Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

increased sensitivity

Dear All,

One of the benefits I have found by practicing Shaolin Cosmos Chi Kung is that I have naturally developed a much more refined sense of what food/drinks do to me in terms of my personal enjoyment, sense of wellness, and my daily practice of chi kung.

In the case of alcohol, I have found that I am increasingly aware of the generally negative effect it can have on my one or two immediately following chi kung practice sessions if I consume too much (which for me seems to be any amount over about 100ml - lesser volumes do not seem to cause any problems). Specifically, I experience a sort of energetic dullness or lethargy which takes one or two practice sessions to clear.

I enjoy consuming alcohol (especially a nice dry white wine), but I also value the quality of my daily practice sessions. So I find I'm naturally drinking less frequently these days and I ( usually ) consume less amounts on a given occasion.

Perhaps as I progress further this won't be needed.

I know many others in the Wahnam Chi Kung family have experienced similar heightened sensitivity to various things and I'd be interested in hearing their stories re alcohol.

Best wishes, Neil.

Comment

Dear All,

If you have some interesting stories re alcohol and chi kung practice, then please also consider posting your details as part of some new research on Shaolin Cosmos Chikung and drug addition, being started by Sifu Damian.

More details of the study can be found at:

Best wishes, Neil.

Comment

As I'm writing this its friday afternoon, and me and my colleagues are heading out for "fredagspils" a norwegain experssion for after work fun. There is a mild struggle going on wether I should enjoy a glass or two concerning my chi kung later, but its not something I worry about.

A social ritual (beer doesnt even tase especially good ) vs chi kung.. hmm what a choice..

If I should happen to have a drink after all and I experience something notable about my night practise, I'll let you know.
        When one door closes, another one opens.

Comment

Originally posted by Omar View Post
          A social ritual (beer doesnt even tase especially good ) vs chi kung.. hmm what a choice..
          should be a no-brainer but is it?? Chi kung is practiced to enhance our daily fun. Who knows, may be it will enhance the "benefit" of drinking per volume consumed. ha, ha.

Comment

Originally posted by Omar View Post
            As I'm writing this its friday afternoon, and me and my colleagues are heading out for "fredagspils" a norwegain experssion for after work fun. There is a mild struggle going on wether I should enjoy a glass or two concerning my chi kung later, but its not something I worry about.

If I should happen to have a drink after all and I experience something notable about my night practise, I'll let you know.
            Well I'm not a big fan of practicing chi kung after drinking but I would argue that beer does taste especially good! (you have to stay away from the cheapo mass market type of stuff though)

Comment

So, liquor before chi kung, never sicker--beer before chi kung, you're in the clear

Comment

Personally, I think it's a judgment call about how you feel when you're about to practice. If you feel ok then practice. If you're buzzing or drunk, don't (Safety First). For this purpose, I don't think it matters if you drank liquor or beer or wine or moonshine!

My experience is in-line with what others have said in this thread -I don't really enjoy getting drunk. For me, the whole issue comes back to enjoying yourself. I enjoy being sober. At the same time, I enjoy a good beer or glass of wine, and I don't see a conflict here.

If I were in Omar's situation, I might go out for a bit with my co-workers, enjoy myself (which might involve a couple of drinks), then practice later. Alternately, I might go practice first then meet up with my co-workers later.

Right, time to practice, then join my friends for a cook out and a couple of beers out in the beautiful weather we're having today!
                Chris Didyk
                Shaolin Wahnam USA

Thank You.

Comment

Something strange about water?

Originally posted by Grimlock View Post
                  If I were in Omar's situation, I might go out for a bit with my co-workers, enjoy myself (which might involve a couple of drinks), then practice later.
                  Just what happened. But my practise was rather strange - This friday was the first day this year "warm" enough to practise outside, so as I walked home an hour or so past midnight I stopped by the local river to practise.

Now, I was not drunk as I stopped drinking that much years ago, but just after 2-3 repetitions I was going into a very vigirous chi flow, unable to finish any more proper repetitions I just let go. Mind you, I was standing litterally two steps from the river. After a few minutes of this with no signs of slowing down, I focused at dan tian and did standing meditation for a few minutes.

Then, just to test, I walked away from the river and started doing lifting the sky again. This time I managed to finish 10 repetitions before going into chi flow. Although I felt energized, it was nothing compared to standing a meter from the flowing water. Cant wait til we get another "warm" day so I can visit the river again.

I heard water collects energy, but did not think it could influence ones practise this much?
                  When one door closes, another one opens.

Comment

Alcohol and Chi? I don't know. I recall reading that "spontenous combustion" cases had something to do with excess alcohol content in the body and unexplained energy release, which has often been thought to be "chi" itself. What if someone practicing Taiji has a unexpected spontenous release of chi while his body cells contain excess alcohol and "Poof," ignition and blast off? Something to think about . Could be cool, but maybe not.

Ayudar
                    Last edited by Ayudar; 13 February 2008, 03:55 AM. Reason: spelling correction

Comment

Wine-immortals

QA8

A selection of answers provided by Sifu Wong Kiew Kit to questions asked by the public on Shaolin Kungfu, Chi Kung, Taijiquan and Zen
                      Damian Kissey
                      Shaolin Wahnam Sabah , Malaysia .
                      www.shaolinwahnamsabah.com

Comment

Thanks for this most interessting sight of view, Damian!

On Master's level many things become quite relative. I also remember Kai Taisiheng telling me wonderous stories about Masters he met, who performed special feats as a result of their internal force.

It is important to bear in mind to practice the Arts to enjoy our daily life, rather than getting a Slave of it.

Nevertheless, it's also important to attain Ying/Yang harmony.
                        "From formless to form, from form to formless"

26.08.17-28.08.17: Qi Gong Festival with 6 courses in Bern:
                        Qiflow-Triple Stretch Method-12 Sinewmetamorphisis-Bone Marrow Cleansing-Zen Mind in Qi Gong

Comment

My father, who was a Karate expert, doesn't appreciate one kind of people,
                          those who – in his words – "can't handle their drinks".
                          Enjoy your journeys,
                          Racheli Wittert-Ashur

"There is a crack, a crack in everything. That's how the light gets in." Leonard Cohen

Comment

I'd heard of "beer goggles", but recently I saw a newspaper public service announcement talking about "beer muscles" which I thought was pretty funny. I guess it's referring to people looking for fights as a result of a few beers. "Beer muscles are not real muscles!"

Comment

Originally posted by Ayudar View Post
                              Alcohol and Chi? I don't know. I recall reading that "spontenous combustion" cases...
                              Hmm, drink more water :-)

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                                My father, who was a Karate expert, doesn't appreciate one kind of people, those who – in his words – "can't handle their drinks".
                                ...or don't drink at all, or avoid handling the drink by getting someone else to pour it, then drink it through a straw :-)

Comment

Working...
                                X