Questions to Grandmaster on Standing Meditation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dear Shaolin Wahnam Family,

I would like to thank Sifu for answering my question so beautifully and for always teaching us with such a compassionate heart and patience.

Can't wait the read the rest of the answers. :-)

With Love, Care and Shaolin Salute,

Santi

Comment

Dear Sifu and Daniel,

Thank you very much for open the opportunity to ask about Standing Meditation.

I would like to ask the following:

-Can standing meditation be practiced every day (as an independent practice)? How long would it be advisable to do standing meditation in each independent practice? Are there any particular benefits to do it every day (also as an independent practice)? Is it possible to improve the resolution of our problems and overcome negativities through standing meditation as an independent practice?

Thank you very much,

Best wishes,

Paz
      Last edited by Paz; 11 June 2018, 01:47 PM.

Comment

Question 3 on Wuji Stance or Standing Meditation -- Part 1

Question 3

I have observed that many students (including my family members who have learnt from Sifu) who do not delve deeply into our arts tend to focus on the obvious aspects such as qi flow movements or the patterns, but often neglect taking time to stay in standing meditation. It is one of my favourite parts of my practice. I can see, though, why it is so difficult for some people to simply stay still and enjoy the stillness.

When I finish my practice and perform standing meditation, I tend to "sink" a little and tuck in my tailbone. This happened unconsciously early in my practice, and looking back, I think it could be my qi that guided my posture so that my spine was straight (vertical) from neck to tailbone, whereas normally our spine is an "S" shape. I would like to ask Sifu if this is correct as this has been how i have been practising all these years.

Sifu Zhang Wuji, Shaolin Wahnam Singapore

Answer

Chi flow, or energy flow, is a wonderful exercise.

When I wrote the book “The Art of Chi Kung” about 25 years ago, I used the term “induced chi flow” to mean self-manifested chi movement. Douglas, my most senior disciple in Shaolin Wahnam, asked me, “Sifu, doesn’t any chi kung exercise induce chi flow?”

The question really set me back. “Yes,” I answered, “all chi kung exercises induce chi to flow. I have, therefore, think of another term for induced chi flow in the Art of Chi Kung.” Eventually I used “self-manifested chi movement”, which is close to the modern Chinese term, “zi fa dong gong”, which literally means “self-manifest-movement-art”.

For convenience we may classify a practitioner’s induced chi flow as expressed as outward movement when he progresses from a basic to master’s level as the following:

1. No chi movement
        2. Some chi movement
        3. Vigorous chi movement
        4. Slight chi movement
        5. Almost no chi movement

To many people, or as the terms appear on paper, number 1 is similar to number 5, and number 2 is similar to number 4. But actually they are different.

A beginner has no chi movement because his chi is blocked. Gradually as he clears some of his blockage, there is some chi movement. Gradually he has vigorous chi movement as much of his blockage is cleared. When his chi is flowing smoothly, though vigorously inside his body, which means his meridians are cleared, there is only slight movement. When he has become a master and wants to merge with the Cosmos, which is the highest of spiritual cultivation, there is almost no external chi movement.

Our chi kung development is progressive. This means that if an advanced practitioner knows “flowingly still” he also knows all previous stages. If he wants to move vigorously in external chi flow movement, he can do so.

(Part 2 follows)
        Daniel Pérez
        http://www.shaolinbcn.es

Comment

Question 3 on Wuji Stance or Standing Meditation -- Part 2

(Continued from Part 1)
          We use poetic descriptions for the above five stages of induced chi flow development as follows:

1. Chi blockage
          2. Chi flow
          3. Flowing Water Floating Clouds
          4. Swaying willows
          5. Flowingly still

Actually all the five stages above involve chi flow, but we use the term “chi flow” quite loosely to mean some external chi movement. As I have often mentioned, we may have to think of terms to differentiate between external chi flow movement and internal chi flow movement. All chi kung and kungfu terms were invented for convenience, and they have become established through usage.

Does “chi blockage” involve chi flow? Yes, it does. When we say “chi blockage”, we use the term provisionally. It does not mean it is 100% blocked. Much of the meridian is blocked, but there is still a lot of chi flowing through. If it is 100% blocked, that part of the body is dead. In Chinese, when a person is alive, we say “you qi”, which literally means “there is energy”. If a person is dead, we say “mei you qi”, which means “there is no energy”.

Because we teach genuine chi kung, not gentle physical exercise using chi kung techniques, we help students to generate energy flow. Because our chi kung is high level, our energy flow can be vigorous. It is consider very high level compared to what is being practiced as chi kung. More than 80 of chi kung practitioners today, including “masters” the public refer to due to their ignorance, or we call them out of respect, do not know how to generate energy flow.

Standing meditation at the Wuji Stance is not easy because the great majority of people cannot relax and cannot stand upright. They cannot stay still and enjoy the stillness. For most people, myriad thoughts come to their head, causing them to be stressful.

Many of them stand with the feet in a V position or lean back. They have to tense their muscles to keep themselves standing, or else they will fall backward. Usually they do not realize that they tense their muscles.

When you stand upright and be totally relaxed, chi or energy will naturally focus at your abdominal energy field, or dan tian. If you are not upright or your spin is crooked, chi will naturally correct it. So what you have been practicing all these years is correct. In chi kung terminology, which is Taoist in origin, it is “wu wei”, or spontaneity.
          Daniel Pérez

Comment

Question 4 on Wuji Stance or Standing Meditation

Question 4

In the Full Lotus position (and also the Half Lotus), one leg will be placed above the other in a higher and more uncomfortable position. Should someone practising the Full or Half Lotus position alternate the position of the legs every day? For instance, if today, the right leg is above the left, should the left leg cross above the right leg during the next day's session? Standing mediation, by contrast, is intrinsically balanced with both feet and legs sharing equal weight.

Sifu Zhang Wuji, Shaolin Wahnam Singapore

Answer

Ideally, we should alternate in placing one leg over the other, but personally I think it does not matter much.

The main purpose of the lotus or semi-lotus position in sitting meditation is to have the body steady so that the mind, or spirit, can be fully focused.
            Daniel Pérez

Comment

Dear Sifu and Siheng Daniel

Wonderful thread

May I ask the following question?

I remember Sifu saying many years ago that he stopped doing sitting meditation as he felt his mind was getting too powerful (I hope this is correct and my apologies if not). I then remember Sifu saying more recently that he felt that our standing meditation at the end of our Chi Kung training, that we do for a few minutes, is now more powerful sitting meditation. Sifu can you explain what you mean when you say "standing meditation is more powerful than sitting meditation and why do you think so"?

Best wishes
              Mark

Comment

Question 5 on Wuji Stance or Standing Meditation -- Part 1

Dear Paz and Mark, thank you for your questions, now, more answers from Sifu:

Question 5

Having successfully Merged with the Cosmos using Sitting Meditation, that person can subsequently also Merge with the Cosmos through Standing Meditation ... and perhaps even through Moving Meditation (eg performing Taijiquan in Perfect 6 Harmonies ) .... and by extrapolation, even while going about mundane everyday life (i.e. Absolute Zen in Daily Living )? On the other hand, a novice having trouble relaxing even in Standing Meditation would be able to relax better by Moving Meditation?

Personal experience found that in Standing Meditation the chi tends to roll down to the lower dantian (2-3 inches below navel ) and while in Sitting Meditation the chi tends to rise up the back (and hold up the spine without effort ) to settle at the upper dantian (above and between eyebrows). Are these chi directional flow natural or artificially induced due to mental focus at appropriate dantians depending on the 3 general aims of meditation (i.e. Relaxation, Peak Performance, Merging with Cosmos)? Additionally, using our chi kung phrase "flowingly still", Sitting Meditation is more "still" compared to Standing Meditation and hence the chi is more "locked-in" to enhance mental focus and meditation depth?

Dr Damian Kissey

Answer

In theory what you say is true. Having merged with the Cosmos using sitting meditation (in a lotus or semi-lotus position), that person can merge with the Cosmos in standing meditation or moving meditation, like performing Taijiquan in perfect six harmonies. He can also merge with the Cosmos while going about in mundane everyday life.

In fact, a person can merge with the Cosmos not necessarily practicing sitting meditation. Once he can stop thoughts occurring, he, or any being, merges with the Cosmos.

But in practice, sitting meditation in a lotus or semi-lotus position is the paramount way to merge with the Cosmos. In other words, even when a person merged with the Cosmos before, and returned to the phenomenal world, he has to perform sitting meditation in a lotus or semi-lotus position to merge with the Cosmos again.

There are exceptions. As I have mentioned in one of our answers, we are elite in that we can merge with the Cosmos using standing meditation.

It is worthwhile to mention that the term “Cosmos” here means the Great Void. Sometimes we use the term “Cosmos” to mean the phenomenal realm, like in Zhang San Feng’s Treatise where Taiji, or the Cosmos, originates from Wuji, or the Great Void, and returns to Wuji.

Whether a novice having trouble relaxing in standing meditation could relax better in moving meditation, would depend on a few factors, like whether he has a good teacher and whether he is tensed and can free his mind of thoughts.

If I have to compare standing meditation and moving meditation, I would think he can relax better in standing meditation. In moving meditation, he has to move his hands, legs or body, which may distract him from being relaxed.

(Part 2 follows)
                Daniel Pérez

Comment

Question 5 on Wuji Stance or Standing Meditation -- Part 2

(Continued from Part 1)

In your case when you perform standing meditation chi rolls down to your abdominal dan tian, and when you perform sitting meditation chi rises up your spine, because you are advanced in both standing meditation and sitting meditation.

By the way, some masters refer to the dan tian 2-3 inches below the navel as the lower dan tian, and others as the middle dan tian. There are no hard and fast rules.

Most other people will be stressed by myriad thoughts as well as be tensed in both standing and sitting meditation. Comparing the two forms of meditation, most people will be more stressed and more tensed in sitting meditation.

If we take the four forms of meditation -- standing, sitting, lying down and moving -- the ascending order is as follows, with the first form of meditation being the least stressful and tensed:

Lying down -- standing -- moving -- sitting

To be relaxed and freeing the mind of all thoughts are necessary condition for meditation, which actually means training the mind or spirit. Interestingly they are also the first benefits.

Although lying down meditation is easier to be relaxed and freeing the mind of all thoughts, standing meditation is usually recommended for beginners, because many people tend to sleep instead of training their spirit.

From my perspective, not many people, including those who have spent much time in meditation retreats, know that meditation is training of mind or spirit. They relate meditation to sitting crossed legged or in a lotus position.

The directional flow of chi down to the dan tian or up along the spine is induced by mental focus or other methods. In my case I was able to speed up tremendously to let chi flow up my spine from the hui-yin vital point at the anus to the bai-hui vital point at the crown of the head, and later to the tian-mu vital point between the eyebrows, because of reverse breathing, which is different from chest breathing.

The three aims of meditation, which correspond to relaxation as the basic aim, peak performance as the intermediate aim, and merging with the Cosmos as the highest aim, depend on how long and how successfully a practitioner trains in meditation, and not on the directional flow of chi or on any methods.

If all other things were equal, sitting meditation is more still than standing meditation. Chi is more “locked-in” or “consolidated” to enhance mental focus and meditation depth.
                  Daniel Pérez

Comment

Much thanks to our dear Sifu for the teaching ...
                    and to Daniel for the efficient fascilitation
                    Damian Kissey
                    Shaolin Wahnam Sabah , Malaysia .
                    www.shaolinwahnamsabah.com

Comment

Dear Shaolin Wahnam Family
                      There is another question which came to my mind. I hope I am allowed to ask it.

Dear Sigung
                      Does meditation lead to positive thoughts and why/why not?

thanks in advance

with shaolin salute o\
                      Bernhard
                      "No matter what you do, you must be clear in your conscience." - Sitaigung Ho
                      A single light can eliminate the darkness of millenia.
                      Every moment is precious.

Comment

Dear Sigung,

Could Sigung share with us what is the best way to focus the mind, relax physically, emotionally and spiritually?

With Shaolin Salute
                        Karol

Comment

Question 6 on Wuji Stance or Standing Meditation -- Part 1

Question 6

Would it be fair to say that as we progress in our practice of Kungfu we shall aim to spend less time in Wuji and more time in sitting meditation? Is it possible to over-train in Wuji stance and how one can prevent from and overcome such thing?

Sifu Angel Guillermo, Shaolin Wahnam Puerto Rico

Answer

“Wuji” means the Great Void, which may be described differently by people of different cultures, like God the Holy Spirit in Christianity, Buddhahood in Buddhism, and Brahman in Hinduism. In scientific language, it is the undifferentiated spread of energy. Literally, “wuji” in Chinese means “no-limit”.

Wuji is the objective, and sitting meditation is a method. In other words, an aspirant performs sitting meditation to achieve Wuji.

Hence, in the question when you mention “Wuji”, I reckon you mean the Wuji Stance.

Whether as we progress in our kungfu we aim to spend less time in the Wuji Stance and more time in sitting meditation, depends on different individuals.

Presuming all other things were equal, your observation is correct. The Wuji Stance is an excellent way to be relaxed and be free of all thoughts. These two conditions are necessary to attain the Great Void.

While the Wuji Stance is excellent to attain the Great Void, sitting meditation is better. It is the best method to attain the Great Void. Perhaps the Wuji Stance, or standing meditation, is the next best. But sitting meditation and standing meditation still need a lot of time.

However, all other things are not equal. For convenience, let us take just three stages, which actually represent countless stages. The three stages are stage 1 for ordinary people, stage 2 for those who have practiced both the Wuji Stance and sitting meditation, and stage 3 for the advanced in these two arts.

As estimated by Andrew (Sifu Andrew Barnett of Switzerland), I have about 60,000 students who have received my teaching. Compared to the world population of 7.5 billion, 60,000 is less than 0.0001, which means less than 1 out of 100,000.

To most untrained people, which means the great majority of the world population, it does not matter whether they perform the Wuji Stance or sitting meditation. They will be tensed and stressful most of the time, if not all the time, even when they perform the outward forms correctly.

We may divide those who have practiced both the Wuji Stance and sitting meditation into practitioners who have practiced wrongly, and practitioners who have practiced correctly.

Those who have practiced martial arts would have practiced the Wuji Stance, and many of them would have attempted sitting meditation in a lotus or semi-lotus position. But almost all of them, i.e. those who have practiced both arts, would not know either one of these arts could lead them to the Great Void. They would not know that it is called the Wuji Stance. Many of them would call the stance differently, or just standing upright.

However, despite its name, they may not be standing upright. They are also not relaxed and freed of all thoughts. Those who practice external martial arts may try to be stoic, thus tensing themselves without knowing. To be tensed and to be freed of all thoughts are the two most pressing problems of most people, including those who practiced martial arts.

(Part 2 follows)
                          Last edited by Daniel; 18 June 2018, 08:19 PM.
                          Daniel Pérez

Comment

Question 6 on Wuji Stance or Standing Meditation -- Part 2

(Continued from Part 1)

Those who have practiced the Wuji Stance and sitting meditation correctly generally take a long time, in a matter of more than 10 years, to attain the Great Void. They know the techniques of the Wuji Stance and sitting meditation, but they may not have the skills to be relaxed and freed of all thoughts. They develop the necessary skills unknowingly.

They may know the highest aim of sitting meditation is to attain the Great Void, but they usually do not know that they can also attain the Great Void through the Wuji Stance.

We are indeed very elite. As I do not teach sitting meditation (in a lotus or semi-lotus position), we even attain the Great Void in our Wuji Stance, or standing meditation. In our advanced courses, like Merging with the Cosmos, at least 60% of our participants attained the Great Void.

We can attain the Great Void in just one course because of three factors.

One, we differentiate between techniques and skills. Most people, including masters, do not make the differentiation. They think that if they have the right technique, and practice the technique long enough, if they are lucky, they will attain what the exercise promises to give.

Two, not only we theoretically know the skills, we are able to develop them. Most people can’t. They cannot, for example, free their mind of all thoughts.

Three, I transmit the skills to course participants. In other words, course participants do not need to practice the skills to be skillful enough to attain the Great Void.

In theory it is possible to over-train in the Wuji Stance, but in practice it is very unlikely. However, if we develop too much energy in the Wuji Stance, i.e. more energy than our physical body can take, we can also over-train.

Although it is not concerned with over-training, a very big problem of practicing the Wuji Stance or sitting meditation is not returning to our body after attaining the Great Void. As it is so blissful and free in the Great Void, some practitioners may not want to return to their physical body. Hence, it is important to have a master present when practicing emerging with the Great Void using the Wuji Stance or sitting meditation.
                            Daniel Pérez

Comment

Question 7 on Wuji Stance or Standing Meditation

Another wonderful answer from Sifu:

Question 7

If I remember correctly you somewhere mentioned the focus mode and the cosmos mode. Can Sigung explain to us what these modes are, if these are attainments of standing meditation and which benefits does standing meditation have on people who are ill physically and / or psychologically.

I think there are a few people in the west who think that meditation is a simple, direct and effective way to heal body and soul. Can Sigung please share with us his view about that with special emphasis on standing meditation?

How do Chi Flow and the hei sai spirits influence Standing Meditation?

Bernhard

Answer

You did not remember correctly.

It was not the focus mode and the cosmos mode, but the focus mode and the expansion mode. It did not refer to the Wuji Stance or standing meditation; it referred to the Three-Body Stance.

I mentioned the focus mode and the expansion mode when performing the Three-Body Stance at a regional Xingyiquan course of the UK Summer Camp in July 2013.

The Three-Body Stance is called “San Ti Shi” in Romanized Chinese. It refers to three aspects of the body, namely the hands, the legs and the trunk. The Three-Body Stance is also called the Triangle Stance, and is similar to the Four-Six Stance and the Stream-Character Stance.

The Three-Body Stance is a fundamental stance to develop internal force in Xingyiquan. At first I wondered why the Three-Body Stance was used as it is not symmetrical, unlike the Horse-Riding Stance in Shaolin Kungfu or the Three-Circle Stance in Taijiquan.

When I read a Xingyiquan classic, I found the answer. The classic mentioned the focus mode and the expansion mode. In the focus mode, practitioners focus their chi at the abdominal dan tian. In the expansion mode, practitioners expand their chi. This overcomes the asymmetrical structure of the Three-Body Stance.

The focus mode and the expansion mode can be used in the Wuji Stance or standing meditation, but its use is different from that in the Three-Body Stance. If they are used in the same way as in the Three-Body Stance, they may be detrimental.

They are also detrimental to people who are physically or psychologically ill. Ill people should practice exercises from the 18 Jewels, Five-Animal Play or self-manifested chi movement. The focus mode and the expansion mode, in both the Three-Body Stance and the Wuji Stance, are too powerful. This is an important point many people may not realize.

Meditation, which is spiritual cultivation, is not suitable to heal the body and soul. Practitioners should practice meditation only when they are ready. They should at least be healthy. That was the reason why the great Bodhidharma taught the Eighteen Lohan Hands. He found the monks sick and weak. Eighteen Lohan Hands could strength them.

Most people do not practice any form of meditation, including standing meditation, correctly. They just stand upright, or think they are upright though they usually lean back. They are tensed and stressful.

The term “hei sai” in Cantonese was invented by me. Literally it means “energy-form”. “Hei sai” was very noticeable in all my sifus. When they performed kungfu, they demonstrated “hei sai”, which was an invisible but perceptible flow of energy or spirit that was pressing.

Standing meditation focuses on training of mind or spirit. If chi flow occurs, depending on how vigorously the outward movements are, it changes to self-manifested chi movement, flowing water floating clouds, flowing breeze swaying willows, or flowingly still. Relatively, self-manifested chi movement is good for overcoming illness, flowing water floating clouds and flowing breeze swaying willows good for peak performance, and flowingly still good for spiritual cultivation.

When performing standing meditation, a practitioner’s “hei-sai” should not be pressing like when he performs kungfu movements, but should be peaceful and cheerful, which are the objectives of spiritual cultivation.
                              Daniel Pérez

Comment

Question 8 on Wuji Stance or Standing Meditation

Thank you Sifu for another great answer (and thank you Paz for the question):

Question 8

Can standing meditation be practiced every day (as an independent practice)? How long would it be advisable to do standing meditation in each independent practice? Are there any particular benefits to do it every day (also as an independent practice)? Is it possible to improve the resolution of our problems and overcome negativities through standing meditation as an independent practice?

Paz

Answer

Whether standing meditation as an independent practice, and how long it would be advisable to practice it, depends on numerous factors, especially how deeply we go into meditation and the purpose of its practice.

It is worthwhile to note that meditation, including standing meditation, is a collective term for a genre of practice, like kungfu and chi kung. We may, for example, ask whether kungfu or chi kung can be practiced every day, and how long it would be advisable to practice it. The answer depends on numerous factors, especially how deeply we go into kungfu or chi kung, and the purpose of its practice.

The benefits of standing meditation range from the basic of relaxation to the supreme of merging with Cosmic Reality, with countless other benefits in between.

If we do not go deep into meditation and just want to relax, we can practice standing meditation as an independent practice every day. We can practice for about 10 minutes. We may practice for a longer time if we want, but we must not enter into a deep meditative state of mind.

If we want to aim for the supreme attainment of merging with Cosmic Reality, but return to our phenomenal realm after the cosmic glimpse, we may practice every day if we are at a master’s level. Remember that we need a lot of energy to break through our physical body to merge with Cosmic Reality. The recommended time is also 10 minutes, or less.

Even for masters, it is not necessary to practice merging with Cosmic Reality every day though they may be able to do it. It is sufficient, if they like the exercise, to practice once a week.

If practitioners are at the intermediate level, they should not practice every day. It would be too powerful for them, and they would over-train. It is sufficient if they practice once a week or once a month. The recommended time is also 10 minutes or less.

This exercise of merging with Cosmic Reality in standing meditation is not suitable for those at the elementary level.

It needs to be emphasized that unless they are already at the master’s level and therefore have full control of the exercise, practitioners must practice this exercise in the presence of a master who can bring them back to the phenomenal world. It is so blissful and free in Cosmic Reality that it is easy to be permanently merged with it.

There are certainly benefits to practice standing meditation as an independent exercise every day if we take care that the benefits do not overwhelm us. The basic benefit is relaxation. Once we can relax, and most people can’t, we can do better no matter what we do.

Actually we practice standing meditation (but not as an independent exercise) every time we perform any exercise in our school. Our arts are triple-cultivation, i.e. cultivation of the body, of energy and of spirit.

It is possible to improve the resolution of our problems and overcome negativities through standing meditation as an independent practice, though there are other exercises that are as effective or more effective. Standing meditation trains mental clarity and internal force, which can improve our resolutions and overcome negativities.
                                Daniel Pérez

Comment

Working...
                                X