Tea Party

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tea Party

Hello hello fellow brothers and sisters!

Very curious to know where people stand:

1) How many of you out there prefer tea over coffee?

2) Herbal or flavored?

3) Medicinal, tonic, ceremonial, or recreational?

4) Top two types/brands/varieties?

5) How often do you drink/consume?

6) How often do you buy?

And,

7) What is the most you have ever spent on a single tea purchase and the most on a tea accessory or tool (tea pot, processing tool, cup, set, etc.)?

My answers:

1) TEAAAA!!! ALL the way; never drink coffee, only on a few occasions/when traveling and seeking something delicious on occasion.

2) Herbal

3) Tonic, close second recreational

4) I adore gynostemma tea for its many, many benefits, price, and taste; second for me is a delicious chamomile or chrysanthemum tea

5) Daily, several times a day; rarely rarely miss a day for any reason

6) I do not buy too often but try to have a consistent supply of what I love on hand, with frequent rotation of small amounts of other teas to sample and experiment over time (thankfully tea is typically* pretty cheap)

And,

7) Tea Set in Penang; not the most expensive by far, and really barely what someone with a keen eye would consider "good", but a very quality set... that I still have not used as I find it too nice to utilize

Very interested to hear what others have to say/answer from their own experience and use!

Lu Yu's blessing upon us all!

Kristian
    Flavored/Fruit
    10.00%
    Plain Green
    40.00%
    Yellows
    0.00%
    Specialty Green
    20.00%
    Herbal/Medicinal/Tonic
    10.00%
    Dark/Roasted
    20.00%
    Ceremonial/One-of-a-Kind
    0.00%
    Tea Powder (NOT bagged or loose leaf)
    0.00%

The poll is expired.

Me

2) Herbal or flavored?
    N/A

Recreational

Pu-erh
    Oolong

Daily

6) How often do you buy?
    Infrequently

7) What is the most you have ever spent on a single tea purchase and the most on a tea accessory or tool (tea pot, processing tool, cup, set, etc.)?
    Not sure, maybe $20 for Pu-erh and $12usd in Penang on a full tea set.
    Love, and do what you will.

- St. Augustine

Comment

Originally posted by Kristian S. View Post

2) Herbal or flavored?

6) How often do you buy?

And,

1. I can't stand coffee more than a few hours after it's been roasted. So, I don't drink coffee.

2. I'm not sure what the difference is. I like black tea with bergamot, citrus peel, French vanilla creamer and sugar. So, whatever that counts as.

3. Purely recreational. It keeps a few glasses of Southern Sweet Ice Tea (I'm trying to be specific for y'all here, but from here I'll call it Sweet Tea) out of my system. My one vice...

4. I prefer the loose leaf Earl Grey Creme that the Tea and Spice Exchange sells, but if I can get Twinnings Earl Grey in a fresh, unsealed package that's a very close substitute. After that, I've been drinking a mix of Kwan Yin Tea and Blackberry Sage.

5. Two tiny cups of Earl Grey in the morning, and a small pot of the Kwan Yin Tea and Blackberry Sage mix in the evening. It's as much Sweet Tea as I can get between those times.

6. Very infrequently and in larger packages, but I try not to over buy, since tea is a spice and loses flavor with time.

7. About $20 for tea service at a local tea shop that closed down, and about $5 for a tea ball at some point.

Comment

Yes

2) Herbal or flavored?

Herbal

All of the above

Puerh and Oolong

Every day

6) How often do you buy?

As necessary

£500+
        George / Юра
        Shaolin Wahnam England

gate gate pāragate pārasaṁgate bodhi svāhā

Comment

I voted "Specialty Green" as I drink Yerba Mate.

Enjoy!
          Charles David Chalmers
          Brunei Darussalam

Comment

I also really enjoy kombucha tea, but as buying it at the store is somewhat expensive I didn't drink it very often..........Until I started making my own!

Today I tasted my first ever batch of home-brew kombucha, and it is delicious. If you like kombucha, it's quite simple to make at home once you know the process and some important points. It's also cheap.

Intro Video
            More intro information

- St. Augustine

Comment

I used to make kombucha. I kept forgetting mine, and making vinegar. It was quite good vinegar. Also made some petty cash selling all the scobys that grew from my batches of kombucha. But it was quite good when I was making it and doing it right. I just didn't drink enough to warrant continuing fermenting the stuff, so we gave away the last last scoby and converted the giant glass jars into storage containers.

Did you infuse herbs or fruits into yours? I think picking flavors was my favorite part of the process. Rosemary with blueberries was an interesting one. If I were doing it now, I'd probably try pineapple and something else, maybe mango or coconut.

Comment

Also made some petty cash selling all the scobys that grew from my batches of kombucha.
                I have also considered this.

Did you infuse herbs or fruits into yours?
                Did I ever! I ended up with five bottles that I left for a few more days to do the second fermentation: plain, blueberry, pineapple, cranberry, pomegranate. They all turned out really well. Pomegranate might have been my favorite, and I actually juiced a pomegranate myself and used that for the mix. I also learned that pure, freshly made pomegranate juice is one of the tastiest juices ever. If it's a fully ripe pomegranate, it tastes nothing like what you get at the store.

- St. Augustine

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew R View Post
                  I also really enjoy kombucha tea, but as buying it at the store is somewhat expensive I didn't drink it very often..........Until I started making my own!

Today I tasted my first ever batch of home-brew kombucha, and it is delicious. If you like kombucha, it's quite simple to make at home once you know the process and some important points. It's also cheap.

Intro Video
                  More intro information
                  VERY nice! I love Kombucha and have contemplated making my own but never dove into it to research. I make my own herbal tinctures and extracts, mostly from tonic and medicinal mushrooms and Chinese herbs, but fermentation has been a fascination for some time. Maybe this will get me to sit down and start experimenting!

Also, found a VERY lovely video with a great general breakdown of the basic varieties of 'tea' (excluding herbal or non-traditional leaves, plants, barks, etc.): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUuw5rqWkZU&t=149s

Curious to see who out there has sampled a very wide variety and what you might list as your favorites, preferences, and why.

Also, favorite Kombucha brands? I work somewhat near a kombucha bar and they have tons of varieties, seasonal blends, their own line of flavors, and once while doing a short film the production crew bought a small keg* of chaga and birch kombucha. Really quite a lot of options in that field of beverage!

Kristian

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew R View Post
                    Did I ever! I ended up with five bottles that I left for a few more days to do the second fermentation: plain, blueberry, pineapple, cranberry, pomegranate. They all turned out really well. Pomegranate might have been my favorite, and I actually juiced a pomegranate myself and used that for the mix. I also learned that pure, freshly made pomegranate juice is one of the tastiest juices ever. If it's a fully ripe pomegranate, it tastes nothing like what you get at the store.
                    I love pomegranate, but can never find it at the local stores, the farmer's markets or the Thai Temple market. It sounds like a fun flavor for kombucha.

Actually, what tea do you use? I used to do either black tea, green tea, or half black, half green. It changes the flavor a bit. Actually, I think I used oolong once, and didn't like it, but considering I don't like oolong to begin with, it's not surprising.
                    Last edited by Alex McLeod; 28 January 2018, 08:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kristian
                      I love Kombucha and have contemplated making my own but never dove into it to research.
                      It's really quite simple. If you decide to give it a go I'll post some links and what I've found to be the most important points.

Also, found a VERY lovely video with a great general breakdown of the basic varieties of 'tea'
                      What a great YouTube channel about tea! I've watched some more of his videos and it's some of the best info on tea I've found.

My favorite store bought kombucha is GT's original - "black label". There are two different GT's original: the more common one and one that has a stronger flavor. The only way to tell them apart is the price - the better one costs more - and the kombucha is darker. I forget if the labels are different colors.

I don't recommend Kevita, unless you like the flavor of artificial sweetener and sadness.

Originally posted by Alex
                      I love pomegranate, but can never find it at the local stores
                      Might be for the best, it's not cheap. When they're on sale at the end of the season they're still $2 each. But, they help to make fantastic kombucha.

Actually, what tea do you use?
                      I only bottled my second batch of kombucha today, and both times I've used black tea. Later on I'll experiment with different teas once I have the process down.

- St. Augustine

Comment

- I enjoy them both

2) Herbal or flavored?
                        - Full herbal teas with quality plants taste wonderful, in summer from my own garden

- not ceremonial, but otherwise all of them and also simply to quench the thirst

- Oolong (Taiwan High Mountain Teas, Tie Guan Yin)
                        - All herbal teas growing in my garden

- daily

6) How often do you buy?
                        - irregular, when the jars are empty

- can't remember, but high quality Oolongs aren't cheap

Enjoy some Wahnam Tai Chi Chuan & Qi Gong!

Evening Classes in Zürich
                        Weekend Classes in other Swiss locations

Facebook: www.facebook.com/Taichichuan.Wahnam.ch

Comment

Tea was actually the subject of the first large scale industrial espionage when the British stole tea plants from China.

I enjoy most high quality teas, but might be biased by my dad drinking Moroccan mint tea daily while I grew up. The plants survive Norwegian winters no sweat.
                          When one door closes, another one opens.

Comment

tea tea tea

- I‘m a teadrinker. Never got into the taste of coffee

2) Herbal or flavored?
                            - Both, depends on the occasion

- recreational

- Hampsteads Organic Tea Leaf Chai
                            - mint leaves from my own plants (english and morrocon mint, but every year looking for something new to try)

- daily

6) How often do you buy?
                            - when I‘m running out of my favorits or when some new tea catches my eye

- don‘t remember

Comment

My favourite tea is a caffe Latte with a double espresso shot. But, I guess Cha Gorreana's freshly cut plain green will have to do this time :P
                              ~ yaaah ~

Comment

Working...
                              X