Direction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Direction

As an 18 year old living in these eventful times life can sometimes get confusing and one begins to wonder whats the point of it all. So im thinking this and then i think hey let me start a thread and see what others think.

What direction is your life going in? What are your goals that you are working to achieve? Where do you see yourself 10 years from now?

ponder a little and then reply please
    mike
    from the ♥

This could get very interesting .

I think I'll wait a bit

Andrew
    Sifu Andrew Barnett
    Shaolin Wahnam Switzerland - www.shaolin-wahnam.ch

Flowing Health GmbH www.flowing-health.ch (Facebook: www.facebook.com/sifuandrew)
    Healing Sessions with Sifu Andrew Barnett - in Switzerland and internationally
    Heilbehandlungen mit Sifu Andrew Barnett - in der Schweiz und International

Comment

hehe high five!
      just playin
      from the ♥

Comment

If there is one thing I have learned in my very short 20 year old life it is that life takes you where it want to take you. I have tried planning my life ahead and thinking that was how it was going to be but life twisted it somehow (and it always turned out good in the end)
        So now I dont have many long termed plans other that I want to be in good health and live a long and happy life.
        “Greatness lies not in never falling, but in rising after every fall"

Comment

Hey i'm glad for you and i hope that works out but me personally i need more. i wonder what kind of person im gonna turn out to be and what im gonna end up doing with my life. I want to be somebody you know?
          from the ♥

Comment

Hello Casper,

It can be very rewarding being a piece of flotsam carried along by the waves and currents of the sea.

You might also consider taking the areas of your life that you consider important: good health, a long and happy life, and getting very specific goals and targets set up for their attainment. Good questions will help you to set SMART goals (Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Realistic, Time orientated) e.g. How will you know you have good health? What does a long and happy life really mean for you? Then plot yourself a course, relax and have fun.

I, speaking only for myself, enjoy having a purpose for my life (To be a good husband and father and to be a good student of Sifu's).

To everyone reading, do what is best for you and at the end of the day only you know the answer to that question.

Kindest regards

Marcus

Namo Amitabha Buddha Namo Amitabha Buddha Namo Amitabha Buddha

Comment

I do have some not long term goals.
              Finishing school with good grades and good exams.
              Becoming better at tai chi chuan and chi kung and also save up some money so I can attend the intensive chi kung course.
              But other than that I sorta remain "passive" and see what life has in store for me.

Comment

Namo Amitabha Buddha Namo Amitabha Buddha Namo Amitabha Buddha

Comment

I have though about this a while back, and came to a conclusion which is similar to Casper's.

Looking back at just over 20 years of my life it seems amaizing how much of a straight line it is. Various things happened but looking back their outcome seems perfect, although some were very stressfull at the time. It seems that life has a great way of just working out. The only thing that seems to get in the way is stressing too much over things that you will realize, later, are of no importance.

If I may use the (often used) metaphor of life as a river. What's behind you is gone forever, no use trying to swim back. You have no idea what is in front (so what's the point stressing and making lots of plans), so the only thing you can do is be where you are and be carried along. However, it's not all about just being carried along, it's also about keeping your eyes open to the nice stuff floating past on the river (i.e. the opportunities life gives you) and then putting in a bit if effort, when necessary, to grab hold of these as they go past. (Lets try not get carried away with a metaphore here, or we will end up with an island of stuff floating down the river after a while ).

Stress too much about the past and/or future and you will miss opportunities going past and within reach.

I guess the various ways of looking at this stuff is really a reflection of the person doing the looking, hence it's is a bit different for everyone, perhaps. YMMV

.George.
                  Last edited by George; 23 September 2004, 11:25 PM.
                  George / Юра
                  Shaolin Wahnam England

gate gate pāragate pārasaṁgate bodhi svāhā

Comment

but dont you ever feel that there is more you could be doing with your time?
                    from the ♥

Comment

Sure, but it's a matter of priority. I don't normally think of what I could be doing, but what I AM doing and I'm happy with that.
                      Otherwise I think I'd become miserable
                      And is there really any way to waste life?

Comment

I see what you mean i guess i just dont have that natural happiness in me yet. Ive not been doing chi kung long so maybe i will start feeling that way soon. I will say that i always feel better after a chi kung or yoga session and more energetic..
                        from the ♥

Comment

I think it would be kind of unnatural for an 18 year old person not to feel that life is an adventure he wants to make the most of. Good for you.

I remember saying to someone once "But how do I do that?". The other person, much older and wiser than me, suggested I might rephrase the question as "How do I do that".

Best wishes,

Barry
                          Profile at Capio Nightingale Hospital London Click here
                          Chi Kung & Tai Chi Chuan in the UK Fully Alive
                          Fully Alive on Facebook Fully Alive
                          UK Summer Camp 2017 Click here for details
                          sigpic

Comment

Mike,

By the way I just remembered something written by Marcus Aurelius, a Roman Emporer, around 1850 years ago. In his meditations he wrote "Waste no more time on arguing what a good man should be. Be one".

Best,

Barry
                            Profile at Capio Nightingale Hospital London Click here
                            Chi Kung & Tai Chi Chuan in the UK Fully Alive
                            Fully Alive on Facebook Fully Alive
                            UK Summer Camp 2017 Click here for details
                            sigpic

Comment

i just made the huge step of turning 19 from 18(obviously). but i feel in the same situation of wanting to make more of my life and gving it some sort of meaning. I'm hoping Sifu Wong will help me when i go on his course in Malaysia, penang in November and in the meantime im just trying to stay healthy by practising my chi kung and having funand enjoying life with friends.

Tom

Comment

Working...
                              X