Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it Wudang Taijiquan or Wudang Kungfu?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dear Angel,

I would vote for Wudang KungFu as the collective name for the approach and sets [Wudang, San Feng] Sifu has developed. We use this term when we teach in London. We also refer to the fact that this later became known popularly as Tai Chi Chuan.

We also have the term "Wahnam Tai Chi Chuan", which in my opinion refers to the sets and approaches contained within the syllabus of our school. This would include Sifu's Wudang Kung Fu sets.

This allows us to say, truthfully, that our teacher has taught us Wudang Kung Fu, in accordance with his understanding of the teaching of Zhang San Feng and his long experience of practising what Zhang San Feng was likely to have learnt during his time at the Shaolin Temple. Also, that Wudang Kung Fu later became popularly known as Tai Chi Chuan.

We can also say that our school teaches Wahnam Tai Chi Chuan, which includes various sets from various styles but all practised with the understanding that they are mind/energy/martial in one single practice.

Of course, ultimately it doesn't really matter. So whatever is chosen I will learn to be fine with it .

All the best,

Barry
    Profile at Capio Nightingale Hospital London Click here
    Chi Kung & Tai Chi Chuan in the UK Fully Alive
    Fully Alive on Facebook Fully Alive
    UK Summer Camp 2017 Click here for details
    sigpic

Comment

Another vote for Wudang Tai Chi Chuan

Originally posted by Joan View Post
      My Dear Family,

My thoughts are that it should be Wudang Tai Chi Chuan.

Zhang San Feng was a Taoist priest and is considered the Patriarch of Tai Chi Chuan.

I know it was called Wudang Kungfu at the time, but in my opinion to preserve the beauty and essence of this beautiful art, to honour The Treatise of Zhang San Feng and to respect the 'Grand Ultimate' in today's world, I would prefer Wudang Tai Chi Chuan also.

Happy training and teaching,
      Joan
      Dear Joan,

Thank you so much for your comments!

Looking forward to see you in Penang!

Best wishes,
      Angel
      [/SIGPIC] Sifu Ángel Pérez
      Shaolin Wahnam Institute Puerto Rico

"Life becomes more meaningful and beautiful as you work towards the realization of your own innate immortality."
      - Grandmaster Wong Kiew Kit

"La vida se vuelve más significativa y hermosa según trabajas hacia la realización de tu propia innata inmortalidad."
      - Gran Maestro Wong Kiew Kit

Comment

Another vote for Wudang Kungfu

Originally posted by barrys View Post
        Dear Angel,

I would vote for Wudang KungFu as the collective name for the approach and sets [Wudang, San Feng] Sifu has developed. We use this term when we teach in London. We also refer to the fact that this later became known popularly as Tai Chi Chuan.

We also have the term "Wahnam Tai Chi Chuan", which in my opinion refers to the sets and approaches contained within the syllabus of our school. This would include Sifu's Wudang Kung Fu sets.

This allows us to say, truthfully, that our teacher has taught us Wudang Kung Fu, in accordance with his understanding of the teaching of Zhang San Feng and his long experience of practising what Zhang San Feng was likely to have learnt during his time at the Shaolin Temple. Also, that Wudang Kung Fu later became popularly known as Tai Chi Chuan.

We can also say that our school teaches Wahnam Tai Chi Chuan, which includes various sets from various styles but all practised with the understanding that they are mind/energy/martial in one single practice.

Of course, ultimately it doesn't really matter. So whatever is chosen I will learn to be fine with it .

All the best,

Barry
        Dear Barry,

Thanks so much for your comments and looking forward to seeing you in Penang!

Best wishes,
        Angel

"Life becomes more meaningful and beautiful as you work towards the realization of your own innate immortality."

"La vida se vuelve más significativa y hermosa según trabajas hacia la realización de tu propia innata inmortalidad."

Comment

According to Sifu, Wudang Kungfu is the pinnacle of Shaolin, and so I like to use that term.
          Charles David Chalmers
          Brunei Darussalam

Comment

Another vote for Wudang Kungfu

Originally posted by Charles David View Post
            According to Sifu, Wudang Kungfu is the pinnacle of Shaolin, and so I like to use that term.
            Dear Charles,

Thanks so much for your comment and looking forward to seeing you in December!

Best wishes,

Angel

Comment

With both hands in the air I vote for Wudang Taijiquan (or Wudang Tai Chi Chuan)!

Comment

Hey All.

I would like to call it Wudang Tai chi Chaun. Since that is the term that has been collectively used for a while now.
                Thanks.
                Chris
                Zen is the Pure Land and the Pureland is Zen

Comment

Dear Family,

I vote for Wudang Taijiquan.

Shaolin Salute,
                  Brendan

Comment

Another vote for Wudang Taijiquan or Wudang Tai Chi Chuan

Originally posted by Kevin_B View Post
                    With both hands in the air I vote for Wudang Taijiquan (or Wudang Tai Chi Chuan)!
                    Dear Kevin,

Lets count both hands as one vote, right? Thanks for taking part in the conversation!

Looking forward to seeing you in December.

Best wishes,
                    Angel

Comment

Another vote for Wudang Tai Chi Chuan

Originally posted by chris-ireland View Post
                      Hey All.

I would like to call it Wudang Tai chi Chaun. Since that is the term that has been collectively used for a while now.
                      Thanks.
                      Chris
                      Dear Chris,

Thanks for your comment.

Best wishes,
                      Angel

Comment

Another vote for Wudang Taijiquan

Originally posted by brendan View Post
                        Dear Family,

I vote for Wudang Taijiquan.

Shaolin Salute,
                        Brendan
                        Dear Brendan,

Thanks for your vote.

Best wishes,
                        Angel

Comment

Focusing Spirit Accumulating Energy Treatise In Grand Ultimate Practice

Dear Family,

Greetings! Thanks so much for your comments. So far we have 6 votes for Wudnag Taijiquan against 5 votes for Wudang Kungfu. I tend to prefer Wudang Kungfu instead of Wudang Taijiquan, for sentimental reasons. I guess that, like Sifu, which has spent his life doing his absolute best to spread the genuine Shaolin Arts, I also would love to see the Glory of Kungfu, restored once more, not only in our school, but elsewhere, especially back in China.

During the course of the conversation and reading some your comments, I realized that genuine Kungfu (Shaolinquan) is alive, especially in our school and like the name itself suggests, Wudang Taijiquan (Wudang Taiji quan fa), already incorporates, the term Kungfu (Shaolinquan, quan fa) in it.

Like Sifu had stated many times before:

Many people who practice Taijiquan, or Tai Chi Chuan, in the West may be surprised that it is actually an effective martial art. "Quan" (pronounced as "ch'uan") in the term "Taijiquan" is the short form for "quan fa", a Chinese term which corresponds to what westerners would call "kungfu". It is significant to note that "Shaolin Kungfu" is called "Shaolinquan" in Chinese, which is the short form for "Shaolin quan fa". "Taiji" means "the grand ultimate", which is the Chinese term for the cosmos. Hence, Taijiquan really means "Cosmos Kungfu". - Sifu

We are lucky, we already know and practice what many people ignore to even exists and what many people only read in books and watch in movies.

Over the course of his teaching career Sifu has always made an effort to make things easier and simpler to understand, that’s the mark of a great teacher. I believe that Sifu has made history already, whether others outside our school, may realize it or not.

Whether Immortal Zhang San Feng intended his teachings to be named Taijiquan, remains a mystery to me, but one thing is clear from reading his Treatise “FOCUSING SPIRIT ACCUMULATING ENERGY TREATISE IN GRAND ULTIMATE PRACTICE” which Sifu has made available to us, is that the name is already implied in the tittle.

I’m inclined to think that Immortal Zhang San Feng’s practice and teaching methodology became softer and more flowing, do to a natural progression, the same way Sifu’s practice and teaching methodology has become softer and more flowing as the years progress.

Sifu might say, and I have heard him say it, that him being softer has to do with his “westernization”, but I would suggest that it might also do to his natural progression in mastering the Shaolin Arts, like Immortal Zhang San Feng did.

So I might feel, for sentimental reasons, inclined to call it Wudang Kungfu, but I think the more appropriate way to call it might be Wudang Taiiquan.

During our practice and or our teaching, we could continue to use both terms, in order to make different points real or to make different points false.

Looking forward to hearing more comments.

Best wishes,
                          Angel

Comment

Dear Shaolin Wahnam Family,

I think that both names honor greatly this wonderful Art and both names are, in my opinion, great names.

I believe that, in our school, there is an emphasis to differentiate Tai Chi Chuan from Shaolin Kung Fu. Therefore, there are two different Syllabus. One for Shaolin Kung Fu and another one for Wahnam Tai Chi Chuan.

This thread, again, is a great opportunity for learning more about these wonderful Arts. Why do we differentiate Shaolin Kung Fu from Wahnam Tai Chi Chuan? If both arts are coming from Shaolin Kung Fu, why the differentiation? Is it because their philosophy is different? or maybe because of their principles and practice?

I heard Sifu saying that Shaolin Kung Fu practitioners will benefit much from learning Tai Chi Chuan and Wahnam Tai Chi Chuan practitioners would benefit much from learning Shaolin Kung Fu. There must be then a difference between Shaolin Kung Fu and Tai Chi Chuan. May I ask what that difference is?

If we choose to call it Wudang Kung Fu, because of the reasons stated on this thread, then Wahnam Tai Chi Chuan would inevitably follow the same reasoning as Tai Chi Chuan originated from Zhang San Feng and would have to be called Wahnam Kung Fu.

I found an interesting explanation from Sifu stating the differences between Shaolin Kung Fu and Tai Chi Chuan:

Both Shaolin Kungfu and Tai Chi Chuan are great martial arts originally developed by the Chinese but now practised by people of different race, culture and religion. While there are similar in their general aims and benefits, they are also very different in their philosophy and practice.

Generally speaking, both Shaolin Kungfu and Tai Chi Chuan aim to provide benefits attaining combat efficiency, health and vitality, longevity, mind expansion and spiritual joy. The details and approach, however, are quite different. For example, in their practice, Shaolin Kungfu is normally done in a fast, powerful manner, whereas Tai Chi Chuan is performed slowly and gracefully. This gives the general, but not exactly correct, impression that Shaolin Kungfu is "hard", whereas Tai Chi Chuan is "soft". What many people do not realize is that if we perform Shaolin Kungfu slowly, it may look like Tai Chi Chuan; and if we perform Tai Chi Chuan fast, it may look like Shaolin Kungfu.

Shaolin philosophy is Zen in nature, whereas that of Tai Chi Chuan is Taoist. Hence, Shaolin techniques are simple, direct and effective, which are characteristic of Zen Buddhism. Tai Chi Chuan techniques are flowing and continuous, reflecting the water process regarded as the supreme of the five elemental processes in Taoism.

Shaolin philosophy pays much attention to compassion and wisdom, the two hallmarks of Mahayana Buddhism, of which Zen Buddhism is a major school. Shaolin disciples, therefore, avoid hurting their opponents in combat, and meditation (the path to cosmic wisdom) constitutes an integral part of their training.

Taoist philosophy pays much attention to going along with nature, and attaining longevity and immortality. Tai Chi Chuan disciples, therefore, flow with their opponents' movements (instead of going against them), and chi kung (the art to good health and longevity, and for those who are ready, to immortality) forms an essential part of their practice.
                            The complete article is found here.

I am looking forward hearing your thoughts on this matter. It is a very interesting discussion. :-)

Another question I would love to hear the answer from the Shaolin Wahnam Family: Why would you choose to practice Shaolin Kung Fu rather than Wahnam Tai Chi Chuan or the other way around?

With Love, Care and Shaolin Salute,

Santi

Comment

Why I chosen to practice Wudang Taijiquan/Kungfu

Originally posted by sancrica View Post

I think that both names honor greatly this wonderful Art and both names are, in my opinion, great names.

I believe that, in our school, there is an emphasis to differentiate Tai Chi Chuan from Shaolin Kung Fu. Therefore, there are two different Syllabus. One for Shaolin Kung Fu and another one for Wahnam Tai Chi Chuan.

This thread, again, is a great opportunity for learning more about these wonderful Arts. Why do we differentiate Shaolin Kung Fu from Wahnam Tai Chi Chuan? If both arts are coming from Shaolin Kung Fu, why the differentiation? Is it because their philosophy is different? or maybe because of their principles and practice?

I heard Sifu saying that Shaolin Kung Fu practitioners will benefit much from learning Tai Chi Chuan and Wahnam Tai Chi Chuan practitioners would benefit much from learning Shaolin Kung Fu. There must be then a difference between Shaolin Kung Fu and Tai Chi Chuan. May I ask what that difference is?

If we choose to call it Wudang Kung Fu, because of the reasons stated on this thread, then Wahnam Tai Chi Chuan would inevitably follow the same reasoning as Tai Chi Chuan originated from Zhang San Feng and would have to be called Wahnam Kung Fu.

I found an interesting explanation from Sifu stating the differences between Shaolin Kung Fu and Tai Chi Chuan:

The complete article is found here.

I am looking forward hearing your thoughts on this matter. It is a very interesting discussion. :-)

Another question I would love to hear the answer from the Shaolin Wahnam Family: Why would you choose to practice Shaolin Kung Fu rather than Wahnam Tai Chi Chuan or the other way around?

Santi
                              Dear Santi,

Thanks again for your excellent comments and questions. We got lucky earlier having your questions answered directly from Sifu!
                              Hopefuly, we might get lucky and your questions and comments will find answers and or some interesting thoughts from some of our family members as well.

And to start, I will like to answer your question:

I have chosen to practice Wudang Taijiquan/Kungfu because it's the pinnacle of Shaolin Kungfu. I have always srtived for excelence and always been very curious about finding the ultimate answers to problems and situations in my life. That had lead me to find slowly but surely to find the absolute best teachers in both my passions. Spiritual cultivation and Martial Arts.

Years before I started my formal Spiritual cultivation in sitting meditation, I had already started my formal martial arts training in Karate, where I achieved local and international recognition due to my excellent fighting skills. But I was not satisfied! Something was missing, so due to my continued search I was lead to find my Guru. The last Realised Master in the Kriya Yoga lineage, the mother sourse of all Yogas, mentioned in the Vedas.

That came at a pivotal moment in my life, where my marriage and family environment was crushed to the ground. So I did the next best thing, and that was to immerse myself on my spritual practice and tried to find answers to deal with such a mess. Had to deal with false acusations, which lead to being arrested and incarserated falsly, being denied acces to my loving children at their most vulnareble ages, having my children basically secuestred and not knowing where they might be, having to deal with the rejection and disrigard of "friends" and neighbours, having to deal with my daugher being molested by my expartner's new boyfriend and not being able to deffend her, etc...

So, answers I found from the deepest parts of my Self and continued walking my walk and walking my talk, or my Spirit's talk and walk, and slowly but surely, by the grace of Guru, Truth revealed itself and I was able to gain Legal Custody of all my children, one by one... Talk about Yu-Wei and Wu-Wei? I know by experience not even praticing "consciously".

After some years of dealing with such matters I finally was able to continue my Martial Arts training, so my search for a real Kungfu master lead me to learn from a very "recognized" local teacher. Famous for his impecable Kungu "Forms". Member of the International Wushu Federation, I don't need to get into details where this is going... So, after some years of training and learning Taiji Dance and Qigong (Gentle Physical Excercises), I started to feel the urge to continue my search of a real Master.

Thanks to my previous Sifu, I did already know what not to look for, so I was intruduced to Sifu's teaching's from a very "special" student who came to the Kwoon. For some reason she even had and gave me Sifu's personal phone number! So I ordered Sifu's Art of Chi Kung and the Complete Book of Tai Chi Chuan, and that was it. I knew then my search was over!

After being accepted as a student by Sifu in 2009, I started practicing my Taiji Dance following Sifu's advice and letting go everything else, immersed myself in this wonderful journey of discovery. It did not took long before I started to sense the difference and my Taiji Dance slowly but surely became something different, it came alive. I cannot say it is Taijiquan or Wudang Kungfu just yet, as I am still discovering how to master the skills to use it for combat for slowly but surely I am getting there.

You see I was already a very succesful fighter and I was lucky to find also a very rare and beautiful meditation technique in which I was initiated by a Realized Master so to find Sifu and his generosity in guiding me to continue discovering how to manifest this wonderful art of Wudang Taijiquan/Kungfu was the only thing missing in my journey. What's left is to continue learning and training of how to achieve the absolute potential in this lifetime...

Being able to master this wonderful art to its maximum potential in all its dimensions an achieve the pinnacle in Kungfu development in this lifetime is my honorable aim. That will be my humble contribution to bring back the glory of Kungfu! Whether I will be able to achieve my noble aim, remains to be seen, but surely, I will continue do my best to diligently practice acording to Sifu's instructions...

Best wishes,
                              Angel
                              Last edited by Angel Guillermo; 23 July 2017, 08:11 PM.

Comment

I would like to thank you Angel Sidai for your wonderful and inspiring story. It is always so enriching to hear about other family members Shaolin Journeys. I am very sure that many family members will benefit from it. It is amazing to see what these wonderful Arts are capable of.

Dear Anger Sidai, by reading your last post a question arose in my mind. Wudang Taijiquan/Kung Fu is the Pinnacle of Shaolin Kung Fu. "The Essence of Shaolin" contains the best combat techniques of Shaolin Kung Fu and therefore it is called "The Essence of Shaolin". What is the difference between "The Pinnacle of Shaolin Kung Fu" and "The Essence of Shaolin Kung Fu"?

Santi

Comment

Working...
                                X