Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Splendour in the Grass - A Short Story by Our Grandmaster

Dear Shaolin Wahnam Family,

I want to thank Sifu for sharing this wonderful story with all of us. For the ones who haven't read it yet, the link below will take you to the Overview:

The reason why I create this post is because the Poem that Sifu shares at the first part of the story (click here to read) is very special and dear to me. It is dear to me because it is one of my father's most favourite poems. He often recites it to me in Spanish and I didn't even know who the author was until now.

When my grandfather passed away in the year 2000, my father reminded me of this poem. In the 3rd anniversary of my grandfather's passing, my father contacted the local newspaper in order to place a dedicatory in his memory.

I include below a picture with the newspaper's dedicatory that includes this beautiful poem translated into Spanish:

In Memory of My Grandfather Santiago.jpg

My grandfather became a successful entrepreneur after emigrating outside Spain. He was indeed very poor when he was a child and he had to struggle to survive as he lived during the Spanish Civil War (1936-1939).

This picture was taken when he won an award granted by the "Chamber of Commerce" that recognized a lifetime of hard work and contributions as an entrepreneur in my hometown Salamanca.

A journalist interviewed him that day and asked him: "You have been very lucky in business. Can you share with us your secret?" My grandfather answered her: "My luck starts everyday at 7 am in the morning."

I still remember these wise words. My grandfather made his own luck. In fact, he was 85 years when he passed away and he went to the office everyday until 3 months before his passing.

It is very surprising to me how things are connected and, when one is ready, those seeds planted long ago awake and flourish. This poem was very special then but after reading Sifu's story it became even more special and dear to me.

Here is a video with the poem recited on the movie "Splendor in the Grass":

I actually haven't seen the movie but I found it online and will watch it soon.

I would like to thank Sifu again for sharing always so much with all of us.

With Love, Care and Shaolin Salute,

Santi
    Last edited by sancrica; 7 January 2018, 10:34 AM.
Working...
X