Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chi Kung practice after Small Universe

Dear Family,

My Sifu told me that all the internal practice can be divided to before and after Small Universe.

How attaining the Small Universe influenced your Chi Kung practice?

Do you still practice other forms of Chi Kung, or focus only on Small, Big Universe?

How often do you practice? During Small and Big Universe Course last December in Penang there were people who attended the course for second or third time. Different students told me that they got different advices.

Some were told to practice every day for 9 months to make sure the route will be clear .

My Sifu told me that practice every 2-3 days is enough.

Sigung told us that we can practice every day as long as it gives us good benefits and vitality.

I heard about people who after Small Universe were able to practice only some repetitions of Lifting the Sky every couple of days, or else it will be too powerfull...

What is your way, your experiences? How often do you practice Small or Big Universe?

I think the different advice is because everybody has different attainments and levels.
    It's the mark of a great teacher, same teaching, but different effects for different people.

For me personally, I did the small universe course once.

The big universe (the medical big universe) comes up always after my normal chi kung practise,
    usually my chi flow ends with a couple of rounds before I go back to the dan tian.

I could force it, but I mostly just let things be wu-wei.

With the small universe, haven't really practised it that much, although it's clearly there.
    My body prefers the forceful small universe, I spontaneously grip with the toes, clench the anus, regardless if I try the other routes. It's a hard practise to be honest

Best regards,
    Tim

Comment

Great Question!

Hey Karol,

I think you raised a good question here.

I too don't really know how to adjust my practice now that we've covered the Small Universe.

Rather than really fuss about it, I've just done what seemed natural.

I kept a bit of my 18 Lohan Hands practice up, while adding the Small Universe practice either before of after. Not being as deep or mature as some of these folks, I noticed that my Small Universe is not quite all there. It can easily be started in the non-forceful way, without really needing the abdominal pushing. Yet I've seen that the Ren energy doesn't really fully connect. I've also noticed that it's more of the spurts than the continuous stream, as described in literature for the beginning stages of using SU.

As such, I usually do it 1-3 times per day, but only for a few breaths. Say 6-12, each time. Usually, I do it upon waking - for some reason it's really easy for me to do while lying in bed. I also do it after Chi Kung practice when I've done a number of the 18 Lohan Hands, for consolidation, or before a 1-4 minute Golden Bridge.

I'm not very "consistent" though, and just sort of do it when it feels good...

What are y'all's thoughts?

Comment

Originally posted by AbramGrae View Post
        I usually do it 1-3 times per day
        Too much, Abram. Sifu recommends practicing once or twice per day. More is too much in the majority of cases.
        Sifu Andrew Barnett
        Shaolin Wahnam Switzerland - www.shaolin-wahnam.ch

Flowing Health GmbH www.flowing-health.ch (Facebook: www.facebook.com/sifuandrew)
        Healing Sessions with Sifu Andrew Barnett - in Switzerland and internationally
        Heilbehandlungen mit Sifu Andrew Barnett - in der Schweiz und International

Comment

Thanks Andrew -

This is helpful, but I'm a bit confused. Rather than doing the 36-breaths (or more), I'm doing 6-12 a few times a day. It had seemed that going less deep, more often would still be okay. Sikung did say that going less deep into such exercises could lessen the risk of over training. I supposed you're saying it's better for me to do the 36-breaths, once a day, rather than my less deep, many times.

That said, I still stand by Karol's original question and wonder about how to combine this new practice combine with our other practices - Chi Kung (18 Lohan Hands) & Kung Fu (Art of Flexibility, Stance Practice, and Basic Sets). We have been given guidance on how to properly plan a training schedule (link). It just seemed like we could spread the practices out over the day, as long as we didn't really break with the depth of practice rules or go for longer than is described.

I must admit though that I felt the symptoms of over practicing recently and significantly dialed back, as per recommendations.

It seems that I've piled up so many things worth practicing daily, that it's hard (for me, as of yet) to avoid over practicing

Comment

The number of repetitions has little to do with the depth of an exercise. For example, when Sifu teaches Sinew Metamorphosis at a high level, he teaches only 3 repetitions. When teaching at a lower level, he teaches 12 (or more) repetitions. If we were to compare that to what you have been doing, you could even have raised the level instead of lowering it.

Whatever Sifu teaches, he always says to practice Chi Kung once or twice a day only. Many "mini-sessions" is simply not following instructions.

Kung Fu can be practiced on many levels. If you reduce it to the form level, you can practice as much as you like and as many times as you like each day.

Back to the original question regarding how to practice, it is quite simple

When practicing Chi Kung (whether Kung Fu or "just" Chi Kung), limit it to two sessions a day. Set a goal for your practice and choose the exercises / routine that best helps you achieve your goal(s). Regardless of this, practice the other things you have learned from time to time so that you do not forget them.

Hoping that helps......
            Sifu Andrew Barnett
            Shaolin Wahnam Switzerland - www.shaolin-wahnam.ch

Flowing Health GmbH www.flowing-health.ch (Facebook: www.facebook.com/sifuandrew)
            Healing Sessions with Sifu Andrew Barnett - in Switzerland and internationally
            Heilbehandlungen mit Sifu Andrew Barnett - in der Schweiz und International

Comment

Thank you!

This is quite insightful and helpful, as your other posts were. You reminded me of things I've known, but didn't listen to - if that makes sense. I'll limit my practice to two, more deliberate and mindful attempts per day.

I appreciate your advice.

~Abram

Comment

Working...
              X