No announcement yet.

Replacing White Crane Flaps Wings with Cloud Hands in Basic Taijiquan Syllabus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacing White Crane Flaps Wings with Cloud Hands in Basic Taijiquan Syllabus

Dear family,

Sifu just posted on his website that the set taught at level 2 of our Wahnam Taijiquan, which used to be "White Crane Flaps Wings" is now replaced with "Cloud Hands".

This is the first major change of our syllabus in many years.

After much thought, I have decided to replace the basic Taijiquan set White Crane Flaps Wings in the Taijiquan Syllabus with Cloud Hands.

There are a few good reasons for the replacement. "Cloud Hands" is shorter and can be learned readily by beginning Taijiquan students at Level 2 of our Wahnam Taijiquan Training Programme. "White Crane Flaps Wings" is a longer and more complicated set.

"Cloud Hands" cover all important patterns of Taijiquan. It is in better agreement with its Shaolin counterpart, "Lohan Asks the Way". One who is familiar with "Cloud Hands" can use its techniques to counter all the four categories of attack. It provides an ideal introduction to Taijiquan, fulling the functions of combat efficiency, health, vitality, longevity, mental clarity and spiritual joys.

Taijiquan instructors who have not learned the set can learn it from my videos, and let me confirmed it whenever we meet. Our Taijiquan instructors have the skills to do so.

"Cloud Hands" will be taught at the coming "Becoming a Shaolin Wahnam Kungfu Practitioner" course. It is a set not only for Taijiquan but also enriches all styles of kungfu.

- Grandmaster Wong Kiew Kit
    I completely agree that the shorter set is more suitable for beginners. While I take only a few lessons for teaching "Lohan Asks the Way" to Shaolin students, whose patterns are learnt in level 1 and simply linked together in level 2, it can take months to reach a reasonable level of "White Crane Flaps Wings".

Nevertheless, the cherished "White Crane Flaps Wings" set will surely still serve its purpose in seminars well.

Off to re-learn "Cloud Hands" now.

Best wishes,

Leo
    Sifu Leonard Lackinger

Shaolin Treasure House

Shaolin Wahnam Wien & Shaolin Treasure House

Sifu Leonard Lackinger

Shaolin Treasure House

Comment

Thank you Leo for sharing this.

While I have enjoyed teaching the White Crane Flaps Wings set, and all the combat applications it holds, it is true that the Cloud Hands set is easier for a beginner. And it still contains very efficient combat applications as well.

Is there any knowledge if the White Crane set is to be tauch later at the syllabus? Or only on special extra courses for new Taijiquan practitioners?

Best wishes,

Nessa
      Nessa Kahila
      Shaolin Nordic Finland
      Instructor
      nessa@shaolin-nordic.com

www.shaolin-nordic.com

Comment

Sifu mentioned to me that:

White Cloud Flaps Wings is a lovely set and will be taught at special regional courses if organizers request it.
        I am sure the set would be a nice combination with the 4 Abridged Taijiquan Combat Sequences:

Best wishes,

Leo
        Sifu Leonard Lackinger

Shaolin Treasure House

Comment

Working...
        X