No announcement yet.

Tea Party

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In case you are interested in Chinese culture of drinking Tea (and living in general), you can read the chapter on this tasty topic in the book "Live well, live long" by Peter Deadman.

The author is known by most western acupuncturists, as he co-authored the reference book on acupuncture which now serves as the reference compendium on acupuncture points.

This is a book I enjoy very much, it describes various teas, preparation techniques etc. And it is still short and fun to read.

By the way, I enjoy Pu Erh from Guangzhou

Anton
    Engage and maintain joyful practice!

May all of you get the best benefits from what you do.

Anton Schmick
    Shaolin Wahnam Germany Nord

shaolinwahnamchina.com
    http://chikunghamburg.wordpress.com
    http://shaolinwahnam-nord.de
    http://kungfu-luebeck.de

Comment

I voted plain green, my all time favourite type of tea.

1) How many of you out there prefer tea over coffee?
      Coffee is nice, but to hot for me. Tea for me not only tastes great, it feels great, it feels like it cleanses your mouth, your body, your mind.
      It opens my lungs, my heart and has a nice yin yang ability of relaxing and energizing.

2) Herbal or flavored?
      Just plain, natural. Although a green tea with the scent of jasmine is pretty nice to.

3) Medicinal, tonic, ceremonial, or recreational?
      Purely recreational

I drink it in a gaiwan, my glass gaiwan is now my companion for at least 6 years. In tea shops they drink out of mini cups, but I prefer brewing and drinking straight out of the gaiwan.
      It's a pretty nice device, and it takes some skill to be able to hold the saucer, cup and lid all-in-one while drinking. It trains your kungfu, your skill
      I tried all forms of drinking tea, but this one is my favourite. The most intense taste and strenght.

4) Top two types/brands/varieties?
      My favourite is Chinese types of green tea, mainly because of how they are processed. The Japanese greens are very nice aswell, especially Gyokuru.
      It's hard to have a favourite, right now my favourite is Mao Feng, it's in my humble opinion the best green to be found in the city right now, quality and price wise.
      Another tea I like alot is Rock tea, a Wuyi type Oolong, like Da Hong Pao. It's hard however to find good quality. The best I had was from Penang.

5) How often do you drink/consume?
      Every day. It's one of my most favourite moments of the day to be honest. I can look forward to it immensly. I love it on an empty stomach, or after a meal.
      The only downside is, you can only drink so much. The first cups are euphoric, wonderfull, then the intensity comes down a little and by the end, enough is enough for the day
      I usually drink it in one session, fill up my gaiwan, 2 to 3 brews, then fill again, repeat untill satisfied, haha

6) How often do you buy?
      When my stash ends. Every few weeks or so.

7) What is the most you have ever spent on a single tea purchase and the most on a tea accessory or tool (tea pot, processing tool, cup, set, etc.)?
      Around 600 euros, in a teashop in Penang. I had to, I bothered these people like every day lol.
      It also included little clay pots, wich can be pretty expensive. The one I bought was about 100 euros if I'm not mistaken.

Now I keep things more simple, just a gaiwan and my tea, and it's a winner combination haha

Best regards,
      Last edited by Guest; 14 February 2018, 10:50 AM. Reason: little add-on

Comment

- Coffee is not an option.

2) Herbal or flavored?

- Anything but flavoured.

- I just drink tea.

- Oolong and pu'er

- Twice a day; oolong in the morning, pu'er in the evening.

6) How often do you buy?

- About once a year, which is every time I visit Malaysia.

7) What is the most you have ever spent on a single tea purchase and the most on a tea accessory or tool (tea pot, processing tool, cup, set, etc.)?

- About 100 euros, which got me a LOT. With tea, for me the trick is to find the right shops and the right brands for my everyday use, not paying ludicrous amounts for special stuff. Like with wine

Best wishes,
        Markus Kahila
        Shaolin Nordic Finland

www.shaolin-nordic.com

Comment

Originally posted by Tim Hoorens
          I drink it in a gaiwan, my glass gaiwan is now my companion for at least 6 years. In tea shops they drink out of mini cups, but I prefer brewing and drinking straight out of the gaiwan.
          I agree, Tim. Gaiwan is the best way to get the best flavor from your tea. I've been watching videos from the YouTube channel Kristian posted a while back (really fantastic resource on everything tea related, London folk should go check out their shop in Camden!) and they agree about the gaiwan. There are other very good ways, but especially if I'm brewing just for me, gaiwan is king.
          Love, and do what you will.

- St. Augustine

Comment

I've tried coffee. There are even a few witnesses to this fact. I don't know if I'll ever mature my taste buds to a true cup of coffee; it's tea for me, now and forever more.

I seem to enjoy plain teas more than flavored ones. I don't drink anything medicinally (my qigong is more than enough for my medical needs, haha); I drink tea strictly for enjoyment, even my parent's panacea of ginger and honey tea. A simple pleasure that has passed the test of eternity.

I've taken high tea twice in my life, both of them during my recent trip to Bern. Does that count as ceremony? Otherwise, I drink tea like any barbarian: whenever I want, wherever I please, in any nearby receptacle. That's not Daoist sagacity, though, just sheer laziness with doing the dishes some days.

I have a special attachment to vanilla almond tea, which was perhaps the first tea that I tried upon returning from China ten years ago and starting my biology studies. Helped make a lot of study nights a little more enjoyable.

Puer tea is perhaps my favorite of all teas. Plain, straight forward, and no surprises. Something that I can enjoy in all seasons and all times.

I drink tea a few days a week, and I prefer very weak and dilute tea, which means that my cupboard can last me several years at a time. I might use the same sachet or pinch of leaves for an entire day's worth of drinks. I was lucky enough to receive a few bags as a gift from a great friend recently, which means I'm set for the foreseeable future.

The most I've ever spent on a tea accessory was perhaps fifteen dollars on an electric tea kettle. I'm lazy and impatient, I want my hot water within seconds!

What this thread is telling me is that I need to find a hot water dispenser at work. Might even bring my own to the department...
            I like making silly videos (including kung fu ones!) every so often on YouTube and taking pictures of weird things on Instagram.

Comment

Oooooh... I think I could update my brain to tap into the universal mind and cosmic wisdom at the same time, or be reincarnated as a Harvard or Oxford professor, or a fox whose just been made professor of intelligence at Cambridge university to paraphrase Blackadder... and I still would be unable to answer the question do I prefer tea or coffee! I drink more coffee than tea, but I guess the nicest beverage I have ever tasted was a tea. And it was nicer than Coke (hitherto the nicest beverage I had ever tasted)!

2) Herbal or flavored?
              No no no no no! Neither! Just proper tea please! I don't even like green tea! Caveat: I have been served tea in China and Malaysia, and by Chinese friends, which is green in colour but tastes nice. But the sort of green tea that can be bought in a typical UK or Irish supermarket and which is enjoyed by posh people in offices, yuk! Proper builders tea, ie Tetleys or PG tips, with plenty of milk, beats it anyday!

Recreational.

As far as Chinese tea goes, I am not sure, a type my Taijiquan master used to serve, or a type called "gunpowder" tea but I don't know the brands.
              As far as 'British' (I think it is really Indian) goes, Darjeeling is my favourite and the only brand I know is Twinings.
              The Chinese tea I like, and the British tea I like, are actually quite similar in flavour except the British stuff needs milk whereas the Chinese is delicious on its own.

Every day.

6) How often do you buy?
              Every few months.

Single purchase: If you can count this, I think it was about £60 for "afternoon tea" for two in a posh hotel. It included champagne too. Afternoon tea, as in proper, formal afternoon tea with multiple trays of finger sandwiches, is one of my favourite meals. I'd rather have it than a steak dinner. And was the £60 worth it? Yes and no. Yes in that it was the nicest cup of tea I've ever tasted, and way nicer than the champagne! And no in that £60 for tea and sandwiches is a bit mental really! So it was a one off.
              Accessory or tool: I think it was about £50 on a teapot, but it was for someone else, for a present from their wedding list.

I was lucky enough once to live near a very picturesque part of England, where there was a little village with a "Tea Emporium": an establishment divided into a shop selling all kinds of tea, teapots, tea paraphernalia etc, and a tea room where I used to try a delicious pot of different tea every week. Them was the days.

Right, time to put the kettle on...

Comment

Working...
              X