Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Last Chance.

Hello to the Community,

The reason I am posting this thread is that I will be moving into Rapid City, South Dakota on the 23rd of this month. I no longer have access to a teacher of Shaolin Kung Fu as this individual close the doors to the Kwoon a long time ago. And I have not seen any Teacher on or around the area on the main site.

I am looking for someone either in or with in range of the area stated above or around it. Whether they are Traveling and Practicing or Teaching and could use someone to practice with. Even if short travel and annual arraignments are made.

My luck with a good paying job to help me in my journey to continue learning this Art (IE; Traveling abroad) has been almost impossible. Right now I am stuck with what little I have learned of Cosmos Chi Kung, and Combat Sequences 1-7. The only alternatives where I am heading to is Karate, Tae Kwon Do, and Ju-jitsu and personally I would rather not go down those roads.

Anyone in the community with more information, services, or other I would appreciate it. This is my last chance at continuing this art. Thanks
    David

Young Caine: How does man rid himself of such terrible things?
    Master Kahn: Each man must start with himself, within himself.. By slowly forging his Chi, the bond between the finite and the infinte, the inner essense of his strenght and the limitless power of the Universe, only thus can you conquer the power.. and the presence of evil.

Hello other David,

Last chance...So dramatic.

I've never had regular practice partners, and my Sifu has always lived in another state. I love my job but the pay is actually very low... Yet I still have managed to keep progressing and excelling in our arts through daily practice and attendance of a regional course every few years.

You have a vital resource you might be neglecting. I can attribute much of my progress to lots and lots and lots of time pouring over the TREASURE TROVE of Teaching found in the plethora of videos and philosophy articles on www.shaolin.org.

http://www.shaolin.org/video-clips-2...sequences.html Each sequence has its own amazing philosophy page.

http://www.shaolin.org/video-clips-7.../overview.html Intensive Kungfu course videos.

Sequences 1-7 is a lot of material already. Do you have a 30 minute horse stance? 10 minute Single leg stance with your eyes open? eyes closed? Excellent flexibility? Can extinguish a candle with one finger zen? Can readily defend from the 4 directions of attack? Can you perform Lohan asks the way in 4 breaths with picture perfect form, flow, and force? Have you refined your timing and spacing, flowing movement, quick decision, feint attack, and instant change? Have you perfected Dark Dragon Draws Water fa jing and reduced the movements? Reduced the movements from 3 to 1 in Bar the Big Boss? There are a lot of benchmarks and solo training goals in just those levels.

You could also hop a cheap flight over to Florida to see Chris and Christina, or New Hampshire to see Matt, or Minnesota to see Molly, or California to see me.

This isn't your last chance, you have many chances, unless you plan to give up and die today.

Take care,
    David
    Shaolin Wahnam USA

"Every morning you are born again. What you do today is the most important thing".

Comment

Originally posted by David Langford View Post
      Hello other David,

Last chance...So dramatic.

I've never had regular practice partners, and my Sifu has always lived in another state. I love my job but the pay is actually very low... Yet I still have managed to keep progressing and excelling in our arts through daily practice and attendance of a regional course every few years.

You have a vital resource you might be neglecting. I can attribute much of my progress to lots and lots and lots of time pouring over the TREASURE TROVE of Teaching found in the plethora of videos and philosophy articles on www.shaolin.org.

http://www.shaolin.org/video-clips-2...sequences.html Each sequence has its own amazing philosophy page.

http://www.shaolin.org/video-clips-7.../overview.html Intensive Kungfu course videos.

Sequences 1-7 is a lot of material already. Do you have a 30 minute horse stance? 10 minute Single leg stance with your eyes open? eyes closed? Excellent flexibility? Can extinguish a candle with one finger zen? Can readily defend from the 4 directions of attack? Can you perform Lohan asks the way in 4 breaths with picture perfect form, flow, and force? Have you refined your timing and spacing, flowing movement, quick decision, feint attack, and instant change? Have you perfected Dark Dragon Draws Water fa jing and reduced the movements? Reduced the movements from 3 to 1 in Bar the Big Boss? There are a lot of benchmarks and solo training goals in just those levels.

You could also hop a cheap flight over to Florida to see Chris and Christina, or New Hampshire to see Matt, or Minnesota to see Molly, or California to see me.

This isn't your last chance, you have many chances, unless you plan to give up and die today.

Take care,
      David
      Hello other David

Okay, okay all dramatics aside , you've certainly given me more goals to shoot for. Before I move out I will have to list all you have given me here and work toward them.

Florida is where I started out. The economy plummeting the way it did has had me bouncing around from one place to another. I certainly wouldn't have a problem flying to train with any one of you. Money however is the main problem. I am hoping in the mean time something comes about. And now that I am thinking about it . . Minnesota would be allot closer. . .

Thanks for the info other David (Sifu David) I appreciate it.
      Last edited by Buddhasfist1; 18 April 2018, 09:09 PM.
      David

Master Kahn: Each man must start with himself, within himself.. By slowly forging his Chi, the bond between the finite and the infinte, the inner essense of his strenght and the limitless power of the Universe, only thus can you conquer the power.. and the presence of evil.

Comment

Excellent! Please check back in to tell us of your successes!
        Shaolin Wahnam USA

"Every morning you are born again. What you do today is the most important thing".

Comment

Hi Davids... I shall have to call you David L and David Buddhasfist temporarily for the purpose of distinguishing who I am talking to in this post!

David Buddhasfist, there are many of us on this forum, as well of course as many people in life, who face employment and financial challenges, as well as other challenges. I have a challenge or two myself at the moment, though nothing as serious as the continued development of my kungfu luckily! But I don't wish to use myself as an example for you, because I am only a fellow student trying to work through my challenges.

It is the other David L who I want to put forward as an example to us. There are a lot of people, myself included, who have gone to more courses than he has. But he has made more progress than most. The things he has learned he has taken the time to learn well, rather than jump on to the next thing. Stances, footwork, flexibility, the basic sequences. He has made use of the resources on the website as he said.

One result of this work, is that he now has brick-breaking power. There's a video of that somewhere. There has to be otherwise people like me don't believe it.

But there is another result. He happens to be a really good teacher. (Obviously I mean that as no slight on any of the other people mentioned, as I have never yet had a lesson from any of them.) So if you do get the chance to train with him, I'd recommend taking it, and of course that goes for the other instructors too.

Now for fun, thinking of the theme of perseverence it sometimes takes to make it through training stages, and the striking power I spoke of, just made me think of this video:
          Kill Bill: Vol. 2 - The Bride (Uma Thurman) is challenged by Master Pai Mei (Chiu Hui Liu) to punch through a block of wood.BUY THE MOVIE: https://www.fandan...

Surely it is true that we must not "acquiesce to defeat before we even begin".

Ps I'm not used to giving compliments, in the interests of balance and yin yang harmony I will try to think of some bad things to say about David L and get back to you guys.

Comment

Originally posted by drunken boxer View Post
            Hi Davids... I shall have to call you David L and David Buddhasfist temporarily for the purpose of distinguishing who I am talking to in this post!

David Buddhasfist, there are many of us on this forum, as well of course as many people in life, who face employment and financial challenges, as well as other challenges. I have a challenge or two myself at the moment, though nothing as serious as the continued development of my kungfu luckily! But I don't wish to use myself as an example for you, because I am only a fellow student trying to work through my challenges.

It is the other David L who I want to put forward as an example to us. There are a lot of people, myself included, who have gone to more courses than he has. But he has made more progress than most. The things he has learned he has taken the time to learn well, rather than jump on to the next thing. Stances, footwork, flexibility, the basic sequences. He has made use of the resources on the website as he said.

One result of this work, is that he now has brick-breaking power. There's a video of that somewhere. There has to be otherwise people like me don't believe it.

But there is another result. He happens to be a really good teacher. (Obviously I mean that as no slight on any of the other people mentioned, as I have never yet had a lesson from any of them.) So if you do get the chance to train with him, I'd recommend taking it, and of course that goes for the other instructors too.

Now for fun, thinking of the theme of perseverence it sometimes takes to make it through training stages, and the striking power I spoke of, just made me think of this video:
            Kill Bill: Vol. 2 - The Bride (Uma Thurman) is challenged by Master Pai Mei (Chiu Hui Liu) to punch through a block of wood.BUY THE MOVIE: https://www.fandan...

Surely it is true that we must not "acquiesce to defeat before we even begin".

Ps I'm not used to giving compliments, in the interests of balance and yin yang harmony I will try to think of some bad things to say about David L and get back to you guys.
            I want thank you both for you replies. As of tomorrow Monday the 23rd, I will be heading out to Rapid City, though I will be staying at Mission (Shelter) for a time, (And crossing fingers there will be a Dorm Room of sorts to practice semi-privately in). I will not be able to post replies for some time after this date. Cornerstone Mission has a 90 day program and I should find housing within that period of time, although I will be coming back into my home state to pick up a few Boxes when I do get housing. I am also crossing fingers that I am going to obtain work that will pay decently.

Shortly after David L gave me a list of goals to work toward I started on two of them that night. I will be following up with more. As I fore mentioned I wouldn't mind traveling if I could, it's just become disheartening to see what little I have worked for also seem so distant (Also in Regards to Finance). When I get the chance I will go see Molly though I will need a Contact and Address I don't see any of those on the Instructor Page.

Many thanks to the Community.
            David

Comment

Your success in Kungfu isn't so distant, but a matter of course if you work towards proper aims and objectives. Right now you have more material than a boxer with only 5 techniques. Get super good at stances, footwork, basic techniques and skills, and force training. You'll see huge gains.

Above all enjoy your practice rather than despair, because you already have a treasure trove of Shaolin in the elite arts you have already been taught.

Build an adamantium solid foundation and then build more on top.

Happy training,
              David

Originally posted by Buddhasfist1 View Post
              I want thank you both for
              you replies. As of tomorrow Monday the 23rd, I will be heading out to Rapid City, though I will be staying at Mission (Shelter) for a time, (And crossing fingers there will be a Dorm Room of sorts to practice semi-privately in). I will not be able to post replies for some time after this date. Cornerstone Mission has a 90 day program and I should find housing within that period of time, although I will be coming back into my home state to pick up a few Boxes when I do get housing. I am also crossing fingers that I am going to obtain work that will pay decently.

Shortly after David L gave me a list of goals to work toward I started on two of them that night. I will be following up with more. As I fore mentioned I wouldn't mind traveling if I could, it's just become disheartening to see what little I have worked for also seem so distant (Also in Regards to Finance). When I get the chance I will go see Molly though I will need a Contact and Address I don't see any of those on the Instructor Page.

Many thanks to the Community.
              Shaolin Wahnam USA

Comment

Ps.

As you rebuild a successful life, use the internal force and momentum of your practice to propel you forward. Above all remember that when your thoughts arise events materialize. Stay positive and plan a noble future. You will succeed.
                Shaolin Wahnam USA

Comment

I was re-reading Sigung's fundamental philosophy classics and came across this passage in "Sequence 8 - How to Follow Up from a Feint Attack". A reminder that it is important to practice select applications and sequences daily for long enough to achieve the intended result if we want to be combat efficient. It also reveals one reason why we might choose to chamber one hand during a strike.

"The opening attack “Fierce Tiger Speeds through Valley” in this sequence, as in the other sequences, is used as a feint move to tempt the opponent to counter-attack. That is why the left guard hand, which is normally held near the right shoulder in this pattern, is purposely left exposed.

As the opponent falls into our trap and counter-attacks, we can response in numerous prepared ways, such as executing another “Fierce Tiger” in Sequence 5, “Dark Dragon” in Sequence 6, and “White Snake” in Sequence 7. In this sequence, we use “Single Knife” to fracture his attacking arm or dislocate his attacking elbow, followed immediately with “Horizontally Sweep a Thousand Armies” at his neck. Hence, if you are well trained, like having practiced selected techniques at least 50 times daily for a few months, you may defeat your opponent the moment he responses to your feint moves."

- Grandmaster Wong Kiew Kit
                  Shaolin Wahnam USA

Comment

Originally posted by David Langford View Post
                    Your success in Kungfu isn't so distant, but a matter of course if you work towards proper aims and objectives... Get super good at stances, footwork, basic techniques and skills, and force training. You'll see huge gains.

Above all enjoy your practice rather than despair, because you already have a treasure trove of Shaolin in the elite arts you have already been taught.

These are golden words of advice.

Cheers, David.
                    Charles David Chalmers
                    Brunei Darussalam

Comment

Hi David,

David Langford's advice is sound. Really with combat sequences 1-7 and basic stance training, that's more than enough to work on while you sort out your living situation, especially coupled with your qigong practice. Remember, Sigung Ho's specialty was Single Tiger and Black Tiger, two of the most basic techniques that we learn. There are always more layers to unwrap in our kungfu techniques. The marvelous is not found in flashy techniques, but rather in extraordinary application of the basics.

It is also important to remember to set your intentions...In this case I'm not speaking so much of your training but rather in solidifying your current living and financial situation. It is a hallmark in our kungfu and especially our qigong practice that as we continue to train and purify our minds, they get stronger. Ask for help from Guanyin Boddhisatva to help guide you to a better situation. Have a gentle thought of yourself already there as you conclude your qigong practice. Where thought goes, qi flows. As long as you use a powerful mind to the good, you will have a positive benefit. This has proven itself to me over and over and over in my years of training.

If you find yourself in MN, I'm happy to meet up to train. All my contact info is on my website:

https://www.shaolinwahnamtc.com/

All the best,

Molly
                      有志著事竟成

Shaolin Wahnam Twin Cities

Genuine Shaolin Kungfu and Qigong in Minnesota

Comment

Originally posted by Molly View Post
                        Hi David,

David Langford's advice is sound. Really with combat sequences 1-7 and basic stance training, that's more than enough to work on while you sort out your living situation, especially coupled with your qigong practice. Remember, Sigung Ho's specialty was Single Tiger and Black Tiger, two of the most basic techniques that we learn. There are always more layers to unwrap in our kungfu techniques. The marvelous is not found in flashy techniques, but rather in extraordinary application of the basics.

It is also important to remember to set your intentions...In this case I'm not speaking so much of your training but rather in solidifying your current living and financial situation. It is a hallmark in our kungfu and especially our qigong practice that as we continue to train and purify our minds, they get stronger. Ask for help from Guanyin Boddhisatva to help guide you to a better situation. Have a gentle thought of yourself already there as you conclude your qigong practice. Where thought goes, qi flows. As long as you use a powerful mind to the good, you will have a positive benefit. This has proven itself to me over and over and over in my years of training.

If you find yourself in MN, I'm happy to meet up to train. All my contact info is on my website:

All the best,

Molly
                        Hello to all,
                        I found myself able to reply on this site via mobile phone. I have been here a few weeks now. And was able to obtain work though I had to wait a week for a background check. The mission will help.me with housing after a time of working and staying here. So this is great news.

Finally got to view other replies here, I would like to thank you all for your words if inspiration, And Molly for the website which I have saved

The Mission has no dorms as I had hoped, and when I can find a park with semi-privacy I plan to begin training as you all have suggested. Right now it is difficult to get any training in since the expectation is that finding work and getting housing are more prioritized.

My thoughts will never leave my dreams and my goals. Thank you all.
                        David

Comment

Working...
                        X