Preparation for Intensive Kung Fu 2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Karol View Post
    Could You explain what is the full Zhan Zhuang cycle?
    I can't speak for him, but based on what he said, I'd guess Moving in Stances, where you start in Horse stance and move through the major stances, staying in each for a good long while. It is quite fun, when I remember to do it.

Comment

Back when I first started, my first Shaolin Wahnam sifu told me to cycle through the fundamental stances with the fists held at the waist ala Two Tigers at Ready. The cycle he taught me was:
      1. Begin with some repetitions of Lifting Sun and Moon and then going to Two Tigers at Ready.
      2. Horse Riding stance.
      3. Bow Arrow stance in one direction, then the other; doing the mirror image of each stance
      4. False Leg stance.
      5. Unicorn stance.
      6. Single Leg stance.
      7. Stream Character stance (aka Four-Six or Triangle).
      8. Goat stance.
      9. Back to Horse Riding stance or a variation of Horse Riding stance, such as Lohan Carrying Water or Golden Bridge. He recommended Lohan Carrying Water specifically for me because I had deviated in my training back at the beginning and closed off my chest in Golden Bridge.
      10. Complete in the usual manner with hopping up, Flowing Breeze Swaying Willows, etc.

Afterwards, he told me that to be better prepared for the Intensive Shaolin Kung Fu course, to begin emphasizing the stances with hand forms. The cycle he recommended for me was:
      1. Begin with some repetitions of Lifting Sun and Moon and then going to Two Tigers at Ready.
      2. Horse Riding stance with the fists held at the waist.
      3. Lohan Carrying Water (horse riding stance).
      4. Embracing the Sun (bow arrow stance).
      5. Separating Dragons Technique (false leg stance).
      6. Unicorn Holding Moon (unicorn stance).
      7. White Crane Flaps Wings (single leg stance).
      8. Playing the Lute (stream character stance).
      9. Three Circle stance (goat stance).
      10. Golden Bridge (horse riding stance).
      11. Complete in the usual manner with hopping up, Flowing Breeze Swaying Willows, etc.

I haven't emphasized the entire cycle in quite some time (I'm emphasizing Golden Bridge and One Finger Shooting Zen for my fundamental force training now), but it's the sort of training that let me knock over martial artists from other schools by "just walking into them" with my stance. I got many other benefits from zhan zhuang, but that was definitely the most fun.
      I like making silly videos (including kung fu ones!) every so often on YouTube and taking pictures of weird things on Instagram.

Comment

During February I noticed that I have to slow down with force training. Its just too powerful.

I started to notice appearance of bad thoughts and emotions, my body felt sick and tired. For a week I did just a standing in wuji. It was interesting that it was enough with one simple Lifting the Sky and the bad effects came back.

I simply underestimated the power of Small and Big Universe.

Right now I reduced the time in Golden Bridge to 15 minutes every second day. Other days I do standing OFSZ or Double Scissors/Marvelous Fist.

During Kung Fu I go through the sequences mostly in flow mode, evening session is just about either a very short chi kung or just wuji.

I just forgot that the most important factor is not to gain most, but enjoy the practice. And dont become a practice - slave.

I will continue my preparation for Intensive Kung Fu and try to reach an hour in Golden Bridge. But maybe I just have to adjust the amount of time I need to accomplish my goals. It looks like 5 minutes every month is simply too much for my body to handle at that moment of my practice.

Comment

Dear Karol,

This was the reason I asked why you want to practice Golden Bridge for an hour daily.
          The risk of over-training is great, even when you practice correctly. And as you have taken some powerful courses lately, the chance of heading to over-cleansing is great.

It’s good that you have slowed down your practice.

It’s good to remember that these past years Sifu (your Sigung), has repeatedly advised against over-training and striving to practice at your full potential.

So, instead of practicing an hour stance training every morning, you could practice for 30 minutes, and make your girlfriend a nice breakfast instead.

Best of luck on your practice,

Nessa
          Nessa Kahila
          Shaolin Nordic Finland
          Instructor
          nessa@shaolin-nordic.com

www.shaolin-nordic.com

Comment

With progress in Small and Big Universe I had to really slow down my practice.

The problem was overtraining. In the past I experienced it as a physical pain. Now its a mental thing. While overtraining I can not focus. My self confidence disappear and I become depressed. Anxiety kicks inn, big time.

Right now I practice stance training every second, third day, not more than 10 minutes.

I love Golden Bridge/Stance training but at this point I just cant practice it as long as I would like.

I had to cut down the number of repetitions of sequences as well. Now I practice it only with flow, exploding at maybe 10 procent of my potential.

I had to cut off the coffee totally - it makes my SU wild. Tea works great.

On the other side I started to enjoy more and more the sitting on the chair meditation. Occasionally sitting on the pillow, as kindly taught by Sipak George in Penang last year. Only couple of minutes sessions, 2-3 times a week.

According meditation - I observe the breath. After short time SU kicks inn by itself. Shall I just simply enjoy it or try to keep chi in dan tian?

Thank all of You for good advices. I am really grateful to have You guys.

Comment

Dear Karol,

at this point of training the best and most straight forward advice is:

"Spend time with those you love."

Best regards,
              Anton
              Engage and maintain joyful practice!

May all of you get the best benefits from what you do.

Anton Schmick
              Shaolin Wahnam Germany Nord

shaolinwahnamchina.com
              http://chikunghamburg.wordpress.com
              http://shaolinwahnam-nord.de
              http://kungfu-luebeck.de

Comment

Originally posted by Anton S. View Post
                Dear Karol,

at this point of training the best and most straight forward advice is:

"Spend time with those you love."

Best regards,
                Anton

Comment

Working...
                X