Modern Scholarship - Web Development

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Frameworks

Since frameworks have been mentioned several times, I would like to take the opportunity to offer some advice to any aspiring developer, web or otherwise.

When it comes to using frameworks (and here I also include libraries) there are 2 groups of people: those who choose to use a framework and those who have to use a framework.

If you aspire to be more than average then be sure you are always striving to be in the first group. If there is still "magic" in anything your framework, or library, does then you are still not there yet.
    Last edited by George; 18 October 2017, 01:32 PM.
    George / Юра
    Shaolin Wahnam England

gate gate pāragate pārasaṁgate bodhi svāhā

Comment

Oh, yes. I'm all over that. If someone knows of a gridfroggy game, do share it. I've tried some JS games, like codewars, but all their "beginner" JS problems have always been beyond where I'm at.

(edit: http://cssgridgarden.com)

When it comes to using frameworks (and here I also include libraries) there are 2 groups of people: those who choose to use a framework and those who have to use a framework.

If you aspire to be more than average then be sure you are always striving to be in the first group.
      Thanks for reinforcing this important point, George.

My take on Grid and Flexbox is that they are both useful, depending on your circumstances...For the purposes of this thread though, learn them both - they are the future.
      Last edited by Andrew R; 18 October 2017, 05:23 PM.
      Love, and do what you will.

- St. Augustine

Comment

Good JS Course

To go on a Javascript tangent, last week I started a Javascript course at watchandcode.com

It is far better than other JS courses I have done.

I completed one JS course at codecademy.com, stopped a different one at the same site because it was so confusing, finished the JS tutorial and beginner problem set at freecodecamp.com and have sampled some other sites, but none of them have helped me to tie everything together, really understand every line of code I'm writing and understand how to apply JS to a project the way watchandcode has.

I won't go into more detail here, but if anyone decides to give Javascript a try, I definitely recommend watchandcode.

- St. Augustine

Comment

Markus Sisook, the Winter Camp site looks great. If I read the DOM correctly you used Bootstrap to build it, is that correct?
          - Thanks. Gotta say, due to time constraints I used EVERY possible shortcut there is, starting from downloadable templates.

It's ok, but the upcoming Shaolin Nordic website will definitely be as good as I can make it.

And, to answer your question, the template I used does indeed employ bootstrap. But when I build something properly from the ground up, I don't.

Best wishes,
          Markus Kahila
          Shaolin Nordic Finland

www.shaolin-nordic.com

Comment

Easy Layout Shifts With CSS Grid

I've been playing around with CSS Grid, and even with the basics it's really useful. One of my favorites so far is how easy it is to shift the page layout to adapt to screen sizes.

This page demonstrates the feature of setting grid area names. After making your grid and assigning names to the different areas, you can assign content to those areas very easily. I made an example on Codepen of how easy it is to change from having text wrap around an image to having the image pop below the text for a mobile device.

Resize your browser window, and once it reaches a width of 600px or smaller the image should go below the text. If you know how to do this without using grid please let me know! I don't know how to do that otherwise, except for creating a separate page just for mobile.

- St. Augustine

Comment

You can use media queries in your css file to auto size things based upon the size of the screen.

Comment

You can use media queries in your css file to auto size things based upon the size of the screen.
                But can you have content move to a different position, not just change size?

- St. Augustine

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew R View Post
                  If you know how to do this without using grid please let me know!
                  I know this is just a little test page, but if you plan to show your image at the bottom on phones then you should put it like so in your HTML source, as per "mobile-first" design principle. In this way, you would not even need the grid on a mobile device and all that extra CSS code can go inside the "@media screen" which should also then have "min-width: 600px" instead of "max-width".

At the moment your page structure (without considering CSS) says: show image first then text which is in conflict with what you are trying to do.
                  George / Юра
                  Shaolin Wahnam England

Comment

Thanks, George.

After I move the image below the text in the HTML, how would I then have the image move up and have the text wrap around it on larger screens, the way it is in the Codepen I posted?

- St. Augustine

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew R View Post
                      Thanks, George.

After I move the image below the text in the HTML, how would I then have the image move up and have the text wrap around it on larger screens, the way it is in the Codepen I posted?
                      I wouldn't - I would have the image on top on smaller screens and float to right on larger screens, which is the simplest and most straight-forward way of doing it.

But if I really really really had to do what you are doing, then I would cheat: https://gir.me.uk/files/tmp/20171103...andbox/01.html
                      George / Юра
                      Shaolin Wahnam England

Comment

Web Development Games

Here's a list of some more online games for learning Web Development. I started playing Code Combat this evening, which is actually really useful for someone totally new to JS to become familiar with JS syntax and the type of logic it uses.

A collection of browser games for web developers and coders that you can use to improve your JavaScript, CSS and HTML skills.

- St. Augustine

Comment

Hello folks, hope this isn't too far off topic but if it is I could make another thread. I was just wondering, we have a java based system, but using old frameworks for the front end and there is currently a debate at work about whether we switch to angular, react or vue for our front end framework. Any thoughts/suggestions? Given the type of company it is, the answer will come from those three at least in the short/medium term and we will be sticking with java too, though feel free to suggest outside of those.

Comment

Originally posted by drunken boxer View Post
                            there is currently a debate at work about whether we switch to angular, react or vue for our front end framework. Any thoughts/suggestions?
                            I recently started moving away from AngularJS (i.e. the original one) to Vue and I am very happy about it. I was making the choice of between Vue and React and chose the former because, from people's feedback is that Vue provides most of React's features without most of the complexity (build tooling, choosing and assembling React pieces).
                            George / Юра
                            Shaolin Wahnam England

Comment

Originally posted by George View Post

I recently started moving away from AngularJS (i.e. the original one) to Vue and I am very happy about it. I was making the choice of between Vue and React and chose the former because, from people's feedback is that Vue provides most of React's features without most of the complexity (build tooling, choosing and assembling React pieces).
                              Thanks George, I was very pleased to read this. From what I've read, and from seeing small presentations from advocates for all 3, this fits with the impression I have got. Vue would get my vote based on what I've seen. You may not think this is a good reason, but in a lot of the places I've worked, they have used complex or proprietary tools sitting on top of other things, abstracting things away, and it has taught me to prefer stuff that is slightly nearer the metal. Reason being when I've done courses, or when I've seen what other people in other companies do, some seem to use a language plus just html, css and javascript yet build things nicer and faster, with better educated developers, than we've done. Reviews of Angular vs React vs Vue said you needed less time to learn it than the other two, but you needed more knowledge of JS, CSS etc which is why I liked the sound of it better. But I've spent most of my career not doing much web or front end stuff so that viewpoint may be wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by drunken boxer View Post
                                in a lot of the places I've worked, they have used complex or proprietary tools sitting on top of other things, abstracting things away, and it has taught me to prefer stuff that is slightly nearer the metal.
                                I share your preference and I think you will like Vue - it is entirely possible to use it as is with 0 build tools.
                                George / Юра
                                Shaolin Wahnam England

Comment

Working...
                                X