Beginner Wing Chun Books

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beginner Wing Chun Books

Hello everyone. Me and my brother went to a demonstration by a school in London last month and he seemed very interested in learning more which really, really excites me. I would like to get him a couple books or DVDs for Christmas that would go into the way of life and the art of Wing Chun. I know that he is prone to getting really into something and then dropping it so this should be a good way to gauge his interest before we pursue a school for him. Can anyone recommend some good books that I could get him, then I could either order them online or try and find them in a library around us. I have found some generic Kung Fu books at the library across from us but they seem to be more of the McDojo style, which I am really not wanting to support. Thanks for any advice/tips/recommendations that you all have.

Originally posted by NoPainNoGain View Post
    Hello everyone. Me and my brother went to a demonstration by a school in London last month and he seemed very interested in learning more which really, really excites me. I would like to get him a couple books or DVDs for Christmas that would go into the way of life and the art of Wing Chun. I know that he is prone to getting really into something and then dropping it so this should be a good way to gauge his interest before we pursue a school for him. Can anyone recommend some good books that I could get him, then I could either order them online or try and find them in a library around us. I have found some generic Kung Fu books at the library across from us but they seem to be more of the McDojo style, which I am really not wanting to support. Thanks for any advice/tips/recommendations that you all have.

I have reached out to some libraries a bit further out and then have done the best they could to help me, which included sending me a list of all the books that they and their partner branches have involving Wing Chun, Kung Fu and even some Taekwondo books so that I have a nice list to go from. I am going to take a look at some of the more vintage book stores around and see if they have any of the books on these lists as some of them are quite older and haven't even been in the libraries for years; I don't know why they are still in the system but they are and that is very lucky for me!

Comment

Dear NoPainNoGain,

I must confess, that I can´t recommend a particular Wing Chun book or DVD.
      Just as swimming or dancing, it is a practical art that you can hardly learn from either DVD, book or the internet.

I am sure, offering your brother a private lesson with a good master is be much more worth than offering him a book or DVD.

Do I know a good master in your area? Yes, it is Sifu Tim Franklin.

Whether he offers private classes for beginners or not, is another question that you may ask him.

With best regards,
      Anton.
      Engage and maintain joyful practice!

May all of you get the best benefits from what you do.

Anton Schmick
      Shaolin Wahnam Germany Nord

shaolinwahnamchina.com
      http://chikunghamburg.wordpress.com
      http://shaolinwahnam-nord.de
      http://kungfu-luebeck.de

Comment

Working...
      X