Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Internal Force Methods: History, Development, and Experiences

Dear Shaolin Wahnam Family,

Let's have a good discussion on our magnificient ways of generating internal force. HRAA-AARGGHHH!

Secrets of Building Internal Force Q&A
    covers many good topics. Flowing-Force to Consolidated-Force in Various Kungfu Styles is another classic.

I have arranged the two categories of force in chronological order as in to highlight their development. The list is not meant to be exhaustive, but showcase significant generalities and distinct qualities of force.

Flowing Force
    San Zhan of Wuzuquan (Bai Yu Feng during Yuan Dynasty in 13th to 14th century)
    Flow method (Zhang San Feng)
    Circulating-Chi method or "Drunken" Flow method (Zhang San Feng's Dragon Force?)
    *Cosmos Palm (It might be impossible to pinpoint when it became an established internal method in Shaolin Monastery, but I suspect after Zhang San Feng)
    Cotton Palm (Almost certainly a fairly late art after the time of Zhang San Feng)
    Dragon Strength (I presume this is the youngest, a secret heritage of the Southern Shaolin Temple)

Consolidated Force
    Stance training (ancient heritage at least dating back to the Warring States period)
    Sinew Metamorphosis (Bodhidharma)
    Force method ("performing sequences as a single breath", assuming this is a genuine Shaolin training invention)
    Black Tortoise method (Zhang San Feng?)
    Triple-Stretch method (Quanzhou Southern Shaolin Temple)
    Iron Wire method (Tit Kiew Sam in around 1850s?)

All these skills may have existed earlier than any written history indicates, but the concern here was establishing when they became systematically trained Shaolin (or Wudang) Arts.

The usual caveats apply: all other things are equal and the methods are performed naturally. It bears to emphasize that there are no purely flowing or consolidated methods and that this overall division is a matter of convenience.

There are two clear historical turns that affected the development of Internal Martial Arts. The first was the incredible legacy of the Shaolin Patriarch Bodhidharma whose Sinew Metamorphosis inspired the Triple-Stretch method and the subsequent Iron Wire method. The second was the Taoist and Shaolin master, the Patriarch of Internal Arts, Zhang San Feng who introduced the triple cultivation of essence, energy, and mind.

Because energy flow is the greatest heritage of Shaolin Wahnam so far, it is no wonder that the flowing force methods have become very prominent in our School. There is also another reason for this: Sigung has commented that the flow method is the key for attaining the peak of spiritual cultivation through the conversion of all consolidated force to flowing force.

What are the benefits of each type of force? Flowing force is easier and safer to develop, while consolidated force is more powerful. The flowing force is also much more versatile in both daily life and combat. Thus it seems favorable to first develop flowing force, then focus on consolidated force for developing more power and skills, and finally focus on the intricacies of the flowing force again.

You can clearly observe that the Taoist (or Wudang) contribution to the consolidated force is minimal for only introducing the Black Tortoise method. This shows the difference in the Taoist and Shaolin traditions. In Taoism the elemental process of water is a prominent part of their philosophy and doctrines, so they have taken its flowing characteristic as their focus in martial arts. The Zen or Ch'an Buddhism takes a different route that is already apparent in its name. Ch'an literally means meditative concentration, which entails the technical depth of mind cultivation. This quote from Sigung's Hawaii Zen Q&A is right on for its explanation of how consolidated force relates to concentrated mental focus:

Zen cultivation is involved in both generating flowing force and building consolidated force, though the nature and function of the cultivation may be different. In both case, mental clarity and mental focus are required. In mathematical terms, in flowing force the mind is reduced to zero, and in consolidated force the mind is reduced to one.
    A good intuitive way to characterize flowing force is thus that it is eager to suffuse every part of the exponent's body and spirit, which exactly corresponds to mind expanding to zero, while consolidated force stays focused in specific energetic pathways, which is focusing on one. In this view the Black Tortoise method is quite special for consolidation because its gradual training keeps the expansive flow of movements intact, yet produces a powerful force glaciation. Sinew Metamorphosis is famous for its tremendous internal force flowing on specific meridians which can actually be quite many, hence making it quite wholistic. The Triple-Stretch method made it possible to channel similar localized internal force even more wholesomely, which contributed greatly to the development of awesome combat efficiency and vitality of its practitioners in the era of Southern Shaolin Temples.

The more advanced Circulating-Chi methods in the flowing force are reserved for masters for two good reasons, namely requiring an adequate reserve of energy for circulation and having mature enough mind skills to control the ensuing torrent of chi efficiently and safely.

The history and development of Dragon Force in either Shaolin or Taoist tradition is shrouded in mystery, as it is (and was!) a highly secretive skill. Sigung has written in many occasions that Zhang San Feng was highly skilled in Dragon Force. I have been asking myself which patterns or skills in our Wudang Taijiquan set train Dragon Force and whether there might be any systematic method in Wahnam Taijiquan in general to learn it. I only know that Blue Dragon Emerges from Water and Cloud Hands are supposed to be good for developing Dragon Force. Does anyone have a clue?

Do you generally favor flowing or consolidated force? Do you have a favorite force training method or any interesting experiences you would like to share?

Flowing force feels very natural to me. Currently I am enjoying the treasures taught in the Cotton Palm course, in particular Cloud Hands while walking in stances. Consolidated force is admittedly a bit exotic to me, so I hope that during the next year I shall learn more of it and see if I like it as much as flowing force.

It is truly remarkable that we have so many methods available to us to experience the wonders of internal force. We inherit a rich legacy, so let us be wise and make noble use of it!

With sincere respect,
    Olli
    Last edited by understanding; 8 August 2017, 05:59 PM. Reason: some minor corrections

Hi Olli,

Originally posted by understanding View Post
    Dear Shaolin Wahnam Family,

All these skills may have existed earlier than any written history indicates, but the concern here was establishing when they became systematically trained Shaolin (or Wudang) Arts.
    I think they have always been systematically trained Shaolin arts because they are all derived from masters of the Shaolin lineage.

The usual caveats apply: all other things are equal and the methods are performed naturally. It bears to emphasize that there are no purely flowing or consolidated methods and that this overall division is a matter of convenience.
    True, even in Iron Wire, my favorite method which is mostly consolidation, some of the combat expressions of the twelve bridges can most effectively be used in flowing applications and skills such as chuin kiew or inch bridge, yow kiew soft bridge, wan kiew circulate bridge, and ding kiew matching bridge. Also of course the flow method works great with Iron Wire as well.

Do you generally favor flowing or consolidated force? Do you have a favorite force training method or any interesting experiences you would like to share?
    I like flowing and consolidation both as needed. I consolidate more though because I mostly practice things like Iron Wire, Zhan Zhuang, and Cosmos Palm.

Take care,
    David
    Shaolin Wahnam USA

"Every morning you are born again. What you do today is the most important thing".

Comment

Working...
    X