10 questions on Small and Big Universe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dear Family,

Thank You for all the wonderful questions.

Its a very special Question and Answer. We still have 3 days left.

Its a one in a lifetime opportunity so dont hesitate to send your questions.

After the 17 November my Sifu together with Sipak Andrew will choose the 10 questions and present them to Sigung.

With kind regards
    Karol
    Last edited by Karol; 14 November 2017, 03:15 PM.

Comment

Dear Sigung,

I have read that the old ways take much longer but are more powerful which led to the astonishing martial and internal levels of the past masters. Is this still applicable for those willing to take the slow path? Better yet can we still reach the level of martial and internal attainment of the past masters with dedication and perseverance using our new developed ways?

With Gratitude,
      David
      Shaolin Wahnam USA

"Every morning you are born again. What you do today is the most important thing".

Comment

Dear Sigung,

Can the small universe and big universe be activated spontaneously without previous chi kung practice, if a person's spiritual attainment is "advanced" enough? For example, can a living saint, who has never done chi kung or other energetic specific practices but is quite spiritually developed, have the small and/or big universe activated, or is it necessary to practice an energy specific art?

With Gratitude,
        Andrew R
        Love, and do what you will.

- St. Augustine

Comment

To inspire You all to ask the question here is an article wrote by Sigung for almost 10 years ago.

Thank You Sigung for giving us so amazing opportunity.

Comment

Dear Family,

I am happy to announce that 10 questions have been chosen (thanks to my Sifu and Sipak Andrew) and presented to Sigung.

To make it more interesting, here is the first answer!

Thank You Sigung for Your generosity and sharing with us secrets about very advanced arts.

Question 1

We know that the Small Universe (or microcosmic circulation) is a very high level art.

How is it that so many schools in the world offer this as the first exercise for beginners?

Could Sifu compare the benefits of Small Universe as practiced in our school with the "same" exercise as practiced by beginners in other schools?

If all things were equal, at what point in a student's training (or development) would Sifu recommend learning and practicing Small Universe and Big Universe?

Sifu Andrew Barnett

Answer

The Small Universe, or the Micro-Cosmic Circulation as it is called in some schools, is a very high-level art. Practitioners would take about 10 years to attain it.

Some people even called the Small Universe “the chi kung.” It is not correct as we all know there are many other types of chi kung, but it shows the importance these people place on the Small Universe.

Why are the Small Universe and also the Big Universe so important? There is a chi kung saying that “Those who have attained the Small Universe will overcome all diseases; those who have attained the Big Universe will live beyond a hundred years.”

Those who practiced kungfu valued the Small Universe very highly. Besides good health, vitality and longevity, the Small Universe gave kungfu practitioners tremendous internal force, and they were also very fast and would not be tired. Only practitioners at a master’s level would have the opportunity to learn the Small Universe. Often they would “bi guan”, which means “seclude themselves in an inaccessible place, and only come out of the inaccessible place after they have accomplished the attainment of the art.” They would hold a grand celebration on their accomplishment.

We in Shaolin Wahnam are elite. We even upgrade the chi kung saying to a higher level. “Those who have attained the Small Universe will live beyond a hundred years, and those who have attained the Big Universe will never die.” Irrespective of whether they practice kungfu, they have tremendous internal force, are very fast and never become tired. They can use their tremendous internal force to enrich their lives.

We mean it when we say those who have attained the Big Universe will never die. Actually everybody never dies. Their physical bodies may discompose, but their spirit, or soul, never. When they have attained the Big Universe, they will have confirmation of this fact many times. Life will also be different. Every day will be a joy.

Attaining the Small Universe means that energy flows round the Ren Meridian and the Du Meridian continuously. Attaining the Big Universe means that energy of the practitioner merges with the Cosmos.

The Ren Meridian and the Du Meridian, also called the Conceptual Meridian and the Governing Meridian, are seas of energy of a person. When the energy in the Ren Meridian and the Du Meridian is flowing continuously, it means that energy is flowing very well in the whole person. Not only the flow is continuous, the volume also increases tremendously. The practitioner will have radiant health, a lot of vitality, and his energy will flow for a very long time, which means he has longevity.

Many people who attended previous Small and Big Universe courses have reported to me that they have become noticeably lucky. It is no surprise. They have very good “hou yun qi”, or very good circulation of energy, which means they are very lucky.

(Part 2 follows)

Comment

Here comes the second part of answer to question nr 1

(Continued from Part 1)

Because chi kung is so ridiculously debased today, some schools teach the Small Universe to even beginners! Actually it does not matter what they teach because they teach only the techniques, without the skills to generate a continuous energy flow along the Ren Meridian and the Du Meridian.

When I was at Attilio’s hotel in Finale Ligure in Italy about 20 years ago, an inner-chamber disciple of a world-known master described to me how he performed his Small Universe, or Micro-Cosmic Flow as he called it. He visualized energy at his various dan tian, or energy fields. This could be dangerous. It causes stagnation of energy at his energy fields. This person was visibly very sick. He could hardly speak.

This person was an exception. He told me that he woke up at about 5.00 am every morning and practiced his chi kung until about 9.00 am. Then he would attend to his clinic, using chi to heal others!

But others who were supposed to have attained the Micro-Cosmic Circulation did not show much benefit. They only learned techniques, but did not accomplish the benefits their art was meant to give.

When I taught in Spain in my early years of chi kung teaching, some students asked me whether they could straight-away attend my advanced courses as they had learned chi kung before, including the Micro-Cosmic Circulation. But I insisted that they must start from the beginning, attending my Generating Energy Flow course. Most of them later reported to me that they were very happy to follow my advice. They never expected that chi kung was like what we practice, i.e. energy exercise. They only practiced techniques as physical exercise.

I would recommend that only when a practitioner has sufficient chi in his dan tian should he commence learning and practicing the Small Universe. He must also be able to generate an energy flow, a fundamental skill that most other chi kung practitioners, including “masters”, may not know. Only when the practitioner has attained the Small Universe, should he attempt the Big Universe.

Those who attained the Small Universe in the past took about 10 years. I took 3 years, which was remarkable, and justified my reputation as being a kungfu genius. Looking back, I would attribute my speed in attaining the Small Universe to my sifu, Sifu Ho Fatt Nam, introducing the “Forceful Small Universe” into my training which helped me tremendously to bring my chi from the “hui yin” energy point to my “bai hui” energy point.

It is simply ridiculous that our Small Universe Course takes only 3 days, with the Big Universe added in! Actually it is not just 3 days for the Small and Big Universe Course. Those who will attend the course must have sufficient chi in their dan tian. The 3 days are meant to apply suitable techniques to induce a continuous energy flow along the Ren Meridian and the Du Meridian, and then to expand the energy into the Cosmos.

We are able to apply these suitable techniques to accomplish the skills and benefits of the Small Universe and the Big Universe because of some incredible advantages that we have, that other schools lack. We differentiate between skills and techniques, whereas most other schools don’t. We are able to generate an energy flow at will, whereas most other practitioners cannot. Most importantly, I shall transmit the skills to the participants, whereas other practitioners have to practice the techniques for months or years to acquire the skills.

<End>

Comment

Thank you, Sifu, for these wonderful insights. Thank you, Karol, for initiating and coordinating this Q&A series.
                Sifu Andrew Barnett
                Shaolin Wahnam Switzerland - www.shaolin-wahnam.ch

Flowing Health GmbH www.flowing-health.ch (Facebook: www.facebook.com/sifuandrew)
                Healing Sessions with Sifu Andrew Barnett - in Switzerland and internationally
                Heilbehandlungen mit Sifu Andrew Barnett - in der Schweiz und International

Comment

Answer to question nr 2.

Thank You Sigung for Your generosity.

Question 2

Every school in which I have trained internal arts has remarked on the importance of the Small Universe, relegating it to either the very beginning of training or reserving it for advanced, indoor disciples. Naturally, I'm quite curious about it!

Sifu mentioned in several of his books that the Small Universe is the foundation for many advanced arts, including Golden Bell and Cosmos Palm, especially as trained by Shaolin disciples in the past using orthodox methods. What is it about the Small Universe that made it a requirement for past practitioners to attain advanced force such as Golden Bell and Cosmos Palm?

On a similar note, what it is about the way we train in Shaolin Wahnam today that enables people who do not possess the true breakthrough of the Small Universe to attain Golden Bell, Cosmos Palm, and other advanced or specialized internal force? Does the order in which one learns advanced arts, e.g. Small Universe before Cosmos Palm, or Cosmos Palm before Small Universe, change the final results obtained by the practitioner?

Frederick Chu

Answer

The Small Universe, in which energy in the Ren Meridian and the Du Meridian flows continuously, is a very important art. That is why you find its importance mentioned in every internal school you have practiced in.

We do not mean to be presumptuous or arrogant, but even internal schools that do not really have internal force in their training, mention the importance of the Small Universe, like many Taijiquan, Baguazhang and Xingyiquan schools today. These schools are supposed to teach internal arts, but there is nothing internal in their training. They merely teach external techniques. But they still mention the importance of the Small Universe, often not knowing why. They have heard about the importance of the Small Universe from past masters.

Why is the Small Universe so important to internal arts? It is so important because it contributes greatly to the attainment of internal arts. We shall have a clearer idea if we use some quantification. Suppose all other things were equal, and two practitioners, A and B, start to acquire an internal art. The only difference is that A has the Small Universe, and B hasn’t. B will take at least 3 times longer to attain what A does.

A can attain the effects of his internal art faster because he has the Small Universe. The Ren Meridian and the Du Meridian are regarded as the seas of energy. When energy is flowing well in the two meridians, it is also flowing well in the whole body. Not only the flow is smooth, the flow will also become larger.

Internal arts are a function of energy flow. The smoother and larger the energy flow is, the better will be the result of the internal arts.

Not many people know these facts, including real masters. The masters may have the Small Universe, or they may be expert in their internal arts, but they may still not know these facts. They become masters due to their long years of dedication.

This is a main reason why masters have taken a long time to become masters, and why there are so few masters. Not anyone who has practiced a long time will become a master, though today we may refer to one as a “master” out of respect. It is also because of ignorance of the real meaning of the master’s art.

Not many people will practice an art for a long time. Out of those who have practiced the art for a long time, only a very small minority will have practiced in such a way that they develop the necessary skills, usually unknowingly, to become masters.

(Part 2 follows)
                  Last edited by Anton S.; 26 November 2017, 05:07 PM. Reason: quotation added :)

Comment

Small and Big Universe -- Question 2 Part 2

(Continued form Part 1)

Our students in Shaolin Wahnam are very lucky. Not only they know the philosophy of the art they practice, they have the necessary skills transmitted to them.

Hence, internal arts schools, as well as some schools that do not teach internal arts, relegate the Small Universe at the very beginning of training, or reserve it for advanced, indoor disciples. Most schools reserve the Small Universe to advanced, indoor disciples.

Worse, most schools teach only the outward techniques of the Small Universe without its essence and benefits. Those schools that teach the Small Universe at the beginning do not know how advanced and powerful the Small Universe is.

When I mentioned that the Small Universe was the foundation of advanced arts like Golden Bell and Cosmos Palm, I meant that it contributed greatly to the attainment of the advanced arts. I did not mean that the Small Universe was a necessary condition for attaining the advanced arts. A practitioner, today or in the past, can or could attain any of the advanced arts without having the Small Universe.

The main reasons why having the Small Universe contributes greatly to the attainment of advanced arts are a lot of energy and the energy is flowing. For most people the Ren Meridian and the Du Meridian are blocked at many places. When the two meridians are full of energy, it means he has a lot of energy.

The energy in the two meridians must also be constantly flowing.

In any advanced internal art, the practitioner must have a lot of energy, and the energy must be flowing. Even in an advanced art where energy is consolidated, like in Iron Wire, the energy must be flowing first. The practitioner consolidates his flowing energy, usually without knowing the terms and without knowing what he is doing, except in Shaolin Wahnam. After using the consolidated force, the practitioner must let his energy flow, otherwise it will become big muscles which are detrimental to health.

In Shaolin Wahnam even if students do not have a real breakthrough of the Small Universe, they understand kungfu philosophy. Masters refer to the breakthrough of the Small Universe as “real” and “false”. A real breakthrough is when energy is flowing continuously in the Ren Meridian and the Du Meridian. A “false” breakthrough is when only a bubble of energy is flowing in the two meridians. The two meridians may remain “open” for a short while, then “close” again.

When a Shaolin Wahnam student trains an advanced art, he will generate an energy flow, and consolidate it if necessary. Usually the philosophy is explained to him. If he has the Small Universe, he will accomplish the attainment faster and more powerfully. If he does not have the Small Universe, he will still accomplish the attainment, but slower and less powerfully.

Students of other schools will not know the philosophy. They will also not know what they are doing. They just practice the techniques. Hence, they take a much longer time. By practicing the techniques faithfully, a small percentage may eventually acquire the skills to accomplish the advanced art, but they will not know the philosophy behind what they have been doing.

The order of learning the Small Universe and other advanced arts is important. Presuming all other things being equal, if a practitioner learns the Small Universe first than another advanced art, like Cosmos Palm, he will attain the advanced art faster and more powerfully. If a practitioner does not have the Small Universe, but learns an advanced art, he will attain the advanced art slower and less powerfully. Later if this practitioner learns the Small Universe, his attainment will also be slower and less powerful.

<End>
                    Last edited by Anton S.; 26 November 2017, 05:09 PM. Reason: quotation added :)

Comment

I am happy to present the answer to question nr 3...

Question 3

I have read that the old ways take much longer but are more powerful which led to the astonishing martial and internal levels of the past masters. Is this still applicable for those willing to take the slow path? Better yet can we still reach the level of martial and internal attainment of the past masters with dedication and perseverance using our new developed ways?

David Langford

Answer

It is true that the old ways to develop the Small Universe and the Big Universe took a much longer time, and the attainment was more powerful which led to astonishing martial and internal levels of past masters.

It would take about 10 years to attain the Small Universe, and another 10 years to attain the Big Universe. Those who had the opportunity to train the Small Universe or the Big Universe were already masters. Attaining the Small Universe and the Big Universe would make them great masters.

Great master who had attained the Small Universe would have great internal force, like being able to sustain weapon attacks without injury, and damaging opponents from some distance without physical contact. Great masters who had attained the Big Universe would become immortals, or have merged with the Supreme Reality.

Their attainment would be incredible. Most people today may not believe what they could do.

Present day attainments of the Small Universe and the Big Universe can be classified into two groups. One group, which forms the great majority, is that practitioners of the Small Universe and the Big Universe only perform techniques, sometimes wrong techniques, without the results. The other group, which forms the elite, very small minority occurs in our school, Shaolin Wahnam. Practitioners of this second elite group have the results of the Small Universe and the Big Universe, but the results are nothing when compared to results in the past.

Of course, it is understandable that most people will not believe in what we say. Some may call us big liars and may become indignant. As I have mention often, that is their problem. In this case, these other people will not have the opportunity to test what we say is true because the Small and Big Universe Course is by invitation only.

How do we know that what we say is true? Those who successfully complete the Small and Big Universe Course will have the wonderful benefits of what the Small Universe and the Big Universe will give.

Successfully completing the course is the norm. As a conservative estimate, at least 60% of the participants will complete the course successfully. To be more exact, at least 80% will be successful. What about the 20% who are not successful? Usually they do not follow instructions, though they may honestly think they do. For example, they are asked not to worry, but they worry about whether they are performing the techniques correctly.

(Part 2 follows)
                      Last edited by Anton S.; 26 November 2017, 05:09 PM. Reason: quotation added :)

Comment

(Continued form Pat 1)

How do we know we have attained the Small Universe and the Big Universe? It is from direct experience. Those who do not have the experience will not know, even when the explanation is clear and simple.

To attain the Small Universe is to have chi, or energy, continuously flowing in the Ren Meridian and the Du Meridian. Many practitioners may not clearly feel chi flowing throughout the Ren Meridian and the Du Meridian, but if they can feel chi flowing along parts of the meridians, or if they can feel vibrations or tingling sensations at their lips and at their anus, they may reasonably conclude they are successful in attaining the Small Universe.

To attain the Big Universe is to have the personal chi of a practitioner merging with the universal chi of the Cosmos or Cosmic Reality. If a practitioner feels that he (or she) is nowhere and everywhere, it is a good indication that he has attained the Big Universe.

Another effective way to confirm whether one has attained the Small Universe and the Big Universe is to examine whether he (or she) has obtained the benefits that the Small Universe and the Big Universe will give.

A chi kung saying mentions that “Attaining the Small Universe will overcome hundreds of diseases, and attaining the Big Universe will enable a practitioner to live beyond a hundred years”. We in Shaolin Wahnam have upgraded the saying to “Attaining the Small Universe will enable a practitioner to live beyond a hundred years, and attaining the Big Universe will enable that he (or she) will never die.”

If a person suffers from an illness, especially a so-called incurable disease, by attaining the Small Universe he will overcome the illness. Please remember that it takes time to overcome an illness. If it overcomes the illness too fast, it may not give other organs enough time to make adjustment.

If a person is already healthy, he will never be sick. He will also have noticeable improvement of his vitality. He will have longevity when he grows old.

Although it is not specifically mentioned in chi kung classics, attaining the Small Universe will make us very lucky, as reported by many practitioners who have attended a Small and Big Universe Course. “Hou yun qi” or “good circulation of energy” which actually means good luck, will be particularly powerful when one has attained the Small Universe.

Attaining the Big Universe is life-changing. He will feel free and happy, not just during his practice but all the time. With sufficient confirmation, he will realize that his spirit will never die. He will overcome the most dreadful fear of humanity, i.e. the fear of death.

While these benefits of the Small Universe and the Big Universe are wonderful, they are still far from those of past masters. The main reason is time.

Past master spent a much longer time to attain the Small Universe and the Big Universe, and a much longer time to continue practicing these arts. Our practitioners in Shaolin Wahnam spend a much shorter time.

If a Shaolin Wahnam practitioner is willing to spend the same amount of time as past masters, not only he will be able to reach the levels of martial and internal attainment of past masters, but also he will surpass them. If he takes a “slow path”, like what past masters did, he is still better because he has more information.

We live in different times with different needs and aspirations. Past masters did not have television, travel to places they like, or take delicious food of other countries. If past masters have a lot of knowledge, they would be regarded as sages. We now can become “sages” by pressing some buttons of the internet, but we need to differentiate rubbish from good information. More immediately, we need to guard against over-training.

<End>
                        With Shaolin Salute
                        Karol

Comment

Thank You Sigung for sharing with us so many secrets.

Question 4

How can the Small Universe enhance our Kung Fu? For example, how can it enhance our combat efficiency?

What is the difference between Bone Marrow Cleansing at the Meridian Level and the Big Universe?

Santi

Answer

Attaining the Small Universe enhances kungfu in many ways. What are the many ways that kungfu is useful?

We may, for convenience, classify the many ways kungfu is useful into the following categories:

1. For performance.
                          2. For combat.
                          3. For health, vitality and longevity.
                          4. For peak performance in daily life.
                          5. For being peaceful and happy.
                          6. For expanding into the Cosmos.

Attaining the Small Universe enhances all these categories. We shall presume all other things were equal, and compare two persons, A and B, in each of the category, with A having attained the Small Universe and B hasn’t.

Kungfu in its modern form as wushu is now mainly for performance. A who has attained the Small Universe will certainly perform better than B who hasn’t attained the Small Universe. A has more energy, more stamina and more force in his performance.

When A performs kungfu instead of wushu, he will be better than B. Even when A is not involved in wushu or kungfu performance, he will be better in any performance, including performing his daily work, because he has more energy, more stamina and is more forceful.

A will be better than A in combat, which was actually the reason why anyone practiced kungfu in the past. A is better because he has more energy, more stamina and is more forceful as a result of having attained the Small Universe.

Today, we live law-abiding societies where combat seldom happens. People practice kungfu or other martial arts as hobbies. Most of these people merely exchange blows or fight like children in free sparring, without using their kungfu or other martial art technques. When a Karate or Taekwondo practitioner is engaged in free sparring, he also exchanges blows without using the Karate or Taekwondo techniques he has practiced.

Still, if A and B exchange blows, A will be better than B. A has more energy, more stamina and is more forceful. His blows will hurt an opponent more seriously, he can last longer, and be able to take blows better.

(Part 2 follows)

Comment

(Continued from Part 1)

Surprisingly, not many people realize that the purpose of practicing kungfu today is to have good health, vitality and longevity, even though the basic function of kungfu is combat. Even if they realize the purpose, their practice is not conducive to good health, vitality and longevity, particularly when they copy other martial arts in training and free sparring. Our school is one of the very few that transfers what we learn in kungfu training for health, vitality and longevity.

Unlike in enriching our daily life where we may need to know the philosophy and techniques in the transfer, the contribution of our kungfu training to our health, vitality and longevity is intrinsic. In other words, we do not have to do anything extra to be better in good health, vitality and longevity. Because of the way we train our kungfu, we will naturally be better in health, vitality and longevity.

As an analogy, when a person is healthy, he will be able to do anything better than when he is sick. The better performance is intrinsic. He does not have to do anything extra to have better performance.

When we compare A and B, i.e. a person who has attained the Small Universe with another person who has not, A will have better health, better vitality and better longevity than B. The betterment in good health, vitality and longevity is intrinsic.

A will attain better peak performance than B in daily life. Again the better peak performance is intrinsic. For example, if B can produce his best result in an hour, A can produce the same best result in less than an hour. If B can earn 10,0000 euros in one month, which is the most he can earn in the month, A can earn more than 10,000 euros in one month.

In being peaceful and happy, A will be better than B, because A has attained the Small Universe and B hasn’t. Before attaining the Small Universe was A also peaceful and happy? Is there a difference in A after he has attained the Small Universe? Yes, there is a difference. After attaining the Small Universe, A will be more peaceful and happier than before.

Because A has attained the Small Universe and B hasn’t, A will be able to expand into the Cosmos easier and faster than B.

An excellent way to expand into the Cosmos is to have attained the Big Universe. To attain the Big Universe, it is easier and faster if the practitioner already has attained the Small Universe.

Internal force and combat efficiency are the two pillars of kungfu training. A practitioner can develop internal force and attain combat efficiency without attaining the Small Universe. But attaining the Small Universe will enhance both internal force and combat efficiency.

If all other things were equal, but A has attained the Small Universe and B hasn’t, A’s attainment in internal force and in combat application will be better than B’s. The reason is that having attained the Small Universe, A’s energy flow and amount of energy are more than those of B.

(Part 3 follows)
                            Best Regards
                            Karol
                            Last edited by Anton S.; 29 November 2017, 07:00 PM.

Comment

Thank you Sigung for your marvelous answers to our questions.

With gratitude,
                              David
                              Shaolin Wahnam USA

"Every morning you are born again. What you do today is the most important thing".

Comment

Thank you so very much, Sifu! It is great threads like these which make me excited and hopeful to learn wonderful arts some day.
                                I like making silly videos (including kung fu ones!) every so often on YouTube and taking pictures of weird things on Instagram.

Comment

Working...
                                X