No announcement yet.

Special Course on Levels 10-12 in 2018 in Penang

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For me, 2018 is impossible due to family situation, but in 2019 I’ll be able to travel again.
    Having had to miss the Essence of Shaolin, though for a very good reason, I’d love to attend this course.

Looking forward to hearing how the schedule goes.

Best wishes,

Nessa
    Nessa Kahila
    Shaolin Nordic Finland
    Instructor
    nessa@shaolin-nordic.com

www.shaolin-nordic.com

Comment

Current schedule on Sifu's website shows:
      Nov 26 to Dec 2: Becoming a Shaolin Wahnam Kungfu Practitioner -- Penang
      Dec 2 to 8: Cultivating Spirit Nourishing Energy -- Penang
      Dec 9 to 13: Intensive Chi Kung Course -- Penang
      Sifu Andrew Barnett
      Shaolin Wahnam Switzerland - www.shaolin-wahnam.ch

Flowing Health GmbH www.flowing-health.ch (Facebook: www.facebook.com/sifuandrew)
      Healing Sessions with Sifu Andrew Barnett - in Switzerland and internationally
      Heilbehandlungen mit Sifu Andrew Barnett - in der Schweiz und International

Comment

the dates are confirmed (see above)
        Engage and maintain joyful practice!

May all of you get the best benefits from what you do.

Anton Schmick
        Shaolin Wahnam Germany Nord

shaolinwahnamchina.com
        http://chikunghamburg.wordpress.com
        http://shaolinwahnam-nord.de
        http://kungfu-luebeck.de

Comment

Becoming a Shaolin Wahnam Kungfu Practitioner

Here are the details for the upcoming course "Becoming a Shaolin Wahnam Kungfu Practitioner" from 26th Nov to 2nd Dec 2018 in Penang.

This course conducted by Grandmaster Wong will include important lessons on applications of the Flowing Water Staff, the Plum Flower Sabre, the Taiji Staff and Wudang Sword, how to capture an opponent's weapon, single unarmed against multiple unarmed, and single unarmed against multiple armed.

Please apply to the Secretary as soon as possible but before 26th August 2018.

Those attending the course, please familiar yourselves with the routines of the following sets:

Either
          Lohan Asks the Way
          Four Gates
          Flowing Water Staff
          Plum Flower Sabre for Shaolin Kungfu practitioners,

or
          Cloud Hands
          Flowing Water Floating Clouds
          Taiji Staff
          Wudang Sword for Taijiquan practitioners.

Staffs, sabres, swords, other weapons or improvised sticks will be provided at the course.
          Sifu Leonard Lackinger

Shaolin Treasure House

Shaolin Wahnam Wien & Shaolin Treasure House

Comment

Sifu also provided some answers on the preparation for the "Practitioner" course:

The following two questions from Fang Jun, which are scheduled to appear in June 2019 Part 1, relate to the "Becoming a Shaolin Wahnam Kungfu Practitioner" course, and are therefore posted here.

Question

For those of us who wish to attend the course "Becoming A Shaolin Wahnam Kungfu Practitioner", how should we best prepare for it?

Answer

You can best prepare for the "Becoming a Shaolin Wahnam Kungfu Practitioner" course by being familiar with the 16 basic combat sequences (or 12 basic combat sequences for Taijiquan) and practicing Golden Bridge (or Three-Circle Stance for Taijiquan).
            This will give you the skills and techniques to spar with other course participants. This preparation, while being the best, is optional. In other words, you need not be familiar with the basic combat sequences and practice Golden Bridge if you don't want to.

Question

I have yet to learn the weapon sets. Is it necessary to learn the routines of the respective weapon sets from our school videos first?
            As for the multiple opponents training, are there any sets/routines that I should be learning or practicing beforehand?

Answer

You should be familiar with the three sets, which are Ho Family Flowing Water Staff, Shaolin Plum Flower Sabre and either Shaolin Traveling Dragon Sword or Wudang Sword. These sets are not compulsory, but being familiar with them will help you much when you learn their applications.
            Learning the weapon sets from my videos will be a great help. It is better if you can learn from a living instructor.
            There are no special sets for single unarmed against multiple unarmed and multiple armed. The applications are alive, i.e. depending on the existing conditions. Some general principles will be taught, and these principles are very useful.
            One can attend the course without preparation. But being familiar with the relevant kungfu sets will be very helpful.
            I'm looking forward to re-fresh the sets, to finally learn the Taiji staff and of course to see many seasoned practitioners in Penang!

Best wishes,

Leo
            Sifu Leonard Lackinger

Shaolin Treasure House

Shaolin Wahnam Wien & Shaolin Treasure House

Comment

Thanks!

Dear Leo,

Thanks for the update on the upcoming Special Course in Penang, and many thanks to Sifu for his answers to the posted questions.

Best wishes,
              Angel
              [/SIGPIC] Sifu Ángel Pérez
              Shaolin Wahnam Institute Puerto Rico

"Life becomes more meaningful and beautiful as you work towards the realization of your own innate immortality."
              - Grandmaster Wong Kiew Kit

"La vida se vuelve más significativa y hermosa según trabajas hacia la realización de tu propia innata inmortalidad."
              - Gran Maestro Wong Kiew Kit

Comment

Either
                Lohan Asks the Way
                Four Gates
                Flowing Water Staff
                Plum Flower Sabre for Shaolin Kungfu practitioners, or
                ----
                Cloud Hands
                Flowing Water Floating Clouds
                Taiji Staff
                Wudang Sword for Taijiquan practitioners.
                These are all very beautiful sets and a joy to learn. I feel lucky to have attended courses and practiced 6 of them already, just missing the two weapons sets Plum Flower Sabre and Flowing Water Staff from the Shaolin Selection.
                Even tho it looks right now that I cannot attend the Practioners Course in the end of November, it will nevertheless be a wonderful opportunity to review the known sets and prepare the two missing ones.
                Who knows sometimes doors open, one does not expect , so we better be prepared.
                Enjoy some Wahnam Tai Chi Chuan & Qi Gong!

Evening Classes in Zürich
                Weekend Classes in other Swiss locations

Facebook: www.facebook.com/Taichichuan.Wahnam.ch

Comment

Dear family,

I returned home from the Becoming a Wahnam Practitioner course a couple of days ago, and I am already feeling its blessings.

With so much to cover, I was curious what the format of the course would be. The first two days, we reviewed the basic stances as well as the sets: Cross Roads at Four Gates, Cloud Hands, Ho Family Flowing Water Staff, Taiji Staff, Plum Flower Sabre, and Wudang Sword. For the weapons, we also split into groups and worked out applications. We had enough people for eight groups, so for the staff sets we had two groups each work on the first half of the Flowing Water Staff, the second half of the Flowing Water Staff, the first half of the Taiji Staff, and the second half of the Taiji Staff. We did the same for Plum Flower Sabre and Wudang Sword. Suprisingly, we did a lot of sitting down and talking, and Sifu actively managed the energetic level of our training so that we wouldn't overtrain. The sessions were fairly short, and we only did a little bit of chi flow, often walking around after finishing a set instead. For me, it was just right because I came to the course still recovering from overtraining during Sifu's recent visit to the US and the discussions drew out a lot of important details I wouldn't have otherwise known. When going through the form of the sets, we all saw why Sifu calls Leo "The Living Encyclopedia"

The last three days were filled with almost non-stop application work and no chi flow. There was certainly an energetic component, though, and the shen training in particular was very high level. We learned and put into practice the philosophies and tactics of fighting unarmed vs. multiple unarmed opponents, disarming various weapons, fighting armed vs. multiple armed opponents, and fighting unarmed vs. multiple armed opponents. Sifu also went into some detail about the characteristics of different weapons and general weapons combat philosophy. We kept things pretty slow so we could focus on developing the relevant skills (especially when weapons were involved), but there were some occasions where we ramped it up a bit. We had a really great group on the course, with multiple generations of instructors, some of whom I hadn't had the pleasure of training with in years. Everyone was a joy to work with and did really well. The energy in the room stayed focused and relaxed. After most sessions, several people stuck around and did impromptu sparring with and without weapons. I didn't participate as much as I would've liked to (due to the overtraining I mentioned before), but when I did, it was highly rewarding. It was also a lot of fun to watch the others.

Sifu emphasized precision and decisiveness. With multiple attackers, especially when weapons are involved, the margin for error is very small. When it went well, it felt amazing, but one small mistake, and things went downhill fast! Sifu also emphasized not to assume an attacker is out unless they have been struck down decisively. At times, I felt like the Black Knight from Monty Python's Holy Grail when I switched hands after my initial sword hand was sliced or started hopping on one foot after my leg was chopped off, but it was a potentially life-saving lesson when a wounded-but-not-finished opponent took out a practitioner who had presumed them dead and moved onto other threats.

The need to actually make light contact (even with weapons) also became apparent to me as it was otherwise too easy to believe you had successfully countered an attack or be completely unaware someone had struck you several times from behind. There was the odd poke or cut, often more due to so many groups practicing in close proximity to each other, but there were no serious injuries and the level of control was excellent over all.

I walked away with some powerful takeaways from this course. First, I believe Sifu showed us how to train kung fu well without making it too energetically powerful. This has been a big problem for me the last couple of years seemingly no matter what I train, and many of the other instructors I spoke with about it shared my experience. We want to always push forward, as the cleansing we encounter is beneficial, but ideally, we want to progress in a sustainable way that allows us to still work on our other objectives, too. For some time, Sifu has emphasized reducing the level of our training to prevent overtraining, but it can be difficult to do so, and requires a strong intention to explicitly set and maintain the intended level. After this course, I don't think that will be necessary. I believe I will be able to practice combat application as much as I like without it becoming over-training. The energetic aspect is there, but can stay at a lower level that actually improves my training. There is no perceived trade-off.

Related to that, I also had a major breakthrough in my ability to control and apply internal force. For years now, I have had the feeling that I have much more internal force than I am able to actually apply in sparring. Even after I became aware of a physical component of this blockage in my shoulders, I knew there was something more to it, I just didn't know what. During the St Pete courses I felt my entire shoulder girdle shift energetically into a more upright alignment, which immediately felt so much better. During the Practitioner course, I became aware of the spiritual aspect of the blockage and was able to let it go. There was a part of me that believed that upping the force above a certain level required an element of righteous anger. It's so obviously false that I let go of it the instant I became aware of it, but there was a long time I simply didn't know it was there. Righteous anger isn't a very nice thing to introduce into friendly sparring (or most situations, really), so I subconsciously limited myself in how far I was willing to go. Now, I am confident I can simply use my mind to adjust my level within the full range of my capabilities, without needing to introduce any sort of nastiness. This blessing will surely have a profound effect on both my training and daily life.

Lastly, I walk away with powerful direct experience of "heart thinks, event materializes". When we trained single unarmed vs. multiple unarmed, I was consistently able to "decide" how the encounter would go. When I did so, there was no element of hoping or trying to set the intention. It was the outcome because that's just the way it was. Then my kung fu came alive and I automatically made the necessary adjustments inline with that reality. When training with weapons, it was a different story. I haven't done much weapons training, so I often found myself falling back to old thought habits that hopefully whatever I was going to do would work out. You can imagine what happened. What's really interesting is that even with weapons, I still had moments where I got out of my own way and surprised myself with the applications and responses that came out. I have no doubt that I can easily refine this skill with more training, and gradually be able to effectively use it even when the action is more intense!

The last day of the course was also Sifu's birthday! It was very special, but I will leave it to someone else to talk about. Big thanks to Dmitri, Relinde, and everyone else who made it so memorable for Sifu.

Thank you to Sifu and to all my brothers and sisters that experienced the course with me and made it what it was. I look forward to training with you all again soon
                  Chris Didyk
                  Shaolin Wahnam USA

Thank You.

Comment

Originally posted by Grimlock View Post
                    Dear family,

I returned home from the Becoming a Wahnam Practitioner course a couple of days ago, and I am already feeling its blessings.

With so much to cover, I was curious what the format of the course would be. The first two days, we reviewed the basic stances as well as the sets: Cross Roads at Four Gates, Cloud Hands, Ho Family Flowing Water Staff, Taiji Staff, Plum Flower Sabre, and Wudang Sword. For the weapons, we also split into groups and worked out applications. We had enough people for eight groups, so for the staff sets we had two groups each work on the first half of the Flowing Water Staff, the second half of the Flowing Water Staff, ...
                    Thank you dear Sidai for your wonderful account. It is very inspiring and I enjoyed reading it greatly. :-)

With Love, Care and Shaolin Salute,

Santi

Comment

That's awesome, Chris! Thank you very much for sharing!!

-Matt

Comment

Working...
                      X