Direction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by shaolin_mike
    but dont you ever feel that there is more you could be doing with your time?
    Sure I do, but I try and make a distinction between a general feeling that I should be doing 'something' (which serves no purpose whatsoever and only distracts me from doing stuff) and a specific 'I really need to do a, b, c in order to achieve/become x, y, z' (which is called planning for a specific goal and is very much a good thing.)

From my limited experience I think that finding what it is you want to do (and I mean _really_ finding it, not just some random idea), setting a specific goal, is the hardest thing ever. I have not found it yet (I don't think) but I am much better at not stressing about it, focusing on little goals immediately in front of me - there are _so_ many as it is, without worrying about the grand 'purpose' of my life. I feel 'blind' as far a 'life purpose' and future are concerned and the only chance I have of finding out is by groping around in the dark in a methodic and determined manner.

P.S. I really wish this thing had a spell-checker option!
    Last edited by George; 26 September 2004, 05:56 PM.
    George / Юра
    Shaolin Wahnam England

gate gate pāragate pārasaṁgate bodhi svāhā

Comment

methinks i should strike a balance between just floating along and enjoying life on the one hand and setting goals and achieving them on the other hand. Yin Yang an all that u know

I tend to be a little devoid of ambition sometimes or i will have a goal but it will be very vague and i end up forgetting about it.
      from the ♥

Comment

to mike

I dont mean to be nosey but what are your goals?

I think in the back of your mind you truly know whether you can acheive it or not, most people lead straight forward lives but there are a select few that beleive they can really make a mark on this earth to help others, etc.

I'm always thinking that i can do things but when it doesn't happen after a while i get down and start digging myself into deeper and deeper holes, until the next thing comes along.
        I'm very grateful i found chi kung, it is helping be focus and clear my mind, and when i go travel in November im hoping to come back and sort my life out.

tom

p.s. at the moment i'm a bit of a bum

Comment

Originally posted by Tom eb
          a select few that beleive they can really make a mark on this earth to help others, etc
          It's the little things that everyone can easily do that make the most difference - hold open a door for someone you don't know, say thank you to a bus driver, smile at a stranger, be patient when waiting and just nod and smile when people complain about how terrible things are. Everyone can make a mark, but ideally you should make a positive one.

Comment

I agree with darryl's post. Its like that old saying goes 'the easiest way to make the world more beautiful is to tend to your own garden'. I try be patient with people and when i manage it always pays off.

To Tom no its ok i dont see it as being nosy these are the goals i have at the moment:
            Attend the chi kung course in Nottingham and practice whatever i learn over and over and maybe one day become a teacher myself
            Continue breakdancing and join a crew so one day maybe we can win Battle of the Crews (an annual event)
            Get into university, make friends, get good marks and decide what career i want.

dats about it so far, they arent in any specific order
            mike

Edit: did i mention be happy and healthy? lol slipped my mind
            from the ♥

Comment

What happened next?

Dear Mike,

I realize this was an old thread, and possibly you have answered these questions elsewhere in the forum since (if so, I would be happy to know where) but what happened next? Two years have passed, you've taken 2 regional courses with Sifu Wong (taken from your forum profile). Are you happy and healthy? Are you attending university and is that working out for you? How is your training?

What have you learned about life and yourself in the past two years?

Old thread, but I just got curious
              Could someone direct me to mental clarity? I can't see through all this fog.

Comment

Heya Jimmy, welcome to the forum. Thanks for digging up this old thread it was an amusing read for me.

Two years have passed, you've taken 2 regional courses with Sifu Wong (taken from your forum profile). Are you happy and healthy?
                Hmmm..overall I would say I am. I have less vitality than I would like but this is something I'm working on . I have my ups and my downs like anybody else but I feel much better in general than I did before I started chi kung.

Are you attending university and is that working out for you? How is your training?
                Im in 3rd year of university and its going fine. I've even (sort of) picked the career I'd like to get into and have a very very vague plan for the next two years. As for dancing I had to stop that this summer thanks to an injury in my back and the fact that I was working all day. I'm not complaining tho, dancing was fun while it lasted but I'm interested in getting into kung fu now.

What have you learned about life and yourself in the past two years?
                I'm not really sure where to begin answering this question. I've learned a lot about myself, I've learned that spirituality is something I'm seriously interested in. I'd say I've also learned how to deal with problems with a clearer calmer head than before. And I'm learning not to be so pessimistic (what I would have previously called realism but it wasnt really).

Basically I have a whole lot of learning to do and I'm enjoying the journey.

Hope that answers your questions, if there is anything else you would like to ask go ahead.

Mike
                from the ♥

Comment

Hi,

Heya Jimmy, welcome to the forum. Thanks for digging up this old thread it was an amusing read for me.
                  Thank you! Well I had to start somewhere and it seemed like a good opportunity for a before/after story. I know there are a lot of stories out there describing the positive gains from Qi Gong/Kungfu training, but your answer here is more directly related to the posts you wrote two years ago.

It seems to me like you're moving in the right direction, great to read. I look forward to feel the same way in a few years time.

I wish you well in all your endeavors!
                  Could someone direct me to mental clarity? I can't see through all this fog.

Comment

One of the beautiful benefits of the forum is that we can learn ourselves by reading our own posts in the past, and see how well we have advanced since. (and see our mistakes, too )
                    开心 好运气
                    kai xin... .......hao yunqi... - Sifu's speech, April 2005
                    open heart... good chi flow... good luck ...
                    ------------------------------------------------------------
                    Have we not opened up thy heart ...? (The Reading, 94:1)
                    ------------------------------------------------------------
                    Be joyful, ..and share your joy with others -(Anand Krishna)

Comment

I think it is important that life should be lived, not achieved.

Offcourse you can and should work towards achievements in life, but you know the saying, the road being the goal and so forth

A more to the point person would probably say: be here, now.
                      When one door closes, another one opens.

Comment

Mike :
                        In 20 years, as well as tomorrow, I hope to be loving more, enjoying more, cooking more and practicing still more. Life is joyfull, today or in 100 years.
                        Papalo

Comment

Working...
                        X