Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Modern Scholarship - Web Development

Frameworks

Since frameworks have been mentioned several times, I would like to take the opportunity to offer some advice to any aspiring developer, web or otherwise.

When it comes to using frameworks (and here I also include libraries) there are 2 groups of people: those who choose to use a framework and those who have to use a framework.

If you aspire to be more than average then be sure you are always striving to be in the first group. If there is still "magic" in anything your framework, or library, does then you are still not there yet.
    Last edited by George; 18th October 2017 at 01:32 PM.
    George / Юра
    Shaolin Wahnam England

gate gate pāragate pārasaṁgate bodhi svāhā

Oh, yes. I'm all over that. If someone knows of a gridfroggy game, do share it. I've tried some JS games, like codewars, but all their "beginner" JS problems have always been beyond where I'm at.

(edit: http://cssgridgarden.com)

When it comes to using frameworks (and here I also include libraries) there are 2 groups of people: those who choose to use a framework and those who have to use a framework.

If you aspire to be more than average then be sure you are always striving to be in the first group.
    Thanks for reinforcing this important point, George.

My take on Grid and Flexbox is that they are both useful, depending on your circumstances...For the purposes of this thread though, learn them both - they are the future.
    Last edited by Andrew R; 18th October 2017 at 05:23 PM.
    Love, and do what you will.

- St. Augustine

Good JS Course

To go on a Javascript tangent, last week I started a Javascript course at watchandcode.com

It is far better than other JS courses I have done.

I completed one JS course at codecademy.com, stopped a different one at the same site because it was so confusing, finished the JS tutorial and beginner problem set at freecodecamp.com and have sampled some other sites, but none of them have helped me to tie everything together, really understand every line of code I'm writing and understand how to apply JS to a project the way watchandcode has.

I won't go into more detail here, but if anyone decides to give Javascript a try, I definitely recommend watchandcode.
    Love, and do what you will.

- St. Augustine

Markus Kahila is offline Sifu Markus Kahila - Instructor, Shaolin Wahnam Finland
    Markus Sisook, the Winter Camp site looks great. If I read the DOM correctly you used Bootstrap to build it, is that correct?
    - Thanks. Gotta say, due to time constraints I used EVERY possible shortcut there is, starting from downloadable templates.

It's ok, but the upcoming Shaolin Nordic website will definitely be as good as I can make it.

And, to answer your question, the template I used does indeed employ bootstrap. But when I build something properly from the ground up, I don't.

Best wishes,
    Markus Kahila
    Shaolin Nordic Finland

www.shaolin-nordic.com