Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• International Wahnam Students Gathering

Dear family,

with the blessings of Sigung and the interest of some brothers arose the idea of an International Wahnam Students Gathering with the objetive of offering to our students the opportunity to get together for a week in a nice place and to dedicate intensively to the training of our basic Syllabi. The gathering will be a great opportunity for going over the programe many times as preparations for future courses with our respective Sifus and specially with Sigung (think for example of the Special Course on Levels next year. See here ). Those who live far away from their own Sifus and other family members, just like me, will have the chance to meet and cross arms.

Sigung authorized me to publish the proposal on our virtual Kwon to see if more people have interest in taking part in the gathering. So if some of you want to be part of it, please contact me. It is important to know first if the proposal have enough responses before going further with the idea. I would take the responsibility of the organization once we know how many of you are in. Dates and places would be discussed after.
    Sigung also suggested that such gatherings can be organized around the world by many of us and not just in one place and time. So feel free to take contact with each other, organize and get together.

And please be aware: This is NOT a course. We will get together to train.

Have a wonderful day,
    Davy
    Last edited by Davy; 15 July 2017, 11:32 AM.

Hi Davy, I particularly like Sifu's suggestion to do this in multiple places. If it transpires to be difficult for people from different parts of the world to meet in one place, when they want to save money for courses and stuff like that, or the same with getting a week's holiday etc, then maybe it could be more intensive, have training gatherings for one day, the same day with the same agenda, all over the world, kind of like a world book day? Or make it for a weekend or series of weekends? Prepare for it on the forum, post videos afterwards etc.

In the UK I remember we organised such training days or training weekends to help us prepare for the Warrior Project (again to help remote students with no local Sifu meet the requirements for Level 2), and we also organised a few to prepare for the 10 Tigers Tournaments (remember those!) (I remember us discussing that we could do the same thing for combat and sparring, kind of like the Geoff Thompson "Animal Days" but then the Warrior Project itself kind of fulfils that!)

Comment

Great idea...I would like to put together a list of folks in the US interested in such a get together....In my karate days we did a yearly get together called bushi no te, where students

and teachers from many schools got together and trained hard for 3 days..It really kickstarted a lot of folks to get to a new level..sharing training and experiences,also learning from each

others mistakes...and it can be done at very low cost too......Thanks for sharing Davy

Comment

Dear Davy Siheng,

Great initiative! I'm definitely interested, although without finding employment I may not afford to travel outside Finland.

With sincere respect,
        Olli

Comment

Hi Davy,

we have run a few of these in the UK. It is something Sifu Mark suggested and these "family days" have gone very well.

All the best,

Barr
          Profile at Capio Nightingale Hospital London Click here
          Chi Kung & Tai Chi Chuan in the UK Fully Alive
          Fully Alive on Facebook Fully Alive
          UK Summer Camp 2017 Click here for details
          sigpic

Comment

Thank you all for your replies. Maybe it would be more feasible if you organize the gathering in different regions. I will then propose the following regions (you can make your own proposes, so that all interested can take part in the gatherings):

1. Northern Europe
            2. Southern and Central Europe
            3. USA
            4. Latinamerica
            5. Asian Countries

There could be overlaps in looking if a country belongs to one or other region. Anyway we are not to discuss geography, but to find a way to gather and train.

Greetings
            Davy

Comment

Originally posted by understanding View Post
              Dear Davy Siheng,

Great initiative! I'm definitely interested, although without finding employment I may not afford to travel outside Finland.

With sincere respect,
              Olli
              Hi Olli,

Thanks for replying. What about brothers and sisters going to your country? Would be possible for you to take part actively in organizing one gathering?

Greetings

Comment

Originally posted by gusty View Post
                Great idea...I would like to put together a list of folks in the US interested in such a get together....In my karate days we did a yearly get together called bushi no te, where students

and teachers from many schools got together and trained hard for 3 days..It really kickstarted a lot of folks to get to a new level..sharing training and experiences,also learning from each

others mistakes...and it can be done at very low cost too......Thanks for sharing Davy
                It would be great if the US family members get together. It is Ok for you if the interested members from US write to you to start organizing a gathering?

Shaolin salute

Comment

Originally posted by drunken boxer View Post
                  Hi Davy, I particularly like Sifu's suggestion to do this in multiple places. If it transpires to be difficult for people from different parts of the world to meet in one place, when they want to save money for courses and stuff like that, or the same with getting a week's holiday etc, then maybe it could be more intensive, have training gatherings for one day, the same day with the same agenda, all over the world, kind of like a world book day? Or make it for a weekend or series of weekends? Prepare for it on the forum, post videos afterwards etc.

In the UK I remember we organised such training days or training weekends to help us prepare for the Warrior Project (again to help remote students with no local Sifu meet the requirements for Level 2), and we also organised a few to prepare for the 10 Tigers Tournaments (remember those!) (I remember us discussing that we could do the same thing for combat and sparring, kind of like the Geoff Thompson "Animal Days" but then the Warrior Project itself kind of fulfils that!)
                  Hi,

The main idea is to get together without having to spend much money and in days everybody can take part. It is a matter of looking the best way to make the gathering affordable to many people as possible. If for the family members in your region is more affordable to gather in UK, then please go a head at start organizing.

Comment

Originally posted by barrys View Post
                    Hi Davy,

we have run a few of these in the UK. It is something Sifu Mark suggested and these "family days" have gone very well.

All the best,

Barr
                    Thank you

Comment

Dear Siheng,

Thank You for this opportunity. I am in.

With Shaolin Salute
                      Karol

Comment

Great idea! It is always good fun to practice with others, even for those who are lucky to have family members nearby.
                        We were thinking about a Tai Chi Chuan gathering to practicing sequences, but it could be mixed...
                        Personally I like the idea of a long weekend (Friday-Sunday), as more might be able to attend.

Best regards
                        Andrea
                        Enjoy some Wahnam Tai Chi Chuan & Qi Gong!

Evening Classes in Zürich
                        Weekend Classes in other Swiss locations

Facebook: www.facebook.com/Taichichuan.Wahnam.ch

Comment

Dear Davy Siheng,

Originally posted by Davy View Post
                          What about brothers and sisters going to your country? Would be possible for you to take part actively in organizing one gathering?
                          Thank you for suggesting this, as I neglected to come up with it earlier. Yes, I could definitely organize a training event if Family members were interested in coming to Helsinki. I could also house some of them if they are not too particular about sleeping on the floor of my apartment which I share with a fellow university student. There are great training locations, such as a tidy and usually vacant park which I like, readily accessible near the Helsinki public transportation system, which is something to not take for granted. Helsinki is also a relatively peaceful capital city, so the visitors could enjoy that experience.

By the way, I have been organizing and promoting an open Kungfu training group on weekends for a year now. Regularly it's just me and some other person joining in. I have been hoping that more people would join in, but unfortunately the Kungfu mania hasn't taken over as many brothers and sisters as I hoped for, even though it's a fantastic opportunity to come train together outside regular classes. Then again, family and work are big responsibilities for many.

With sincere respect,
                          Olli

Comment

Originally posted by Davy View Post
                            If for the family members in your region is more affordable to gather in UK, then please go a head at start organizing.
                            Heh heh, well I've organised things in the past, but at the minute I am working most evenings and weekends so my organising days are currently suspended! But things change...
                            The other problem is that I am in Northern Ireland, I can't really afford to go anywhere else at the minute, and I think the nearest other practitioner to me is over 100 miles away. It's not usually easy to persuade people to come to Northern Ireland either, for some unfathomable reason ha ha!

Comment

Gusty, I'm in Florida from late September to early October so if you are planning a Shaolin sparring weekend around that three week period within a reasonable distance, count me in It has been almost a year since I got my ass kicked at Cosmos Palm by the US family!

Davy: I assume it was a given that I'm in, since I was one of the "brothers" interested the first place

-Mirva-

Originally posted by gusty View Post

~ yaaah ~

Comment

Working...
                              X