Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it Wudang Taijiquan or Wudang Kungfu?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dear Angel Sisook,

Thank you for starting this excellent thread and sharing your heartfelt story.

The great master Zhang San Feng called his Art as Taiji in his treatise. Even though I would prefer to call it as (Shaolin) Wudang Kungfu to emphasize its roots and put it apart from "mosquito catching" (Taiji dance), I don't think anyone could honor the Patriarch of Internal Martial Arts better than preserving both the name and essence he already gave it centuries ago.

Dear Santi Sisook,

Originally posted by sancrica View Post
    Dear Anger Sidai, by reading your last post a question arose in my mind. Wudang Taijiquan/Kung Fu is the Pinnacle of Shaolin Kung Fu. "The Essence of Shaolin" contains the best combat techniques of Shaolin Kung Fu and therefore it is called "The Essence of Shaolin". What is the difference between "The Pinnacle of Shaolin Kung Fu" and "The Essence of Shaolin Kung Fu"?
    I beg your forgiveness for being a poor substitute for Angel Sisook, but I wanted to share my thoughts.

The essence of all martial arts is combat efficiency, hence the Essence of Shaolin concerns the best combat techniques of the greatest martial art. As it happens, this essential skill of combat efficiency can be trained and taught in many levels, from total beginners to marvellous application. Sigung also made a point to mention that the Essence of Shaolin is a pattern-set without having directly arranged combat sequences of its own, so the combat applications are made the finest essence.

The pinnacle of all martial arts is when in addition to combat efficiency the martial art involves triple cultivation of jing, qi, and shen. It results in good health, vitality, longevity, and spiritual joys as everyone training martial arts in our School knows. Wudang Taijiquan was the first art, and also a refinement and spiritual offshoot of Shaolin Kungfu, to attain this peak. By calling it the "Pinnacle of Shaolin Kungfu" we rightfully honor and dignify Wudang Taijiquan/Kungfu as a treasure of historical importance, even though there might be new developments such as Wudang Cotton Palm and Dragon Strength which might be even more cost efficient, representing modern pinnacles, for combat application and triple cultivation.

With sincere respect,
    Olli

Comment

Very interesting question

Dear Shaolin Wahnam Family,

I would like to thank you Angel Sidai for your wonderful and inspiring story. It is always so enriching to hear about other family members Shaolin Journeys. I am very sure that many family members will benefit from it. It is amazing to see what these wonderful Arts are capable of.

Dear Anger Sidai, by reading your last post a question arose in my mind. Wudang Taijiquan/Kung Fu is the Pinnacle of Shaolin Kung Fu. "The Essence of Shaolin" contains the best combat techniques of Shaolin Kung Fu and therefore it is called "The Essence of Shaolin". What is the difference between "The Pinnacle of Shaolin Kung Fu" and "The Essence of Shaolin Kung Fu"?

With Love, Care and Shaolin Salute,

Santi
      Dear Santi,

Thanks so much for your comments and I'm very happy that my very short and condenced story, brought some inspirartion to you. I am very pleased also that it had helped raised yet another very interesting question:

What is the difference between "The Pinnacle of Shaolin Kung Fu" and "The Essence of Shaolin Kung Fu"?
      I might have some clues, after taking the Course on the Essence of Shaolin, in the mean time, another question came to mind. A slightly different way of arranging your question. How The Essence of Shaolin will enrich and compliment our Wudang Kungfu practice? Again, that is something I look forward to experience during and after receiving Sifu's transmission of the Essence of Shaolin.

Looking forward to more exciting conversation...

Best wishes,
      Angel
      [/SIGPIC] Sifu Ángel Pérez
      Shaolin Wahnam Institute Puerto Rico

"Life becomes more meaningful and beautiful as you work towards the realization of your own innate immortality."
      - Grandmaster Wong Kiew Kit

"La vida se vuelve más significativa y hermosa según trabajas hacia la realización de tu propia innata inmortalidad."
      - Gran Maestro Wong Kiew Kit

Comment

Another vote for Wudang Taijiquan

Originally posted by understanding View Post
        Dear Angel Sisook,

Thank you for starting this excellent thread and sharing your heartfelt story.

The great master Zhang San Feng called his Art as Taiji in his treatise. Even though I would prefer to call it as (Shaolin) Wudang Kungfu to emphasize its roots and put it apart from "mosquito catching" (Taiji dance), I don't think anyone could honor the Patriarch of Internal Martial Arts better than preserving both the name and essence he already gave it centuries ago.

Dear Santi Sisook,

I beg your forgiveness for being a poor substitute for Angel Sisook, but I wanted to share my thoughts.

The essence of all martial arts is combat efficiency, hence the Essence of Shaolin concerns the best combat techniques of the greatest martial art. As it happens, this essential skill of combat efficiency can be trained and taught in many levels, from total beginners to marvellous application. Sigung also made a point to mention that the Essence of Shaolin is a pattern-set without having directly arranged combat sequences of its own, so the combat applications are made the finest essence.

The pinnacle of all martial arts is when in addition to combat efficiency the martial art involves triple cultivation of jing, qi, and shen. It results in good health, vitality, longevity, and spiritual joys as everyone training martial arts in our School knows. Wudang Taijiquan was the first art, and also a refinement and spiritual offshoot of Shaolin Kungfu, to attain this peak. By calling it the "Pinnacle of Shaolin Kungfu" we rightfully honor and dignify Wudang Taijiquan/Kungfu as a treasure of historical importance, even though there might be new developments such as Wudang Cotton Palm and Dragon Strength which might be even more cost efficient, representing modern pinnacles, for combat application and triple cultivation.

With sincere respect,
        Olli
        Dear Olli,

Thanks so much for yor comments. You don't need to appologize for making known your toughts. This is a place for learning and I hope this little conversation help us all understand better this wonderful arts and ourselves. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and taking part in the conversation. Your contribution is greatly apreciated.

Best wishes,
        Angel

"Life becomes more meaningful and beautiful as you work towards the realization of your own innate immortality."

"La vida se vuelve más significativa y hermosa según trabajas hacia la realización de tu propia innata inmortalidad."

Comment

Dear Angel Sisook,

Thank you for starting this interesting thread. My vote is for Wudang Tai Chi Chuan.

Best wishes,
          Dominic.

Comment

Shaolin Kungfu or Wahnam Taijiquan

Dear family,

Thank you raising such interesting questions.

Dear Santi, you asked: Another question I would love to hear the answer from the Shaolin Wahnam Family: Why would you choose to practice Shaolin Kung Fu rather than Wahnam Tai Chi Chuan or the other way around?

If I would have to choose one over the other, I would choose Shaolin Kungfu. Why? Because within Shaolin Kungfu are all kungfu styles.

When I was 14 years old I tried martial arts for the first time. I started with Aikido. I liked it a lot, but since I was in my teenage years, my attention span was rather short. I also tried boxing and other western styles, but I didn’t quite feel at home with any of them.
            Then through a lucky chance, when I was 19 years old, I found a Taiji teacher. My teacher did not emphasise combat in his teaching (as most Taiji teachers don’t), but he did teach Zen. For that, I am most grateful. All prior martial arts I had trained had lacked the mind aspect completely.
            Thus I was introduced to Zen training and zazen practice. It was through here that my interest towards eastern practices grew and I read a lot of literature on the subjects.
            I actually became a Taiji teacher myself, and taught Taiji for a couple of years in my teachers school.
            I also found another more traditional Taiji and Baji master, and spent a couple of years in his classes.

But it was when my boyfriend (now my husband) went to Malaysia to an Intensive Chi Kung course, and came home with a big smile, that I knew I had to go as well. Half a year later I went to Malaysia myself. After that I stopped teaching Taiji, because I understood that what I had learned was only the form, and it would have been an insult (in my mind) to continue my teaching.

Now I am very grateful to be able to teach Taijiquan as a complete martial art. Because of my background I am most passionate about it. But in my own practice I practice 75% Shaolin Kungfu and 25% Taijiquan. You could say that Shaolin Kungfu stole my heart.
            When I had first started Shaolin Chi Kung practice I used to sometimes get these rather strange chi flows where I would move in ways I had never learned anywhere. I asked Markus about it and he said they were Shaolin Kungfu movements. Later, after I had had the chance to attend a few kungfu courses with Sifu I started to lean towards Shaolin Kungfu more and more. I felt I had found my way home.
            I actually remember the first time I held a staff when I started learning the staff sets and felt very strongly “ Now I’m home.” I often get his feeling when I practice.

So, if made to choose, I would choose Shaolin Kungfu. Luckily, I don’t have to, and can enjoy both of them.
            Actually, I would recommend practicing both arts, since they compliment each other in wonderful ways.

Best wishes,

Nessa
            Nessa Kahila
            Shaolin Nordic Finland
            Instructor
            nessa@shaolin-nordic.com

www.shaolin-nordic.com

Comment

Another vote for Wudang Taijiquan

Originally posted by Dominic Roche View Post
              Dear Angel Sisook,

Thank you for starting this interesting thread. My vote is for Wudang Tai Chi Chuan.

Best wishes,
              Dominic.
              Dear Dominic,

Thanks so much for your contribution to the conversation.

Best wishes,
              Angel

Comment

Beautiful Love Story!

Originally posted by Nessa View Post
                Dear family,

Dear Santi, you asked: Another question I would love to hear the answer from the Shaolin Wahnam Family: Why would you choose to practice Shaolin Kung Fu rather than Wahnam Tai Chi Chuan or the other way around?

If I would have to choose one over the other, I would choose Shaolin Kungfu. Why? Because within Shaolin Kungfu are all kungfu styles.

When I was 14 years old I tried martial arts for the first time. I started with Aikido. I liked it a lot, but since I was in my teenage years, my attention span was rather short. I also tried boxing and other western styles, but I didn’t quite feel at home with any of them.
                Then through a lucky chance, when I was 19 years old, I found a Taiji teacher. My teacher did not emphasise combat in his teaching (as most Taiji teachers don’t), but he did teach Zen. For that, I am most grateful. All prior martial arts I had trained had lacked the mind aspect completely.
                Thus I was introduced to Zen training and zazen practice. It was through here that my interest towards eastern practices grew and I read a lot of literature on the subjects.
                I actually became a Taiji teacher myself, and taught Taiji for a couple of years in my teachers school.
                I also found another more traditional Taiji and Baji master, and spent a couple of years in his classes.

But it was when my boyfriend (now my husband) went to Malaysia to an Intensive Chi Kung course, and came home with a big smile, that I knew I had to go as well. Half a year later I went to Malaysia myself. After that I stopped teaching Taiji, because I understood that what I had learned was only the form, and it would have been an insult (in my mind) to continue my teaching.

Now I am very grateful to be able to teach Taijiquan as a complete martial art. Because of my background I am most passionate about it. But in my own practice I practice 75% Shaolin Kungfu and 25% Taijiquan. You could say that Shaolin Kungfu stole my heart.
                When I had first started Shaolin Chi Kung practice I used to sometimes get these rather strange chi flows where I would move in ways I had never learned anywhere. I asked Markus about it and he said they were Shaolin Kungfu movements. Later, after I had had the chance to attend a few kungfu courses with Sifu I started to lean towards Shaolin Kungfu more and more. I felt I had found my way home.
                I actually remember the first time I held a staff when I started learning the staff sets and felt very strongly “ Now I’m home.” I often get his feeling when I practice.

So, if made to choose, I would choose Shaolin Kungfu. Luckily, I don’t have to, and can enjoy both of them.
                Actually, I would recommend practicing both arts, since they compliment each other in wonderful ways.

Best wishes,

Nessa
                Dear Nessa,

Thanks so much for sharing your very inspiring and beautiful love story! It is wonderful how you where able to find your way back home and now can enjoy and share such wonderful blessings with others. I am very happy for you and those lucky enough to deserve learning from you!

Best wishes,
                Angel

Comment

Originally posted by Nessa View Post
                  Dear family,

When I was 14 years old I tried martial arts for the first time. I started with Aikido. I liked it a lot, but since I was in my teenage years, my attention span was rather short. I also tried boxing and other western styles, but I didn’t quite feel at home with any of them...
                  Thank you Nessa Sije for sharing your beautiful story. It is always inspiring to read how family members connect with these wonderful arts.

Originally posted by understanding View Post
                  The essence of all martial arts is combat efficiency, hence the Essence of Shaolin concerns the best combat techniques of the greatest martial art. As it happens, this essential skill of combat efficiency can be trained and taught in many levels, from total beginners to marvellous application. Sigung also made a point to mention that the Essence of Shaolin is a pattern-set without having directly arranged combat sequences of its own, so the combat applications are made the finest essence...
                  Thank you Olli Sijat for your contribution.

Angel Sidai posted the other day on Facebook a very interesting article from Sifu explaining "The Benefits of Taijiquan on Shaolin Kung Fu". I am sure that many of you have already read it.

There was one part of Sifu's article that I didn't know:

I also discovered and had aha experiences how Taijiquan could enrich Shaolin Kungfu. If a student was rigid in his movement, by practicing his Shaolin sequences as if he was performing Taijiquan, he could not only overcome his rigid problem but make his movements flowing.

I discovered two important reasons why a small-sized Taijiquan exponent could defeat a bigger-sized opponent. One reason was internal force. The other reason was Taijiquan mechanics, and the core of Taijiquan mechanics was waist rotation. By rotating the waist, many Shaolin techniques that were otherwise difficult to perform, became easy.

Waist rotation led to fa-jing, or exploding force. The Taijiquan principle of “starting from the back leg, rotating the waist and ending at the hand” became very useful. By applying the principle of rotating the waist, I could help Shaolin students not only to explode spiral force, such as in “Black Tiger Steals Heart”, but make their palm strikes powerful, realizing the Shaolin principle that the palm was more powerful than the fist.

Waist rotation and exploding force were also found in Shaolin Kungfu, but were emphasized in Taijiquan. My discoveries and aha experiences in Taijiquan enriched my practice and teaching of Shaolin Kungfu. Of course, my understanding and attainment in Shaolin Kungfu greatly enhanced my Taijiquan too. It was because of my Shaolin Kungfu that I could perform well in Taijiquan. Indeed, some people kindly said that my attainment in Taijiquan was better than many established Taijiquan masters.
                  If you are interested on reading the full article, you can find it here.

So, that led me to another question. Does Wudang Taijiquan/Kungfu emphasize waist rotation? I would love to hear your thoughts on this.

Santi

Comment

NO TWO DOOR: Ten Essentials on Wudang Kungfu

Thank you Nessa Sije for sharing your beautiful story. It is always inspiring to read how family members connect with these wonderful arts.

Thank you Olli Sijat for your contribution.

Angel Sidai posted the other day on Facebook a very interesting article from Sifu explaining "The Benefits of Taijiquan on Shaolin Kung Fu". I am sure that many of you have already read it.

There was one part of Sifu's article that I didn't know:

If you are interested on reading the full article, you can find it here.

So, that led me to another question. Does Wudang Taijiquan/Kungfu emphasize waist rotation? I would love to hear your thoughts on this.

Santi
                    Dear Santi,

Thanks so much for your contribution to this conversation. I am glad that it had inspired you to further your inquiry and understanding of Wudang Kungfu. From the same artcicle you just quoted you also can find Sifu's explanation to the dilema that prompted this conversation:

Wudang Taijiquan was special. It was the closest to Shaolin Kungfu. In fact it was the climax of Shaolin Kungfu, and was actually called Wudang Shaolin Kungfu. But the Wudang Taijiquan Set that I reconstructed from classical sources was very long because I did not want to miss out anything important.
                    So to comment on your latest question:

Here are my thoughts. Altough it is not directly mentioned, rotation of the waist is implied on the "Focusing Spirtit Accumulating Energy Treatise in Grand Ultimate" by Imortal Zhang San Feng. Specificaly on a section called "No Two Door" which means "Gate of No Other Way". Here, Immortal Zhang San Feng mention "Ten Essentials in Wudang Kungfu Practice" and emphasized that there were no other way to practice Wudang Kungfu. You can check the links but I will enumerate them for your convenience.

The Ten Essentials in Wudang Kungfu Practice:

1. Empy your mind of all thoughts
                    2. Do not tense any muscles
                    3. Loosen your waist
                    4. Principle of false-real
                    5. Principle of sinkng and pressing
                    6. Using intention and not using strengh
                    7. Co-ordination of top and bottom
                    8. Integration of internal and external
                    9. One gentle, graceful flow whithout any break
                    10. Movement in stillness, stillness in movement

And like I stated before, I am convinced that Sifu's aha moments during his Wudang Kungfu training had came about do to his natural progression in Shaolin Kunfu practice, the same way Immortal Zhang San Feng did.

Luckily for you, others and myslef, we might have an excellent opportunity to learn and gain tremendous insight from Sifu, on this NO TWO DOOR: Ten Essential on Wudan Kungfu, next year in the beautiful island of Puerto Rico...

Looking forward to more interesting questions and comments during the course of this conversation.

Best Wishes,
                    Angel

Comment

Originally posted by Angel Guillermo View Post
                      Dear Santi,

Thanks so much for your contribution to this conversation. I am glad that it had inspired you to further your inquiry and understanding of Wudang Kungfu.
                      Thank you Sidai for your kind words. It was very kind of you to have started this thread. I am sure that many people are benefiting from it.

So to comment on your latest question: Here are my thoughts. Altough it is not directly mentioned, rotation of the waist is implied on the "Focusing Spirtit Accumulating Energy Treatise in Grand Ultimate" by Imortal Zhang San Feng. Specificaly on a section called "No Two Door" which means "Gate of No Other Way". Here, Immortal Zhang San Feng mention "Ten Essentials in Wudang Kungfu Practice" and emphasized that there were no other way to practice Wudang Kungfu.
                      Thank you Sidai for sharing more about the Treatise. Isn't it amazing and wonderful that Sifu has translated it for all of us? So many secrets contained on it! What a privilege it is and how generous Sifu always is with all of us.

Luckily for you, others and myslef, we might have an excellent opportunity to learn and gain tremendous insight from Sifu, on this NO TWO DOOR: Ten Essential on Wudan Kungfu, next year in the beautiful island of Puerto Rico...
                      Looking forward to the details of this excellent opportunity on Puerto Rico. It sounds amazing!

Looking forward to more interesting questions and comments during the course of this conversation.
                      Another questions that popped in my mind were the following:

If we refer to Wudang Taijiquan/Kung Fu as Shaolin Kung Fu, does the Taijiquan taught at our school refer more to, for example, the Chen and Yang styles? Are the 12 sequences from our syllabus taken from Chen and Yang styles? Does anybody know the philosophy and history behind the 12 sequences of Wahnam Taijiquan?

Thank you all for sharing your thoughts on this very interesting thread.

Santi

Comment

Another questions that popped in my mind were the following:

If we refer to Wudang Taijiquan/Kung Fu as Shaolin Kung Fu, does the Taijiquan taught at our school refer more to, for example, the Chen and Yang styles? Are the 12 sequences from our syllabus taken from Chen and Yang styles? Does anybody know the philosophy and history behind the 12 sequences of Wahnam Taijiquan?
                        I asked that once, and IIRC the answer is that Wahnam Taijiquan is a "mix" of Chen, Yang and Wudang styles. But I might be remembering incorrectly

Comment

Working...
                        X