No announcement yet.

Chi Kung and alcohol

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

....having said that, I haven't gone off beer all together..I still enjoy a good Coopers every now and then. Aussie beer is among the best in the world, not being biased or anything...

Happy practising, everybody.

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by Casper
      Should you give up drinking alcoholic beverages once you've started practicing chi kung or can you drink beers, whine ect?
      in moderation all things are beneficial. wine and beer are derived of natural ingredients, consumed by natural people, having a natural effect. thus is the way of nature. caribou walk hundreds of miles for the amanita muscaria mushroom, jaguars eat psychedelic plants, cats enjoy catnip... certain "escapes" are provided naturally by nature to improve ones perceptions... if this were not the case there would be none of it to be found naturally. all is provided for us by nature, be it enlightenment or recreation... nature is the way.

Comment

G'day everyone!

certain "escapes" are provided naturally by nature to improve ones perceptions...
        I understand what you're saying but I don't know if I agree with you entirely. I do realise that you're referring to consumption in moderation. The effect alcohol has on the body is that when filtered through the kidneys, the release of Anti-Diuretic Hormone or ADH is supressed, thereby allowing copius amounts of water to be treated as waste and filter out the body. This is why when people are drunk, they mostly urinate water. It also rids the body of electrolytes, sugars and other essential nutrients that the body requires. So that's why people are hungover the morning after; being deprived of those nutrients produces that effect. Clearly I'm exaggerating here as I'm referring to intoxication, but is alcohol really beneficial to the senses even in moderation?

Comment

Drugs

Dear Uki,

You mentioned
          amanita muscaria mushroom, ...psychedelic plants, [and] catnip.
          Do you also enjoy these mind altering substances?

Still,
          Charles David Chalmers
          Brunei Darussalam

Comment

Just for your information :
            "Amatoxins - The symptoms of amatoxin poisoning in humans are a ghoulish series of four phases, beginning with the not-too-alarming latency phase of 6-12 hours. This is followed by the gastrointestinal phase, where the human gets its first inkling that something is not quite right. The gastrointestinal phase consists of diarrhea, dehydration, vomiting and, not surprisingly, abdominal pains. The third phase begins with the patient feeling deceptively better off (another latency period) until the fourth and final phase hits. The final phase consists of the final degradation of the liver and kidney until, between the fourth and eighth day after ingestion, the patient lapses into hepatic coma combined with renal failure, ending in death. All this from a dose of 0.1 mg/kg body weight or even lower. That's not much mushroom to kill a person!"
            Papalo

Comment

Originally posted by Juan Parra
              Just for your information :
              "Amatoxins - The symptoms of amatoxin poisoning in humans are a ghoulish series of four phases, beginning with the not-too-alarming latency phase of 6-12 hours. This is followed by the gastrointestinal phase, where the human gets its first inkling that something is not quite right. The gastrointestinal phase consists of diarrhea, dehydration, vomiting and, not surprisingly, abdominal pains. The third phase begins with the patient feeling deceptively better off (another latency period) until the fourth and final phase hits. The final phase consists of the final degradation of the liver and kidney until, between the fourth and eighth day after ingestion, the patient lapses into hepatic coma combined with renal failure, ending in death. All this from a dose of 0.1 mg/kg body weight or even lower. That's not much mushroom to kill a person!"
              amanita species contain a variety of potentionally lethal members including... amanita phalloides(deathcap), amanita virosa complex(a lethal amanita with an attitude, also known as the destroying angel or fool's mushroom reminding one of some no frills pasta sauce label); of the galerina species(or stormhats) including, galerina autumnalis(timeless autumn) and galerina venenata; a few from lepiota such as the lepiota josserandii; and of course the conocybe filaris(infamous member of the LBM's)... these mushrooms contain the toxin technically called amanitin, highly lethal in minute quantities. notice that amanita muscaria is not in the list; this mushroom is food for the mind. other amanita's such as amanita rubescens(the blusher), are quite good for food provided you know what you are looking for; this mushroom is a highly prized edible in mushroom hunting circles. the amanita mushrooms should be the most respected mushrooms one first learns to identify. ironically enough the amanita phalloides and the the amanita virosa are both sweet and delicate to the taste(a personal experience to verify my teachers descrptions). fortunately this type of mushroom toxin is not the worst of the worst.

orellanin is a highly toxic compound found specifically in certain cortinarius species(webcaps) such as cortinarius gentilis. syptoms consist of acute chronic renal failure... leading to death, yet not after an onset of anywhere from 3-14 days. painful bloody urine, followed sometimes by a kidney transplant usually are the direct manisfestation of this type of poisoning. one is led to believe this is amongst the most painful forms of dying in the human flesh...

i have been eating the amanita muscaria and subspecies a. formosa for years without any problems. i do not see what the problem is considering a majority of the worlds population trusts in products manufactured in the pharmecutical industry(which i might add is man-made, mushrooms are not). how naieve it is to assume that the planet does not offer freely some form of spiritual food. nature provides for all things... including understanding. if this was not the case, there would be no way of nature.
              Last edited by uki; 25 April 2006, 01:06 AM.

Comment

i have been eating the amanita muscaria and subspecies a. formosa for years without any problems.
                Interesting logic. A smoker could say the same thing for years and years, but it would be foolish. Just because you don't see any problems now doesn't mean there aren't any. If you let me do a Chinese pulse diagnosis on you, I'm quite sure that I would find some problems you aren't aware of.

And with all due respect, Uki, even if you cannot see any "problems" with your physical health, I think many of us can see problems with your mental health. The fact that you've been eating psychedelic mushrooms for years comes as no surprise to me. Actually, it explains a lot about your posts.

You might argue that I am judging you, and that's fine. But then again, you walked onto our family forum and promptly announced that you are enlightened (among other questionable things). If you can't see how your statements open you to questioning and criticism, well, then perhaps you had better cut down on the psychedelic mushrooms.
                Sifu Anthony Korahais
                www.FlowingZen.com
                (Click here to learn more about me.)

Comment

Uki, you might be interested in a thread I started on psychedelic mushrooms awhile ago... http://wongkiewkit.com/forum/showthread.php?p=38365

Ryan
                  I'm floating down a river
                  Oars freed from their holes long ago
                  Lying face up on the floor of my vessel
                  I marvel at the stars
                  And feel my heart overflow

Comment

If man is made by nature, and it's natural for man to make things, does that not mean man made things are natural as well?

Sifu Andy Cusick

Shaolin Wahnam Thailand
                    Shaolin Qigong

sigpic

Connect:
                    Twitter Facebook LinkedIn

"a trained mind brings health and happiness"
                    - ancient wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by Antonius
                      Interesting logic. A smoker could say the same thing for years and years, but it would be foolish. Just because you don't see any problems now doesn't mean there aren't any. If you let me do a Chinese pulse diagnosis on you, I'm quite sure that I would find some problems you aren't aware of.

And with all due respect, Uki, even if you cannot see any "problems" with your physical health, I think many of us can see problems with your mental health. The fact that you've been eating psychedelic mushrooms for years comes as no surprise to me. Actually, it explains a lot about your posts.

You might argue that I am judging you, and that's fine. But then again, you walked onto our family forum and promptly announced that you are enlightened (among other questionable things). If you can't see how your statements open you to questioning and criticism, well, then perhaps you had better cut down on the psychedelic mushrooms.
                      i am not saying my body is without flaws, we all have them. constructive criticism builds perception. i completely understand why my statements open questioning and criticism... mushroom season has just begun, the mayapples are up, the fiddleheads are unfolding, sound the black trumpets, dance in the dew... the mushrooms are coming up... whew. they are part of my regular diet.

Comment

just thought i'd share a recent discovery... http://www.napavalleyregister.com/ar...iq_3394640.txt

Comment

Originally posted by Antonius

Why should there not be the same subtle toxicity from 'moderate' alcohol and coffee consumption? Just because these drugs are more accepted in this society doesn't mean they are any safer for the body or mind. Having drunk alcohol only once in about 4 years I can say that my body does not like it now that I have become sensitive to the effects. Same with coffee. Caffeine is a strong stimulant and when I have occasionally drunk it, I notice increased heart rate, palpitations, over-accelerated thought, and insomnia. In this society of caffeine addicts, regular users are tolerant to these effects and do not notice them. Can this be healthy?

I did not arrive at this position by depriving myself of pleasures. On the contrary - I don't enjoy those things any more - I find them positively unpleasant.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy
                            If man is made by nature, and it's natural for man to make things, does that not mean man made things are natural as well?

no. when mans mind, body, and spirit are out of harmony with the way of nature, the product of ones creations likewise are in essence "un-natural". anything that goes against the laws and principles of nature is not natural, nor able to stand in truth. so if mans mind is going against the way, his manisfestations(creations) also will be going against the way.

Comment

By this "the way" do you refer to the eightfold path? If so, I think your interpretation of it is very different from mine

..and when uki apparently somewhere stated he is enlightened, isnt he right? Are'nt we all, except on different lenghts down the road to realize it
                              When one door closes, another one opens.

Comment

Many great martial arts experts have enjoyed alcohol!

X

Comment

Working...
                                X