Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why doesn't everyone do Chi Kung?

A question I am surprisingly regularly confronted with:

"If (Shaolin Cosmos) Chi Kung is so great, why doesn't everyone already do it?"

Thoughts?

Andrew
    Sifu Andrew Barnett
    Shaolin Wahnam Switzerland - www.shaolin-wahnam.ch

Flowing Health GmbH www.flowing-health.ch (Facebook: www.facebook.com/sifuandrew)
    Healing Sessions with Sifu Andrew Barnett - in Switzerland and internationally
    Heilbehandlungen mit Sifu Andrew Barnett - in der Schweiz und International

I would like to approach this question from the basis of “Why do people do other things rather than Shaolin Qigong?” rather than “Why do people do other style of Qigong?”

The short answer is that people may not know what is good for them.
    I have always wondered why people around me prefer to hang out in some smoky bar drinking the night away instead of doing something good for their bodies. Even if the activity is not something bad, I wonder why they don’t choose something useful to do.

Some time ago, I had an awakening of sorts. I was very into financial matters (still am actually) almost to the exclusion of everything else. I mean, earning money is important – it is why we work so. Then I realized that all that money means nothing if it is taken from me, or I am too weak to enjoy what money can bring. I then began my search for health and self defence.

Think about it – most people have a passion for something, otherwise why are there experts on the most esoteric and obscure topics? Some people devote their entire lives to something that bring no overt benefit and appear utterly silly, like Dodge-ball. I can’t imagine that there are expert coaches in Dodge-ball or biologists specializing in the Timbuktu horned beetle. For many people, their lives do not revolve something that brings them the best health and combat skills. But for them, maybe their chosen activity gives them that inner joy and peace and spiritual cultivation we get from our qigong and gongfu practice.
    百德以孝为先
    Persevere in correct practice

Comment

Interesting answer Wuji .. thanks.

P.S. The question should not necessarily be why doesn't everyone practice OUR system of Chi Kung but more any REAL (particularly a high level) system of Chi Kung.

Andrew
      Sifu Andrew Barnett
      Shaolin Wahnam Switzerland - www.shaolin-wahnam.ch

Flowing Health GmbH www.flowing-health.ch (Facebook: www.facebook.com/sifuandrew)
      Healing Sessions with Sifu Andrew Barnett - in Switzerland and internationally
      Heilbehandlungen mit Sifu Andrew Barnett - in der Schweiz und International

Comment

Andrew

As a quickie, simplistic, but important principal - many people aren't 'up to/for' self-power methods.

Some/many people have a (subconscious?) preference for other-power models be it God(s), Doctors, Healers, Vitamins etc etc etc.

Self-power requires inter alia quite a lot of discipline (as we all know on cold, rainy mornings when the alarm clock goes off). Not everyone has that.

I'm not a shrink but I'm sure one could waffle along the lines that other-power reliance is psychologically a state where one is to an extent still residing in a child-ego state (and even if one merely resents the other-power (state/authority/doctors/etc) one is still defining oneself along such a model).

2c

Mike
        "If you realised how powerful your thoughts are, you would never think a negative thought." Peace Pilgrim.

Comment

I think Sifu said at one time during a course that people who attended one of his cousres were luckier than those who learned from reading his book (though they too were lucky) and this was because they had good karma. (I hope I didn't "misremember" anything..)

So maybe you can only do (high level) chi kung if your karma is good enough.

Roeland
          www.shaolinwahnam.nl
          www.shaolinholland.com

Comment

Here in our country (UAE) most if not all people don't believe in chi Kung. neither in shaolin kung fu or any style. They only love soccer. Therefore, they can't win in the game (lol). I my self believe in chi Kung and kung fu and other styles.

Comment

From my perspective not practising Chi Kung, before I came to practise, was down to a number of things (almost in order):

1st - just simply knowing nothing about it, never having been introduced

2nd - once introduced, not understanding - through it being explained by someone who didn't understand, not having access to someone who could explain and me not listening

3rd - practising diligently but in a way that wasn't Chi Kung

4th - not having aims so not being able to assess when I was making progress or not

5th - losing faith, having a scattergun mind/approach to "improving my situation"

6th - only slowly coming to realise that it required consistent practice over time to achieve/maintain progress

I was lucky enough to stumble onto Sifu's website and go to a regional course at a time when I was prepared to listen and practice

Best,

Barry
              Profile at Capio Nightingale Hospital London Click here
              Chi Kung & Tai Chi Chuan in the UK Fully Alive
              Fully Alive on Facebook Fully Alive
              UK Summer Camp 2017 Click here for details
              sigpic

Comment

Just a couple of quick thoughts:

a) "Now the world don't grove to the beat of just one drum, what might be right for you, may not be right for some" - thanks to different strokes

b) I believe that people are happier paying for someone to do something to them, rather than having to do something themselves. Especially if it requires regular input.

c) The 64 000 dharma doors (apologies if I missed a few ), there are many paths to wonderful health, vitality and spiritual development.

Speaking of which I am no going to walk away from the computer and go outside into the cold, dark, windy night and do my practice.

Marcus

Namo Amitabha Buddha Namo Amitabha Buddha Namo Amitabha Buddha

Comment

That's a very interesting thread! There are also very nice comments to this theme.

Marcus my big brother,

I believe that people are happier paying for someone to do something to them, rather than having to do something themselves. Especially if it requires regular input.
                  That's a really nice statement. I remember talking to a very good friend of mine (A Swiss Chinese speaking) when I said that everything, especially the money we have to pay for a course is so relative.
                  So, one of the first gram sentences, a chinese one I have got introduced to was as follows:

Throw a brick and you get a Jade stone back. pao zhuang ying yu. I don't remember the exact chinese mandarin tones and writings of the words, pectographs, ( I think I put this one into the old forum). I'll reask for them but the meaning should be something like: give something you can afford ( in this case I guess money) and you get something back much more worth (the way), something not payable.
                  That gram sentence is coming from an old chinese war strategy book, some of my chinese speaking brothers and sisters may know what I mean.
                  That makes absolutely sense to me, as I exactely experienced that.

The 64 000 dharma doors (apologies if I missed a few ), there are many paths to wonderful health, vitality and spiritual development
                  I also believe that. Many ancient cultures found a way for good health and spiritual fullfilement. But there were also many others who destroyed them. Sadly.

I do Chi Kung because I have been on the surch for a way to find the truth.

Respectfully

Rolo
                  "From formless to form, from form to formless"

26.08.17-28.08.17: Qi Gong Festival with 6 courses in Bern:
                  Qiflow-Triple Stretch Method-12 Sinewmetamorphisis-Bone Marrow Cleansing-Zen Mind in Qi Gong

Comment

Chi Kung is not for everyone. If it were, then we would be living in a very different world -- a world where, ironically, the need for chi kung would be much less.
                    Last edited by Antonius; 22 September 2004, 12:36 AM.
                    Sifu Anthony Korahais
                    www.FlowingZen.com
                    (Click here to learn more about me.)

Comment

Originally posted by Luo Lang
                      Throw a brick and you get a Jade stone back. pao zhuang ying yu. I don't remember the exact chinese mandarin tones and writings of the words, pectographs
                      As we say in Chinese, 无独有偶 - what a coincidence. I just used this proverb you are referring to in my recent Chinese post: 抛砖引玉
                      百德以孝为先
                      Persevere in correct practice

Comment

Hi,
                        I think it's partly bcoz to learn shaolin cosmos qigong is expensive. In this part of the world, US1000 is about RM4000 (Malaysia) for example. If you consider that the monthly salary of factory production operator, security guards and Police officers (less than 5yrs in the force) in Malaysia is between RM600 - RM800, then it's quite expensive.

Thanks.

Comment

I think it's partly bcoz to learn shaolin cosmos qigong is expensive.
                          I don't buy this argument because Sifu taught for free for decades in Malaysia. He still teaches free to deserving students, in an out of Malaysia. Furthermore, there are probably more genuine masters in Southeast Asia than in any other part of the world, and some of them teach for free or a nomial fee.

The sad fact remains that most people just don't practice.
                          Last edited by Antonius; 7 October 2004, 11:20 PM.
                          Sifu Anthony Korahais
                          www.FlowingZen.com
                          (Click here to learn more about me.)

Comment

Originally posted by Marcus
                            b) I believe that people are happier paying for someone to do something to them, rather than having to do something themselves. Especially if it requires regular input.
                            I think Marcus has the answer for the majority. I've seen the same attitude in many areas of life.

Why are there more football supporters than people who play?
                            Why are concerts packed, and yet music societies struggle for members?

Most people like to sit and watch. They don't want to do the work, they just want to reap the benefits.

I don't want to sound soap-boxy. I'm just trying to make an unattached observation. If thats how they like it, thats up to them, but I think its true for the majority.

Chris.

Comment

Originally posted by cnholmes
                              Why are there more football supporters than people who play?
                              Why are concerts packed, and yet music societies struggle for members?
                              I tend to disagree. This is different, as everyone can't play football or music (or even want to). In the case of Chi Kung, everyone has the ability to practice it, and given the benefits, everyone *should* be interested.

So why isn't it the case?
                              Well you need to have the opportunity to hear about it, be interested, and it must be genuine Chi Kung. This is a rare combination!
                              Hubert Razack
                              www.shaolinwahnam.fr
                              www.sourireducoeur.fr

Comment

Working...
                              X