Shaolin History with Zhang San Feng

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shaolin History with Zhang San Feng

In 1768, the Manchus again saw the need to destroy the second Shaolin Temple. They sought the allegiance of Chang Sanfeng, a sung dynasty scholar and outstanding student of the Fukien Temple. His superior physical and mental abilities allowed him to graduate from the temple a full-fledged master in less than two years.

A Taoist, Chang Sanfeng left the temple to start a monastery in Hubei's Wu Tang mountain range. Here he created Wu Tang Martial Arts, merging the hard arts with the mystical Chi Kung (Internal Power) arts. This led to the creation of T'ai Chi Ch'uan, "The Grand Ultimate Art," of which, one account reports, Chang Sanfeng as the acknowledged founder. Sanfeng created T'ai Chi Ch'uan as a combat art after seeing a snake defeat a hawk, later discovering its health and fitness benefits.

Sanfeng's revolutionary internal power building techniques and promise of increased fighting ability attracted many students to him. Manchu officials encouraged the rivalry between the Wu Tang disciples and the Shaolin. After many clashes the more peaceful Shaolin monks left looking for areas of peace to live, study and teach. The Fukien Temple was eventually burned to the ground.
    From http://www.shaolinarts.com/pages/history.html

I never knew Zhang San Feng was involved in the destruction of one of the Shaolin temples!

Accurate sources

Hi Stephen,

After reading the short excerpt you posted, I would suggest that you treat anything in that article with a healthy pinch of salt (and for those who don't know the expression, it is the equivalent of smiling, nodding and wandering off).

Comment

Having checked out the link, I agree with Darryl.
      Jeffrey Segal

Comment

Arighty...

Comment

Working...
        X