Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Modern Scholarship - Web Programming

I would advise a good grounding in the basics before ever touching frameworks.

Happy to help answer any questions you might have while learning, or review your code.

Best wishes,

George
    George / Юра
    Shaolin Wahnam England

gate gate pāragate pārasaṁgate bodhi svāhā

A little bit of theory

When thinking about web development it is useful to split the various technologies into 2 categories: client-side (AKA front-end) and server-side (AKA back-end). The former is stuff that is processed by your browser and the latter is what runs on the web server that the browser will connect to to get the client-side stuff that it will then process.

Client-side

HTML

Hypertext Markup Language (HTML) is what is known as a "markup language". Basically it contains instructions on how the browser should present a page.

These days, it is mainly concerned with providing structure for the web page.

It is not a programming language.

CSS

Cascading Style Sheets (CSS) is what is known as a "style sheet language". It's function is to describe the presentation (formatting) of an HTML document.

HTML pages will include CSS code (either directly or by reference to a separate CSS file on the web server).

It is not a programming language.

JavaScript

JavaScript is a programming language that be used to interact with your page and do lots of other cool stuff.

It allows your page to change based on various factors.

It is not necessary to use JavaScript to make a website if your content and / or presentation does not need to change in the browser based on user actions or other factors. (And yes, you can and should make responsive pages with HTML and CSS alone. )

Server-side

A "static" website is just a collection of files on a web server. These files can be HTML, CSS, pictures videos etc. but the common theme is that the browser requests a file and the web server provides it. That is it.

A web server is a program that does exactly this - serve files. Common server applications include Apache and Nginx.

If simple file serving is not enough, then other technologies can come into play.

PHP

PHP is a programming language that is typically used to generate HTML pages based on logic and various factors (AKA state).

Web pages have a unique address (AKA a URL). Whereas static sites will always return the same page for a given URL using something like PHP means that the page returned can be different (AKA dynamic).

Database

A database in an application that stores data. You can store and retrieve this data from you application or script (i.e. your PHP script).

There are many database application and several different types of databases - this is a field of study in itself.

Common databases (in my order of preference) are SQLite and MySQL.
    Last edited by George; Today at 12:32 PM.
    George / Юра
    Shaolin Wahnam England

Now, press F12 in your browser. Welcome to the Matrix.
    George / Юра
    Shaolin Wahnam England

I was going to suggest Udacity also, as I've done a couple courses there and they were quite good, short videos. Not sure if there are about web development, but I'm pretty sure there is.

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post

Server-side

A "static" website is just a collection of files on a web server. These files can be HTML, CSS, pictures videos etc. but the common theme is that the browser requests a file and the web server provides it. That is it.

A web server is a program that does exactly this - serve files. Common server applications include Apache and Nginx.

If simple file serving is not enough, then other technologies can come into play.

PHP

PHP is a programming language that is typically used to generate HTML pages based on logic and various factors (AKA state).

Web pages have a unique address (AKA a URL). Whereas static sites will always return the same page for a given URL using something like PHP means that the page returned can be different (AKA dynamic).
    May I also suggest, for people who're really serious about learning programming, C#, which is more generic and modern programming language, and which not only allows you to write websites like PHP, but also can be used for any kind of application, be it web, mobile, desktop, even IoT. So, if you learn it, not only you can write websites, but any kind of application

It is a very popular language, so I'm pretty sure most of the online learning places people are sharing should contain introduction and advanced materials for C#.

But yes, not needed if you just want to write client-side websites

Quote Originally Posted by rodrigo View Post
    May I also suggest, for people who're really serious about learning programming, C#, which is more generic and modern programming language, and which not only allows you to write websites like PHP, but also can be used for any kind of application, be it web, mobile, desktop, even IoT. So, if you learn it, not only you can write websites, but any kind of application
    Hey Rodrigo, from the perspective of those of us who have done older or more obscure languages, I was going to say that one reason php is a good choice is that in syntax for basic coding it seems similar to C#, java, C, C++. On the other hand that makes C# a good choice too! If I could choose, I would prefer to be proficient in C# than php, but there seem to be lots of resources around to help novices learn php in conjunction with web technology, I am not sure if that is the same for C#? (I don't know the answer, it is a genuine question.) Also, by using a proprietary language like C# would that tie us to Microsoft? Again I don't know the answer, just enquiring your opinion.