QUESTIONS FOR INSTRUCTORS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RE:Basics

What I meant by 5-7 years is my estimation when I am financially stable to attend. Right now I'am a college student, but I enough spare time to practice my martial art. Since it will be a long time should I start practicing the basics or should I wait later?

Comment

Hi Steve!

I'm in much the same boat as you, a college student hoping to attend one of Sigung's intensive seminars. Yeah, 1500 euros certainly sounds like a lot, but from the "cheaper" courses I've attended, I know we can both look forward to amazing things. I would really recommend taking advantage of any regional seminars that Sigung and other Shaolin Wahnam masters and instructors offer. Sifu (Antonius Korahais) offers a monthly "Flowing Zen 101" seminar that is an absolute steal at roughly sixty dollars. The plane ticket from Indianapolis to Gainesville cost more than that! Sifu's website at FlowingZen.com has some details about it. Sigung's recent seminars in Gainesville were also extremely generously priced for the value I got out of them.

I really do recommend you leap at any chance to get this face-to-face and mind-to-mind transmission and training. I can say without exaggeration than a mere 20 minutes with Sifu was worth more than my two years of self-study both in qigong and kung fu. I honestly believe that my 7-8 hours from two of Sigung's seminars were worth more than what I would gain on my own after many years (assuming I was foolish enough to attempt learning Two Finger Zen on my own and was somehow didn't hurt myself or otherwise set myself back by the attempt; I was foolish enough to attempt Golden Bridge on my own, but stopped after I started feeling some bad side effects).

For the benefit of anyone else "on the fence" about taking a course with Sigung or Sifu, especially those worried about the financial cost, and for those (like me) that need concrete numbers to shoot for, here is my list of expenses from my two trips to Gainesville, FL:

Trip #1: Attending Sifu's Flowing Zen 101 seminar
      1. Motel: Motel 6. $30/night. Total: ~$70 with tax.
      2. Plane Ticket: From Indianapolis Airport to Gainesville National Airport: ~$500. I used Expedia for booking.
      3. Taxi: ~$20 for one-way between the airport and the motel. I did a lot of walking (motel was only a three hour walk away from Sifu's studio). Total: $40. Note that this includes my tip to the drivers.
      4. Sifu's Flowing Zen 101 course: $58.
      5. Food, Extra "Spending Money": I budgeted $200 for this. Barely spent any of it because I brought most of my own food (in the form of nutrient-dense and easily stored in carry-on bags; almonds, raisins, peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, cheese-sticks).
      6. Total Budget for Sifu's Flowing Zen 101 Course Trip: $868.

Trip #2: Three of Sigung's seminars. Note: This budget was made for two people in mind.
      1. Motel: Traveler's Inn. ~$60/night. ~$130 with tax. About 1.5 hour walk away from Sifu's studio.
      2. Two Plane Tickets from Indianapolis Airport to Gainesville National Airport: ~$1000. Again, I used Expedia for booking.
      3. Taxi: Same rates as above, ~$20 for one-way between airport and the Inn. Should only be ~$40 if you don't take a wrong turn whilst walking like I did. Note that this includes my tip to the drivers.
      4. Two Finger Zen seminar: $400.
      5. Warrior Qigong seminar: $400.
      6. Curing the Incurable seminar: $400.
      7. Food, Extra "Spending Money": I budgeted $300 for this trip because I was dragging my good friend along with me and I wanted to try more of the local fare. He's saving up money to take his two daughters to Disneyland, I couldn't have him paying for anything! Like last time, though, I still packed lots of almonds, raisins, cheesesticks, and a few peanut butter sandwiches.
      8. Total Budget for Sigung's seminars: $2670.

As to my own financial background, I'm lucky that I used to work a library job (making about $9/hour) and now I work as an embalming laboratory assistant (~$10/hour). Squirreling away a little bit here and there and really asking myself things like, "Do I really need to eat out tonight, or can I just throw something into the crockpot?" added up in the end. My parents were also very supportive, offering me money just in case (luckily I did not need it). You can do it!
      I like making silly videos (including kung fu ones!) every so often on YouTube and taking pictures of weird things on Instagram.

Comment

Frederick I admire your fiscal responsibility.

Comment

Frederick, I would like to mention that with your attitude you will go far in

Shaolin Wahnam...I hope that even one in ten that comes to me shares

your mature view in these matters....Most I know who have gained

immeasurably from this training share this attitude.

Warmly Gusty

Comment

Thank you both for your kind comments.

(now if only my biological brother would get on the bandwagon too! Boy needs to get off the computer and enjoy some sunlight )
            I like making silly videos (including kung fu ones!) every so often on YouTube and taking pictures of weird things on Instagram.

Comment

Minimum Age Question

What is the best age to start learning Shaolin Kung Fu? I am of course old enough but still I want to hear your opinion.

Comment

The best age to start Shaolin Arts is the current age.

Kindly, Anton.
                Engage and maintain joyful practice!

May all of you get the best benefits from what you do.

Anton Schmick
                Shaolin Wahnam Germany Nord

shaolinwahnamchina.com
                http://chikunghamburg.wordpress.com
                http://shaolinwahnam-nord.de
                http://kungfu-luebeck.de

Comment

Originally posted by Anton S. View Post
                  The best age to start Shaolin Arts is the current age.

Kindly, Anton.
                  Brilliant!

Comment

Lifting the Sky Question

Hello. I like to ask if it's possible for me to learn lifting The Sky from the book The Art Of Shaolin Kung Fu? I am well aware that it is better to learn from a certified Shaolin Wahnam instructor as told many times, but I do not have the financial means to attend intensive courses. I live in Oregon so there are no Wahnam instructors here. Please reply. Thank you in advance.

Comment

Absolutely. Many of us did exactly that. It is no comparison from learning in person. But, if that is not possible, following the instructions in the book as best you can is an excellent place to start.
                      Sifu Andrew Barnett
                      Shaolin Wahnam Switzerland - www.shaolin-wahnam.ch

Flowing Health GmbH www.flowing-health.ch (Facebook: www.facebook.com/sifuandrew)
                      Healing Sessions with Sifu Andrew Barnett - in Switzerland and internationally
                      Heilbehandlungen mit Sifu Andrew Barnett - in der Schweiz und International

Comment

Question about learning from a master

Hello everyone this is Steven. I will not be able to learn Kung Fu in Shaolin Wahnam until I'm done with college. However I found a Kung Fu school close to me. The Sifu over there teaches Bamboo Forest Mantis style which is a sub-variety of Southern Praying Mantis Kung Fu. I know that it is a style most people do not know. I am deciding if I should learn from him. On his webpage it shows his students wearing boxing gloves while free sparring. This has me concerned because traditional Kung Fu masters never had their students put on gloves for free sparring. The students do not bounce around like boxers but use Kung Fu stances and footwork. Can anybody reply their thoughts on this?
                        Last edited by comp52; 19 February 2012, 04:54 PM.

Comment

Visit the school if you can and speak with the Sifu and his students. Consider your aims and objectives for learning and them compare them with what the school and the Sifu have to offer. If you have a reasonable match, try a few lessons if you can.

You will likely not find the school comparable to Shaolin Wahnam in many ways. However, as long as the philosophy is not completely opposing, you can learn a lot in preparation for learning from Shaolin Wahnam (if this is your ultimate aim).

Whatever you do, remain respectful towards the Sifu.
                          Sifu Andrew Barnett
                          Shaolin Wahnam Switzerland - www.shaolin-wahnam.ch

Flowing Health GmbH www.flowing-health.ch (Facebook: www.facebook.com/sifuandrew)
                          Healing Sessions with Sifu Andrew Barnett - in Switzerland and internationally
                          Heilbehandlungen mit Sifu Andrew Barnett - in der Schweiz und International

Comment

I wouldn't completely knock freesparring with gloves, I always thought it was a ton of fun to really slug it out with someone.

To be honest though I am glad I don't do that anymore. heh
                            Shaolin Wahnam USA

"Every morning you are born again. What you do today is the most important thing".

Comment

Kung Fu Set Question

Hello this is Steven. Does each section of the form Lohan Ask The Way represents a combat sequence?

Comment

Hi Steven,

Originally posted by comp52 View Post
                                Hello this is Steven. Does each section of the form Lohan Ask The Way represents a combat sequence?
                                No, the sections of this set do not represent a combat sequence as such, but it does contain all of the attack and defence patterns found in sequences 1-4.

Shaolin 16 combat sequences, Shaolin Kung Fu, Shaolin Wahnam, intensive shaolin kungfu course, combat training, kung fu fighting, combat application

Best wishes,

George
                                George / Юра
                                Shaolin Wahnam England

gate gate pāragate pārasaṁgate bodhi svāhā

Comment

Working...
                                X