Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Combat Application of Patterns in Essence of Shaolin

Dear Family,

As the Essence of Shaolin course starts in just two months, I would like to start this thread to share opinions and observations about possible applications of patterns in the Essence of Shaolin set.

Sigung mentioned in the Q and A series that every single pattern included in this set can be used to defend any attack. Every pattern can be used in marvelous way as well.

It means that there is no limitation in use of this set.

I am sure that there is many students preparing to the course and many others wondering about the application.

Sigung is very kind and from time to time shares as usual some secrets in open, for instance by publishing videos that show application of different patterns.

I would like to encourage all of You to just relax and open our minds, use the imagination and share some interesting ideas.

With sincere respect
    Karol

Can anyone tell the difference between:

13 Double Dragons Subdue Serpent
    34 Little Devil Takes off Boots

I guess the first one is used to twist the neck, what about the second one? movements are quite similar.

Patterns
    31 Little Child Worships Buddha
    32 Little Devil Embraces Heaven King

were already discussed in Essence of Shaolin thread.

what about

43 Lift Hand Towards Sky 44 Double Stars to Ground?

or

51 Sit Alone on Lotus Flower 52 Reverse Planting of Willow?

many interesting movements in

68 Little Bird Goes up Framework

what is the purpose of half step and hand movements?

Comment

Dear Karol Siheng,

Originally posted by Karol View Post
      Can anyone tell the difference between:

51 Sit Alone on Lotus Flower 52 Reverse Planting of Willow?
      If I hazard a guess, the first is some type of groin grab (the movement in the video is very minimalistic, so it's next to impossible to tell exact application) and the second ends up with the opponent's right arm being held against his back, with the exponent securing the hand with left and elbow with his right hand.

With sincere respect,
      Olli

Comment

Is there any similarity between exploding force of Dragon Strength and pattern 65 Peacock Opens Tail?

Comment

Dear Karol,

this is an interesting question we can only speculate about.
          A skilled practitioner may be able to explode Dragon Force using "Peacock Opens Tail".
          However, in my opinion, this may not be the best application.
          Why?
          Simply because it is not found in the Dragon Strength Set. If it would be the best, I am sure, Sigung would have added this pattern into the Dragon Strength.
          Furthermore, it is neither found in the short "Dragon Form".
          Aside from that, the mechanics of "Peacock Opens Tail" are different from the "Dragon Manifests Miraculous Majesty". Although both are "opening patterns".
          So what´s the use of "Peacock Opens Tail"?
          We will learn it soon!

But beforehand, does anyone have some ideas?

Best regards,
          Anton.
          Engage and maintain joyful practice!

May all of you get the best benefits from what you do.

Anton Schmick
          Shaolin Wahnam Germany Nord

shaolinwahnamchina.com
          http://chikunghamburg.wordpress.com
          http://shaolinwahnam-nord.de
          http://kungfu-luebeck.de

Comment

Hi everyone,

Nice guessing game!

What about being held by two opponents, one on the right, one at the left, each holding one arm?

After adjusting footwork (to behind their legs) one could twist the arms and fell both opponents.

Looking forward to meeting many of you in December.

Best wishes,

Leo
            Sifu Leonard Lackinger

Shaolin Treasure House

Shaolin Wahnam Wien & Shaolin Treasure House

Comment

Some more questions:

- Greeting at the beginning of the set. I heard that the greeting is supposed to activate the Small Universe. Why in this set it goes in 3 directions?

- Pattern 80 Continuous Hook Hands or 81 Move Elbow Strike Hand. There is a part where one first grab the hand while moving back in the stance and grab the face. The movement down - does it suppose to snatch the jaw/eyes?

Comment

Dear Karol Siheng,

Greeting at the beginning of the set. I heard that the greeting is supposed to activate the Small Universe.
                You have understood something slightly wrong. Lifting Sun and Moon (right in the beginning before the greeting) and Lifting Water as it is adapted in Taijiquan are means to activate or develop the Small Universe. The actual greeting serves no such purpose that I know.

With sincere respect,
                Olli

Comment

Application of Greeting

To reply to the above: Actually there is combat application to Dragon and Tiger appear, our greeting, which Sifu taught us at the Five Animals course in Vienna in 2016, which Sifu has written in the Complete Book of Shaolin, which Sifu has also written about somewhere in the main website searchable pages, and which Sifu has mentioned in the 10 questions on Essence on this forum/kwoon.

There are actually something like 5-10 or more applications of JUST the movements of this opening, from upright with hands at sides, through the greeting, to back to that position.

To Leo, who I can;t wait to see again, and in Penang no less!: If two adult men held my arms, I would consult them to speedily prepare their last will and testament. And then proceed to free them from this plane of desire.

Kristian

Comment

Some more food for thought: while Peacock Opens Tail is not found in Dragon Strength, it is found in the Wudang Taijiquan set.

I'm not quite through the entire set yet (at pattern 90 presently), but there are a couple of things I find interesting when I think about how every pattern in the set is an ultimate pattern

1) The set is a pretty even mix of patterns I've learned before in other sets and ones I haven't seen outside of Essence of Shaolin. I'm especially intrigued that at least the beginning of the set is so heavily Dragon and Tiger patterns.

2) While there are several patterns that look similar, I'm struck by the omission of a couple of notable patterns I've long thought of as ultimate patterns that are not in this set: Green Dragon Shoots Pearl and Hungry Tiger Catches Goat. The butterfly palms make several appearances, both as Double Butterflies Flying Together and Bagua Palm Technique (sometimes also called Z-Character Palms). Others sneak in under different names, like how Hundred Steps Through Willow looks to be a continuous series of Swimming Dragon Plays With Water.

3) There don't seem to be any phoenix eye fists, snake strikes, or leopard strikes in the set. Mostly claws, fists, and palms. Of course, there are many cup fist strikes that could be easily modified to phoenix eye fists.
                    Chris Didyk
                    Shaolin Wahnam USA

Thank You.

Comment

Re: Reverse Planting of Willow - I'll just say that this is a special Muay Thai defense from Sigung Ho. Anyone who has attended a kung fu course with Sifu that includes Muay Thai counters over the past few years has probably seen and had this pattern applied on them. It really is fantastic.

Re: Little Bird Goes Up Framework - to me, this looks like two Yellow Oriole Drinks Water patterns joined together in a way that breaks rhythm to throw your opponent off, especially if your opponent is expecting mandarin duck kicks. So maybe Little Bird Goes Up Framework has the tactic of false/real built in. If you do the first kick and your opponent barely gets out of the way, you follow straight away with a knee strike or kick (depending on spacing) with the other leg, a la mandarin duck kicks. If he expects the mandarin duck kick, you fake it to throw him off and catch him with the second kick using the same leg as the first kick (Little Bird Goes Up Framework as done in the set).
                      Chris Didyk
                      Shaolin Wahnam USA

Thank You.

Comment

Dear Sipak,

Thank You for Your sharp observations.

Dear brother Olli, thank You for correcting me in the post above.

I am a bit puzzled by lack of One Finger Zen forms. OFZ together with Palm and Fist is one of three most advanced arts....

Sigung mentioned as well that One Finger Shooting Zen set is a good way to develop the force for EoS set. I expected One Finger Zen at least at the last pattern, sth like One Finger Stabilize the Universe we could see in many other sets, but we have a left fist there...

With Shaolin Salute
                        Karol

Comment

Some applications

43 Lift Hand Towards Sky : Counter-cum-attack against Tiger Tail kick

44 Double Stars to Ground : Counter then attack to flanks against double mid level strikes or double hand grips

51 Sit Alone on Lotus Flower : Counter to single-leg take down ( flow with attacker momentum from right bow arrow stance and slide back to pattern 51...left hand control attacker right arm , right elbow strike vertically down to attacker spine and right knee fossa lock grapplers left arm ) .

Damian Kissey
                          Shaolin Wahnam Sabah , Malaysia .
                          www.shaolinwahnamsabah.com

Comment

Originally posted by understanding View Post
                            Dear Karol Siheng,

You have understood something slightly wrong. Lifting Sun and Moon (right in the beginning before the greeting) and Lifting Water as it is adapted in Taijiquan are means to activate or develop the Small Universe. The actual greeting serves no such purpose that I know.

With sincere respect,
                            Olli
                            Considering my Sifu taught me how to activate the small universe with the Shaolin Salute sequence... I would say Karol understood correctly.

Take care,
                            David
                            Shaolin Wahnam USA

"Every morning you are born again. What you do today is the most important thing".

Comment

Peacock Opens Tail

Is there any similarity between exploding force of Dragon Strength and pattern 65 Peacock Opens Tail?
                              Hi Karol, this might be useful.

Check Q5 for 'Peacock Opens Tail' it's called 'Peacock Spreads Tail'

A selection of answers provided by Sifu Wong Kiew Kit to questions asked by the public on Shaolin Kungfu, Chi Kung, Taijiquan and Zen

Although I can't be 100% certain of this application, I think it may though be related!

Best Wishes
                              James
                              /O
                              Aaahhhhh!

Comment

Working...
                              X