Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Shaolin Pakua Set

Andrea is offline Sifu Andrea Zilio - Instructor, Shaolin Wahnam Switzerland
    I learned the Shaolin Pakua Set at the form level in 2010/11 as Sigung generously suggested this would be a good Shaolin specialization for me, but I didn't have an opportunity yet to learn it properly in a course. Hopefully this will happen in the future .
    Josh, may his memory be blessed, kindly madde an impromptu demonstration, when we met at the Chi Kung Healing Course in 2011. It helped me to figure out some patterns I missed on the other videos... so I share it bellow.
    I remember I liked the flow and the dragon spirit of the form...

At the moment it does not look like I can take off on Feb 16-28, 2018 for the Irish course. But who knows miracle happens... so I better start revising it .
    Last edited by Andrea; 18th October 2017 at 07:54 PM.
    Join our Wahnam Tai Chi Chuan & Qi Gong Classes in Zürich and other Swiss locations

Facebook:
    www.facebook.com/Taichichuan.Wahnam.ch
    Google+ :
    https://plus.google.com/+TaiChiChuanQigongWahnamZürich/

Dear Sihing,

Thank you for starting this thread and facilitating this interesting discussion. We are incredibly lucky indeed to have the opportunity to learn this set from Sigung here in Ireland.

I have been learning the form in preparation for the course and I must say it is a very enjoyable experience. It reminds me of the Flowing Water Floating Clouds set with beautiful patterns and powerful flow. I especially love the feeling of the Dragon and Monkey in the set.

The opening part of the first sequence alone, Cannon to Sky, Fierce Dragon Across Stream,Golden Dragon Plays with Water and Black Crow Flaps Wings highlighted to me that the possible combat proficiency from this set is incredibly high as the patterns flow together so seamlessly with directness and force. It is going to be an epic course.

Best wishes,
    Dominic.

Kevin_B is offline Sifu Kevin Barry - Instructor, Shaolin Wahnam Ireland
    Quote Originally Posted by Dominic Roche View Post
    It is going to be an epic course.
    Very epic indeed Dominic!!
    Wahnam Tai Chi Chuan and Shaolin Chi Kung classes in Dublin

http://www.taijiquan.ie/

Sigung has very kindly uploaded the video of the Pakua Set as originally presented in the Way of the Master DVD on vimeo.

Thank you Sigung!

Link is here:

https://vimeo.com/244398607

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin_B View Post
    Sigung has very kindly uploaded the video of the Pakua Set as originally presented in the Way of the Master DVD on vimeo.

Thank you Sigung!

Link is here:

https://vimeo.com/244398607
    Thank you Siheng, looking forward to training it with you.

Thank you Sigung, for gifting this video to us for our preparation.

Happy training,
    David
    Shaolin Wahnam USA

Quote Originally Posted by David Langford View Post
    Thank you Siheng, looking forward to training it with you.

Thank you Sigung, for gifting this video to us for our preparation.

Happy training,
    David
    Very happy to hear David! You will be very welcome!!

Will it be your first time in Ireland?

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin_B View Post
    Very happy to hear David! You will be very welcome!!

Will it be your first time in Ireland?
    Yes indeed, looking forward to training and trying some of that good Irish brew with you!
    Shaolin Wahnam USA

Joan is offline Sifu Joan Browne - Chief Instructor, Shaolin Wahnam Ireland

The Fragrant Fox

Dear Shaolin Wahnam Family and Virtual Kwoon readers,

For those of you who are attending this course in Ireland in February, it may be worth your while reading Sifu's novelette The Fragrant Fox, please see link below to follow each instalment.

http://www.shaolin.org/general/fragr...ant-fox13.html

Sifu very kindly wrote to me saying:

The no-shadow kick which I post about in Fragrant Fox today, is from the Shaolin Pakua Set. There are also many other descriptions about the set. In fact, the whole novelette is about Shaolin Kungfu from the Shaolin Pakua Set.
    Perhaps we can discuss the story, the strategies and the set and we can respectfully ask if Sifu is willing to answer some questions for those who are attending.

Thank you Kevin for starting this thread and I am sure Mark will have some wonderful comments here once he returns from Penang!

However, you can discuss, chat, question and share in the meantime.

Many Blessings,
    Joan
    Books don't mean a lot unless you open them, Hearts are the same.......

Valentine's Smile from the Heart 2018 IRELAND - world renowned Grandmaster Wong Kiew Kit.

A magic week of Chi Kung, Internal Force and Shaolin Kungfu
    Generating Energy Flow
    18 Lohan Arts
    Internal Force
    The Shaolin Pakua set- transmitted to Grandmaster Wong Kiew Kit by his Sifu -Ho Fatt Nam .

Sifujoan@gmail.com

Dear Shaolin Wahnam Family,

Quote Originally Posted by David Langford View Post
    Hey Santi!

In the four gates combo set there is a roll after a tiger tail kick as well. It is used to escape a cannon punch to the groin after they thread your kick.

It is also useful to know how to roll in case you get caught in a shoulder throw and can't counter.

Take care,
    David
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt F. View Post
    Tiger Tail kick followed by roll, an example and explanation can be found here (about 2/3 down the page): https://shaolin.org/combat/amazing.html

I could not find the particulars, but I seem to recall a story about "Person A" catching "Person B's" kick, as in the above example. When Person B tried the Tiger Tail kick, Person A countered by holding on to the trapped leg, driving "Person B" forward, and mashing his face into the ground. Person B did not know about the rolling away afterward portion of the technique. It was a good lesson!

I'm not sure if Sifu was Person A, B, or just witnessed the encounter.

-Matt
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimlock View Post
    If I remember correctly, Sifu also used Gourd Rolling on Ground to evade the Muay Thai fighter he fought with years ago. Sometimes you just have to get out of the way quickly however you can. Gourd Rolling on Ground gives you a way to dive out of the way in a controlled enough manner that you can quickly transition to another pattern.

The Shaolin Traveling Dragon Pakua Set will be a fantastic course. The luck of the Irish is strong! I know Sifu has taught this set at Special Intensives, but is this the first time he is teaching a course dedicated to this set only?
    Thank you David Sijat, Matt Sidai and Chris Sidai for your wonderful replies. I attach a picture with the Pattern you mention (Tiger Tail Kick) in order to facilitate discussion.

Tiger-Tail-Kick-Shaolin-Kung-Fu.jpg

Your answers triggered a new question in my mind. Wouldn't it be easier and faster to just step back in most scenarios rather than going down to the floor, rolling and standing up again? May one of the characteristics or strengths of this patter be the "Element of Surprise"?

In case that someone catches ones foot, wouldn't it be more effective to apply, for example, "Hanging Fist" from Sequence 7 (Thrust Kick) in our Wahnam Taijiquan Syllabus?

I include pictures bellow in order to facilitate discussion:

Thrust Kick
    Thrust Kick.jpg

Double Dragons Carry Pearl
    Double Dragons Carry Pearl.jpg

Hanging Fist
    Hanging Fist.jpg

Looking forward to your answers!

With Love, Care and Shaolin Salute,

Santi

Matt F. is offline Sifu Matt Fenton - Instructor, Shaolin Wahnam USA
    Hi Santi!

I think that rolling should be an extension of the bridge -> shift weight -> change stance -> move body type of progression, and not a "first move". For instance:

Opponent's force goes across your body: redirect force with your hand/arm, turn at hips/waist, rotate to Unicorn stance, continue to spin and roll away. You wouldn't want to start with roll away immediately, because you would severely limit your choices for countering.

or a similar progression, with a direct force from your opponent

Opponent comes directly toward you: thread attacking arm, shift weight backward, slide front foot back to false leg stance, step backward to a new stance, jump backwards. Again, you wouldn't want to immediately start with jump backwards.

When standing in chi flow, you do not intentionally move your feet. But if the flow causes you to lean forward, and a step happens naturally, that is much preferred to contracting muscles and fighting against gravity just to remain standing without moving your feet. I see the combat application of rolling in a very similar manner. If an opponent catches your foot, Hanging Fist would be a good counter if they are close enough for you to apply the technique. In this case, rolling would not be a suitable option. However, if your opponent catches your foot, and then twists your foot/leg, moving with this momentum and rolling away would be suitable, while trying to resist the twisting so you can apply Hanging Fist would not be ideal.

The sooner you can deal with your opponents threat, the better it would be for you. Each step, in the above progressions, should allow you an opportunity to counter. But if it does not, you should naturally move along the progression to the next opportunity, and so on. If you need to "abandon ship" and jump or roll out of the way, it'll be good to have practiced it before hand!

-Matt