Special Course on Levels 10-12 in 2018 in Penang

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tim View Post
    Whilst it does sound fun Leo, there are also time and financial restrictions, unfortunately.
    Sounds somehow familiar to me. Would love to come to the UK Summer Camp as well, but have to set priorities...
    Sifu Leonard Lackinger

Shaolin Treasure House

Shaolin Wahnam Wien & Shaolin Treasure House

Comment

The last time we did the multiple opponents was awesome so this time will be even better

Looking forward to this again.

Best wishes
      Mark

Comment

In case you have not yet seen Sifu’s latest announcement on the special Multiple opponent course in Malaysia 2018 here it is:

Originally the course, which was conveniently called "filling in the gaps" of the basic kungfu syllabuses, was planned to be held in the middle of 2018 so that the various Protectors of various arts could be announced early, but as Sifu Andrew Barnett suggested to have it at the end of the year, and Sifu Tim Franklin who had attended an earlier course in 2009 and wanted to attend again, commented he might not be able to, due to the UK Summer Camp held at a similar time, Grandmaster Wong has decided to shift the course to the end of the year.

Sifu Leonard Lackinger has suggested more poetic names for the course, and one of his suggestions will be used. So we can look forward to 2018 with wonderful courses, starting with the Shaolin Winter Camp in snow-covered Lapland, and concluding with "Finishing Touch in Becoming a Shaolin Wahnam Kungfu Practitioner",which will be held next to the "Cultivating Spirit, Training Energy: Embodying the Wisdom of Zhang San Feng Course" proposed by Sifu Barry and Sifu Tim, in equatorial Malaysia.
        http://www.shaolin.org
        Tim Franklin

http://www.theguardianlions.co.uk
        A story of finding Courage and Wisdom

www.zenarts.co.uk Classes and Courses for Shaolin Kung Fu, Taijiquan and Qigong in Bognor Regis, Chichester, West Sussex

Fully Alive on Facebook Energy Flow for Health and Happiness

UK Summer Camp Qigong, Taijiquan, Shaolin Kung Fu, Spiritual Cultivation with Grandmaster Wong Kiew Kit

sigpic

Comment

Awesome!

In case you have not yet seen Sifu’s latest announcement on the special Multiple opponent course in Malaysia 2018 here it is:

http://www.shaolin.org
          Dear Chancho,

Awesome news that you will be able to attend, so we can meet and slap each other in the face!

Best wishes,
          Nacho
          [/SIGPIC] Sifu Ángel Pérez
          Shaolin Wahnam Institute Puerto Rico

"Life becomes more meaningful and beautiful as you work towards the realization of your own innate immortality."
          - Grandmaster Wong Kiew Kit

"La vida se vuelve más significativa y hermosa según trabajas hacia la realización de tu propia innata inmortalidad."
          - Gran Maestro Wong Kiew Kit

Comment

I cannot find the announcement for the Level 10 to 12 course in December 2018 on Sifu's website now, but this thread has provided plenty of information. So, I take it that the course will be called "Finishing Touch" and will be either before or after the Legacy of Zhang Sanfeng course?

I was one of the lucky ones who attended the course in 2009. Because the scope of the 2009 course was so wide - ranging from all the sets in Levels 7 to 9, plus kungfu against other arts, we ended up spending only 2 days on Levels 10 to 12, and I have always wished we had more time to work on this crucial aspect of Shaolin Kungfu, because I could not help feeling that I never really assimilated the lessons.

However, I hope Sifu will still spend some time review some of the weapons sets and secret applications because not all of us have attended the regional courses (or that mega Special Weapons course in KL) where the secrets of the sword, staff, sabre and spear, among others, were taught.

For ease of reference, I have included the link to the Shaolin Wahnam Shaolin Kungfu syllabus here.
            百德以孝为先
            Persevere in correct practice

Comment

Hi all,

I just wanted to check in with everyone to see if anyone's heard any further about this course regarding the dates, requirements to attend, what should be reviewed prior to the course, and all of those other moving parts that go into making sure a course runs smoothly. I'm especially keen to know whether or not I'm even qualified to attend, especially given my rather haphazard acquisition of knowledge from the basic Shaolin kung fu syllabus. I definitely want to attend, though!

On a related note, I am curious to know more about kung fu weapons, especially for the Ho family Flowing Water Staff and the Plum Flower Knife. What are the recommended dimensions for those weapons in terms of length and weight? Does anyone have a recommended retailer for training weapons? I was planning on holding off getting "real" or "legitimate" kung fu weapons until after I'd formally learnt them (no point in putting down several hundred dollars on a saber that I can't even use correctly, after all), but was curious to know what all people have used before making such drastic purchases.

All the best, folks,

- Fred
              I like making silly videos (including kung fu ones!) every so often on YouTube and taking pictures of weird things on Instagram.

Comment

Hey Fred!!

I like your questions! Since we actually never met, it is difficult to know whether you are qualified or not. I think this is a good question to ask Sigung or a local instructor.

I also don´t know where you are in the syllabus, so this is just a very general answer.
                I suggest taking at least the Shaolin Kung Fu Intensive beforehand. It will provide the basics and the necessary programme to prepare for further levels.

"March 18 to 24: Penang -- Intensive Shaolin Kungfu Course"

Then one will only be short of Cross Roads at Four Gates, Shaolin Staff and Shaolin Sabre. Since levels 10-12 require weapon fundamentals, students in general should understand them beforehand. So it means a lot of preparation.

The dates for the Intensive Course on Levels 10-12 are not announced yet, however from what I know, the tentative dates are in December. I am sure we will know more details soon.
                I doubt that the basics of staff and saber will be taught at the Levels 10-12 Course, hence staff is taught at level 8 and saber at level 9 of the syllabus. So students attending should probably know the staff / saber fundamentals. But also here, we will know more, once the course is announced.

Here are some details on saber and staff. I have bought my staff from a DIY store, with an estimated length of about 7 feet (2,1 meters). It was the heaviest wood they had (if I remember correctly it was calamus, which is not the heaviest wood in general), the diameter was just right to fill the hand (not too thin, not too thick).

The saber was bought at a German online store for ca. 80 euros, the most important was a stable, non-wobbly, blade. It´s length is about 75-80 cm / 2,6 feet.
                There are some good weapon retailers in the states, maybe one of our American SWI members can comment on that.
                After the Special Weapon Course in 2016, I got some weapons in China from taobao.com. They offer a huge variety and some ship internationally.

With best regards,
                Anton.
                Last edited by Anton S.; 6 January 2018, 10:57 AM.
                Engage and maintain joyful practice!

May all of you get the best benefits from what you do.

Anton Schmick
                Shaolin Wahnam Germany Nord

shaolinwahnamchina.com
                http://chikunghamburg.wordpress.com
                http://shaolinwahnam-nord.de
                http://kungfu-luebeck.de

Comment

Content:

Level 10: Unarmed against Armed

Form: Empty Hands Enter White Blade.

Application: Unarmed against dagger, staff and sabre.

Force: Countering feign moves.

Philosophy: The principles and practice of Apparent and Real.

Note: “Over Bridge, Flow with Water”.

Level 11: Single Unarmed against Multiple Unarmed
                  Form: Tiger Enters Herd of Sheep.

Application: Single unarmed against multiple unarmed.

Force: “Bamboo Man” or “Through the Woods”.

Philosophy: “Back-wall battle” and “Dodge-hit battle”.

Note: Agility stamina and endurance.

Level 12: Single Unarmed and Armed against Multiple Armed

Form: Dodge Hit.

Application: Single unarmed and armed against multiple armed.

Force: Dodging skills and using enemy as shields.

Philosophy: “Catch the Leader First” and “Break Through the Weakest”.

Note: Importance of mind and energy control.

Anton Schmick

shaolinwahnamchina.com

Comment

Sounds straight forward enough to me, thank you! Funnily enough, seeing how I've not taken the Intensive Shaolin course, nor have I had regular classes, I pretty much learnt the basic Shaolin sequences on my own from videos and took a few opportunities here and there to train them with my sihengs (once in 2015, once in 2016, and once in 2017...I have not had very many contacts with the Shaolin Wahnam family!) I was a silly person and wound up taking the Summer Camp course Baguazhang back in 2012 rather than the Intensive Shaolin course that year because I was afraid Sifu wouldn't teach Baguazhang again in such an in-depth manner.

I just recently was lucky enough to learn Cross Road at Four Gates and its combination set from my siheng, Chris Didyk, a few months ago, just before my medical residency started. Guess I should continue to work on that and await the opportunity to pick up levels 8 and 9 before thinking of attending this special course, heh. Lousy lack of experience! I have a few years of Japanese weapons training from my aiki jujutsu days, but I haven't been lucky enough to learn kung fu weapons just yet.

Thank you for your tips on the weapons, too! I just found the thread on Taijiquan weapon sizing from the recent Taijiquan Staff and Saber thread and was considering following those dimensions, too. Just need to find a retailer I trust for a saber once I get around to practicing it.
                    I like making silly videos (including kung fu ones!) every so often on YouTube and taking pictures of weird things on Instagram.

Comment

Hey Fred,

my comment was very general, I didn´t know what you´ve learned and what you didn´t.

If you know the basics well, all left to learn are staff and saber. And 11 months seem like enough time to do so.

Again, I would suggest getting in touch with a local instructor (maybe Sifu Chris ? ) who can check your progress and give some tips on what to train and what not and how to prepare for the course. Putting some work into it may give you very good results after all!

What do you think?

With best regards,
                      Anton.

Last edited by Anton S.; 7 January 2018, 11:06 AM.

Anton Schmick

shaolinwahnamchina.com

Comment

Just saw that the course is tentatively on the 9-15th...Looks like my finals week is the 10th-15th. Bummer.
                        Shaolin Wahnam USA

"Every morning you are born again. What you do today is the most important thing".

Comment

This past week I have been in email contact with Sifu re the courses running around November and December. Please do not take this as confirmed yet, as I am waiting for Wei Foong to confirm with us, but I believe the Kung Fu course will actually be the last week of November 2018.

From my understanding Sifu is planning on running three courses:

1. The Shaolin Kung Course
                          2. Cultivating Spirit, Training Energy / Embodying the Wisdom of Zhang San Feng course
                          3. Intensive Chi Kung Course.

As per our conversation with Sifu it has been suggested that the Shaolin Kung Fu course comes first, in the last week of November, followed by the Cultivating Spirit, Training Energy course on 7th - 8th December, with the intensive Chi Kung course after. Once we hear back from Wei Foong I should be able to confirm this as firm dates.

Please don't book your flights yet though :-)
                          Tim Franklin

http://www.theguardianlions.co.uk
                          A story of finding Courage and Wisdom

www.zenarts.co.uk Classes and Courses for Shaolin Kung Fu, Taijiquan and Qigong in Bognor Regis, Chichester, West Sussex

Fully Alive on Facebook Energy Flow for Health and Happiness

UK Summer Camp Qigong, Taijiquan, Shaolin Kung Fu, Spiritual Cultivation with Grandmaster Wong Kiew Kit

sigpic

Comment

This past week I have been in email contact with Sifu re the courses running around November and December. Please do not take this as confirmed yet, as I am waiting for Wei Foong to confirm with us, but I believe the Kung Fu course will actually be the last week of November 2018.
                            Moving the courses back into November could make life easier for some. December is a tough month to be travelling for many (year-end "stress", holiday/family season, etc.). I'll be watching the timing keenly
                            Sifu Andrew Barnett
                            Shaolin Wahnam Switzerland - www.shaolin-wahnam.ch

Flowing Health GmbH www.flowing-health.ch (Facebook: www.facebook.com/sifuandrew)
                            Healing Sessions with Sifu Andrew Barnett - in Switzerland and internationally
                            Heilbehandlungen mit Sifu Andrew Barnett - in der Schweiz und International

Comment

Looking at the calendar, I'm happy to see that this year, Thanksgiving is in the second to last week of November, so those of us in the States need not sacrifice one of our big family holidays for a, well, big Shaolin Wahnam family holiday!

Fred, in my opinion, you are certainly qualified to take the Levels 10-12 course. Considering that Sifu last taught it in, what, 2009? There's a strong chance he will not teach it again, so we must seize the opportunity if we can. Of course, you should prepare as best you can, and hopefully, we can get together again at some point and work some of it out.
                              Chris Didyk
                              Shaolin Wahnam USA

Thank You.

Comment

From Sifu's website:

Nov 28 to Dec 2: Intensive Chi Kung Course, Penang -- tentative
                                Dec 2 to 8: Cultivating Spirit Course, Penang -- tentative
                                Dec 9 to 15: Special Kungfu Course -- tentative

So, looks like it is a mid-December course instead.
                                百德以孝为先
                                Persevere in correct practice

Comment

Working...
                                X