Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best pattern(s) for sparring

Dear family / visitors,

What is your favourite Taijiquan pattern for practical sparring?

For me personally, Cloud Hands is a gift that never stops giving

Best wishes,
    Markus Kahila
    Shaolin Nordic Finland

www.shaolin-nordic.com

Cloud Hands is a gift that I never quite appreciated until I was able to have some semi-regular sparring partners at a Kuntao school, where they called the pattern "Continuous Butterfly Hands." The idea of a continuous pattern that could act like a blender cutting up anything that came near was very, very appealing to me.

If I had to pick just one, though, I'd have to say Dodge Then Extend Arm (I believe some people call it "Fan Through Back" some times?) The combination of deflecting an attack, creating an open line, and sending my palm along that revealed path to deliver a decisive strike is extremely satisfying. Jade Maiden Threads Shuttle is an extremely close second for similar reasons.
    I like making silly videos (including kung fu ones!) every so often on YouTube and taking pictures of weird things on Instagram.

Comment

Cloud Hands is a gift that I never quite appreciated until I was able to have some semi-regular sparring partners at a Kuntao school, where they called the pattern "Continuous Butterfly Hands." The idea of a continuous pattern that could act like a blender cutting up anything that came near was very, very appealing to me.
      - Actually, this approach also works great with Hungry Tiger Snatches Goat in Shaolin Kungfu.

If I had to pick just one, though, I'd have to say Dodge Then Extend Arm (I believe some people call it "Fan Through Back" some times?) The combination of deflecting an attack, creating an open line, and sending my palm along that revealed path to deliver a decisive strike is extremely satisfying. Jade Maiden Threads Shuttle is an extremely close second for similar reasons
      - You're going to love Flower Set at Winter Camp 2018...

Best wishes,
      Markus Kahila
      Shaolin Nordic Finland

www.shaolin-nordic.com

Comment

"Green Dragon shoots Pearl" and "Immortal Waves Sleeves" - two patterns students learn at the very beginning, yet they are very useful and versatile.
        Both are manifestations of "cloud hands" as well.
        Last edited by Andrea; 6 October 2017, 10:57 PM.
        Enjoy some Wahnam Tai Chi Chuan & Qi Gong!

Evening Classes in Zürich
        Weekend Classes in other Swiss locations

Facebook: www.facebook.com/Taichichuan.Wahnam.ch

Comment

"Green Dragon shoots Pearl"
          - Have to say, this coupled with cloud hands are my two go-to Taijiquan techniques.

Best wishes,
          Markus Kahila
          Shaolin Nordic Finland

www.shaolin-nordic.com

Comment

I'd have to say, that Immortal Waves Sleeves continued with White Snake. There's the deflecting of the opponent and strike in one movement.
            Another one is a fake upper strike with the simultanious hidden kick to the groin. Always effective.

Best wishes,

Nessa
            Nessa Kahila
            Shaolin Nordic Finland
            Instructor
            nessa@shaolin-nordic.com

www.shaolin-nordic.com

Comment

Interesting answers. I love all these patterns, especially Hungry Tiger Catches Goat....

However, after the recent course in Ireland I would have to say "Taming Hand" is the best pattern. "Covering the opponent is more important than attacking" to paraphrase Sigung. When the variations of taming hand are used it seems as though all techniques opens up.
              Shaolin Wahnam USA

"Every morning you are born again. What you do today is the most important thing".

Comment

Working...
              X