Chi Kung without Chi?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I agree with Sifu Anthony - Bingo!

That is what "feeling a chi flow" is all about - not what happens during your fifteen minutes of practice only, but the energy that you will have for the rest of the 23 hours and 45 minutes of the day to enjoy life more!

Enjoy your concert!

Piti Parra Duque

Comment

[QUOTE=That is what "feeling a chi flow" is all about - not what happens during your fifteen minutes of practice only, but the energy that you will have for the rest of the 23 hours and 45 minutes of the day to enjoy life more!

[/QUOTE]

I agree with you absolutely. Many people feel excited and elated about what happened during the few minutes of practice. This is a misception that they have acquired tremendous amount of "chi". This happens because of blood increased blood circulation. This is normal and no big deal. It happens in any form of exercise. Run a 100 yards, one will feel the same or even drinking a glass of wine the same will happen to some people.

"Chi" is not the ultimate of martial art. To be successful in the quest there are many things to consider not just "chi". One should, amongst other things, be more sensitive to one's "nei li" (internal power or strength) and be able to deliever one's internal power or strength to an "object" e.g. your opponent.This is the ultimate purpose of martial art if one is training for combat purpose. If one is training just for health reasons then this may not be the requirement.

I am just expressing my personal views of the matter.

Best Wishes,
      Frank

Comment

Hi Frank :

Good point. I agree 100% with you because you can not do anything with Chi and without internal force. Chi doesn't exist for many people and despite that they are good martial marts students and can kick the *** of someone who believes in Chi but has no internal force.

Regards

Alberto

Comment

Dr. Loo - it´s good to see you on the forum, I thought you were leaving somewhere for a while! Thanks for your good additions.

I agree with you. On the other hand, I would like to add that Chi has sometimes been translated as Vital Energy - something essential to be alive, to be vital. So the use of techniques that generate concious management of vital energy can be used to cure pains and illnesses, ..., for combat application, as you and Alberto describe, ..., and for Spiritual Cultivation. It has a plethora of applications that have to do with Life itself in all its manifestations. If you haven´t already done so, I suggest reading Sifu Wong´s books on Chi Kung to get a more profound and extensive view about "Chi".

Piti Parra Duque

Comment

Dear Piti,

I agree with you that "chi" is an essential life supporting "vital energy" which I described as blood circulation. I don't have to emphasize the importance of blood circulation which is obvious.

I also agree with you that "chi" i.e vital energy is used to cultivate spiritual awareness.

"Chi" alone will not make a martial art artist more powerful but a well regulated blood circulation does play an important part if one wants to increase one's internal power or strength. A proficient martial art artist needs to develop "internal power" (nei li) without which it is just like what is commonly known as "flowery fists - embroidered feet". This is the difference between martial arts and wushu.

For this reason a proficient martial art artist will be able to do wushu much better. In Chinese we called such a person having "Yau Dai" (Cantonese) or in English it means "having a solid foundation" or " Gay Boon Kung" (Cantonese).

Best Wishes,
            Frank

Comment

Grateful for being alive

Hi everyone.

I enjoyed reading this thread.

Now, when I am practicing, if someone asked me what do I practice, I would say I am practicing Chi Kung; sometimes using moving Taijiquan Forms, the other time just standing; practicing stances is like doing sitting meditation. Can be done as well using other forms or movements such as aerobics, any forms will do.

I am just beginning to understand that Chikung is also meditation; in fact what we usually refer as meditation (sitting meditation) is merely a practice of meditation: we do meditate continuously in our lives. The difference is that most of the time we are not aware of it.

Sometimes it is also called zen: for example when I am enjoying my lunch and forget anything else, I am practicing zen. The same for any other activities in life, it can be done as zen, or meditation.

That's why I am being grateful for the simple fact that I am alive.

Best regards,
              Joko
              开心 好运气
              kai xin... .......hao yunqi... - Sifu's speech, April 2005
              open heart... good chi flow... good luck ...
              ------------------------------------------------------------
              Have we not opened up thy heart ...? (The Reading, 94:1)
              ------------------------------------------------------------
              Be joyful, ..and share your joy with others -(Anand Krishna)

Comment

Hi Joko,

You have got the right attitude. Doing something is better than not doing anything at all. This will keep you fit and healthy.

As I have said before be it martial art or wushu it is good. The goal is more important than anything else. I always get very upset when people tell me this is wushu and not marital art. So what. It is better than sitting at home and accumulating fat. This is exactly what is happening to an average American.

Keep going and you will be be fit and healthy.

Selamat from Macau,
                Frank

Comment

Originally posted by Dr.Frank Loo
                  It is better than sitting at home and accumulating fat. This is exactly what is happening to an average American.
                  Not this American

Mark
                  少林華南台灣 Shaolin Wahnam Taiwan

Facebook

"Then how could chi kung overcome diseases where the cause is unknown or when there is no cure? The question is actually incorrect. The expressions "the cause is unknown" and "there is no cure" are applicable only in the Western medical paradigm. The expressions no longer hold true in the chi kung paradigm. In the chi kung paradigm the cause is known, and there is a cure."

-Grandmaster Wong Kiew Kit

Comment

Hi Mark,

I am sure you are not the one. What I said was "the average American". This is WHO statistic. You may not agree with it. It will be very interesting just to stand an hour outside WalMart and see how many overweight men and women passing by. I had done it before while waiting for my wife doing her shopping there.

Frank

Comment

Progress Report

G'day Everyone,

Just thought I'd drop a line to let you know how my progress was going and also to ask a couple of questions.

First of all, the other day, I had a really amazing session. I was practising lifting the sky and similar to a session I've had before, I felt overwhelmed by happiness which made me laugh and cry almost at the same time. I found myself smiling from the heart before I'd even settled to get in the right frame of mind for practising! I then had a great session and I felt very happy afterwards. In comparison to tonight, I have just finished lifting the sky and found that I barely moved in chi flow at all and found it hard to focus, although many people have told me that this is to be expected so I'm not overly concerned. However, whilst doing the palm and point massage just after practise, I was startled by a car door being slammed outside my house. Is this indicitive of not being able to properly relax or am I just worrying too much ?

Comment

Cragget in Aus!

What if we look at it from a different perspective:
                        "...and as soon as I ended my excercise I was so aware, my perception was so high, that I was surprised to hear a door being slammed outside my apartment as if it was just inches from me...!"

It didn´t happen to me, it happened to you, but sometimes a different angle on the same event helps to clarify things:

Even though the chi flow is a special event, we should also focus on several other indicators of success in our Shaolin Wahnam Chi Kung practice that are a result of said practice and not part of its 15 minutes, such as calmness and tranquility, health and vitality, clarity of mind, harmony and balance of intellect and emotions, focus and relaxation, a permanent capacity to Smile from the Heart, augmented perceptional awareness, connectedness to others and All, etc.

Piti Parra Duque

Comment

Piti Siheng,

Thanks for that clarification. I'd never thought of it that way before...And come to think of it I am noticing changes in my everyday life since I've been practising. I frequently gauge my practice on how I feel day to day so it's been good. And the more I practise, the more I begin to understand how important it is to let go and not worry, so thanks for that.

Paz,

Craig English

Comment

Congratulations brother, you are now practicing Shaolin Wahnam Chi Kung for Health and Vitality...! Enjoy.

Piti

Comment

Chi And Chi Kung

Amitoufo! Forum,

I will tell you, that A main magority of my experience in Chi Kung (for Now), came from books, learning to feel the different points opeing and of course Meditation for grand Circulation of Chi around the Body, how ever I will note that In class we have learned and are still learning "lifting the Sky" and new to us " Carrying the Moon" now I note this: Lifting the Sky has a energizing effect on my Shoulders/Chest area, I feel a cool energy around that part of the body, and "Carrying the Moon" seems to give a cool energy feeling in my knees, I also believe now because of that exercise, my knee's seem to be getting stronger! And of course the Followingly still mediation we do as well gives me a feeling that the Chi or cool energy comes up from the feet to the waist, any one else feel something similar?, I guess in my own opinion Chi is an experience that has to build over time, before it is really felt during Practice.

Amitoufo! May all receive Great Blessing and Merit!

Young Caine: How does man rid himself of such terrible things?
                              Master Kahn: Each man must start with himself, within himself.. By slowly forging his Chi, the bond between the finite and the infinte, the inner essense of his strenght and the limitless power of the Universe, only thus can you conquer the power.. and the presence of evil.

Comment

Working...
                              X