travelling tips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• travelling tips

Because the Wahnam family is scattered throughout the world, Sifu Wong does alot of flying. Are there any specific exercises or practices that the Wahnam instructors or Sifu Wong himself perform while flying or to combat jetlag?
    I am especially curious about how Sifu Wong handles really long flights, since I am flying to New Zealand in about a month. I know that for security reasons, US Federal regulations now prohibit performing Lifting the Sky in the galley area.
    Thank you so much!
    Chia-Hua

Dan Tian Breathing! (Told you it was the best )

Mind you, given that a plane cycles the same air over and over (and they really object to you opening a window) it may be a better idea to practice before and after the flight instead of during.

Seriously, I never get jetlag so I can't really say beyond the fact that I don't get jetlag even on 10-12 hour flights.

Comment

Listen to him

Hey Sunyata,
      I would listen to Darryl as someone who has spent time travelling with him and shared rooms. I dont think I have met some one who has so little sleep. You know the duracell adverts that has the motto It keeps going on and on and they have the little rabbit( the annoying cymbals crashing one). I am will to put money on then fact that Darryl could out last that
      Mark A

ps it is also really abboying when you are sharing a hotel room and Darryl is creeping around the room late at night because he cant he cant get to sleep unlike us mere mortals
      Sifu Mark Appleford

sigpic

Comment

Sifu doesn't get jetlag. It's eerie. I've seen him come off a 20-hour flight from Singapore to Toronto, and all he can talk about is going to Congee Wong for dinner. He hops around the world like this all the time.

I think Sifu is pretty much doing Dantian breathing all the time, whether he's at his computer, on a plane, or in horse stance.

Unless you can also do that, then your best bet is to do some chi kung before the flight (in the airport, even), and then do some more as soon as you can after you land. You might also try some Pushing Mountains in your chair while your neighbor is sleeping.
        Sifu Anthony Korahais
        www.FlowingZen.com
        (Click here to learn more about me.)

Comment

Thank you all for the advice! I unfortunately do not have the skill for dantian breathing. I remember Sifu Wong writing about some exercise, but I can't remember the name exactly, something like "sitting still to preserve the spirit" which was just sitting still, relaxed. That does not surprise me that he doesn't have jet lag, though... I guess if your qigong is strong enough you wouldn't need much sleep at all. Pushing mountains while seated would be better than lifitng the sky, for sure!

Comment

I do Dan Tian or Abdominal Breathing when on long flights .. or when driving the car longer distances etc. It doesn't stop me getting jet lag completely but it helps a LOT. And over time, the amount of jet lag has considerably reduced. If you check through Sifu's questions and answers I am pretty sure he mentions a method there.

Andrew
            Sifu Andrew Barnett
            Shaolin Wahnam Switzerland - www.shaolin-wahnam.ch

Flowing Health GmbH www.flowing-health.ch (Facebook: www.facebook.com/sifuandrew)
            Healing Sessions with Sifu Andrew Barnett - in Switzerland and internationally
            Heilbehandlungen mit Sifu Andrew Barnett - in der Schweiz und International

Comment

Try this :
              Answer 8
              Andrew
              Sifu Andrew Barnett

Flowing Health GmbH www.flowing-health.ch (Facebook: www.facebook.com/sifuandrew)

Comment

Great!

Thank you Andrew! I did a search and found this page, answer 5. Slightly different, but both practices seem to be forms of "expedient" qigong. Am I correct in assuming that neither abdominal breathing nor dan-tian breathing should be attempted from instruction in a book? The "closing eyes to nourish the spirit seems safe though, any ideas?
                Thank you,
                Chia-Hua

Comment

Having learnt Dan Tian Breathing and, earlier, Abdominal Breathing from Sifu I wouldn't personally attempt them using the instructions from a book. This is my opinion though and based on having, as mentioned, had the opportunity to learn from Sifu personally.

Sifu's books are great and offer very detailed descriptions of various exercises. He also offers warnings where appropriate. Follow the directions he gives and heed any and all warnings / advice given there and you should be ok. Not following the Master's advice would be, as you know, foolish. As for books by other authors I can't say.

On the other hand "closing eyes to nourish the spirit" is, as Sifu describes in the link you provided, safe to practice from the instructions given.

Andrew
                  Sifu Andrew Barnett

Comment

Purely by coincidence............

........ I just found this.
                    Hmm!
                    jetlag

Comment

relaxation meditation

A good one for a plane is "head to toe relaxation". Relax your mind.

You should feel quite good after.

Try it!

Curtis

Comment

Thanks Curtis, I'll give it a shot. I've been practicing "not worrying or intellectuallizing about relaxation" and "just doing it". My taijiquan school is pretty forms oriented, so I feel like intellectualizing is second nature.
                        Celticdragon, that is a great link! It's always interesting to read what Sifu Montaigue has to say.

Comment

Chi Kung on a moving vehicle

Dear all,
                          I seem to remember reading in Sifu Wong's book "The Art of Chi Kung" that it is not advisable to practice Dynamic Chi Kung patterns while in a moving vehicle as you will lose chi. I would assume that as long as you practice it correctly (having been taught by a master) something like abdominal/dan tien breathing would be safe enough. But I would not be so sure about "bei mu yang shen" (in Chinese, which means "closing the eyes to nourish the spirit") as mentioned in the link provided by sunyata although I do not actually know. Maybe sitting on a chair would be OK, but not in the lotus position?

Namo Ami Tuo Fo

Comment

I've been practicing "not worrying or intellectuallizing about relaxation" and "just doing it".
                            After you have done you can intellectuallize. That would be the part of the schoolar warriors or monk warriors. After experiencing comes intellectuallizing. I think that is what they did in the past.....
                            "From formless to form, from form to formless"

26.08.17-28.08.17: Qi Gong Festival with 6 courses in Bern:
                            Qiflow-Triple Stretch Method-12 Sinewmetamorphisis-Bone Marrow Cleansing-Zen Mind in Qi Gong

Comment

I remember Shifu talking about two technigues concerning this plane problem:
                              1.) Dantian breathing
                              2.) Enjoying a Cosmic shower

When I was travelling more I did as recommended Lifting the Sky before and after the flight
                              Sometimes there is a space problem. But if you fly with Air Malysia there is even a praying space in the Airplane for Muslim
                              "From formless to form, from form to formless"

26.08.17-28.08.17: Qi Gong Festival with 6 courses in Bern:
                              Qiflow-Triple Stretch Method-12 Sinewmetamorphisis-Bone Marrow Cleansing-Zen Mind in Qi Gong

Comment

Working...
                              X