Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shaolin Kung Fu - Real Life

Hello Everyone

I am always amused when conversations arise over whether or not 'Traditional Shaolin Kung Fu' can be used in real life situations. Usually the 'Stances' and 'Patterns' are the main topic of the discussion.

Recently I was in a situation where a rather large drunken individual was very aggresive towards me. My initial reaction was to talk my way out and leave immediately. Unfortunately, the gentleman was rather confident because of his larger frame ( compared to mine ) and decided to throw a heavily telegraphed hook ( circular ). I simply 'pressed' forward ( straight ) into a Bow Arrow Stance, gripped his throat and genitals and 'compassionately' felled him.

Here I made a mistake, by felling him, I had surrounded him with possible weapons. The gentleman grabbed a bottle and attempted to smash it into the side of my face. I simply executed the pattern ' Immortal Emerges From Cave'. This stopped the attack and knocked the bottle clear from his hand.

Both grips were then re-applied with a little more force. At this point the man decided to relax and the situation was quickly resolved.

I have been involved in plenty of similar situations before. However, this was my first violent encounter since becoming a student of Sifu Darryl Collett. I can say from 'direct experience' that there were only 2 reasons why I emerged safely from this encounter -

1 - The Bow and Arrow Stance - Kept me stable and secure as he fell.

2 - 'Immortal Emerges From Cave' - Countered his second strike and removed his weapon.

Thanks to the 'compassionate' teachings of my Sifu, I had no desire to strike or hurt my opponent. I simply controlled him while ensuring my safety.

Love and Respect to Everyone

Jamie
    Shaolin Wahnam Scotland

That's excellent Jamie!

Although I suspect Darryl may have paid said angry man to attack you, but it's all about the training...

But seriously, thanks for posting your experience. Sounds like your practising is going very well.

Jordan.

Comment

Well done, Jamie.
      Sifu Anthony Korahais
      www.FlowingZen.com
      (Click here to learn more about me.)

Comment

Inspired by a comment made by Tai Siheng Kai while he was in Scotland, Jamie then offerred to buy his new friend a beer, but this was not accepted.

It just wasn't his day

Comment

Hi Jamie,

Nice post.

lol@Jordan!

Best wishes,
          Jeffrey Segal

Comment

Thanks for that Jamie. Well done on all fronts!!!

Andrew
            Sifu Andrew Barnett
            Shaolin Wahnam Switzerland - www.shaolin-wahnam.ch

Flowing Health GmbH www.flowing-health.ch (Facebook: www.facebook.com/sifuandrew)
            Healing Sessions with Sifu Andrew Barnett - in Switzerland and internationally
            Heilbehandlungen mit Sifu Andrew Barnett - in der Schweiz und International

Comment

Jamie,

you forgot to tell everyone you were sleeping with his wife!

Simon
              Shaolin Wahnam South London
              http://www.wahnam.blogspot.com

Comment

I'm so glad to hear that geniune Kung fu is so powerful actually can be used in real life situations. I congratulate you on the way you handled it.
                “Greatness lies not in never falling, but in rising after every fall"

Comment

A great post Jamie, thankyou for sharing it with us. It really made me stop and think. Excellent

Marcus

Namo Amitabha Buddha Namo Amitabha Buddha Namo Amitabha Buddha

Comment

Great stuff, well done Jamie!
                    As they say round here "Fair play to ye!"

Comment

Well done Jamie, very impressive.
                      Thanks for sharing this with us.

Namo Amitabha Buddha
                      OOOOO
                      Gate Gate ParaGate ParaSamGate Bodhi Svaha
                      There are no wrong turns. Only wrong thinking on the turns our life has taken.
                      - Zen saying
                      www.shaolinwahnam.co.uk
                      http://london.samye.org/london/
                      www.zentreasures.com

Comment

Nice one, Jamie!

It actually made me think how I would react in such a situation. I must say I have *never* been in a fight or anything close. I have no idea what it is like to have someone trying to punch you, let alone smashing a bottle on your head!!
                        It's not really that I purposely avoid it (although I probably do without realizing), but it just never happened.

I think I would be too afraid to punch someone. That is actually my main problem in sparring, I lack "intention". I guess I'm not enough of a warrior!
                        Hubert Razack
                        www.shaolinwahnam.fr
                        www.sourireducoeur.fr

Comment

Don't worry Hubert, I'm sure if you had to you'd find the intention one way or another!

Our training should give us, among many other things, the clarity of thought and confidence to make split second decisions. Hopefully (if it came to it) you wouldn't be hitting someone out of frustration or anger. You'd be hitting them after a clear cut decision that it was the neccessary course of action!

all the best

Ronan
                          "A single light can eliminate the darkness of millennia; a single piece of wisdom can dispel the ignorance of a million years. Do not worry about your past, always think of your future, and for your future always think good thoughts"

Hui Neng The Platform Sutra

Comment

Wow, I'm impressed Jamie!

I have a similar story...

I once was walking back from a party here in college late at night. I was attacked by a drunkard for "eyeing his girl." He yelled and threw a punch at my face. I reacted quickly and stepped forward to the side and countered with a right "Pao Chuan" of Xingyiquan to his solar plexus. He fell and collapsed.

I really wished I had more control over the situation like you...

What should I do in a situation like this?

Comment

Did you maim him?
                              Sifu Anthony Korahais
                              www.FlowingZen.com
                              (Click here to learn more about me.)

Comment

Working...
                              X