Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shaolin Monkey Set: Part 1

Dear family & visitors,

After a short break, we’re back! Here’s the first of the Shaolin Monkey Set videos performed in slow motion. It’s almost first snow here in Finland, so you’ll see me in increasingly overdone practice clothes towards the final preparation videos for the Glory of Kungfu -course

As I’ve never learned this set formally from Sifu, there might be mistakes or wrong interpretations of patterns peppered throughout the video. Furthermore, leaving the monkey spirit out of the performance is intentional - this is something participants will be taught at the course, so I merely focused on the outward form to the best of my ability for helping participants with the preparations, not the essence.

So, without further ado:

Shaolin Monkey Set in slow motion, part 1

Shaolin Monkey Set performed by Grandmaster Wong Kiew Kit

The Shaolin Monkey Set pattern by pattern

Best wishes,
    Markus Kahila
    Shaolin Nordic Finland

www.shaolin-nordic.com

Comment

The Monkey Set

Dear family and Glory of Kungfu participants,

Sifu has kindly given us a commentary on the Monkey Set. We will be posting it with the videos.

Here is the first part!

The Monkey Set was a specialty of my sifu, Sifu Ho Fatt Nam. I once asked him the full name of the set, and he told me that it was just called "Monkey Set".

He also told me that he learned the set from the Monkey God, the Great Sage Equal to Heaven, whom my sifu's disciples and I had the very rare honour to call "sigung". He told me that sigung appeared in dreams to teach him.

When I was learning from Uncle Righteousness many years ago, a kungfu master called Four-Eyed Cheong want to teach me a monkey set, called Eighteen Felling Techniques of Spiritual Monkey, which was his specialty.

This kungfu master, who spent a fortune learning Dragon's Strength Chi Circulation Set from Uncle Righteousness, did not teach me the monkey set straight-away, but taught me a double-sabre set first. This was his way (and also the way of many kungfu masters in the past) of testing whether I was fit and ready for the monkey set.

Another part following soon!

Best wishes,

Nessa
      Nessa Kahila
      Shaolin Nordic Finland
      Instructor
      nessa@shaolin-nordic.com

www.shaolin-nordic.com

Comment

Shaolin Monkey Set - part 2

Dear family and course participants,

here is the second part of the Monkey Set.

Shaolin Monkey Set in slow motion - part 2

Happy practice!

Best wishes,

Nessa
        Nessa Kahila
        Shaolin Nordic Finland
        Instructor
        nessa@shaolin-nordic.com

www.shaolin-nordic.com

Comment

The Shaolin Monkey Set

here is Sifu's second commentary on the Monkey Set:

I did not do well in the double-sabre set. I had negative influence from Cross-Road Double Southern Knives, which I learned earlier from Uncle Righteousness. Southern knives, also called Butterfly Knives, are much shorter than a sabre, but the negative influence was there. I used the double sabres to strike simultaneously like in Cross-Road Southern Knives, instead of one immediately following another.

Four-Eyed Cheong, whom I called "sisook", later pointed out my mistake, but it was enough for him not to teach me his specialty, the monkey set. Hence, later when I learned the Human-Character Double Southern Knives from my Wing Choon sifu, Sifu Choe Hoong Choy, I remembered this mistake, and I could use the southern knives to strike one immediately following another as it was used in this set.

Many years later I found out that Four-Eyed Cheong taught his specialty, Eighteen Felling Techniques of Spiritual Monkey, to one of the sons of Uncle Cheong, a much well-respected Wing Choon practitioner who also learned from Sifu Choe Hoong Choy.
          The last part will be following soon.

Only less than two months to the Winter Camp!

See you soon,

Nessa
          Nessa Kahila
          Shaolin Nordic Finland
          Instructor
          nessa@shaolin-nordic.com

www.shaolin-nordic.com

Comment

The Shaolin Monkey Set

here is the third part of the Monkey Set!

The Shaolin Monkey Set - part 3

Happy practice!

Nessa
            Nessa Kahila
            Shaolin Nordic Finland
            Instructor
            nessa@shaolin-nordic.com

www.shaolin-nordic.com

Comment

The Shaolin Monkey Set

here is the last part of Sifu's commentary on the Monkey Set:

Another son, an elder one, of Uncle Cheong learned Lion Dance from my sidai, Lau Wing Fook, who was known as a Lion King because of his lively Lion Dance performance. Because these happened many years ago, I cannot remember the names of the two sons. You can see a photo of the elder son in my website http://www.shaolin.org showing a performance of a Lion Dance on high poles gathering "sky green". I was performing the Lion head, and the elder son was performing the Lion tail. He told me he forgot to cover himself sufficiently with the Lion tail, thus his buttock was showing.

I sought out the younger son to teach me the Monkey set. I cannot remember the complete routine of the set now, but I can remember its important patterns and principles. I combined this set with what my sifu, Sifu Ho Fatt Nam, had shown me in the Monkey set that I shall teach in the coming Glory of Shaolin Kungfu course in Finland in January 2018. This Monkey set, which is quite long, can be found at http://shaolin.org/shaolin/kungfu-se.../monkey01.html

The next part of the Monkey Set video will be following shortly!

Best wishes,

Nessa
              Nessa Kahila
              Shaolin Nordic Finland
              Instructor
              nessa@shaolin-nordic.com

www.shaolin-nordic.com

Comment

The Shaolin Monkey Set

with only a little over a month left for the Glory of Kungfu course we will have to pick up the speed some with the sets.

Our students here in Finland have been doing very well with the sets, there is only one left to learn.

Here is the fourth part of the Monkey Set:

The Shaolin Monkey Set - part 4

Happy training to all!

Best wishes,

Nessa
                Nessa Kahila
                Shaolin Nordic Finland
                Instructor
                nessa@shaolin-nordic.com

www.shaolin-nordic.com

Comment

The Shaolin Monkey Set

here is the last part of the Monkey Set:

The Shaolin Monkey Set - Part 5 slow motion

For the complete set:

Shaolin Monkey Set performed by Grandmaster Wong Kiew Kit

The Shaolin Monkey Set pattern by pattern

Happy Christmas holidays to all.

Best wishes,

Nessa
                  Nessa Kahila
                  Shaolin Nordic Finland
                  Instructor
                  nessa@shaolin-nordic.com

www.shaolin-nordic.com

Comment

72-pattern Tiger Crane set

here is the first part of the 72-pattern Tiger Crane set!

72-pattern Tiger Crane set - part 1-3

Here is the set performed with speed and force:

72-pattern Tiger Crane -set from Choe family Wing Choon, performed by Grandmaster Wong Kiew Kit

As you can see from the video, the winter is coming and since we practice outside all year round, the clothing is getting bigger and bigger. The additional extra training comes by practicing on ice.

Happy practicing,

and Happy New Year to everyone!

Best wishes,

Nessa
                    Nessa Kahila
                    Shaolin Nordic Finland
                    Instructor
                    nessa@shaolin-nordic.com

www.shaolin-nordic.com

Comment

72-pattern Tiger Crane set

here is part 4 of the 72-pattern Tiger Crane set:

72-pattern Tiger Crane set - part 4 - slow motion

72-pattern Tiger Crane -set from Choe family Wing Choon, performed by Grandmaster Wong Kiew Kit

The 72-pattern Tiger Crane set in pattern by pattern

Sifu has kindly commented on this set also, I'll be posting soon!

Best wishes,

Nessa
                      Nessa Kahila
                      Shaolin Nordic Finland
                      Instructor
                      nessa@shaolin-nordic.com

www.shaolin-nordic.com

Comment

72-pattern Tiger-Crane set

here is Sifu's comment on the 72-pattern Tiger-Crane set.

When I first saw the 72-Pattern Tiger-Crane Set at Patriarch Choe Hoong Choy's house performed by one of his senior students, I was not impressed. Indeed, I was thinking why this set was called Tiger-Crane. I did not find any tiger-claw or crane beak in the set, two features I came to associate with Tiger-Crane which I found remarkable in the 36-Pattern Tiger-Crane Set of Uncle Righteousness and the 108-Pattern Tiger-Crane Set of Wong Fei Hoong's lineage.

Actually there was tiger-claw in the 72-Pattern Tiger-Crane Set , but in my ignorance then the tiger-claw, which appeared more like eagle-claw or dragon-claw, was not as noticeable as in the 36-Pattern or the 108-Pattern sets. Instead of the crane-beak, there was frequent use of the open palm and the arm, which acted like the wings of the crane, in the 72-Pattern set.

Later I learned that this 72-Pattern Tiger-Crane Set was a specialty of Ng Mui which she taught to Yim Wing Choon. What impressed me most was the pattern "Single Leg Flying Crane" in the set. In Sifu Choe Hoong Choy's school, it was not called "Single Leg Flying Crane", it was just called "flying kicks".

"Single Leg Flying Crane" was a very important pattern in both the 36-Pattern and the 108-Pattern sets, but it was performed differently. In these two sets, an exponent grips the open hands of an opponent and kicks at the latter's groin. It is one of the patterns in the famous "no-shadow kicks".

In "Single Leg Flying Crane" or flying kicks of the 72-Pattern set, an opponent attacks the eyes of an opponent, and kicks the latter's groin twice while the exponent is still in the air.

Many years ago I had an experience of this "Single Leg Flying Crane" from a Ng Mui kungfu master. This "Single Leg Flying Crane" was an ultimate technique of this master, and he told me that whenever he used it, which was not frequent, he always won. But I knew this pattern well from the 72-Pattern Tiger-Crane Set. So I was able to avoid his eye attack and his flying kicks, and drove a phoenix-eye fist into his solar plexus. As he was rushing towards me while jumping in the air, I had to change my phoenix-eye fist into an open palm which brushed his chest.

Next part of the set coming soon!

Best wishes,

Nessa
                        Nessa Kahila
                        Shaolin Nordic Finland
                        Instructor
                        nessa@shaolin-nordic.com

www.shaolin-nordic.com

Comment

here is part 5 of the set!

72-pattern Tiger-Crane set - part 5 slow motion

72-pattern Tiger-Crane set from Choe family Wing Choon, performed by Grandmaster Wong Kiew Kit

72-pattern Tiger-Crane set pattern by pattern

Happy training!

Best wishes,

Nessa
                          Nessa Kahila
                          Shaolin Nordic Finland
                          Instructor
                          nessa@shaolin-nordic.com

www.shaolin-nordic.com

Comment

Dear Shaolin family and course participants,

here are parts 6 and 7 of the 72-pattern Tiger-Crane set!

72-pattern Tiger-Crane set - part 6 slow motion

72-pattern Tiger-Crane set - part 7 slow motion

Happy practice!

Best wishes,

Nessa
                            Nessa Kahila
                            Shaolin Nordic Finland
                            Instructor
                            nessa@shaolin-nordic.com

www.shaolin-nordic.com

Comment

here are parts 8 and 9 of the set!

72-pattern Tiger-Crane set - part 8 slow motion

72-pattern Tiger-Crane set - part 9 slow motion

There's only a week left to the courses! I hope everyone has the sets down.

Only one set left, but luckily it's the shortest one.

Best wishes,

Nessa
                              Nessa Kahila
                              Shaolin Nordic Finland
                              Instructor
                              nessa@shaolin-nordic.com

www.shaolin-nordic.com

Comment

Dear Nessa, dear Markus,
                                thank you for the interesting posts!!

I wonder where, in comparison to other sets taught at the Glory of Kung-Fu Course, the 72 Tiger-Crane Set stands regarding skills, force, strategies, and tactics. Is this the most advanced set (among the five) taught at the upcoming course?

If I would answer my own question, which for me is very difficult.
                                Flower Set will probably be more advanced than the 72 Tiger-Crane Set.

I would rank the sets as this:

1. Flower Set
                                2. 72 Tiger-Crane
                                3. Five Elemental Continous Fist of Xingyiquan
                                4. Dragon Set
                                5. Monkey Set

Obviously, all of them are quite superb! Xingyiquan was only taught to generals, the Dragon is the highest Shaolin animal, Monkey Set was Sitaigung´s Ho specialty. Hence it makes it very difficult to rank them. I´d say the rather complement each other, especially regarding the spread aspect of our training.
                                Anyway, I would like to explain, why I would rank them in the order above.

Flower Set is best for Dim Mark, hence the 1st place. 72 Tiger Crane has some fantastic skills (just from what I see in the video) and maybe because I like it a lot, I´d place it in the second place. The Five Elemental Continous Fist of Xingyiquan requires good internal force and is "profundity in simplicity". The Dragon Set has Dragon Force and Dim Mark. The Monkey Set is full of monkey tricks, wonderful foot- and groundwork!

As mentioned above, it is my own preference. Obviously, the sets are wonderful by themselves, and since each of them is for certain purposes, they cannot be compared without personal preferences.

However, I would like to know about your opinions! Especially from those of you, who have been preparing for the course!
                                Let´s have some fun!

With best regards,
                                Anton
                                Last edited by Anton S.; 14 January 2018, 07:53 PM.
                                Engage and maintain joyful practice!

May all of you get the best benefits from what you do.

Anton Schmick
                                Shaolin Wahnam Germany Nord

shaolinwahnamchina.com
                                http://chikunghamburg.wordpress.com
                                http://shaolinwahnam-nord.de
                                http://kungfu-luebeck.de

Comment

Working...
                                X