Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

With so many arts in the school, what are you working on?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• With so many arts in the school, what are you working on?

Hi all! Hope everyone's training has been going well. The question of the moment is: What are you working on right now? How long are you planning to work on it?

Most folks who know me realize that I spent four or so years of my training on just Baguazhang before spending any significant amount of time on anything else (while reviewing the basic Shaolin syllabus). The next big change to my training happened back in October when Sifu taught us Cosmos Palm, which has become my morning training for some time now. It may very well become as much a part of my practice as Circle Walking was when I was emphasizing Baguazhang as my daily training. Granted, the amount of time I spend per day on Cosmos Palm is far, far less than the amount of time I was spending per day on Circle Walking.

There have been many kung fu specialization courses offered over the years. Even since I joined the school, there have been courses on Baguazhang, specific schools of Taijiquan, Xingyiquan, Wuzuquan, Tantui, and Five Animals, to say nothing of special skills such as Tiger Claw, Cosmos Palm, Cotton Palm, and the 36 Leg Techniques, to say nothing of the Fundamentals of Kung Fu courses held at the recent UK Summer Camps. Some folks have had the opportunity to attend many courses; back when I first started in Shaolin Wahnam back in 2011, I met folks who had four or five specialized sets under their belts.

Plenty of material on top of our basic Shaolin and Taijiquan syllabi. There is a lot to practice! Some follow-up conversations I've had in the years since have revealed to me that some folks have not trained particular things that they learnt since the course in which they learnt them. Some folks may not even be practicing material from the basic syllabus and never have.

So, what are you doing? Going deeply into one thing? Trying to juggle fifty different things and getting nowhere? Realized just now that you forgot something that you learnt three years ago? What do you want out of your practice? What's your current aim and objective?

Here are the main things I'm presently working on:
    • Force training: daily practice of Cosmos Palm and One Finger Shooting Zen.
    • Set practice: Cosmos Palm with occasional sprinkling in of Cross Road at Four Gates. I spent around two months learning the Winter Camp sets, so they're not as large a part of my training time as they used to be.
    • Application: A sequence from the Cosmos Palm set, with appropriate variations and integration to my pre-existing skill set.

This'll keep me busy for a year or two. You?
    I like making silly videos (including kung fu ones!) every so often on YouTube and taking pictures of weird things on Instagram.

Hey Fred,

I am glad I went through the 16 sequences before I learned classical sets. The skills gained from the fundamentals are the best way to internalize combat efficiency.

I've learned several sets and several more force training methods. My sets are Taming Tiger, Tiger-Crane, 18 Lohan Fist, Crossroads at Four Gates, Cosmos Palm, and Eight Trigram Staff. My force training methods are Zhan Zhuang, One Finger Zen, Tiger Claws, No Shadow Kicks, Iron Wire, Golden Bell, Marvelous Fist, Thousand Steps, Cosmos Palm. Not to mention the Qi Gong syllabus material.

It is an odd problem to have more material than you have time to train. 2010-2012 my focus was on Zhan Zhuang and One Finger Zen, then 2012 to 2014 it was on Iron Wire, then 2014-2016 it was Tiger-Claws, Shadowless Kicks, Iron Wire, Pakua Staff, and Taming Tiger/Tiger-Crane. This year I've been focused on building up my Zhan Zhuang for Golden Bell, along with Cosmos palm and Crossroads at Four gates. Thousand steps I am working into my practice again. I am always reminded of Sitaigung Ho's words to always practice One Finger Zen daily.
    Shaolin Wahnam USA

"Every morning you are born again. What you do today is the most important thing".

Comment

Glad to hear about your training, David!

Qigong syllabus material, yes, that thing...the thing that I totally haven't ignored in lieu for many years for sake of pursuing internal force for combat. That thing.

I'm in complete agreement regarding the basic Shaolin kung fu sequences. While I still haven't attended an Intensive Shaolin kung fu course (much less attended regular classes in Shaolin Wahnam for any length of time; in fact, the first time I even saw the inside of a Wahnam class was earlier this year when Chris Didyk siheng was kind enough to let me drop in), I spent about a some time trying to do silly things like learning stances, basic patterns, and the sequences from videos. Back when I first started, I spent about six months on just stances, footwork, flexibility, and Lifting the Sky, a month on Lohan Asks the Way material, then a month on each combat sequence before moving forwards to the next combat sequence. I really didn't want to overload myself with an excessive amount of new material before I really had nailed down the more fundamental and basic material.

A little difficult to learn that sort of thing on one's own and without partners, but people have been kind enough to comment on our performance in that sparring performance from two years ago. The sort of mentality I gained from training the sequences definitely benefited me in learning other sequences and sets, especially Baguazhang and now the upcoming Winter Camp sets.

It's certainly an odd problem that we have. Even with my paltry number of arts and sets compared to you. It's also a nice reminder that you bring up, of Sigung Ho's advice to train One Finger Shooting Zen daily. Regardless of whatever I train, I've found that One Finger Shooting Zen benefits everything to a greater degree than my other force training methods. Little wonder it's our "treasure."
      I like making silly videos (including kung fu ones!) every so often on YouTube and taking pictures of weird things on Instagram.

Comment

Definitely Fred. Your dedication to the basics and Baguazhang caused you to progress in combat ability so fast, you were very skilled back when we met in 2015, in 2016 you were off the charts.

I really enjoy the fundamental syllabus, it has everything! The sixteen sequences and sparring methodology are both vital to developing a framework of combat proficiency. Everything else is like gravy on top of the meat and potatoes.

I feel like I can always continue to refine the primary skills of timing and spacing, right judgement, fast decision, instant change, flowing movement and force, safe coverage, footwork adjustment, and pressing attack.

Along with the three arrivals and four modes of preparation, six harmonies, six gates, four directions of attack and defense, the sparring methodology from pre-choice to internal change and addition, and all the other principles and strategies that go into spontaneous fighting. Always refining and progressing.

I don't know where we would be without this awesome resource.

Happy training,
        David
        Shaolin Wahnam USA

"Every morning you are born again. What you do today is the most important thing".

Comment

Current focus

Training focus at the moment.... too much, as has been the unfortunate case for a looooooong long time

This month through November is prep for December's courses (learning and really drilling and chasing after as many developments within the Essence of Shaolin set prior to arriving to maximize and respect Sifu's transmission, and doing as much abdominal breathing as I can to prep for Small Universe)

I commute an hour each way to work daily so have to do my training in two chunks, a short spurt in the morning and an hour at night.

Morning: Either review my Essence progress and do some chi flow or standing meditation; or one chi kung exercise and one kung fu set (usually Five Animals set)/3-5 minutes on a sequence or portion of a set for force training. Might also do 5-10 minutes of cycling through all basic stances.

Between 7-8 PM each night:
          • Something from the Intensive Chi Kung Course for review and development
          • something from my (apparently) GIANT (for my short time in the school) repertoire of chi kung arts and techniques that I cycle daily. This is one or two exercises from all that I know and need to review consistently to up-keep and not lose. Tonight was abdominal breathing and some three levels to ground.
          • Cosmos Palm Set for force training
          • Carving out progress in learning Essence; will eventually drill each technique 10-20 times on each side to develop it deeper and ingrain it; and then work on the set in reverse or repeating techniques three time each as I go through the whole set, etc.... For now, learning it all
          • End with a chi kung exercise or short chi flow (this may also be pushed to just before bed if working on Essence goes long till the end of the hour); sometimes end with Lohan Asks the Way... because it's awesome...

On weekends I tend to review Five Animals set or some high level chi kung that needs reviewing.

Between 8-9 each night I read or learn something, which is in keeping with Shaolin Philosophy so maybe that counts too?

David, in his EXCELLENT advice and commentary above, has really convinced me to add working the basic syllabus sets and sequences (VERY rusty and incomplete in my learning, I will shamefully admit). This will most likely get worked into morning sequence work or replace the post-Essence portion of the night training.

Your previous comments have also reminded me to scratch that one finger shooting zen itch that's been growing lately... been over a week or two *GASP*

Hopefully this gives a somewhat blurry glimpse into my mangled attempt at organizing practice.

My overall current goal is prep for December; general aims are increase internal force, increase ability in performing any chi kung art I possess, develop my combat skills with sequence focus, and working on the unique skills and abilities that each kung fu set I have offers. Mostly review and further exploration, with a focus on preparation and general progression in internal and combat skills.

In any case, awesome thread that I hope others contribute to.

On a VERY personal and secret-revealing point, who here has maintained or kept-up in some serious* and honorable manner the Drunken Eight Immortals set?..... I will be watching this thread eagerly to hear if such an one is out there...

Infinite blessings and peace to alllllllllll!

Kristian

Comment

Originally posted by Kristian S. View Post
            On a VERY personal and secret-revealing point, who here has maintained or kept-up in some serious* and honorable manner the Drunken Eight Immortals set?..... I will be watching this thread eagerly to hear if such an one is out there...
            I know David's got the drunken part down !! Quite inspirational, really !

Comment

Haha, thanks for the kind commentary, David. I guess when you have nothing but the basics and one specialty, you're forced to either train that stuff or not train at all. Your dedication to Iron Wire and Hung Gar was quite noticeable as well, with rapid advancements not just in your sheer level of force, but your control as well. No Tiger Claw-induced heart attacks on my end yet!

The basics definitely have everything! I've used material from the basic sequences in sparring practitioners and even teachers from other schools. Some times I've had to dip into my Baguazhang bag of tricks, but more often than not, that's been purely because I wanted to, rather than me having to use something more sophisticated to defeat a skillful opponent.

That may be one reason why I've gravitated towards the Cosmos Palm set lately for combat application (besides just really enjoying the force training itself). A lot of the patterns and tactics feel as though they are lifted right from the basic sequences as a matter of natural progression. The fact that all of the patterns appear in the basic Shaolin syllabus doesn't hurt either; I happen to have some level of familiarity with them!

I likewise don't know where I'd be without kung fu. I've literally talked about (and even performed) kung fu at every stage of my professional development, from my college entrance exams, my medical school entrance applications, and even in applying to residency. It seems that my preceptors at every stage, even if they don't train martial arts, recognize how useful it is to stick to something for a few years or more at a time, haha.

Also glad to hear from you, Kristian! You're certainly tackling a wider spread of things, haha. All the best on tackling Essence of Shaolin and Small Universe! If I remember right, there's over a hundred combat sequences that are expected to be well prepared for that kung fu course, besides just learning the set itself (the easy part). Drilling individual techniques over and over again (not just striking, kicking, and so forth, but also footwork, specific body mechanics, and certain uses of force such as typical fajing, release force, and the like) is the root of skill. How has Essence of Shaolin been treating you, have you learnt anything yet that you can tell will become a part of your natural repertoire?

Lohan Asks the Way is a great summary of the fundamentals. For whatever reason, my forays into Taijiquan were never quite as well rewarded in the force method, while Lohan Asks the Way could more easily translate between the force and flow methods for me. While I'm not dedicating so much time to that set, back when I was first starting out, it really helped bring together the unity of stances, footwork, and body mechanics so that they could be manifested into a single pattern. In fact, the first time I "properly" performed White Snake Shoots Venom, the force was so much and surprising to me that I wound up falling out of my stance. Go figure! Wonders are found even in the basics.

Drunken Eight Immortals, that's not a set or style for which I felt much resonance. Funnily enough, I've sparred with two practitioners (one of them advanced, one of them an expert) in Drunken kung fu and it was baffling, to say the least! Here's hoping there's at least a handful of Wahnam practitioners who are willing to trade in their tea cups for wine glasses every so often! On a side note, I'm curious to know if there are any other active Circle Walkers in our school.

How about you, Fabienne, planning on learning the Drunken form? Or maybe you'd like to revisit Ng Mui's legacy?

Comment

Dear Shaolin Wahnam Family,

I really loved reading about everyone's routines, so thank you very much for those! Hopefully we can get more people to confess their practice regimens.

As for myself:
                • Force training: Either minimal or avoiding it; moving in stances (with Cloud Hands), Art of Flexibility (as gentle Chi Kung)
                • Set training: Essence of Shaolin; Glory of Shaolin Kungfu sets (currently focusing on Flower Set)
                • Combat application: Taijiquan combat sequences 1-6 (Sifu will teach us the 6th sequence next Wednesday); sporadically UK Summer Camp sequences

Dear Frederick Sisook,

Originally posted by Frederick_Chu View Post
                On a side note, I'm curious to know if there are any other active Circle Walkers in our school.
                I have been itching to learn Baguazhang and Circle Walking for over a year now. I'm hoping that Sigung decides (and is also requested!) to teach those arts in similarly extensive coverage as in the UK Summer Camp 2012. Fingers crossed for special Baguazhang (and/or Drunken Eight Immortals) intensive course in Malaysia some fine week!

With sincere respect,
                Olli

Comment

Hey Olli,

Indeed, here's hoping we can get more people to share their super secret training regimens! Thank you for sharing your methods. I've not spent a whole lot of time on Cloud Hands myself, but my siheng, Chris Didyk, spoke very favorably of Cloud Hands back in 2013, especially when combined with his own Baguazhang experience.

How are the Taijiquan combat sequences treating you? I remember back when I first started, the biggest decision for me was whether to pursue Shaolin Kung Fu or Taijiquan as my foundation before pursuing a specialty. To be honest, I think the main reason I chose Shaolin Kung Fu was for the opportunity to learn One Finger Shooting Zen, hahaha. I haven't really spent much time chatting with folks about their Taijiquan combat training. What have you learnt from them?

Likewise, how goes the Essence of Shaolin and Flower set training? Have you found the analogies and parallels from the fundamental training in those high level sets?

Glad to hear that you're interested in Baguazhang! The UK Summer Camp back in 2012 was an excellent experience and laid the groundwork for much of my skill today. Sifu's taught Baguazhang a few times since then, namely in Spain back in 2013 and then the essential Baguazhang combat sequence at the previous UK Summer Camps. Maybe some day before he retires, he can teach it again? Regardless, Shaolin kung fu is an excellent foundation for any other martial art, even the more mobile styles such as Baguazhang; I've found that the time I spent training zhan zhuang gave me both a solidity and agility not present in other practitioners that jumped straight into the Circle Walking. Definitely can't ignore the Horse Riding stance!

Comment

How has Essence of Shaolin been treating you, have you learnt anything yet that you can tell will become a part of your natural repertoire?
                    Heck yes it has!!

This set s like a textbook, nay, a grand university or hall of learning in and of itself!!

I'm one heck of a mimic and form-junky and so I tend to get the finer details, adjustments, portions of and transition movements that lie BETWEEN pattern 'ends' somewhat easily, in that I pay far more attention to them and get an obsessive reward feeling from finding them and, rarely, understanding their uses and potential application/s.

Of what I have down so far, I will be finding some excellent use out of some of the unicorn step transitions, palm deflections and covers in the middle of footwork transitions, a consistent changing of vertical levels (total body) in attack and defense at quick pace, and some GREAT recent applications I've discovered for 4 or 5 patterns against some common muay thai and BJJ and judo techniques I regularly face if I spar with my previous training partners.

Of note, this very evening, I "unlocked" a breakthrough in my understanding of Pattern #27: "Fui Xin Kicks Bushel", which, in my Five Animals brain, for some reason translates as "Crane stands among Cockerels" (not sure if someone wants to clarify here?).

With a very small detail of the movement of the lower hand under and out, in front of the left hand, I suddenly realized a profoundly simple but brilliant skill I can use in applying this kick better, and, very specifically, applying it against very close quarters, very direct and fast, straight punches (especially jabs and crosses), without the need to adjust body position or chase a retreating and bouncing opponent.... hooray!

A huge fan of this kick, I used it very extensively in my last chance to spar any Wahnam brethren during Cosmos Palm. I apologize to anyone this may have annoyed. It's a fun and easy tool to employ, especially when being overwhelmed from above with hand techniques. As I often am.

Next time we have the luck of being together, I'll show you my 2 or 3 favorite "skills" in using this technique for various situations and against specific attacks. Not that those crazy Bagua feet should be unholstered, lest the whirlwind of their working devastate this continent.

I'm very certain there will be many more epiphanies on the way. That, or my assumptive developments will be beaten into clarification in a few month's time.

Best,

Kristian

Comment

Hi Kristian,

Just wanted to say I really liked these bits and would like to hear more (on a separate thread if necessary):

in attack and defense at quick pace, and some GREAT recent applications I've discovered for 4 or 5 patterns against some common muay thai and BJJ and judo techniques I regularly face if I spar with my previous training partners.
                      With a very small detail of the movement of the lower hand under and out, in front of the left hand, I suddenly realized a profoundly simple but brilliant skill I can use in applying this kick better, and, very specifically, applying it against very close quarters, very direct and fast, straight punches (especially jabs and crosses), without the need to adjust body position or chase a retreating and bouncing opponent.... hooray!

Comment

Very keen observations, Kristian! You've come to a conclusion regarding the transitional movements that took me longer than I care to admit to even recognize existed. About a year and a half after the Baguazhang Summer Camp, I finally started realizing how Open Window Observe Moon (the first attacking pattern in the Swimming Dragon Baguazhang set) could be used to cover virtually any attack aimed above the waist, and from there, that insight spilled over several years later after getting some particular corrections regarding my Mirror Hand and Hand Sweep, which gave me a much finer appreciation for range, speed, and the timing of different patterns. It even made me look back at some Swimming Dragon patterns which I had just barely been able to utilize in the past. I'm not too ashamed to admit that some times all that was missing was a thread hand here, a taming palm there, or even just a single step off in one direction that had been eluding me for years, hahaha.

Likewise, changing height and direction has been quite the fun experiment. Back in my Kuntao days, I played around with striking high, then dropping into a kneeling stance, returning to high, then to the middle, and whatever combinations seemed fun at the time; surprisingly effective, especially against people who have not nailed down the skill of defending against attacks (be they strikes, kicks, or whatever else) from the four major directions. Basic syllabus strikes again!

Regarding that pattern #27 from the Essence of Shaolin set, it reminds me a lot of White Crane Flaps Wings, at least from the Taijiquan syllabus. In my Northern-polluted mind, Fui Xin Kicks Bushel is similarly an organ seeking kick, though with a clearing Hook Hand, haha. Ah well, different names for the same pattern, and the same name for different patterns. Regardless, it's a fun one! I've used a similar arm movement before against some boxers and kick boxers, though probably closer to the arm movement of White Horse Presents Hoof (Naughty Boy Kicks Door in Baguazhang; always a fun time with the names ) against forceful punches. We'll have to train again together some time; let me know how the knowledge-beatings go at the Essence of Shaolin course!

Welcome to the party, Drunken Boxer! How is your training going, what have you realized lately?

Comment

Welcome to the party, Drunken Boxer!
                          Thanks and hi Fred!

How is your training going
                          I would separate it into 2 aspects at the minute:

1. Force / chi flow / health / enjoying life - on these aspects I am delighted with how its going at the minute. Lots of progress (compared with myself as opposed to anyone else) in the past 2-3 years, with only one blip period of any length, which has now passed. I got serious boosts, blessings and realisations from the last couple of courses with Sifu in particular. Practising stances, chi kung, One Finger Zen every day and enjoying the practise itself and the benefits from it immensely.

2. Sets / sequence work / combat - I try to rotate practise of sets learned from Sifu in Wing Choon, Praying Mantis, Xingyiquan and Five Animals, as well as some I've learned from the other styles I have always practised. I have a couple of sequences I practise with the intention of use against other opponents such as boxers, and another series of sequences of various moves to use against boxers that I plan to turn into a set some day for future further practise and use. Have made a few contacts and sparred once with practitioners from other styles (a boxer) in the past couple of years, but not too much (covered in another thread somewhere). Been preoccupied with work, but I know many of us say that! I didn't do all that much sparring even before that!

what have you realized lately?
                          The realisation for me, also covered in another thread (called "Do you feel charged all the time") is that for "2" above to work well, ie I need "1" to be working well. I used to get periods where I felt "charged", and where I felt a lot of force (relative to me, not saying others would notice it), like 2 or 3 days here and there a couple of times within a 2 or 3 month period. Now I feel this much more regularly. When I feel charged, I feel better than I did when I was younger, feel like I could spar well, whereas on the days when I don't feel charged, I don't feel so confident. The other part of this realisation is that the best thing to do is not to chase these feelings, but just obey the golden rules ie don't worry, don't intellectualise and enjoy your practise, and I feel really happy with those three aspects at the minute.

I am also always pleased to read about the exploits of people like you guys on this thread, helps to spur the rest of us on I think.

Comment

Glad to hear you're seizing and attaining results, Drunken Boxer! I'll definitely throw my vote behind anyone wanting to train zhan zhuang and One Finger Shooting Zen everyday. Some days, the mental clarity developed from training One Finger Shooting Zen, especially, is almost painful, which tells me that I'm in an adjustment period and need to scale my training back a notch. Other times, it's quite exhilirating! I think I've mentioned to a few folks recently how the practice of One Finger Shooting Zen was like holding lightning in my hands, compared to Cosmos Palm which seemed to flow at a deeper, subtler level. I have to thank my siheng Chris Didyk for formally teaching me One Finger Shooting Zen just a few months ago; can you believe I'd gone through the past years without it?

You've also got quite the neat selection of sets! Don't suppose you feel like sharing what sort of rotation schedule you use for them? Do you often wind up training an internal force exercise that is closely "related" to those sets? In the past, when I was going to have a "Shaolin" session, I'd practice Shaolin stances, Two Finger Shooting Zen, or what-have-you, versus a "Taijiquan" session of Three Circle Stance or Lifting Water, compared to a "Baguazhang" session of Circle Walking or Baguazhang zhan zhuang, etc., but nowadays, if I can't think of what to practice, I'll default to One Finger Shooting Zen, heh.

Glad to hear that you've made some contacts! I recently moved on account of work and haven't really found anyone that I could call a regular training partner, so it looks like I'm back to practicing on my own. I hope you're able to get in some good learning experiences with your sequences and experience! Do you have a particularly favorite combat sequence? Right now, my favorite sequences seem to be a couple from Cosmos Palm (especially sequence 4 and 6) and from Baguazhang (especially sequence 7).

That "charged" feeling, the feeling of confidence (and occasionally, the feeling of arrogant invincibility) is something that's also evolved in my practice. When I first started, I felt nothing for months other than a rather subtle overall feeling of well-being. After taking the Two Finger Shooting Zen course in Gainesville, I felt like I was a burning dynamo. Then, over the years, things calmed down and began getting deeper and more subtle. And then One Finger Shooting Zen happened, like I mentioned above, hahaha. Nowadays, I'm back to a subtle overall feeling of well-being, but that feeling of well-being is informed by the memory of what has gone on before and a greater sense of confidence from what I have been able to do and what I have not been able to do in both training and sparring.

Always something to learn! Let's see if we can learn some more together.
                            Last edited by Frederick_Chu; 9 September 2017, 07:48 PM. Reason: Added links to sets.

Comment

Originally posted by drunken boxer View Post
                              Hi Kristian,

Just wanted to say I really liked these bits and would like to hear more (on a separate thread if necessary):
                              Thank you so very, very much! And, in an odd way, for being the Drunken Boxer I sought out in my first post some how haha

I've been debating making a video with these applications if I can wrangle up a willing volunteer from my training partners, but will attempt to throw some application realizations out to the people and hopefully there is something in these that resonates in some way if you are familiar with the attacks and/or positions:

1) Pattern #13 "Double Dragons Subdue Serpent"
                              - This made me instantly think "turn the small wheel to turn the bigger"; i.e. snatching like a villain the head of my opponent in order to apply controlling or damaging will against their neck, spine, and, thereby or, if they lack structural integrity, regardless of this, their entire body and even future choices as resisting or attempting to escape the hold prompts me to negate or educate choices as impossible via pain and resistance.

Had my brother, who is a fantastic wrestler, do what he does in his MMA classes to me, from standing, to side-oncoming, and even against-the-wall takedowns, clinches, and holds; EACH and EVERY time, a very simple and very easy-to-attain hold on the chin and top or back of head was enough to not only cause him to disengage the hold from the shock of the twist happening simultaneously with the grab, but gave me dominant control. We escalated speed and force, and neither made up for the gap of coverage around the head and neck.

*This was also applied on the ground in BJJ sparring and application exploration to fantastic effect and also in the Muay Thai Plum clinch (standard or side)

TRY THIS PLEASE - A caveat would be: make DARN sure your structure is sound and you are aware of the opponent attempting to shake, disrupt, control, or just generally move you off of your base to apply their throw or take down, etc.

2) Pattern #31 "Little Child Worships Buddha"

Here's where some BJJ knowledge is almost requisite:

We next went to the ground (mat) and I had him put a deep and complete triangle on my (leg triangle), even when already sunken in, my head being pulled, and the choke being applied, this worked great.

Right arm was in, left out; I reached in an arc far over to my left with my right hand, bent both elbows sharply to join and clasp the palms, brought the clasp and bent arms in as close as I could to his right controlling leg, and then arced in-up-over to the right in the circular movement that is the pattern's left-to-right arcing "chop", while simultaneously leaning to the top right corner of the position far with my body. The arm and hand movement already broke the hold before even completing; every time. Adding body-lean enhanced and even had the added benefit of "stacking" him (which usually requires getting to one's feet to apply downward weight to bend and pressure the controlling opponent). The third cool component was the end of the arc; it's a beautiful hidden strike and also opens up the side of the head or neck for striking or pressing into the ground.

Things to be aware of: BJJ is pure mechanical FLOW; this escape does not end combat unless you add strikes or manipulation of the cranium and neck or throat. This does present an opportunity for a guard-position arm bar once the opponent lets go of their initial position (easy for even a beginner-intermediate to catch you in if you stop here or don't understand what can come your way). And, finally, remember that the guard itself in BJJ is vulnerable to knees to the tail bone, groin strikes and knees, throat attacks and facial damage from fingers, being picked up and thrown or slammed down, and also any eye or rib attacks so this pattern is somewhat icing on the cake, but if you want to play by the rules, it is a more-than-viable and VERY fast and efficient escape from being in someone's guard.

*The first Double Dragons pattern can also be applied here if you get both hands on the head as your defense if you don't like Little Child Worships Buddha.

3) Pattern #37 "General Holds Horse"

Basically, to me, this was a kung fu stepping-hook from pure boxing. The added bridge hand, side-step into stance and rounded arcing reach of the punching arm gave me the following realization: PERFECT answer for a muay thai plum. So, we tried it:

* I will preface this by saying, a very simple but deeply-driven-in precious duck punch (with emphasis on sinking stance and steppinginto and deeeeeply THROUGH the opponent's center and structure as a whole) does the trick very nicely....We discovered, similarly, that "Hang a Golden star at Corner" does too, only.... it doesn't just end the combat if applied correctly and powerfully. It has the EASY potential to reach behind the head with the exposed knuckles and strike very soundly the lower-back-side of the back of the head or corner of the skull by the neck. This can kill. The thai clinch (standard, frontal variation) welcomes this in a grievously impermissible and suicidal manner. Discussed this with my silat and kick-boxing teacher and we tested the position and opening and, by god, I m no longer clinching if I can avoid it. Variations on this are also numerous and the danger factor only exponentially increases if you consider them.

When my brother put me in the clinch, just the side-step into stance with a strong controlling palm being placed on the side of his head was not only enough to prevent the knees that follow almost immediately from one ending up in the plum, but also gave me such control that I could throw him off and release the hold.

I then used two hands to realize the above-mentioned double-dragons control.

I also tried just the punch from this pattern and, I don;t know about a horse, but any general using this doesn't need to hold. The principle is similarly combat-ending as the hanging star horn punch above, only the bridge hand can help release the clinch and the more squared-up hook is better for a knock-out punch as the elbow bend aims it closer to the chin or temple than back of head. I suppose you could also hook the neck and cause some serious trouble. But, whereas the opponent is attempting to seize and steer your body via your neck in the clinch (their elbows tight on it, bending your body forward to kill your alignment and strength, and torquing and pulling your head down and all around to disrupt your posture as knees fly into you, and take-downs become available to them on top of these), you simply prevent, move out of the way without resisting their strength-direction/s, and initiate your attack or murder (heaven forbid) without waiting for or worrying about their counter strategy to your positional change. Just punch and end it/them.

Beautiful simple, and a stark illustration of my LOW IQ for not "getting it" till now haha I LVOE muay thai and we both practice it regularly (him more than myself) but there are holes and gaps I don't (can't either) deny in that game.

Muay Boron, maybe, might have a better problem to present (muay thai is the modern sport version of the older art and martial system). Still dangerous

BTW, I know it was #1, but Double Dragons Subdue Serpent... my GOODNESS! Judo arm drags and hip-tosses; double-leg takedowns from wrestling and ankle-picks; headlocks and wild swinging punches from the street; all very effectively answered by this one skill (a patern, I GUESS, but so many little steps and potential uses, that I prefer it a "skill" when referencing these applications)

And, finally, 4) Pattern 27 "Fui Xin Kicks Bushel "

This is maybe gonna be a dooooozy to explain, but here goes:

standard, left-lead orthodox boxing opponent throws jab, double-jab, cross, step-in cross, or jab-cross combination while coming in directly on you, stepping-off to either angle, or starting close-range and backing up with the strike or combination. You reply with this pattern, make sure you don't miss or lose balance, and go home to enjoy the rest of your night.

For me, and for my poor understanding, an application that necessitates timing* and aim above all.

What I mentioned about the threading was that I had usually always thrown this pattern as the hands striking out or deflecting other hands that are bridged to mine or holding me, to dislodge the grip or push away the bridge before delivering the kick home.

However, with this new insight and sudden clarifying of view of potential, I 'dip' the right hand under and THEN up to cross in front of my left, and then OUT far, and with strength, then deliver the left kick.

Scenario: the boxer throws a hard and quickly-returning-to-chamber jab (left), while stepping-off to my right. OR it is a hard cross with the same fottwork and direction. I forcefully RAISE and 'wipe' my pseudo-mirror hand (right, described above) to parry as I would before but also chase after and PUSH at the arm to follow it or get it out of the way, following the opponent's moving body so I have control that ignores range if I merely deflected or parried away. By fully extending as needed I can clear, prevent, or press away even an arm that is actively chambering itself for another strike. As both of my hands are moving out, I can follow an opponent leaning, shifting, or stepping-off to either side or even back (within a certain distance back) and still be "applying" this arm cover and press.

I still (in this right-hand-on-top mode) will kick with the left foot, even if the opponent is stepping-off to my right, either completely sideways or diagonally into me to the right 'corner'. This is because the right leg allows me to pivot to chase the opponent's moving body while my chasing right arm can help that swivel or weight distribution work effectively. If moving into me and to the left or at all left, then they will catch the full brunt of the kick. Even if this does not damage or lead to anything combat-ending, it protects my "bubble" and I don;t have to move to chase the opponent, the technique has provision for it built-in, though at first it seems paralyzingly stationary as a crane-kick.

*This is against a boxer. Against anyone skilled in grappling and/or kicks, this can still work, but a situation so specific is unwarranted. The application would be kick. Or tame/open and kick. Situational difference will dictate the variables therein.

A runner-up is pattern #14 "Hungry Tiger Pulls Goat"

I will most likely have to wait until the course for this one, but attempted it against boxing jabs and crosses. It "worked" but never made contact. Even the first time; it was easily covered as any decent boxer, when having his jab parried, also makes sure to cover for uppercuts. My normal boxing parries are either strike ("true cross") over and through the punch (direct counter, no defense), strike the attacking hand or arm, or use the conventional press/slap-away parry. I used the top hand of this technique to press down the incoming punch while I stepped deeeeply into the opponent's center to execute the other upward strike and it was very simply covered with a palm. This strategy is commonly done with standard boxing parry and uppercut combos anyway; they may have just slipped into my subconscious.

I CAN see this, because of the deep footwork and stance pressure applied to the opponent*, creating the opening for other techniques to get through, but, as is, for my level now, I don;t yet have a good question to which this is an answer for me that's viable in my incompetent hands.*...more training is necessary....

In any case, I hope this novel was as terrible a read as it sounded in my brain. A video, in retrospect, would have been SOOOO much nicer. But, then, I am working on my manners.

Look forward to any feedback or commentary.

Best of the best of the very, very best,

Kristian

Comment

Working...
                              X