Shaolin Pakua Set

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by David Langford View Post
    Thank you Siheng, looking forward to training it with you.

Thank you Sigung, for gifting this video to us for our preparation.

Happy training,
    David
    Very happy to hear David! You will be very welcome!!

Will it be your first time in Ireland?

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin_B View Post
      Very happy to hear David! You will be very welcome!!

Will it be your first time in Ireland?
      Yes indeed, looking forward to training and trying some of that good Irish brew with you!
      Shaolin Wahnam USA

"Every morning you are born again. What you do today is the most important thing".

Comment

The Fragrant Fox

Dear Shaolin Wahnam Family and Virtual Kwoon readers,

For those of you who are attending this course in Ireland in February, it may be worth your while reading Sifu's novelette The Fragrant Fox, please see link below to follow each instalment.

Sifu very kindly wrote to me saying:

The no-shadow kick which I post about in Fragrant Fox today, is from the Shaolin Pakua Set. There are also many other descriptions about the set. In fact, the whole novelette is about Shaolin Kungfu from the Shaolin Pakua Set.
        Perhaps we can discuss the story, the strategies and the set and we can respectfully ask if Sifu is willing to answer some questions for those who are attending.

Thank you Kevin for starting this thread and I am sure Mark will have some wonderful comments here once he returns from Penang!

However, you can discuss, chat, question and share in the meantime.

Many Blessings,
        Joan
        Books don't mean a lot unless you open them, Hearts are the same.......

Valentine's Smile from the Heart 2019 IRELAND - world renowned Grandmaster Wong Kiew Kit.

-A FEAST OF SHAOLIN transmitted by Grandmaster Wong Kiew Kit FEBRUARY 16TH -19TH 2019
        GENERATING ENERGY FLOW
        ONE FINGER SHOOTING ZEN
        THE INCREDIBLE 3 DAY INTENSIVE ZEN COURSE .

Sifujoan@gmail.com

Comment

Dear Shaolin Wahnam Family,

Originally posted by David Langford View Post
          Hey Santi!

In the four gates combo set there is a roll after a tiger tail kick as well. It is used to escape a cannon punch to the groin after they thread your kick.

It is also useful to know how to roll in case you get caught in a shoulder throw and can't counter.

Take care,
          David
          Originally posted by Matt F. View Post
          Tiger Tail kick followed by roll, an example and explanation can be found here (about 2/3 down the page): https://shaolin.org/combat/amazing.html

I could not find the particulars, but I seem to recall a story about "Person A" catching "Person B's" kick, as in the above example. When Person B tried the Tiger Tail kick, Person A countered by holding on to the trapped leg, driving "Person B" forward, and mashing his face into the ground. Person B did not know about the rolling away afterward portion of the technique. It was a good lesson!

I'm not sure if Sifu was Person A, B, or just witnessed the encounter.

-Matt
          Originally posted by Grimlock View Post
          If I remember correctly, Sifu also used Gourd Rolling on Ground to evade the Muay Thai fighter he fought with years ago. Sometimes you just have to get out of the way quickly however you can. Gourd Rolling on Ground gives you a way to dive out of the way in a controlled enough manner that you can quickly transition to another pattern.

The Shaolin Traveling Dragon Pakua Set will be a fantastic course. The luck of the Irish is strong! I know Sifu has taught this set at Special Intensives, but is this the first time he is teaching a course dedicated to this set only?
          Thank you David Sijat, Matt Sidai and Chris Sidai for your wonderful replies. I attach a picture with the Pattern you mention (Tiger Tail Kick) in order to facilitate discussion.

Tiger-Tail-Kick-Shaolin-Kung-Fu.jpg

Your answers triggered a new question in my mind. Wouldn't it be easier and faster to just step back in most scenarios rather than going down to the floor, rolling and standing up again? May one of the characteristics or strengths of this patter be the "Element of Surprise"?

In case that someone catches ones foot, wouldn't it be more effective to apply, for example, "Hanging Fist" from Sequence 7 (Thrust Kick) in our Wahnam Taijiquan Syllabus?

I include pictures bellow in order to facilitate discussion:

Thrust Kick
          Thrust Kick.jpg

Double Dragons Carry Pearl
          Double Dragons Carry Pearl.jpg

Hanging Fist
          Hanging Fist.jpg

Looking forward to your answers!

With Love, Care and Shaolin Salute,

Santi

Comment

Hi Santi!

I think that rolling should be an extension of the bridge -> shift weight -> change stance -> move body type of progression, and not a "first move". For instance:

Opponent's force goes across your body: redirect force with your hand/arm, turn at hips/waist, rotate to Unicorn stance, continue to spin and roll away. You wouldn't want to start with roll away immediately, because you would severely limit your choices for countering.

or a similar progression, with a direct force from your opponent

Opponent comes directly toward you: thread attacking arm, shift weight backward, slide front foot back to false leg stance, step backward to a new stance, jump backwards. Again, you wouldn't want to immediately start with jump backwards.

When standing in chi flow, you do not intentionally move your feet. But if the flow causes you to lean forward, and a step happens naturally, that is much preferred to contracting muscles and fighting against gravity just to remain standing without moving your feet. I see the combat application of rolling in a very similar manner. If an opponent catches your foot, Hanging Fist would be a good counter if they are close enough for you to apply the technique. In this case, rolling would not be a suitable option. However, if your opponent catches your foot, and then twists your foot/leg, moving with this momentum and rolling away would be suitable, while trying to resist the twisting so you can apply Hanging Fist would not be ideal.

The sooner you can deal with your opponents threat, the better it would be for you. Each step, in the above progressions, should allow you an opportunity to counter. But if it does not, you should naturally move along the progression to the next opportunity, and so on. If you need to "abandon ship" and jump or roll out of the way, it'll be good to have practiced it before hand!

-Matt

Comment

Dear Kevin Si Jat,

Thank you for starting this thread.

Thank you Sifu for the great video of the Pakua Set and of course the very beautiful Novelette the fragrant fox.

In the Novelette I'm curious to know why the ''perfect detective'' seems to always need Yang Shao Ming to help him solve his crimes? Was it because of Yangs mental clarity from his Shaolin training that benefited the investigations? It didn't seem to be at least so far, as the detective Chin seemed to be one or two steps ahead of him. What about fragrant fox? if she had never robbed previously why would she do so now? There seems to be more questions then they are answers 😊.

When Yang executed the butterfly palms in the fight in the tea house and used release force instead of strike force. I wonder will Sifu be teaching this at the upcoming Shaolin Pakua course here in Ireland in February?
              If so can this release force be used with any strike including kicks? Is there more than these two types of forces used in the Pakua set when striking?

Shaolin Salute,
              Brendan

Comment

My Dear Shaolin Wahnam Family and Virtual Kwoon readers,

Sifu is very kind and generous. Although Sifu must be so busy teaching the Essence of Shaolin and the Small Universe course in Malaysia at the moment, I have received an email saying that questions on Fragrant Fox will indeed be answered!

Thank you Sifu. We really appreciate your kindness and answers.

So read, enjoy, discuss and question!

Many Blessings,
                Joan

Valentine's Smile from the Heart 2019 IRELAND - world renowned Grandmaster Wong Kiew Kit.

-A FEAST OF SHAOLIN transmitted by Grandmaster Wong Kiew Kit FEBRUARY 16TH -19TH 2019
                GENERATING ENERGY FLOW
                ONE FINGER SHOOTING ZEN

Sifujoan@gmail.com

Comment

Dear Sije,Shaolin Wahnam family and virtual kwoon readers,

Sifu has very kindly already begun answering the questions.

Thank you so much Sifu,

Enjoy.

The ''perfect detective'' seems to always need Yang Shao Ming to help him solve his crimes because the "perfect detective" was excellent in using other people, and Yang Shao Ming, being a kungfu expert and his friend, was a right person to use, not necessarily in a bad way.

Yang Shao Ming, for example, received the various awards of the government which he used wisely and generously for other people, like artfully slipping a large piece of silver into the hands of the elderly lady in Fragrant Fox' home.

I was much intrigued by some people who asked how a "kungfu knight" earned his living. "Kungfu knights" didn't survive on sunshine and fresh air. Getting generous rewards on difficult crimes was an answer.

Yang's training at the Shaolin Monastery certainly gave him much mental clarity, just as our family members are also mentally clear from our training. Nevertheless, the "perfect detective" had a lot of mental clarity too.

The "perfect detective" seemed to be one or two steps ahead of Yang Shao Ming. I would emphasize the word "seemed".

What would you think Fragrant Fox would do now? The story at the end explained what she would do. But as I intend to publish the story later on, I purposely leave out the last part as well as two other parts to whet your appetide.

Interestingly, the past part was lost in my computer, and I had to rewrite it recently. The original part was written in an old format, in Word Perfect, about 40 years ago. Perhaps some kind soul can help me to recover it.

The many questions are meant to whet your appetide, as well as to test your mental clarity and intellectual curiosity. All the questions will be answered in the story.

It is interesting that you mention about "hit force" and "release force", which means I have to teach these two types of force at the Shaolin Pakua Course in Ireland in February. Please remind me if I don't.

Best regards,
                  Sifu.
                  Last edited by Anton S.; 14 December 2017, 02:16 PM. Reason: quotation added

Comment

Dear Family,

Thank you to everyone for your wonderful comments and insights into the Shaolin Pakua set.

Dear Sifu,

Thank you very much for highlighting the wonderful novelete that Sigung has so kindly shared. I read it through again last night, and I must say it is a very enjoyable and heart warming story. I particularly loved the story of Yang Shao Ming training in the Shaolin Monastery for 18 years before leaving to fulfill his karmic duties to follow the Bodhisattva way.

Dear Sigung,

Thank you very much for sharing your novelete with us. It is not only very enjoyable to read but also a great source to learn about the Shaolin Pakua set.You are incredibly generous, thank you very much for the opportunity to ask questions on the Fragrant Fox Novelete.

Was Fragrant Fox skilled in Shaolin Pakua Kung Fu and is there any relation between the Art Of Lightness and the Shaolin Pakua Set?

In the story Yang Shao Ming uses his Kung Fu to help others in a very compassionate way as not to injure his opponents. Is there any special significance between Shaolin Pakua Kung Fu and developing compassion for ones opponent?

Best wishes,
                    Dominic.

Comment

Dear Sifu, Shaolin Wahnam family and virtual kwoon readers,

Sigung has kindly answered my questions. Thank you very much Sigung.

>> Was Fragrant Fox skilled in Shaolin Pakua Kung Fu and is there any relation between the Art Of Lightness and the Shaolin Pakua Set?

Fragrant Fox is already skilled in her kungfu. He probably learned the Pakua Set, or part of it, from observing someone performing it. She could do so because she was already very skillful. I "stole" some sets from Uncle Righteousness by observing my classmates performing the sets, and, without false modesty, I believe I can perform them very well now. Two special sets I like very much, and which have contributed much to our kungfu development in Shaolin Wahnam are Flower Set and Triple Stretch. There is, however, no direct connection between the Art of Lightness and the Shaolin Pakua Set. I learned the Art of Lightness from conversation with my sifu, Sifu Ho Fatt Nam.

>> In the story Yang Shao Ming uses his Kung Fu to help others in a very compassionate way as not to injure his opponents. Is there any special significance between Shaolin Pakua Kung Fu and developing compassion for ones opponent?

Developing compassion is in all Shaolin sets, and in Shaolin philosophy. There is no special significance between it and the Shaolin Pakua Set. As the Shaolin Pakua Set is from Shaolin, and as Shaolin disciples are trained in compassion in other ways, like in the Ten Shaolin Laws, for example, they are naturally compassionate. If a Shaolin Disciple is not compassionate, he has missed a very important aspect of Shaolin teaching. Being compassion is actually for his own sake, although it will also benefit others.

Best regards,
                      Sigung.
                      Last edited by Anton S.; 14 December 2017, 02:18 PM. Reason: quotation added

Comment

Dear Brendan and Dominic,

Thank you so much for taking part in the thread and for reproducing Sifu's answers to your questions.

Sifu is indeed very generous.

It is important perhaps to mention that the story is continuing on Sifu's website www.shaolin.org with parts of the story being uploaded every few days.

It will be interesting to see what Fragrant Fox is up to and how many more patterns from the Shaolin Pakua set Yang will need to employ.

"Remember," Chin continued, "the golden rule in criminal investigation -- and that is also the secret of my success -- is to let the clues lead logically to the suspects; certainly not select some likely suspects first, then search for possible clues to convict them. To find the suspect from the clues is surely more difficult than to find clues to suit presupposed suspects; but it is the proper approach to adopt
                        Do you think Chin's 'golden rule' is a good one?

Enjoy!

Many Blessings,
                        Joan

GENERATING ENERGY FLOW
                        ONE FINGER SHOOTING ZEN

Sifujoan@gmail.com

Comment

Dear Brendan

Originally posted by brendan View Post
                          Interestingly, the past part was lost in my computer, and I had to rewrite it recently. The original part was written in an old format, in Word Perfect, about 40 years ago. Perhaps some kind soul can help me to recover it.
                          I'm pretty sure LibreOffice (a free office suite) should be able to read that file, and convert it to whatever format Sifu wants, so if you want to have a try (http://www.libreoffice.org), if not, just let me know and you can send me the file and I'll try it myself.

Comment

I wonder if Shaolin Pakua is considered the Marvelous set by past masters in Sitaigung Ho's Shaolin lineage.

There seems to be many Marvelous applications in each one of the Shaolin Pakua techniques, I really am enjoying reading about some of them in Fragrant Fox. I look forward to practicing them with everyone come February!

The masked man did not stop too; he charged into Liang with a spear-hand to his chest, an attacking pattern known as "Poisonous Snake Shoots out from its Cave" -- as vicious sounding as it was deadly in application. But this attack was a feint; as soon as Liang tried to block, the masked man lowered his stance and changed the spear-hand, which was half-way through its execution, into a diagonal chop at Liang's front knee. Liang retreated his front right leg into a "unicorn step" (formed by bringing the front leg to the back, crossing the left knee with the right calf). The masked man changed his technique again, before even completing the palm-chop. He turned about his body, dropped his hands onto the ground, and thrust out his left leg in a tiger-tail kick at Liang's abdomen -- all these actions in one lightning movement.
                            Shaolin Wahnam USA

"Every morning you are born again. What you do today is the most important thing".

Comment

Dear Sifu,

It is certainly great story and enjoyable to see what Yang Shao Ming will get up to next.

To answer your question ‘Do you think Chin's 'golden rule' is a good one?’

Yes, I certainly think this is a good rule. I think it would be a good way to live everyday life also. Keeping an open mind and not having predetermined ideas about people and events. You will always arrive at your destination by going with the flow.

Dear Sifu, Sihing, Shaoilin Wahnam family and virtual kwoon readers,

I thought the following piece from the novelette shows how special and important the Shaolin Pakua set is.

‘At Shaolin Monastery, all kungfu students started with a basic kungfu set known as "Cross-Roads at Four Gates", which was principally meant to train the students' forearm techniques and footwork, two important factors in combat. After this, the master chose one out of four Shaolin sets to teach the students, depending on the students' needs and abilities. The Shaolin Pa-Kua Set was one of these four sets, and was noted for its palm techniques and agile mobility.’

Shaolin salute,
                              Dominic.

Comment

Dear Shaolin Wahnam Family,

Originally posted by Matt F. View Post
                                Hi Santi!

I think that rolling should be an extension of the bridge -> shift weight -> change stance -> move body type of progression, and not a "first move". For instance:

Opponent's force goes across your body: redirect force with your hand/arm, turn at hips/waist, rotate to Unicorn stance, continue to spin and roll away. You wouldn't want to start with roll away immediately, because you would severely limit your choices for countering.

or a similar progression, with a direct force from your opponent

Opponent comes directly toward you: thread attacking arm, shift weight backward, slide front foot back to false leg stance, step backward to a new stance, jump backwards. Again, you wouldn't want to immediately start with jump backwards.

When standing in chi flow, you do not intentionally move your feet. But if the flow causes you to lean forward, and a step happens naturally, that is much preferred to contracting muscles and fighting against gravity just to remain standing without moving your feet. I see the combat application of rolling in a very similar manner. If an opponent catches your foot, Hanging Fist would be a good counter if they are close enough for you to apply the technique. In this case, rolling would not be a suitable option. However, if your opponent catches your foot, and then twists your foot/leg, moving with this momentum and rolling away would be suitable, while trying to resist the twisting so you can apply Hanging Fist would not be ideal.

The sooner you can deal with your opponents threat, the better it would be for you. Each step, in the above progressions, should allow you an opportunity to counter. But if it does not, you should naturally move along the progression to the next opportunity, and so on. If you need to "abandon ship" and jump or roll out of the way, it'll be good to have practiced it before hand!

-Matt
                                Thank you Matt Sidai for your wonderful explanation. It is truly amazing the versatility that Shaolin Kung Fu has.

I would also like to thank Sifu for sharing with all of us his fantastic Novelette. I am enjoying it a lot.

While reading it, I have been wondering often why "the whole novelette is about Shaolin Kungfu from the Shaolin Pakua Set"? As Sifu knows so many Kung Fu Sets it is a mystery to me why Sifu chose the Shaolin Pakua Set and not other.

With Love, Care and Shaolin Salute,

Santi

Comment

Working...
                                X