Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Preparation for Intensive Kung Fu 2019

Dear Sisters and Brothers,

My plan for 2018 is to prepare well for Intensive Kung Fu course 2019 (I hope Sigung will be kind enough to teach it in 2019).

For Internal force preparation my plan is to reach an hour in Golden Bridge at the end of 2018.
    I started in January with 20 minutes and will increase it with 5 minutes every month.

For Kung Fu preparation - One sequence a month, 100 repetitions every day.

I started at the beginning of this month, just after Small and Big Universe and Essence of Shaolin.

20 minutes feels really good and I stay most of the time very relaxed. When my arms become tired, I just shift from One Finger Zen to 2 Dragons at ready(from Golden Bridge to Horse Riding Stance).

At the end of stance training, I do either One Finger Shooting Zen (as my Sifu told me, 3 repetitions) or 30 punches for Marvelous Fist.

After stances, which I practice on the morning, I do Art of Flexibility and if I still have some time before the job, some repetitions of sequences (sequence one this month).

Afternoon - 100 repetitions of sequence one. I started with both sides, but got tips from Sigung and continue only with right mode (no need to train both sides).

100 reps takes only couple of minutes, so to get better control of my stances I practice the body movement with use of Old Monk Grinds Rice, as tougth by Sipak Chris.

To spend some more time on the training I learned Lohan Asks the Way and do some repetitions of that set as well.
    I think of learning all the sets from Intensive Kung Fu course during this year.

Rest of the time is spent on Sequence One from Essence of Shaolin.

If I practice some more on the evening, its basically only some light chi kung before sleep.

So long it feels very good. I can notice already a progress in speed, balance and relaxation.

With help of Small Universe, especially the morning session feels just tremendous. It was a while ago when I started my job with THAT amount of energy.

Coud You be that kind and give me any tips?

With Shaolin Salute
    Karol

Hi Karol,

If you can comfortably train at your current rate, you will make incredible progress with this program and be more than ready for an Intensive Shaolin Kung Fu course! Nonetheless, I'll give my opinions for you to take or ignore as you please.

You are right to emphasize the 16 sequences over the application sets. The sets are of course very good, but in my opinion, the sequences are more important. The exception is the Lohan Asks the Way set. In my opinion, this is an important foundational set to practice with benefits not found in the 16 sequences. (It is important to be able to do the 8 basic hand patterns well on both sides.)

You will get excellent results doing one sequence 100 times a day for a month, but as an alternative, you might consider an approach where you learn all 16 of them much faster and spend the extra time deepening them all. This way, you not only learn each sequence well, you learn how to switch from sequence to sequence well, which will be very useful for when you go deeper into the sparring methodology. This is how I would do it:

Week 1 - Learn Sequence 1 and practice 30 times a day.

Week 2 - Learn Sequence 2 and practice 30 times a day. Practice Sequence 1 10 times a day.

Week 3 - Learn Sequence 3 and practice 30 times a day. Practice Sequence 1 and Sequence 2 10 times a day each.

Week 4 - Learn Sequence 4 and practice 30 times a day. Practice Sequences 1, 2, and 3 10 times a day each.

Week 5-6 - Practice Sequences 1-4 10 times a day each. Pick one each day to "focus" on and practice 30 times a day. Or practice Sequences 1-4 self-choice such that you do each sequence several times.

Repeat the procedure for each set of four sequences (5-8, 9-12, 13-16), continuing to practice the ones you already know while adding new ones. For self-choice practice, it's useful to do self-choice within a group as well as for all of them. In other words, while you focus on sequence 10, you also spend some time practicing sequences 1-4 self-choice, 5-8 self-choice, and/or 1-8 self-choice, in addition to practicing sequence 9.

Your rate of learning will naturally influence your pace. So if you start to get confused, you spend more time solidifying the sequences you've done before moving onto the next sequence. Even so, I expect you will have all 16 down reasonably well in far less than 16 months. Once you have all 16, you can do things like do all 16 as a "warm up" and then pick a couple to focus on that session.

I have specified 30 and 10 repetitions, but I don't mean to talk you out of doing 100 repetitions if you enjoy doing 100. The important thing to focus on is the number of repetitions that make you feel like you are deepening the sequence at a satisfactory rate and the number of repetitions that make you feel like you are retaining a sequence well, not 30 and 10. You determine those numbers for yourself.

It's good you are practicing Old Monk Grinds Rice as the skills and body movement involved are useful throughout Shaolin Kung Fu. Additionally, you might consider doing some focused practice on single patterns outside of the sequences. For instance, Art of 100 Kicks is a much more cost-effective way to improve your kicks than only practicing sequences 9-12. As the pattern starts to feel comfortable, gradually change your emphasis from doing it with good form to applying it as a one-step application. Then when you practice the relevant sequence, it will come alive more.

I hope that's useful.
    Chris Didyk
    Shaolin Wahnam USA

Thank You.

Comment

Dear Sipak,

Thank You so much for the advices. The Idea of 30x10 is brilliant, I was actually thinking what to do to dont miss the first ones while practicing the last ones. My idea was to do a repetition once in a while, but now I have a specificated plan!

Thank You one more time, I will follow Your advices.

Thaks for helping me a lot during Essence of Shaolin. Without You and Christina I will be lost at the day 1. Really hope to meet again in the future

Comment

Today spent bit over half an hour in Lifting Water stance with 5 minutes of 30 punches at the end.

Felt different than after Golden Bridge. Less consolidated, and more pacefull. At work I was not focused as usually, more letting go attitude. Interesting experience.

Comment

Dear Karol and Chris,

Still having fresh memories of good times shared with you in Penang last December.

Thank you very much for starting this thread, sharing your plans and advices.

I´m preparing for the next Intensive Kung Fu Course held in Penang in March and reading you allowed me to improve my daily learning and training and to add the art of 100 kicks and 30 punches to the basic internal force preparation.

Besides learning the sequences, i´m learning the sets and applying them to improve my form, flow, speed, breathing and stability of movement (focusing in what is needed). As Sifu taught us in detail recently in Finland, in the Glory of Kung Fu Course, this allows us to train in a smart way having more results in less time.

In regards to the number of repetitions for the sequences i´m following Sifu´s advice of doing them 3 times well. For example, 3 times at a form level, 3 times at a flow level etc. Then i´m linking the same sequence 3, 6, 9 times or more.

After that i would like to have some time to put more attention to the self-choice / end-point continuation / mid-point continuation and end-point addition modes. If you have any advice/experience to share related to them it would be awesome.

Best regards,

Ángel

Comment

Dear Angel,

Its great to hear from You. I am happy to know that this thread helps You with preparation to the course

Today was the last day of 20 minutes in Golden Bridge. Tomorrow starts 25. I tried couple of times to sit 25, just to confirm that I can do it while being relaxed. From tomorrow its on.

Some observations - I am more stabile, my punches are stronger and Single Tiger faster (gets the nice cutting air sound effortlessly). I have noticed that chi flows way stronger in One Finger Shooting Zen. Before I could feel it best while standing upright, not so much in Horse Riding Stance. Now Horse Stance is more relaxed and OFSZ is just crazy strong! Not sure if Small Universe has sth to do with it.

Comment

First day of 25 minutes. Feels good, relaxed and balanced. No pain at all, no struggle. I am not sure if I shall try for a longer period of time, just to try my limits. Sigung wrote that one should sit as long as one comfortable can, and then hold for some time. I did not reach my limits yet, but not sure if trying to go for a record will end up with overtraining.

From now on I follow Sipaks Chris advice. One week for a sequence. Sequence two practiced today felt really good and balanced, could clearly feel chi moving inside the body.

I work with footwork, moving forward with same leg on the front and with changing the legs - left, right bow arrow. Struggle a bit with the last one and would be happy to get any advice - how to do it fast? If I do a step forward and rotate the hips, then I have to go back to loosen the knee, change feet position and make another step. I cant grasp the secret. It feels like if I want to go fast forward, I have to land with my feets straight, not 45 degrees.

Angel - would You be that kind and share with us Your precious notes?

Comment

Originally posted by Karol View Post
                I work with footwork, moving forward with same leg on the front and with changing the legs - left, right bow arrow. Struggle a bit with the last one and would be happy to get any advice - how to do it fast?

the secret is 10.000 repetitions
                Last edited by Anton S.; 5 February 2018, 09:53 PM.
                Engage and maintain joyful practice!

May all of you get the best benefits from what you do.

Anton Schmick
                Shaolin Wahnam Germany Nord

shaolinwahnamchina.com
                http://chikunghamburg.wordpress.com
                http://shaolinwahnam-nord.de
                http://kungfu-luebeck.de

Comment

I did not reach my limits yet, but not sure if trying to go for a record will end up with overtraining.
                  You can add time to your practice gradually, like 5 seconds per day. Trying to go for a record will end up with overtraining or at least with some unnecessary imbalance for you.

Angel - would You be that kind and share with us Your precious notes?
                  What notes do you mean Karol?

Comment

Dear Karol,

I'd like to ask: what's the reason you want to practice golden Bridge for an hour daily?
                    Were you adviced to do so?

Good luck with your preparations!

I once asked Sifu how to practice when you have many sets / sequences to learn at once (and then keep practicing after the course). The advice was to learn all the sets /sequences in a relatively short time and then rotate all the sets or sequences daily. This way you can first focus on picture perfect form. Then advance to flow, then force and speed. This way you don't neglect any sequences (resulting in knowing the first ones really well and the last ones poorly), but you get to practice all of them once. And advance in them all at the same time.

As there are only 16 combat sequences, it's easy to learn them quite fast.

Best wishes,

Nessa
                    Nessa Kahila
                    Shaolin Nordic Finland
                    Instructor
                    nessa@shaolin-nordic.com

www.shaolin-nordic.com

Comment

Thank You for the advices Sije (Sipak?).

The Idea of an hour in Golden Bridge came to my mind after conversatons with my Sifu. I was usually practicing for about 15-20 minutes, my Sifu told me that about 40 minutes it starts to be good. I really enjoy this practice and would like to build up a resonable amount of energy for kung fu. Considering monks in the past used about 2 hours a day, I think one hour will be more than enough of what I need.

There is other side - having a plan for the whole year helps me to continue the practice with same focus. The route is known, now I just have to follow and practice everyday.

Honestly, Small Universe makes it quite easy. I really did not expect that it will give me so much energy. During the last month I did not struggle even once, and every time had the feeling that I could stay for some more time in the stance.

But most important - I love Golden Bridge. One Finger Shooting Zen, or 30 Punches at the end of the practice feels just amazing!

This practice will help me not only with Kung Fu. Since I start 4 am, everyday I get a really nice days at work. never sleepy, never tired. Most of the time well focused. I also hope that if I will be lucky enough to attend Sigungs healing course in the future, this energy will be useful for healing.

Dear Angel - I think I mistook you for someone else. Are You Sipak Angel from Madrit?

Comment

Dear Karol, yes, i´m Ángel from Madrid.

Comment

Hello Karol!

It was wonderful meeting and training with you during the Essence course in December. You are an excellent training partner.

Thank you for sharing your training regiment with us. I enjoyed the simplicity of your first plan, and then I enjoyed the experience-earned efficiency of my compatriot Chris' revised plan. If you follow it (and I have no doubt that you will), then you will be about as prepared as anyone can be for the Intensive Shaolin Kungfu Course. I'm excited on your behalf! And perhaps I'll see you there...

Also, I'm inspired by your Golden Bridge objective! I also love Golden Bridge. There's just something magical about it. It has always been my favorite force training method, from the very beginning. So thank you for the inspiration! I've made some slight adjustments to my training program.

I'm curious, are you also practicing the full Zhan Zhuang cycle? I recommend it, if you aren't. I feel that many of us pass over it too quickly for the bliss of OFSZ, Golden Bridge, or whatever our favorite method may be. I certainly did in the beginning. I have found the benefits of re-focusing on it to be tremendous, specifically in being fluid and forceful in my stances, and in mental discipline.

Ah, and your objective reminded me of this! http://shaolin.org/discussion-2/davy.html
                          Perhaps you've already read it. Enjoy if you haven't!

And Hi Angel! Thanks again for attending both Essence Courses!!! You're a rock star.

Comment

Hi Michael,

It was nice to meet you last december in Penang. We really had a great time there!

Thanks for sharing some of your learning and teaching experiences over meals, it was very interesting for me to hear them.

May be the next time we meet you could tell me how the "Essence of Shaolin" course has changed your teaching and practice.

All the best,

Ángel

Comment

Hi Sipak !

It was a pleasure to meet You in Penang, thank You for Your kind words.
                              I was trying to spot You in Langkawi after stay in Penang, but it seems like You were hiding somewhere in the jungle

Could You explain what is the full Zhan Zhuang cycle?

Comment

Working...
                              X