Anyone creating Kung fu sets?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone creating Kung fu sets?

Has anyone previously or or actively creating their own Kung fu sets? Not that I consider myself to be a master or anything of the sort but there are two that I’ve been working on & am considering sharing to create a discussion to hear opinions and constructive criticism. The first is composed of slightly more sequences, very many short ones, strung together in a way I find to be logical, and all the techniques are exclusively ones I have pulled off successfully in real time, a collection of what I’d consider my most marvelous moments. The other is a compilation of every punch I’ve seen in shaolin, and I use Grandmaster Wong Kiew Kits 12 punches from the art of shaolin Kung fu as the base, it includes punches that also appear in Hoong Ka (some over hand punches) but seem not to have a dedicated name to the technique, as well as punches I’ve seen in Lohan(short jab hammer), Mizong Yi (inverse hammer), Choy Lee Fut(clobber Fist & over head horn punch), & Hop Ga(reverse jab & reverse upward cannon). I call this one “Shaolin 36 Crazy Fist”. And the former set comprising only of the best Kung fu techniques I’ve pulled off successfully in real time does not have a name yet. I’m really curious to see/ hear other people’s experiences composing their own sets.

"HER-IT!"

I for one am really excited you are doing this! Sets are awesome and useful in so many different ways. Creating your own sets is an enlightening experience! Please do post them, as I'd love to see them and would be happy to comment on them (and I'm sure I'm not the only one).

I used to sometimes formally create my own sets, but sadly, I don't remember any of them now, as I am already drowning in the many formal sets I've learned in Shaolin Wahnam! Usually, they were like your first set, with the goal of capturing the patterns and sequences that I particularly enjoyed using at the time. A trail of such sets over the years would be an interesting way to see your development and be reminded of some of the cool/effective things you used to do a lot but moved on from for one reason or another.

That said, I still create impromptu sets all the time as a convenient way to drill sequences, awkward patterns, or just about anything I want to train in kung fu in a cost-effective way. For instance, I might strike the four gates with a sequence many times or with a series of variations of a sequence to, for instance, account for specific counters I've either encountered or am wary of protecting myself against while employing the sequence. Or I might do the same pattern or couple of patterns while moving around an area. I don't start out necessarily thinking of it as a set, but I frequently end up with one to conform to my practice space without having to stop, or to free myself from thinking about how to do the pattern(s) continuously so I can focus on more important aspects.

I sometimes also "improvise" on a set by repeating a section several times or with variations before continuing with the set proper.

I find that practicing in such ways helps me to train more cost-effectively by reducing the number of starts and stops that tend to happen when I, say, practice a sequence. When there is a natural end point, I want to stop and reset before restarting. Impromptu sets make it easier for me to adjust that endpoint to get the most out of my practice. For instance, instead of doing a sequence across the room, taking a few seconds to reset, then doing it back across the room, I might do it across the room and immediately turn to defend behind me and continue it back across the room as many times as I like, or immediately change into a "defensive" sequence that causes me to move backwards.
    Chris Didyk
    Shaolin Wahnam USA

Thank You.

Comment

Hey Sifu Chris, sorry it took so long for me to finally get around to posting one! Every punch I've ever learned or seen performed in Shaolin or in any derivative branch. I was pretty proud of this one once I finally put it all together. Warm regards <3

Shaolin 36 Crazy Wind Demon Fist

44 different punching maneuvers total. But the focus and the name are derived from the 36 performed with the level fist. **There are additional punching maneuvers with other hand forms thrown in either just because they are particularly special to me or I felt they deserved to be included** I attempt to list them here and due to my limited knowledge a lot of these names are my attempt at technical improvisation. My hope is to have some of these corrected and to learn the original names. Mostly from the 12 punches in "The Art of Shaolin Kung Fu", Cross-roads at Four Gates, Taming the Tiger in an "H" Pattern, and a Choy Lee Fut set from my Lai Tung Pai Kung Fu School called Sap Tzi Kau Da. Editing because I plan on coming back and correcting this as I get new information as well as add in the intermediate patterns between punches.

1. Double Sinking
      2. Thrust Punches
      3. Upward Cannon
      4. Ox-Horn Punch
      5. Diagonal Punch
      6. Whip Punch
      7. Sweeping Punch
      8. Wave Punch
      9. Chopping Punch
      10. Hanging Hammer Punch
      ** Stabbing Punch / Chap Choi (Choy Lay Fatt)
      11. Upward Chop? (Choy Lay Fatt)
      13. Reverse Upward Cannon Punch ? (Hop Ga)
      14. Side Chop? (Long Fist)
      15. Sinking Punch
      16. Throwing Punch
      17. Side Cannon Punch?
      18. Chong Choi / Charging Punch? (From Southern? Lohan Kung Fu)
      19. Overhead Horn Punch / Faan Gohk Choi (Choy Lay Fatt)
      **Clobber Fist / Kahp Choi
      20. Side Hanging Hammer Fists / Cross-Road Separate Gold
      Shrinking and Bending Elbow
      21. Inverse Hammer? "Empty Step Insert Hammer" (From Mizong Yi)
      Shrinking and Bending Elbow (Shao Hong Quan)
      22. Reverse Punch? (Lai Tong Pai)
      **Pig Hoof Hand
      23. Sun Fists / Continuous Chain Punches (Wing Chun & Long Fist)
      **Cup Fists ** Double Cup Fists / Drunken Man Offers Wine & Drunkard Carries Wine Barrel (Ma Family 8 Drunken Shadows)
      24. Short Jab Hammer? (Lohan Kung Fu)
      25. Reverse Jab? (Mizong Yi / Tan Tui)
      26. Overhead Level Punch (8 Drunken Immortals / Choy Lay Fatt / Hoong Ka)
      27. Rolling Punch (as it's known in Northern Shaolin, very similar technique appears in Southern Lohan but Master P'ng Chye Khim thrusts the fists out a bit straighter. Potentially not even the same thing.)
      28. Flower Fist Technique
      29. Side Wave Punch (From Hop Ga)
      30. Double Thrust Punch "Double Dragons Go Out to Sea"
      1st and 2nd Star Throwing Punch
      31. Side Thrusts "Double Dragons Emerge From Sea" (From Northern 7 Stars Fist)
      32. Armpit Punch
      33. Double Ox-Horn Punch (Choy Lay Fatt / Tai Chi Quan)
      34. Double Upward Cannon Punch
      False-Leg Lift Fists
      35. Double Hanging Hammer Fists
      **Iron Fans Close Door (Choy Lay Fatt)
      36. Double Throwing (Choy Lay Fatt)
      Shrinking and Bending Elbow
      "Single Whip" (from northern Shao Hong Quan)
      **Tiger Eye Leopard Fist (Hoong Ka)
      **Dzuan (Xing Yi)
      "2nd Brother Offers Wine" (Tan Tui)
      Rising Dragon Galloping Tiger
      Drunken Man Offers Wine (Tan Tui)
      White Crane Exhibits Wing
      Two Tigers at Ready
      Last edited by sonwukong; 16 October 2020, 12:52 AM.

"HER-IT!"

Comment

Thanks for posting this! Love the name

This is a big set!!! Is there any chance of another video where we can see the entire form (e.g. stances and body movement)?

How do you practice it? Do you usually do the entire set or break it up into one or more chunks to rep? Something else?
        Chris Didyk
        Shaolin Wahnam USA

Thank You.

Comment

Sorry for the late reply again! Yes indeed, Sifu Didyk! Basically I had split it up into sections as I was formulating it, so that by the time I was working on the second section, I was practicing both the 1st and 2nd sections together in sequential order, as well as the second section by itself. And so on as I came up with the rest, drilling and practicing the last section that I made, and then all of the sections together again. Here is the set again from a wider angle this time, sadly I cannot perform the footwork as fast this go-around.

Downtown Portland, Oregon. Performing the Kung-Fu Set that I formulated with an injured left leg. I cannot bend it to even 90 degrees due to a gun-shot wound...

"HER-IT!"

Comment

Congratulations sonwukong ...very good and fun effort despite your old leg injury ...there is even a pattern called Lohan adjust specs at 1:56
            Damian Kissey
            Shaolin Wahnam Sabah , Malaysia .
            www.shaolinwahnamsabah.com

Comment

Very nice, sonwukong! Thank you for the updated video. I see good progress between your previous video and this one. Your training approach is a good one.

You also look to be healing quite well from your injury! I'm sure that if you keep training well, your footwork will be back where it was soon...and then it will be better than ever.
              Chris Didyk
              Shaolin Wahnam USA

Thank You.

Comment

Yes Si-Heng Kissey, you caught me! lol had to make a slight adjustment there lol. Thank you for the kind words. And likewise Si-Heng Didyk, I'm not exactly sure how many years I've been aiming to deepen my Kung Fu but my best approximation is about 15 or so years total, on and off here and there, but still quite an investment of time nonetheless. Your kind words make me hopeful that the skill and force I've acquired after all this time is at least somehwat apparent through video. I'm hoping to make it all the more apparent in the coming years. All the best!

"HER-IT!"

Comment

Working...
                X