Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The importance of being relaxed and free of thoughts when we practice

Hi all,

I don't know if it is a common thing, I guess it could happen to many.

Don't you think that sometimes our practise becomes "automatic"?

In my experience, I tend to focus more on these two skills "being relaxed", and "free of thoughts" when I encounter some difficulty in training, face some stressful situation or I face an injury or a health problem...all these happenings being kind of a reminder of the importance of not neglecting these two things: "being relaxed and free of thoughts".

When I'm in the middle of difficult situations, these two basic skills are harder to apply, in other words, is more difficult to relax in a stressful situation and it is not easy to be free of thoughts when you are worried about something.

But that's when you need it more, isn't it?

Any comments are welcomed.

Best regards,

Daniel
    Daniel Pérez
    http://www.shaolinbcn.es

Dear Daniel Sihing,

I agree that being relaxed and free of thoughts can be more difficult in certain situations. In addition to good health, vitality, longevity, and spiritual benefits, I think our Shaolin Wahnam training can help us improve in this regard.

As we get better at the basic skills, we can apply them in more challenging situations. Maybe it's not easy, but it is surely valuable. Could this be a natural progression? Or does it require some intention?

Personally, I suspect it is both: our training opens the door to applying our skills in other situations, but then it's up to us to do it.

What is the value of doing so? Among other things, I believe it builds character and improves confidence, qualities that in turn benefit our training and outcomes.

What do you think?

All best,
    Michael

Comment

Dear Michael,

I totally agree with your last sentence, it builds character and confidence.

Often, when people are in trouble, or feeling down, they need the confidence for carrying on practising, and the character to not fall under other's influcences and opinions or under unfavourable circumstances.

So, the perseverance it takes to continue being relaxed and free of thougths is of utmost importance to get the results, all the way.

All the best,

Daniel
      Daniel Pérez

Comment

Dear Shaolin Wahnam Family,

I would like to thank Daniel Siheng and the participants of this thread.

While reading it, the third Golden Rule came to my mind (Enjoy the practice).

I would have one question: How important would be to enjoy the practice in comparison with being relaxed and free of thoughts?

With Love, Care and Shaolin Salute,

Santi

Comment

Originally posted by sancrica View Post
          I would have one question: How important would be to enjoy the practice in comparison with being relaxed and free of thoughts?
          I think, based on both my experience and the order and emphasis of the 3 rules it must fall between being free of thoughts and being relaxed. Being free of thoughts encompasses both rule number 1 and rule number 2, whereas being relaxed is a skill that one adjusts based upon the current needs.

Without referencing the rules, one might note that being free of thoughts and enjoying the practice are both mind level actions, while being relaxed is a form/energy level concern.

You could make the case that being free of thoughts and enjoying the practice are both simply being relaxed at the mind level, but if we're splitting them out as 'separate' then being relaxed must refer to what those don't refer to.

Comment

Dear Santi,

My view is that being relaxed, smiling from the heart (to enjoy) and free of thoughts are some of the "basic" wonderful results of the right and skillful practice. We need all three to generate a chi flow.

The three golden rules, including "enjoy the practice" are instructions used to solve any inconvenience inside or outside the practice (like thoughts and worries) and to focus in the right view, to enjoy what we are doing and receiving, allowing us to get the best benefits.

So i think all are important in their own position. It´s important to have these "basic" skills in practice and in daily life and it´s important to be able to return and/or maintain the right track.

Warm regards,

Ángel
            Last edited by Angel; 17 May 2018, 01:24 PM. Reason: format

Comment

Dear Santi, Alex and Angel,

I'd say now, in this point of my life, that the three Golden Rules (don't worry, don't intellectualize and enjoy the practice), are as important, if not more, as being relaxed and free of thoughts.

Maybe it's juts a matter of words.

Basically if you don´t worry and don't think of irrelevant thoughts, you are already free of thoughts. The same applies for being relaxed, when you are enjoying the session, you cannot be tensed, else you won't be confortable and carefree…

Best wishes!

Daniel
              Daniel Pérez

Comment

Dear Daniel,

Thanks for sharing your experience. I´m sure that not only you but others are benefiting a lot from it.

Best regards,

Ángel

Comment

Following the 3 golden rules can be quite challenging. Worrying and intellectualizing occurs in so many different forms and levels...

Comment

Thank you Ángel.

Karol, actually I think it´s easier to follow the three Golden rules than not following them. In my case, the problem is that sometimes in daily life I forget to simply let go and apply them, instead of practising mechanically...and the benefits are much less...if any….
                    Daniel Pérez

Comment

Working...
                    X