2 20.00%
  • Ceremonial/One-of-a-Kind

0 0%
  • Tea Powder (NOT bagged or loose leaf)

0 0%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tea Party

Quote Originally Posted by Kristian
    I love Kombucha and have contemplated making my own but never dove into it to research.
    It's really quite simple. If you decide to give it a go I'll post some links and what I've found to be the most important points.

Also, found a VERY lovely video with a great general breakdown of the basic varieties of 'tea'
    What a great YouTube channel about tea! I've watched some more of his videos and it's some of the best info on tea I've found.

My favorite store bought kombucha is GT's original - "black label". There are two different GT's original: the more common one and one that has a stronger flavor. The only way to tell them apart is the price - the better one costs more - and the kombucha is darker. I forget if the labels are different colors.

I don't recommend Kevita, unless you like the flavor of artificial sweetener and sadness.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex
    I love pomegranate, but can never find it at the local stores
    Might be for the best, it's not cheap. When they're on sale at the end of the season they're still $2 each. But, they help to make fantastic kombucha.

Actually, what tea do you use?
    I only bottled my second batch of kombucha today, and both times I've used black tea. Later on I'll experiment with different teas once I have the process down.
    Love, and do what you will.

- St. Augustine

Andrea is offline Sifu Andrea Zilio - Instructor, Shaolin Wahnam Switzerland
    1) How many of you out there prefer tea over coffee?
    - I enjoy them both

2) Herbal or flavored?
    - Full herbal teas with quality plants taste wonderful, in summer from my own garden

3) Medicinal, tonic, ceremonial, or recreational?
    - not ceremonial, but otherwise all of them and also simply to quench the thirst

4) Top two types/brands/varieties?
    - Oolong (Taiwan High Mountain Teas, Tie Guan Yin)
    - All herbal teas growing in my garden

5) How often do you drink/consume?
    - daily

6) How often do you buy?
    - irregular, when the jars are empty

7) What is the most you have ever spent on a single tea purchase and the most on a tea accessory or tool (tea pot, processing tool, cup, set, etc.)?
    - can't remember, but high quality Oolongs aren't cheap

Join our Wahnam Tai Chi Chuan & Qi Gong Classes in Zürich and other Swiss locations

Facebook:
    www.facebook.com/Taichichuan.Wahnam.ch
    Google+ :
    https://plus.google.com/+TaiChiChuanQigongWahnamZürich/

Omar is offline Sifu Omar Iversen - Instructor, Shaolin Wahnam Norway
    Tea was actually the subject of the first large scale industrial espionage when the British stole tea plants from China.

I enjoy most high quality teas, but might be biased by my dad drinking Moroccan mint tea daily while I grew up. The plants survive Norwegian winters no sweat.
    When one door closes, another one opens.

tea tea tea

- I‘m a teadrinker. Never got into the taste of coffee

2) Herbal or flavored?
    - Both, depends on the occasion

- recreational

- Hampsteads Organic Tea Leaf Chai
    - mint leaves from my own plants (english and morrocon mint, but every year looking for something new to try)

- daily

6) How often do you buy?
    - when I‘m running out of my favorits or when some new tea catches my eye

7) What is the most you have ever spent on a single tea purchase and the most on a tea accessory or tool (tea pot, processing tool, cup, set, etc.)?
    - don‘t remember

My favourite tea is a caffe Latte with a double espresso shot. But, I guess Cha Gorreana's freshly cut plain green will have to do this time :P
    ~ yaaah ~

Anton S. is offline Sifu Anton Schmick - Instructor, Shaolin Wahnam Germany
    In case you are interested in Chinese culture of drinking Tea (and living in general), you can read the chapter on this tasty topic in the book "Live well, live long" by Peter Deadman.

https://peterdeadman.co.uk/live-well-live-long/

The author is known by most western acupuncturists, as he co-authored the reference book on acupuncture which now serves as the reference compendium on acupuncture points.

This is a book I enjoy very much, it describes various teas, preparation techniques etc. And it is still short and fun to read.

By the way, I enjoy Pu Erh from Guangzhou

Anton
    Engage and maintain joyful practice!

May all of you get the best benefits from what you do.

Anton Schmick
    Shaolin Wahnam Germany Nord

shaolinwahnamchina.com
    http://chikunghamburg.wordpress.com
    http://shaolinwahnam-nord.de
    http://kungfu-luebeck.de

I voted plain green, my all time favourite type of tea.

Coffee is nice, but to hot for me. Tea for me not only tastes great, it feels great, it feels like it cleanses your mouth, your body, your mind.
    It opens my lungs, my heart and has a nice yin yang ability of relaxing and energizing.

2) Herbal or flavored?
    Just plain, natural. Although a green tea with the scent of jasmine is pretty nice to.

Purely recreational

I drink it in a gaiwan, my glass gaiwan is now my companion for at least 6 years. In tea shops they drink out of mini cups, but I prefer brewing and drinking straight out of the gaiwan.
    It's a pretty nice device, and it takes some skill to be able to hold the saucer, cup and lid all-in-one while drinking. It trains your kungfu, your skill
    I tried all forms of drinking tea, but this one is my favourite. The most intense taste and strenght.

My favourite is Chinese types of green tea, mainly because of how they are processed. The Japanese greens are very nice aswell, especially Gyokuru.
    It's hard to have a favourite, right now my favourite is Mao Feng, it's in my humble opinion the best green to be found in the city right now, quality and price wise.
    Another tea I like alot is Rock tea, a Wuyi type Oolong, like Da Hong Pao. It's hard however to find good quality. The best I had was from Penang.

Every day. It's one of my most favourite moments of the day to be honest. I can look forward to it immensly. I love it on an empty stomach, or after a meal.
    The only downside is, you can only drink so much. The first cups are euphoric, wonderfull, then the intensity comes down a little and by the end, enough is enough for the day
    I usually drink it in one session, fill up my gaiwan, 2 to 3 brews, then fill again, repeat untill satisfied, haha

6) How often do you buy?
    When my stash ends. Every few weeks or so.

Around 600 euros, in a teashop in Penang. I had to, I bothered these people like every day lol.
    It also included little clay pots, wich can be pretty expensive. The one I bought was about 100 euros if I'm not mistaken.

Now I keep things more simple, just a gaiwan and my tea, and it's a winner combination haha

Best regards,
    Last edited by Tim Hoorens; 14th February 2018 at 11:50 AM. Reason: little add-on

Markus Kahila is offline Sifu Markus Kahila - Instructor, Shaolin Wahnam Finland

- Coffee is not an option.

2) Herbal or flavored?

- Anything but flavoured.

- I just drink tea.

- Oolong and pu'er

- Twice a day; oolong in the morning, pu'er in the evening.

6) How often do you buy?

- About once a year, which is every time I visit Malaysia.

- About 100 euros, which got me a LOT. With tea, for me the trick is to find the right shops and the right brands for my everyday use, not paying ludicrous amounts for special stuff. Like with wine

Best wishes,
    Markus Kahila
    Shaolin Nordic Finland

www.shaolin-nordic.com

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Hoorens
    I drink it in a gaiwan, my glass gaiwan is now my companion for at least 6 years. In tea shops they drink out of mini cups, but I prefer brewing and drinking straight out of the gaiwan.
    I agree, Tim. Gaiwan is the best way to get the best flavor from your tea. I've been watching videos from the YouTube channel Kristian posted a while back (really fantastic resource on everything tea related, London folk should go check out their shop in Camden!) and they agree about the gaiwan. There are other very good ways, but especially if I'm brewing just for me, gaiwan is king.
    Love, and do what you will.

- St. Augustine

I've tried coffee. There are even a few witnesses to this fact. I don't know if I'll ever mature my taste buds to a true cup of coffee; it's tea for me, now and forever more.

I seem to enjoy plain teas more than flavored ones. I don't drink anything medicinally (my qigong is more than enough for my medical needs, haha); I drink tea strictly for enjoyment, even my parent's panacea of ginger and honey tea. A simple pleasure that has passed the test of eternity.

I've taken high tea twice in my life, both of them during my recent trip to Bern. Does that count as ceremony? Otherwise, I drink tea like any barbarian: whenever I want, wherever I please, in any nearby receptacle. That's not Daoist sagacity, though, just sheer laziness with doing the dishes some days.

I have a special attachment to vanilla almond tea, which was perhaps the first tea that I tried upon returning from China ten years ago and starting my biology studies. Helped make a lot of study nights a little more enjoyable.

Puer tea is perhaps my favorite of all teas. Plain, straight forward, and no surprises. Something that I can enjoy in all seasons and all times.

I drink tea a few days a week, and I prefer very weak and dilute tea, which means that my cupboard can last me several years at a time. I might use the same sachet or pinch of leaves for an entire day's worth of drinks. I was lucky enough to receive a few bags as a gift from a great friend recently, which means I'm set for the foreseeable future.

The most I've ever spent on a tea accessory was perhaps fifteen dollars on an electric tea kettle. I'm lazy and impatient, I want my hot water within seconds!

What this thread is telling me is that I need to find a hot water dispenser at work. Might even bring my own to the department...
    I like making silly videos (including kung fu ones!) every so often on YouTube and taking pictures of weird things on Instagram.