No announcement yet.

Sparring With Boxers and Wrestlers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well I'm sorry but I'll just have to respectfully disagree with everyone who thinks some K1 fighters could have beaten Tyson.
    If you had the seen the things I have I'm quite sure you would agree with me.
    I have sparred with professional boxers and professional kickboxers, and there is just no comparison, there really isn't.
    I can assure you if a local amateur featherweight boxing champion, lets say of ulster, or north east england or one of the regions was to fight a professional british national middleweight champion kickboxer, the wee boxer is going to destroy him.

I will agree that there are other boxers who perhaps could have demolished the best of K1 just as easily as tyson, but I don't think Muhammad Ali (who is my hero) would be as good a street fighter as Tyson. People like Jack Dempsey, Sonny Liston and Tyson would be more suited to all in fighting.

Another thing I agree on, Darkwolf wrote:
    "the music of classic Public Enemy, which sounded as edgy here as it did when it was recorded 20 years ago."
    Too right, absolutely brilliant stuff! Which track accompanied him to the ring?

Comment

Originally posted by drunken boxer
      Well I'm sorry but I'll just have to respectfully disagree with everyone who thinks some K1 fighters could have beaten Tyson.
      If you had the seen the things I have I'm quite sure you would agree with me.
      I have sparred with professional boxers and professional kickboxers, and there is just no comparison, there really isn't.
      I can assure you if a local amateur featherweight boxing champion, lets say of ulster, or north east england or one of the regions was to fight a professional british national middleweight champion kickboxer, the wee boxer is going to destroy him.

I will agree that there are other boxers who perhaps could have demolished the best of K1 just as easily as tyson, but I don't think Muhammad Ali (who is my hero) would be as good a street fighter as Tyson. People like Jack Dempsey, Sonny Liston and Tyson would be more suited to all in fighting.

Another thing I agree on, Darkwolf wrote:
      "the music of classic Public Enemy, which sounded as edgy here as it did when it was recorded 20 years ago."
      Too right, absolutely brilliant stuff! Which track accompanied him to the ring?
      WOOOOOO! Pump your breaks...I Never Said that K1 fighters could beat Tyson and again I can and use to box
      Last edited by darkwolf; 8 June 2005, 04:10 PM.
      52Blockz, N.Shaolin, and Tongbei.

Comment

Originally posted by darkwolf
        Well,

Mike was suppose to fight, but he is acting like a chicken!!!! they offer him millions of dollards, Beside mike would eat a side kick and a knee and get knocked out once more. All he's got is a punch! and he's just as old as Ray if you know boxing. I think what happened to Ray would happen to any younger or older boxer. There skills are limited,
        Mike was suppose to fight Bob sapp, but never followed up. now again, what I'm trying to say (forget K1) if a Boxer/streetfighter whatever fought a MA's (both at the top of their game and pretty much weight the same with no rules, that means everything goes, knee bombs, eye strikes, etc...) the MA's is going to win hands down.
        If any of you guys heard about kimbo?, this is a guy that came home from prison and fights in backyards to take care of his mother. He has no MA knowledge, but he can fight. I saw a couple of his fight on-line, that he won easy. He got into a shouting match with a MA's who happened to be a police officer on-line. The two agree to fight. It was a very ugly fight but the MA's won.

Comment

Darkwolf, I know you can box, I'm not trying to disrespect you at all.
          Apologies if I have misunderstood you, or if I'm not putting my views across clearly. But now I can see that in actual fact we are in agreement.

As I said I was only talking about tyson at his best versus K1 fighters or any other kickboxers.

If we are talking about other martial arts, trust me I know the best boxers would stand no chance against the best martial artists.
          My master (he is a master of taijiquan and xingyiquan) could beat any boxer easily.

I read that Tyson is supposed to have been sounded out about appearing in various MMA events, and he apparently said he did not want to fight a skilled martial artist, but he would be happy to fight someone like Sapp.
          But don't quote me on that one.

I don't know Kimbo but there is also that guy Tank in the UFC who is just a brawler, he really annoyed the purists by smashing up a load of fancy martial artists. But he couldn't beat the best guys.

Anyway, which public enemy track was it??

Comment

Darkwolf, I know you can box, I'm not trying to disrespect you at all.
            Apologies if I have misunderstood you, or if I'm not putting my views across clearly. But now I can see that in actual fact we are in agreement.

As I said I was only talking about tyson at his best versus K1 fighters or any other kickboxers.

If we are talking about other martial arts, trust me I know the best boxers would stand no chance against the best martial artists.
            My master (he is a master of taijiquan and xingyiquan) could beat any boxer easily.

I read that Tyson is supposed to have been sounded out about appearing in various MMA events, and he apparently said he did not want to fight a skilled martial artist, but he would be happy to fight someone like Sapp.
            But don't quote me on that one.

I don't know Kimbo but there is also that guy Tank in the UFC who is just a brawler, he really annoyed the purists by smashing up a load of fancy martial artists. But he couldn't beat the best guys.

Anyway, which public enemy track was it??
            NO brother i didn't take is as disrespect. I value and enjoyed your points! It's all good! Know i'm going to post the fencer vs. the Straight sword

Comment

last one

Hey bro,
              just for your entertainment

Comment

I can't get it to play on my computer. Is it good?

Comment

I can't get it to play on my computer. Is it good?
                  It's OK, The boxer painted the MA's face with a one two everytime he hit him with a leg kick. In the end the leg kick wore on the boxers leg and got knock down and counted out. Hey, do you think tyson lost on-purpose to atract one of the heavyweights with a belt? Because he looked like he was winning the fight on my cards, why would he quit?

Comment

I can believe that. Despite what I've said, I know kicks can be very effective, especially to the legs. Was it side kicks or (what I would call) hook kicks to the legs?

As for Tyson, I didn't see the fight. I used to never miss his fights, but now he is only a shadow of what he once was.
                    The last fight I saw was the Danny Williams one. Danny fought a good fight, but he admitted himself Tyson was perhaps 40% of what he used to be.
                    I still thought he would beat Kevin though. So maybe you are right, but I didn't see it.

Comment

Still can't get the clip to work.

Anyway, I thought I better make two points clear regarding my earlier comments:

1. I am not saying boxing is a better art than kickboxing for fighting. Obviously kickboxing is better, otherwise kickboxers wouldn't bother throwing kicks at all they would just box! I am just saying most boxers can fight better than most kickboxers.

2. When I say kickboxing or kickboxers I am referring to the most common styles seen in the west, america, britain, ireland etc. I am not talking about Muay Thai Boxers - they are an entirely different proposition! None of my previous comments apply to them, they are tremendous fighters, at least the ones from Thailand are.

Comment

Was it side kicks or (what I would call) hook kicks to the legs?
                        There were a couple of side kicks (to mid thigh of the front leg), but the main were turning kicks (to the mid thigh of the front leg), as well as a couple of take downs (after the clinch).

I actually felt sorry for the boxer - he did well, took the centre of the ring, took advantage of the kickboxers face when it came close enough but I think he lost it mentally after being felled. He retreated from the centre, ended up in a corner and, as above, his leg collapsed on him after yet another kick. He couldn't clinch (because he just ended up on the floor of the ring), he wasn't trained or conditioned to be kicked in the leg repeatedly and once the felling started, it just wasn't his day anymore.

Still - he took part .

Comment

Wahey, just got the link to work on my friends PC!

The kickboxer did very well, and he does indeed appear to be a muay thai boxer rather than just a kickboxer.
                          He used the side kick (like we discussed earlier) very effectively, and it helped set him up for the hook kick also. As well as being painful, and having a wearing down effect, these can affect the boxers mobility immensely, which he needs to slide in and out, twist and spin on the inside etc. They also obviously make it more difficult to get off the floor should he be hit on the chin.
                          Also, leg kicks are particulary uncomfortable for boxers as one of the main difficulties of switching to fight kickboxers is the width of the field of vision you require – what I mean is you normally just watch the shoulders, fists etc, to see punches coming, its difficult adjusting to watching hips, legs etc and if the feet are coming in low that is particularly difficult. Also, boxers are used to dealing with body and head attacks, not leg attacks. If the thaiboxer had kicked to the body and head I think the boxer would have handled it better, but he got it spot on by attacking the legs.
                          Although he only used them sparingly, I thought he was pretty good with his hands too.

I hope I'm stating the obvious here - this kickboxer still wouldn't stand a chance against Mike Tyson! Presuming you could make a Tyson clone as small as him, or make a clone of the kickboxer as big as Tyson, those times when they got inside, started grabbing etc this is Tysons favourite area and Tyson would have been able to land one or two shots, game over.

I don’t know if there has ever been a muay thai fighter who could have beaten Tyson, I don’t have enough knowledge of that sport. But I am certain that there hasn’t been a K1 fighter who could do it!
                          Some of the smaller muay thai fighters I have seen were certainly good enough skillwise to trouble Tyson, its just they were too small, but in theory one with similar skill to those and similar size to Tyson… I’d certainly pay to watch that match!

Comment

Originally posted by miketoftejr View Post
                            I read about Sifu Wong talking about how one is totally relaxed when sparring in Shaolin Kung Fu or Tai Chi. This makes sense if each practitioner is using an art that is basically the same speed. However, for those who have used Shaolin Kung Fu to spar boxers, wrestlers, Muay Thai kickboxers, or street brawlers, Have you been able to relax the same way you are able to relax against another Kung Fu or Tai Chi practitioner or does one panic because the person is coming at them at a much faster speed?

Just as relaxed. Your core martial art must be *your* martial art, not any system - it has to be capable of fighting anyone. It shold never be, really, about what they do, because there are an infinite number of things that can happen to you - it's always about what you do, and whether it works for you.

X

Comment

By the by, *relaxed* does not mean slow - a movement can be very fast and powerful and still be relaxed. That is the feeling you need to hit very hard.

X

Comment

I think that fighting is fighting regardless of the system one practices. However, the point of relaxation, it is probably better to control your breathing. This reduces the stress of the fight and helps you think in the process. Once you get too tense there the there is a high probabilty that you will loose the fight.

Sifu White

Comment

Working...
                                X