Clear All

• Si Jo (Great, Great Grandmaster)

Si Jo – Great Great Grandmaster
    師祖
    师祖

Cantonese: si jo
    Cantonese (Yale): si1 jou2
    Mandarin (Pinyin): shi1 zu3

Please note that the first and second set of characters are the traditional and simplified characters respectively.

Here's an image for those who cannot see Chinese characters in their web browser.
    Last edited by YunXiang; 17 October 2004, 09:13 PM.

This term can be found on Sifu's Q&A September 2000 (part 3) page under Q&A no. 7. Here's the link:

A selection of answers provided by Sifu Wong Kiew Kit to questions asked by the public on Shaolin Kungfu, Chi Kung, Taijiquan and Zen

Comment

Si Jo (Great, Great Grandmaster)

Good Day Sifu/Instructor Michael Chow!

Can you tell us what is necessary that some one have done for becoming a Great, Great Grandmaster?

THANKS-GOODBYE

Comment

Hugo, the answer to that question is in Sifu Wong's Q&A, which Michael pasted above.

For convenience, I'll paste the text here:
        Your si-gung's teacher is called si-tai-gung, and his teacher is called si-jo. The founder of a system or the head of a generation line is called jo-si.

Jung-si means "teacher of the tradition". This title is usually addressed to the living head of a system. It is also sometimes addressed to a famous master.

Let us take this generation line as an example. Chee Seen --> Lok Ah Choy --> Wong Kai Ying --> Wong Fei Hoong --> Lam Sai Weng --> Lam Jo.

Lam Jo would address Lam Sai Weng as sifu, Wong Fei Hoong as si-gung, Wong Kai Ying as si-tai-gung, and Lok Ah Choy as si-jo. Anyone in this generation line from Wong Fei Hoong downward, including students today, would address Chee Seen, being the head of the generation line, as jo-si. Technically, Lok Ah Choy and Wong Kai Ying could also address Chee Seen as jo- si, but usually they would not because they were close enough to call him si-gung and sifu respectively.

Chee Seen is the jung-si of the system. But Lok Ah Choy, Wong Kai Ying, Wong Fei Hoong and Lam Sai Weng, being famous masters, can rightly be referred to as jung-si too.
        Sifu Anthony Korahais
        www.FlowingZen.com
        (Click here to learn more about me.)

Comment

Good Day!

Sifu Antonius, Thanks for your answers!

So I understand that a: Si Jo (Great, Great Grandmaster) is a title to call a Master that are 4 generation back on the lineage! Right? There is not other way that a Master can be call Si Jo (Great, Great Grandmaster) ? Right ?

Good Bye!

Comment

Yes, Hugo. You are correct. And now you see that, if you read carefully enough, you can find all kinds of answers!
            Sifu Anthony Korahais
            www.FlowingZen.com
            (Click here to learn more about me.)

Comment

Originally posted by Antonius
              And now you see that, if you read carefully enough, you can find all kinds of answers!
              Thanks Sifu Antonius, And yes is truth that if I read very carefully enough, i can find the answers!

Good Night!

Comment

Working...
              X