Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Puerto Rico and Hurricane Maria

Dear family,

As I'm sure you all know, the islands in the caribbean have had an especially rough time of it lately with first Hurricane Irma and then Hurricane Maria coming through. My heart goes out to everyone affected by these catastrophic storms, and particularly to our Wahnam family in Puerto Rico, where the infrastructure is so badly damaged that experts estimate the people there will be without electricity for 4-6 months(!). I read a report this morning that there are nearly 10,000 shipping containers of aid materials at the port of San Juan, Puerto Rico, but damage to roads, fuel shortages, and a lack of truck drivers is making their distribution problematic.

1) has anyone heard from Angel or any of our other Puerto Rican Wahnam family? I would like to know firstly that everyone is ok and secondly what they need most/how best we can help. (I will also DM him in case he can access the forum.)

2) what if anything are you doing to help? I have read some wonderful articles that list various charities that are especially supporting Puerto Rico and the islands in different ways. I gave some money to the American Red Cross when Hurricane Harvey hit Texas, and am preparing another donation for them or another charity for helping the islands, but I would love to hear about other impactful ways we can help out. Christina and I have been batting around some other ideas, too, like a one-off Chi Kung workshop fundraiser with all proceeds going to support hurricane relief in the islands.

This situation is personal for me, partly because our Wahnam family is affected, and partly because having spent most of my adult life riding out or evacuating from hurricanes and tropical storms in New Orleans and Florida. I have experienced what these storms can do and, at times, I have made peace with the destruction they were likely to bring me. Luckily, I have so far escaped with just minor loss, but what the folks in the islands are living through is the nightmare scenario of everyone who lives in hurricane-prone areas. And while it's true that most of us choose to live in these areas, at least in the States, just about anywhere you live is threatened by some sort of natural disaster, whether it be tornados, earthquakes, volcanos, floods, fires, mudslides, or hurricanes.
    Chris Didyk
    Shaolin Wahnam USA

Thank You.

Let us know if you decide to do that workshop. Jenn and I might swing down with a couple extra people, if we can arrange it.

Comment

Dear Sifu Chris Didyk,

I am a student of Shaolin Wahnam Netherlands, however, my grandparents and most of my family are native Puerto Ricans living in PR and my sister was visiting them when the Hurricane struck. Luckily my parents live in Georgia so they have avoided this catastrophe.

I would firstly like to say that both my mother and I have tried contacting Sifu Angel but he has not yet responded.
      Please do not be alarmed! According to my grandmother all of the telephone towers in PR are down except those of the Claro company. Thus my Grandma has not been able to contact my other relatives who live in Arecibo a town an hour away from San Juan which has supposedly been hit very hard. Also most of the roads are closed for the time being so very little people can travel. We cannot do anything about this but I am sure that they are all alive and safe. The biggest issue right now is that the supplies in PR is quite low so people are being forced to ration. Also gasoline is running low and the lines for the gas stations are very long. This is how people like my grandmother have been able to charge their phones to contact their loved ones. There is obviously no electricity and water which is also a huge problem. There are some supplies that have been sent to PR, but they are very limited, for example my Aunt could only get 2 gallons of water for her and my uncle and only 1 gallon for my grandparents. If you choose a charity to donate to, please make sure that it is one interested in sending more supplies to PR. This is what the people need most right now.
      I have been lucky enough to have contact with my Grandmother which is why i know of the reality of the situation. I am sure that Sifu Angel and the rest of the PR Wahnam family are in the same situation. My sister and my two cousins have now left PR on this cruise which has offered free passage to Puerto Rican citizens to the mainland: http://www.wsbtv.com/news/trending-n...lief/616058746

They are heading to my mother who lives in Georgia.

The situation is very difficult and many people are trying to evacuate the island. Some like my aunt and uncle will probably stay. Of course i don't know what Sifu Angel has planned yet but as soon as I hear, I will post it in this thread. I will also keep you updated as to whether the situation worsens or gets better from the point of view of my Grandmother.
      A charity event sounds like a wonderful idea and the absolute kindness and compassion that you have shown for the people of PR is amazing and is what is needed most. Please also keep them in your prayers and blessings and I am sure that in time the island will recover, and I can also hope that this disaster will turn into the second chance that PR has been waiting to receive.

Blessings,

Miguel

Comment

Dear Family,

I have heard back from Sifu Angel who has informed me that he and his family are all safe and doing well, all things considered. Hopefully, I will have further updates soon.

Dear Miguel,

Thank you for your thoughtful post and for your offer to keep us updated on the situation there.

Dear Alex,

Thank you as well, I will certainly keep you posted on whatever we organize. Also, as you and several others asked me about training Shaolin Kung Fu during Sifu's visit last November, I may teach a Shaolin or Wudang Kung Fu workshop for both beginners and non-beginners if there is enough interest (again with the proceeds going to charity).
        Chris Didyk
        Shaolin Wahnam USA

Thank You.

Comment

Originally posted by Grimlock View Post
          I have heard back from Sifu Angel who has informed me that he and his family are all safe and doing well, all things considered. Hopefully, I will have further updates soon.

I'm glad to have confirmation that Angel and his family are well. I suspected as much, but it is good to have it confirmed.
          Charles David Chalmers
          Brunei Darussalam

Comment

Dear all,

I am happy to say that electricity has come back to my grandmother's house! It has not come back for all of Puerto Rico but this is a very good sign that things are moving quickly. Of course the next concern is water, but it is a true blessing that things are moving at a good pace.

Kind regards,
            Miguel

Comment

Working...
            X