Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Modern Scholarship - Web Development

The Proposal

Thanks to everyone that has weighed in so far. Now that we've had some input from our local computer wizards, I would like to propose a scholarly challenge for those that decide to learn HTML/CSS (at this point basically Paul and me ).

In three months, learn HTML/CSS and build a website from scratch.

I'm going with three months to allow flexibility for learning speeds and various life circumstances. George said it could be done in a total of 14 - 28 hours. If we say 28 hours, at one hour per day, that's a month, so allowing three months should offer plenty of cushion, but not too much.

The resources you decide to use to learn the material are up to you. Some good ones have been mentioned in this thread and any of them will teach you almost everything you need to know to meet the requirements of this challenge. Regardless of what you decide to use in the end, they will at least be good starting points. Also, Google.

Questions can of course be placed here and, if you are so inclined, video chat with some techy Shaolin siblings can be very beneficial.

Requirements

- A navigation bar with basic CSS animation when the cursor hovers over the links
    - Headings
    - Paragraphs
    - Internal and external links
    - Pictures
    - One embedded video
    - Website must be mobile responsive
    - Host your website on GitHub

That's it!

The challenge will start Saturday August 5, 2017 and final websites will be due Saturday November 4, 2017.
    Love, and do what you will.

- St. Augustine

Hi Andrew I think it might be just you for now! I would be lucky to put in 1 hour per week at the minute let alone 1 hour per day. Working long hours, but also we have been mandated to do some reading and training outside of work toward our objectives which takes up the time I would otherwise use on this. I have 6 books to get through to meet this objective, and am currently about halfway through the 2nd one of them.

I can't really plan it well, but what I will try to do at some point is work out which of the training resources mentioned here are the fastest to work through, and try to go through the fastest one. Then maybe the next one and so on, depending on how far I get. It is not really in the spirit you intended but is probably the best I can do for now.

If for example I get on top of work one week, then on a saturday morning I get through a couple of hours of my extra work reading in the morning, I will try to spend a couple of hours on one of those training resources in the afternoon. Or better yet if I could set aside a whole day for a kind of bootcamp/dojo/hackathon type attempt at it, but don't know when at the minute.

And thus, the web dev challenge has come to an end. It lived a short yet fulfilling life, and will now enjoy its next phase in another plane of existence.

If one day you do find the time, Paul, I think working through either the Codecademy or FreeCodeCamp course would be the fastest. Given the fact that you're already a tech professional, you should be able to burn through it. The page that George linked to I would say has more clarity and depth regarding content, but will take more time to work through.

Andrew

- St. Augustine

Oh, you're not going ahead with it yourself Andrew? Sorry I couldn't join at the present time on reasonable terms. And surprised that no one else has expressed an interest!

I know there are loads of techie people in Wahnam, but also I know there are loads more people who are interested in building websites, in using tools to work with web content etc, thought they would have liked a chance to have a look "under the bonnet". Maybe the thread has just not reached them yet?

(One "web" observation of mine is that some people are more active in posting kungfu stuff on facebook than on here, so maybe that is how to reach them. Personally I don't like facebook but I seem to be in a small minority of global citizens with that!)

I'm still continuing my personal web development studies. Actually I took a step back from the FreeCodeCamp Javascript course to work on learning some CS foundation. I liked the learning guide from GitHub that Alex posted, so I'm slowly going to make my way through the "Get Job Ready" route since it covers more than enough for my needs, and then also working out of this online book: Learn Enough To Be Dangerous

Maybe in the future some more people will get interested in web development and we can give it another go. My guess is a lot of people make the same assumption I made before learning any web dev: must be difficult! This is ***FALSE*** and also a good example of why it's foolish to make assumptions.

It's been said several times in this thread, but learning and using HTML/CSS really is quite simple.

- St. Augustine

Well, if/when I do get some time free from the current grind from my 'day' job, and have a go at some of this stuff, I will post an update on here. Maybe we can do this project in a couple of months time or, if you have progressed beyond it, a different CS challenge. I really liked the Arduino/C course from Coursera as it was one month long max and really well paced, ie a couple of hours a week would do it, or a whole weekend if you really went at it. I'd be looking for similar length courses on aspects of web dev.

For CS fundamentals, I have not done this whole course, but I watched the first couple of lectures. They are long (an hour I think) but the lecturer blew me away with his enthusiasm, showed me how these Harvard types are different class:
    https://www.edx.org/course/introduct...harvardx-cs50x

In case it is of interest, and for those who might know, the next thing I have to learn and use for work, is JSP. I have found a good tutorial online for it I think, and a good book, but am not too far into it. I am wondering if I could come at this website challenge and try to write one in JSP? (I don't know if that is wise or possible, ie is it lightweight enough for an individual to do that, or is it the sort of thing that only a company would use to write their website)? Better yet if I can do it and learn an MVC platform at the same time.

Failing that, Andrew I have quite a clear plan for my studying now, and I do reach HTML, CSS and Javascript at some point so maybe we can talk again about a challenge in those at that point.

Viewport Unit Based Sizing

I recently learned about a CSS feature that allows you to size elements on your page based on the size of the viewing screen/window:

https://zellwk.com/blog/viewport-based-typography/

Thus far it looks like a really useful tool for simplifying mobile-responsive layouts, since every element whose size you define with one of these new measurements will automatically resize based on the viewing window. To test it out I used it to build a simple one page site. If you resize your browser window, everything on the page will automatically resize. The downside of using only, say, the "vw" unit (percentage of viewport width) is that on a desktop screen everything can start to look too big if the browser window is expanded fully, and it could look too small on a phone. But, the link above explains an easy fix for that.

Here's the site I made:

https://seenordrew.github.io/samusharpening/

It's still best to have one page layout for mobile devices and one for computers, but this should really simplify the process!

- St. Augustine

Grid Layout

Has anyone built a page using grid layout yet? I just watched this presentation from June of this year about it, and it is a HUGE step forward in making designing pages easier and better.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kVeCqQCxlk

- St. Augustine

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew R View Post
    Has anyone built a page using grid layout yet?
    Grids are a very common pattern in laying out the page - all the major frameworks use them. The idea itself is not new at all: it was borrowed from the newspaper publishing industry that lays out printed content in a grid. Even back in the bad old days when everyone was laying out web pages using tables it was still the same basic idea (although the term "grids" was not invented yet).

Modern frameworks allow for an incredible amount of flexibility with responsive grids:

https://getbootstrap.com/docs/4.0/layout/grid/
    George / Юра
    Shaolin Wahnam England

gate gate pāragate pārasaṁgate bodhi svāhā