Glory of Kungfu course preparation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good points, Anton!

I've never actually thought about most sets in terms of level or sophistication, I've always considered them more like a platform for developing skills and application. However, you're absolutely right - some patterns, applications and strategies are definitely harder to practice putting to use than others. For example, I still feel daunted even by the thought of trying to use the patterns Travelling Dragon Set for weapon sparring even though I've learned the set well. It's footwork is ludicrously intricate.

So, based on my practice of these sets, I'd rank them by level as follows.

1. Dragon Set
    2. Monkey Set
    3. Flower Set
    4. 72 Tiger-Crane
    5. Five Elemental Continous Fist of Xingyiquan

Arguments: In Dragon set, many of the key patterns require considerable internal force and skill in applying internal force to be able to be used effectively. Same with the Monkey, but perhaps to a slightly lesser degree. The Flower Set is long and sophisticated, but contains many patterns and applications which are quite simple and direct, and relatively easy to learn and use. Same with the 72 pattern Tiger Crane set, but I've placed the Flower set above it due to its bigger range of techniques, hand forms, footwork and application. The Five Elemental Continuous Fist of Xingyiquan may be rich in application, but compared to the other sets in this list in my opinion it is quite simple and direct.

Looking forward to see other comments and ideas on this!

Best wishes,
    Markus Kahila
    Shaolin Nordic Finland

www.shaolin-nordic.com

Comment

An addition to my previous reply:

As a term used with kungfu sets, I see "advanced" might be looked at from two different perspectives: How advanced can a set be considered in itself, or how advanced does a set require its practitioner to be in order to be used as intended.

In my answer, I listed the sets based on both considerations.

Best wishes,
      Last edited by Markus Kahila; 15 January 2018, 01:49 PM.
      Markus Kahila
      Shaolin Nordic Finland

www.shaolin-nordic.com

Comment

Xingyiquan Five Element Continuous Fist set

Dear family and course participants,

here is the last set!
        Luckily, this is a short set, I'll be posting it in two parts.

Xingyiquan Five Element Continuous Fist set - part 1 slow motion

Xingyiquan Five Element Continuous Fist, performed by Grandmaster Wong Kiew Kit

Xingyiquan Five Element Continuous Fist pattern by pattern

Enjoy!

Best wishes,

Nessa
        Nessa Kahila
        Shaolin Nordic Finland
        Instructor
        nessa@shaolin-nordic.com

www.shaolin-nordic.com

Comment

Xingyiquan Five Element Continuous Fist set

Dear family and course participants,

Sifu has kindly commented on this last set:

Both Xingyiquan and Eagle Claw Kungfu were invented by the great Song Marshal Yue Fei. Both were from Shaolin Kungfu, but Xingyiquan is known as kungfu for generals, whereas Eagle Claw Kungfu is known as kungfu for ordinary soldiers.

Why is Xingyiquan kungfu for generals, and Eagle Claw kungfu for ordinary soldiers? It is because Xingyiquan is profundity in simplicity. In Xingyiquan an exponent must be profound first, then he makes his profundity simple. In other words, Xingyiquan is simple not because the exponent does not know a lot of profound skills and techniques. It is because he knows a lot of profound skills and techniques, he simplifies them so that they become very simple. Five-Element Continuous Fist is representative of Xingyiquan.
          There is only two days before this course starts, so I'll post the last part of the set as well.
          I hope everyone is prepared, this will surely be quite the course!

Xingyiquan Five Element Continuous Fist - Part 2 in slow motion

Xingyiquan Five Element Continuous Fist, performed by Grandmaster Wong Kiew Kit

Xingyiquan Five Element Continuous Fist pattern by pattern

Best wishes,

Nessa
          Nessa Kahila
          Shaolin Nordic Finland
          Instructor
          nessa@shaolin-nordic.com

www.shaolin-nordic.com

Comment

By the way, during our tours in Finland this weekend Sifu just told which he thinks is the most advanced one of the five sets we’ll start learning tomorrow.

Any guesses?

Best wishes,
            Markus Kahila
            Shaolin Nordic Finland

www.shaolin-nordic.com

Comment

I'm guessing 72 Tiger-Crane and praying for Xingyiquan 😁
              ~ yaaah ~

Comment

My guess is...the Dragon Form Set.

Comment

My guess is Flower Set as it has both a force training section and a combat application section.
                  www.shaolinwahnam.nl
                  www.shaolinholland.com

Comment

I think it is Xingyiquan, as the whole style is refined to the bare minimum, incorporating defence and attack all at once.

The style was developed for generals, therefore, people who should already have a lot of internal force.
                    Sifu Leonard Lackinger

Shaolin Treasure House

Shaolin Wahnam Wien & Shaolin Treasure House

Comment

Turn on the Lights

Dear all,

It's a wonderful privilege to be here in Finland at the Winter Wonderland.

After much debate and guesses we started with the Dragon Form set!

Tomorrow will be Monkey, followed by Tiger Crane, then Flower Set and finally Xingyiquan. I believe this gives the order with the highest correctly guessed by Leo 🙂

Originally posted by Leo Shaolin View Post
                      I think it is Xingyiquan, as the whole style is refined to the bare minimum, incorporating defence and attack all at once.

The style was developed for generals, therefore, people who should already have a lot of internal force.
                      Keeping the post short as it is late and we have training in the morning, however just to mention some early highlights. Being introduced to the Dragon Form set and systematically learning the Form, the Flow and finally the Force methods was incredible. During the flow method I didn't perform it very well initially as I was using too much Force for which I was very grateful to receive a lesson from Sifu but also to improve our flow we practice 'Turning on the Lights' where we prepare several patterns ahead of the one being performed. I definitely benefitted from this and also from focussing on a section of the set with say two patterns and then linking two the next two and moving through the set like this with varying emphasis on either form, flow or force. This is something that I will be using a lot in my training from now on. It sounds simple but Sifu's transmission is something else.

Using chi to lead the form was special a characteristic of the Dragon Set. Many of us were a little blown away just how much flowing force we developed in the afternoon session. It also resulted in some powerful chi flows! So yes it is only day 1 and we have completed the 'least' advanced set. We can only guess what the next days will bring.

Finally when Sifu arrived he announced welcome to Finland I think today you will see the beautiful Northern Lights. Sure enough this evening we all stood by the Lake admiring the beautiful green Lights. Grateful to be sharing such a special place with our Wahnam family and not a nice way for Parveen to celebrate her recent birthday 😃

Thank you Sifu. Thank you to Sifu Markus and Nessa for organising the course and venue and helping us to prepare for the course with the videos which really helped!

With best wishes,

Joel.
                      Once you know the map all routes become clear.

— Grandmaster Wong Kiew Kit

Comment

Glory of kungfu course videos

Dear family,

the Shaolin Winter Camp courses have started, and Sifu has already posted footage from the first two days on his webpage.

You can see what the participants have been up to here:

Glory of Kungfu -course videos 2018

Best wishes,

Nessa
                        Nessa Kahila
                        Shaolin Nordic Finland
                        Instructor
                        nessa@shaolin-nordic.com

www.shaolin-nordic.com

Comment

here is an

overview of the characteristics of the five sets

Enjoy

Engage and maintain joyful practice!

May all of you get the best benefits from what you do.

Anton Schmick
                          Shaolin Wahnam Germany Nord

shaolinwahnamchina.com
                          http://chikunghamburg.wordpress.com
                          http://shaolinwahnam-nord.de
                          http://kungfu-luebeck.de

Comment

Kung Fu in Magical Winter Wonderland

Dear Shaolin Wahnam family,

There is nothing more rewarding than attending a course with Sifu in a magical place surrounded by Shaolin brothers and sisters. This is a course and experience I will remember for a very long time.

Sifu transmitted the essence of the five sets and we all worked hard to achieve our best. Sifu's direct teaching pushed us to transform from form level into picture perfect form with the addition of 'more chi more chi and more chi' to move onto the flow method and then force method. Sifu really emphasised on basics and not to neglect the form whilst practicing solo sequences and also within sparring. Sifu mentioned how we come to the course to learn but it is in the practice that makes one competent in sparring and thus the forms/sequences/ applications become second nature. All these teachings were put to the test when Sifu called me up to perform the second part of the Xingyiquan set. 'Profundity in Simplicity' Sifu said, and it most certainly was profound but the latter I am yet to achieve! Sifu tweaked every movement and corrected every form, from footwork to waist rotation and then hand forms. It is the one set I did not learn prior to the course yet it is the one set that I remember the most. Receiving so many one to one teachings from Sifu is something I will treasure. I really learnt so much about what Kung Fu really is and how the three harmonies must come together to perform and execute Kung Fu well.

Sifu's teaching methodology was very beneficial and the way Sifu taught the course from day to day enabled us all to learn by doing. What I mean by this is that Sifu divided us into groups and through rotation, we worked out combat applications, sequences and performed the patterns. We learnt from each other and then Sifu made us better. By doing this we all had the chance to transform our weaknesses into strengths which is invaluable on the road to reaching our full potential.

There were a few highlights for me in this course which were so enjoyable. One of them being Sifu performing the monkey set. I could not stop laughing and how the ridiculous patterns transformed into very effective combat applications, especially the felling techniques! I really enjoyed the elegance of the 72 Tiger Crane set and its direct applications. It was a pleasure to listen to Sifu explain the essence and history of the Kung Fu sets whilst we 'rested'. The Flower set was a test of mental clarity with the few new additions of performing the combat sequences on both and right and left directions. It was great to recognise patterns from the 'Essence of Shaolin course' and to understand its full application. I also enjoyed creating my own rolling techniques, monkey?...more like panda for me . The special moment for me was being transmitted the majestic 'Dragon force' and the fluidity of the set, something very special happened and even after the course I am realising how it has enabled me to do better than what I did before. There were also many magical moments with Shaolin Wahnam brothers and sisters; watching the aurora lights appearing in -32 degrees, soothing our aching muscles in the much needed sauna, conversations over dinners and campfire, sparring together and getting up to naughty monkey tricks on the gym apparatus, eating reindeer for graduation dinner and planning Shaolin Wahnam travel adventures together and of course sharing this whole journey with my wonderful partner Joel.

There are so many teachings and finer points that were transmitted to us that I have more than enough material for my daily practice for many years and I am deeply grateful for all the videos that were recorded by Markus Siheng and uploaded by Sifu for our reference. I am eternally grateful to you Sifu for the transmission of the Glory of Kung fu course. Thank you to Markus Siheng for all your hospitality and enthusiasm in combat applications. Thank you to Nessa Sije for organising the course and I wish you all the best in your pregnancy. Thank you to the Finnish family for making us feel welcome and sharing your beautiful culture. Thank you to all my brothers and sisters for sharing this journey together, until next time.

With Love and Peace,
                            Shaolin Salute,
                            Parveen

27336334_10160001175365241_1052138332233543786_n.jpg
                            “So I say to you –
                            This is how to contemplate our conditioned existence in this fleeting world:”

“Like a tiny drop of dew, or a bubble floating in a stream;
                            Like a flash of lightning in a summer cloud,
                            Or a flickering lamp, an illusion, a phantom, or a dream.”

“So is all conditioned existence to be seen.”

Thus spoke Buddha.

Comment

Dear Parveen,

Thank you for sharing your experience!

We are very happy everyone had a wonderful time in exotic and arctic Lapland. It is indeed magical.

I wish I could have been sparring with all of you. But knowing what we have in store for next time, I think it will blow your socks off and make up for those of us who could not participate this time.

We will keep you posted for future events!

Best wishes,

Nessa
                              Nessa Kahila
                              Shaolin Nordic Finland
                              Instructor
                              nessa@shaolin-nordic.com

www.shaolin-nordic.com

Comment

Working...
                              X