Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Glory of Kungfu course preparation

Dear all,

The upcoming Glory of Kungfu -course at the 2018 Winter Camp will be a very special course, and requires preparation from all participants.

At the course, Grandmaster Wong Kiew Kit will transmit the essence of all of the following arts, representing the true depth of Shaolin Kungfu:

To help participants prepare for the course, the Shaolin Nordic instructors will be posting additional videos here on this thread of all the above arts / sets.

We will include run-troughs of all the sets in slow motion, so that it will be easier for participants to pick up the intricacies of the patterns / techiniques in their respective sets.

The first video will arrive later this month, and we will be posting content throughout the rest of the year.

To apply for the event, please contact Sifu Markus or Sifu Nessa of Shaolin Nordic directly:

markus@shaolin-nordic.com
    nessa@shaolin-nordic.com

Click here for course details.

Of course, this thread is also meant for discussion regarding the kungfu course, so all your questions and input are most welcome!

With a Shaolin salute,
    Markus Kahila
    Shaolin Nordic Finland

www.shaolin-nordic.com

Flower Set, clip 1

Ok, let’s get this going!

As mentioned, these videos posted on this thread are meant for preparation for the Glory of Kungfu -course to be held at the 2018 Shaolin Winter Camp. We’ll post a clip every few days, which are meant to make it easier for the participants to pick up the footwork, movements and patterns of the five sets. It bears to mention that these are deliberately performed slowly with emphasis on form - the applications and the essence of these arts will be taught at the course.

This thread is also for discussion regarding the sets / arts, so if you have any questions or comments, fire away!

We’ll start off with the Shaolin Flower Set, which is a long set but contains a fair amount of repetition, so it's one of the easier ones to learn. This section is for the first force training part:

Shaolin Flower Set - Part 1, force training 1

Here’s the Flower Set set performed by Grandmaster Wong:

Here’s the Flower Set set picture series with pattern names:

http://shaolin.org/video-clips-6/flo.../pictures.html

See you soon with more clips!

Best wishes,
    Markus Kahila
    Shaolin Nordic Finland

www.shaolin-nordic.com

Comment

Glory of Kungfu - Video clip number 2

Here is video clip number 2 of the Flower Set!

(Remember that the set is purposefully done in a very slow manner, for your convenience in making the learning of the sets easier. If you want to see the set in full speed and force, please see the links above.)

Flower Set part 2:

Have fun practicing!

Best wishes,

Nessa
      Nessa Kahila
      Shaolin Nordic Finland
      Instructor
      nessa@shaolin-nordic.com

www.shaolin-nordic.com

Comment

Flower Set, clip 3

And here we go, ciip 3 of the Flower Set, which is the second force training part of the set.

Please note that this part is performed facing "south", whereas the set started facing "north". In these clips, we will be changing camera angles in order to provide the clearest view to different patterns / forms. But for the correct orientation at any given point in the set, you can always check Sifu's full video of it!

Shaolin Flower Set - Part 3, force training 2

Best wishes,
        Markus Kahila
        Shaolin Nordic Finland

www.shaolin-nordic.com

Comment

Flower Set, clip 4

Here is clip 4 of the Flower Set!

Shaolin Flower Set - Part 4

Best wishes,

Nessa
          Nessa Kahila
          Shaolin Nordic Finland
          Instructor
          nessa@shaolin-nordic.com

www.shaolin-nordic.com

Comment

Flower Set

The Flower Set with Pattern Names link above was broken. I'm sorry for the inconvenience.

Here is the correct link:

Picture Series of Flower Set, Shaolin Kungfu patterns, First Winter Camp, Lapland, Shaolin Kungfu, Hoong Ka Kungfu

Best wishes,

Nessa
            Nessa Kahila
            Shaolin Nordic Finland
            Instructor
            nessa@shaolin-nordic.com

www.shaolin-nordic.com

Comment

Flower Set, clip 5

Here is the Flower Set clip 5! It is sequence 1 of the set.

Enjoy!

Flower Set clip 5

Happy practice,

Nessa
              Nessa Kahila
              Shaolin Nordic Finland
              Instructor
              nessa@shaolin-nordic.com

www.shaolin-nordic.com

Comment

Announcement

Dear family / visitors,

Great news! As we'll be publishing slow-motion videos of all the Glory of Kungfu -course sets, Sifu has kindly offered to write a commentary of every clip we'll post to highlight the intricacies of these great arts!

We'll be publishing Sifu's commentaries right here on this thread. First installment coming soon...

Best wishes,
                Markus Kahila
                Shaolin Nordic Finland

www.shaolin-nordic.com

Comment

Introduction to the Flower Set

Sifu has very kindly offered us commentaries on each video clip we have made.
                  So here is the first one: Introduction to the Flower Set

Developing Internal Force in Flower Set

One of the most beautiful sets I learned in Uncle Righteousness’ lineage is the Flower Set.

This set was the specialty of two of the five Shaolin Elders, Ng Mui and Miew Hein, the most senior and the most junior. I also learned another Flower Set from Sifu Choe Hoong Choy.

I believe the Flower Set from Sifu Choe Hoong Choy was related to the one practiced by Ng Mui, and the Flower Set from Uncle Righteousness was relat4d to the one practiced by Miew Hein. I combined the two sets into one, and first taught it in January 2011 in Saariselka, Finland. It is wonderful that I shall teach the Flower Set again in January 2018 at the Winter Camp.

There are two parts in the Flower Set. The first part, called “ta-chong”, develops internal force. I recalled that so much internal force was developed at the 2011 course in Saariselka that I had to stop for half an hour, and course participants, still in their T-shirts (as it was warm in the training hall), went out into the open to enjoy the Lapland wintry cold.

The four combat sequences, called "ta-sai-moon". are special. Each one sequence is sufficient to end combat.

I shall discuss them as Nessa reveals the combat sequences.

<End>

Best wishes,

Nessa
                  Nessa Kahila
                  Shaolin Nordic Finland
                  Instructor
                  nessa@shaolin-nordic.com

www.shaolin-nordic.com

Comment

Swimming Dragon Plays With Water

Here is Sifu's second commentary on the Flower Set!

Swimming Dragon Plays with Water

Not many people know that one of the specialties of the Flower Set is dim mark, or dotting energy points to immobilize opponents from further fighting. This is found in the first of the fours sequences of the Flower Set, called for convenience “Swimming Dragon Plays with Water”.

Even if one does not know dim mark, practicing the sequence fluently and applying it in free sparring, is sufficient to end combat. It is worthwhile to know that the techniques here are in the “no-defence-direct–counter” category. In other words, the attack techniques already incorporate defence.

There is some shifting of footwork in this sequence. The secret will be taught at the Winter Camp in Janaury 2018.

<End>

Next we will be moving on to the video clips again!

Best wishes,

Nessa
                    Nessa Kahila
                    Shaolin Nordic Finland
                    Instructor
                    nessa@shaolin-nordic.com

www.shaolin-nordic.com

Comment

Flower Set, clip 6

Dear family and course participants,

as there is only 5 months to the Winter Camp, and also 5 sets to learn, here are some tips for learning new sets for those who have not before learned many sets at once.

1. Make a time table in what time you have to learn the sets. Make sure you have enough time for each set.
                      2. You can start from the easiest and work your way towards the most complicated set. (In our case, I'd recommend starting from the Dragon Set and the Flower Set. In our Glory of Kungfu preparation course for our own students we will be using this method.)
                      3. Learn 1-5 new movements per day. Repeat what you have learned, and then add the new forms, so that you remember them well. Do the same next day.
                      Learning new sets becomes easier each time you practice, so in the end you might be able to add up to 10 or more new forms per day.
                      4. Have fun practicing and enjoy!

Here is Flower Set clip 6

which is the sequence 2 of the Flower Set. For more practice!

Best wishes,

Nessa
                      Nessa Kahila
                      Shaolin Nordic Finland
                      Instructor
                      nessa@shaolin-nordic.com

www.shaolin-nordic.com

Comment

Flower Set, second combat sequence

Dear family,

here is Sifu's commentary on the second combat sequence of the Flower Set.
                        Lots of secrets will be revealed at the Winter Camp

Flower Set – Second of the Four Combat Sequences

The special feature of this sequence is to lock an opponent’s hands and then strike him. Do you know how his is done? The secret will be taught at the Winter Camp.

Sifu/Sigung/Sitaigung.

Best wishes,

Nessa
                        Nessa Kahila
                        Shaolin Nordic Finland
                        Instructor
                        nessa@shaolin-nordic.com

www.shaolin-nordic.com

Comment

Some note-taking

Hi all,

While preparing for the Winter Camp, or any other course, I take notes on the upcoming kung fu material; it helps me learn to break down movements into as small a transitional movement as possible. Those of you who attended Baguazhang and Cosmos Palm may have seen my notes. Below are links to some Google Documents of my notes for the upcoming kung fu sets at the Glory of Kung Fu course.

Anyhow, hope this helps anyone who happens to share my particular learning style. Maybe later on, a bunch more of us can share some videos? It'd be an interesting side project to assess how we are before and after the course. See everyone in some months.
                          I like making silly videos (including kung fu ones!) every so often on YouTube and taking pictures of weird things on Instagram.

Comment

Below are links to some Google Documents of my notes for the upcoming kung fu sets at the Glory of Kung Fu course.
                            Good stuff, Frederick! Thanks for sharing!

Best wishes,
                            Markus Kahila
                            Shaolin Nordic Finland

www.shaolin-nordic.com

Comment

Flower Set, clip 7

Time for sequence 3 of the Shaolin Flower Set! This contains some of my favourite patterns and applications in this set.

Shaolin Flower Set - Part 7, sequence 3

Best wishes,
                              Markus Kahila
                              Shaolin Nordic Finland

www.shaolin-nordic.com

Comment

Working...
                              X