Thread: Shaolin Pakua Set

Kevin_B is offline Sifu Kevin Barry - Instructor, Shaolin Wahnam Ireland

Shaolin Pakua Set

Dear Family,

As announced earlier today, Sigung will be teaching the Shaolin Pakua Set in Ireland next February. I am opening this thread to facilitate a discussion on the set and its training in order help us all prepare as best as we can for the course.

Who has started learning it? (or in Sifu Leo's case has learned it?)
    Any thoughts or first impressions?
    Has anyone any idea as to why this set in particular was the source of Sigung's enlightenment in Kung Fu combat application?

Looking forward to a good and lively discussion over the next few months!!

All the best,

Kevin
    Wahnam Tai Chi Chuan and Shaolin Chi Kung classes in Dublin

http://www.taijiquan.ie/

Leo Shaolin is offline Sifu Leonard Lackinger - Instructor, Shaolin Wahnam Austria
    Hi Kevin,

Great news!

The Shaolin Pakua Set is wonderful.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin_B View Post
    Who has started learning it? (or in Sifu Leo's case has learned it?)
    Hmmm... I might have given it a try.

Have fun with the preparation everyone!

Best wishes,

Leo
    Sifu Leonard Lackinger

Shaolin Wahnam Wien

Shaolin Cosmos Chi Kung
    Southern Shaolin Kung Fu
    Wahnam Tai Chi Chuan
    Shaolin Wahnam Wien on facebook
    Shaolin Wahnam Wien on google+

I have no plans to learn this set or attend the course, but even at the academic/intellectual level, this a rather fascinating set. In addition to being, as Sifu has often mentioned, the key to his understanding of all manner of martial arts combat applications, the structure, techniques, and strategies look as though they are a very natural out-growth from other sets in Sigung Ho's lineage, especially Cross Road at Four Gates, Big Bell Lohan, and Great Majestic Set.

Because I like doing this sort of thing for some reason (it's a fun mental exercise), and because some people I know are very keen to learn the set, I decided to draft a write-up collecting some useful links for the set as well as a brief pattern-by-pattern sequence of the set, more of a reminder and reference to videos than a complete "how-to." Hopefully it helps with people preparing for the course and possibly for some discussion regarding the set, its skills, and so forth.
    I like making silly videos (including kung fu ones!) every so often on YouTube and taking pictures of weird things on Instagram.

Dear Shaolin Wahnam Family,

Wonderful thread. Another great opportunity for learning! :-)

Since the first time I saw the Shaolin Pakua Set in a video, one pattern in particular has puzzled me: "68 - Gourd Rolling on Ground".

pakua68.jpg

Would anyone know why this Set includes such pattern? What is the practical application of this particular pattern? What is the advantage of using this pattern? In which cases would this pattern become an advantage?

I have been looking for more information about the Set in Sifu's Website but I could not find much.

It was very interesting to read Sifu's message explaining why this Set enlightened his Kung Fu Application:

The Pakua Set which I learned from my sifu, Sifu Ho Fatt Nam,was the set that opened my understanding of kungfu application. Before the set, I knew little of how to apply kungfu techniques for combat. After the set, my understanding of kungfu application was enlightened. Now I could look at any kungfu pattern, including those I haven't seen before, and tell its application
    I was wondering why was that so. Why with this Set and not other?

Does anyone know the history and background of this Set? How old is it?

Somewhere, I read that the complete name for this Set is "Shaolin Traveling Dragon Pakua Set". Is this correct? If so, would that mean that Dragon is the main animal/force of this Set?

It also surprised me what Frederick Sidai mentioned: "Sigung Ho Fatt Naam also taught this set to the sultan of his state as a health exercise, saying that training the set slowly and in a meditative state of mind would generate an energy flow that would be excellent for health". What would be the reason Sigung chose this Set and no other for teaching the Sultan? Wouldn't any Set performed slowly fulfill the purpose of generating energy flow and promoting health?

So many questions! Thanks for joining the discussion. Please share your thoughts. If would be wonderful to deepen our understanding of this beautiful Set.

With Love, Care and Shaolin Salute,

Santi

Hey Santi!

In the four gates combo set there is a roll after a tiger tail kick as well. It is used to escape a cannon punch to the groin after they thread your kick.

It is also useful to know how to roll in case you get caught in a shoulder throw and can't counter.

Take care,
    David

Quote Originally Posted by sancrica View Post
    Dear Shaolin Wahnam Family,

Wonderful thread. Another great opportunity for learning! :-)

Since the first time I saw the Shaolin Pakua Set in a video, one pattern in particular has puzzled me: "68 - Gourd Rolling on Ground".

pakua68.jpg

Would anyone know why this Set includes such pattern? What is the practical application of this particular pattern? What is the advantage of using this pattern? In which cases would this pattern become an advantage?

I have been looking for more information about the Set in Sifu's Website but I could not find much.

It was very interesting to read Sifu's message explaining why this Set enlightened his Kung Fu Application:

I was wondering why was that so. Why with this Set and not other?

Does anyone know the history and background of this Set? How old is it?

Somewhere, I read that the complete name for this Set is "Shaolin Traveling Dragon Pakua Set". Is this correct? If so, would that mean that Dragon is the main animal/force of this Set?

It also surprised me what Frederick Sidai mentioned: "Sigung Ho Fatt Naam also taught this set to the sultan of his state as a health exercise, saying that training the set slowly and in a meditative state of mind would generate an energy flow that would be excellent for health". What would be the reason Sigung chose this Set and no other for teaching the Sultan? Wouldn't any Set performed slowly fulfill the purpose of generating energy flow and promoting health?

So many questions! Thanks for joining the discussion. Please share your thoughts. If would be wonderful to deepen our understanding of this beautiful Set.

With Love, Care and Shaolin Salute,

Santi
    Shaolin Wahnam USA

Grimlock is offline Sifu Chris Didyk - Instructor, Shaolin Wahnam USA
    If I remember correctly, Sifu also used Gourd Rolling on Ground to evade the Muay Thai fighter he fought with years ago. Sometimes you just have to get out of the way quickly however you can. Gourd Rolling on Ground gives you a way to dive out of the way in a controlled enough manner that you can quickly transition to another pattern.

The Shaolin Traveling Dragon Pakua Set will be a fantastic course. The luck of the Irish is strong! I know Sifu has taught this set at Special Intensives, but is this the first time he is teaching a course dedicated to this set only?
    Chris Didyk
    Shaolin Wahnam USA

Thank You.