Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pushing Hands Techniques and Tactics Ireland 2017

Dear Family,

The Pushing hands was an extraordinary course. Sifu went straight into Pushing hands right at the beginning and so followed three days of techniques, tactics and many secrets, which were wonderful to behold.

I am adding here the video's as Sifu releases them, so that we have them on the Virtual Kwoon.

Thank you Sifu,

Enjoy Everybody!

Many Blessings,
    Joan
    Books don't mean a lot unless you open them, Hearts are the same.......

Valentine's Smile from the Heart 2019 IRELAND - world renowned Grandmaster Wong Kiew Kit.

-A FEAST OF SHAOLIN transmitted by Grandmaster Wong Kiew Kit FEBRUARY 16TH -19TH 2019
    GENERATING ENERGY FLOW
    ONE FINGER SHOOTING ZEN
    THE INCREDIBLE 3 DAY INTENSIVE ZEN COURSE .

Sifujoan@gmail.com

Frontal Push Video

Dear Joan Sipakgung,

thank you very much for posting the link to the Pushing Hands Videos here.

Short description added to the 'Frontal Push' Video - there is 'slide in' and 'step in':

What can be seen performed by a participant at around 1:10 mins is the 'slide in' where one does not change the position of the direction of the feed. One has to avoid a kick from the opponent.

For the most time then the Video shows the 'step in' where one changes the direction to 'where the feet are pointing'.

Thank you,
    With Shaolin Salute

Michael
    Last edited by MichaelS; 8 March 2017, 11:38 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

Reflection on Pushing Hands pracice

Dear Friends and Family,

following a reflection on Pushing Hands Practice from my limited experience (training Tai Chi Chuan for 1.5 years) and knowledge:

Pushing Hands seems to be a traditional part of Tai Chi Chuan and its range changes from school to school it seems.

Having attended the Pushing Hands course in Killarney, Ireland, with Sitaigung my impression is that Pushing Hands is not a practice of meditative partner hands-circulation. It’s ‘Pushing Hands’ where there is frontal push (slide in and step in), side push (from left to right, from right to left) and Push from behind (getting behind the opponents back). An ‘onrushing’ opponent could also be pushed to different directions (pushed back, sideways…).

Sitaigung mentioned that Tai Chi Chuan Practitioners from other schools could already protest, if we would doing Pushing Hands with them, that ‘we could not push them away’ (in any mode), this would not be allowed.

Also during the course we went through different learning modes, starting with the basics so to say, which also means that many possible ‘moves’ in a freer sparring were not allowed (grabbing, punching, kicking…).

Later on more possible techniques were allowed, introduced and practiced, although for example Kicks were excluded all of the time.

At the same time however, we were instructed, for example to cover sufficiently, take care of timing and spacing and for example when sliding-in for a frontal push to do it in away in order to avoid kicks from the defender.

So, Pushing Hands seems to be a tradition that intrinsically excludes possible techniques and attack-modes, counter-modes; in some schools going so far that even though it’s called Pushing Hands the ‘Push’s’ are excluded; the ‘exclusion’ seems still an inherent characteristic of Pushing Hands though; therefore when we practice it there is still ‘exclusion’ to some degree depending also on the practice-mode.

I’ve took the chance to ask Sitaigung, whether we would use or get to Pushing Hands in a free sparring and he answered it the way saying ‘Well, in a free sparring then everything would be allowed…’.

My impression is, if one would practice Pushing Hands too long, esp. in ‘earlier practice modes’, without taking into account the variety of possible techniques, attack- and counter-modes existing outside of what’s excluded from Pushing Hands (which Sitaigung instructed us to take into account, sometimes right from the start, sometimes when we were advancing and more ‘possibilities’ were introduced); one may become to accustomed to the ‘face-value’ of what’s allowed in Pushing Hands or a respective training-mode.

For example: if you practice the ‘Push’s’, but only them allowed, you may get used to just pushing or trying to counter ‘push’s’, however an opponent may straight come in ‘with a snake’.

So, I get the impression, one must be very aware of the training mode and what this means and progress in the modes. Also, a Tai Chi Chuan student may then go on to other practices or sparring training in modes that do not exclude possible techniques, attack-modes and defense-modes.

Any comments very welcome, thank you very much.

Kind regards,
      With Shaolin Salute

Michael

Comment

Which attack/defense mode is Pushing Hands? 1 striking, 2 kicking, 3 felling, 4 gripp

Dear Friends and Family,

I’ve asked myself: ‘What is Pushing Hands if one does not exclude any techniques or modes of attack and defense from its practice?’

Well, to me it looks like it’s ‘pushing’, specifically ‘pushing with the hands’.

Now, there is the conceptualization of four attack and defense modes: striking, kicking, felling, gripping.

Now, which mode is ‘Pushing Hands’?

Seems to me it’s none of the four, it’s ‘Pushing’.

And for ‘pushing’ it’s possible to employ the hands (as in Pushing Hands) or the arms or the upper body or the legs/feet.

In the 24-Pattern Tai Chi Chuan Set there is one pattern where I would say it’s pushing with the arm kept tight to the body.

When you are on the ground and someone gets on your belly or back you ‘push-up’, can this count as pushing?

In a Northern Praying Mantis school before there we stepped in to an opponent and took his center of gravity and pushed him with our whole esp. upper body, it’s pushing I’d say.

So, it looks like there is striking, kicking, felling, gripping, and obviously there is also pushing.

Now, searched Sitaigung’s website for ‘attack modes’ and found further ‘terms’:

‘Attacking by Retreating’ – ‘Flowing-In Attack’ – ‘Continuous Attack’ – ‘Triple Attack’ – ‘Pressing Attack’ – ‘Intercepting’

Now, there may be a conceptual difference, the above may more refer to tactics and the four modes of attack and defense may ‘headline techniques’.

However, ‘pushing’ does not seem to be a tactic (there is also ‘tactics of pushing hands’ aside).

So, what then is ‘pushing’ if not also a mode of attack and defense?

Are there maybe more than 4 modes of attack and defense?

And why do we practice ‘pushing hands’ as ‘stand-alone’ and exclude other modes from it’s practice?

Thank you for any feedback,

With Shaolin Salute,

Michael

Last edited by MichaelS; 10 March 2017, 04:02 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

Are Chin-Na and Dim-mark attack/defense modes?

Further expanding and adding to the question 'Which mode of attack and defense is pushing?:

Which mode of attack and defense is Chin-na?

Which mode of attack and defense is Dim-mark?

Maybe they are not called 'modes' as they count as 'Arts' themselves?

On the other side if practically apllied it seems to me also modes of attack and defense at the same time, or?

Best regards,

With Shaolin Salute
          Michael

Comment

Dear Family and Friends,

last note, then I give it a rest:

After reading Shaolin Wahnam Review Material on Pushing Hands on Sitaigung's website,

http://shaolin.org/review/pushing01.html,

my impression is that this time in Killarney in the Pushing Hands course he did not focus much in his teaching on what is there (1) Basic Techniques and Skills and focused on the materials from (2) onwards.

So, my reflection did not take this into account.

Thank you,

With Shaolin Salute,
            Michael

Comment

My Dear Family,

Here are some more links:

Thank you Sifu,

Many Blessings,
              Joan

Valentine's Smile from the Heart 2019 IRELAND - world renowned Grandmaster Wong Kiew Kit.

-A FEAST OF SHAOLIN transmitted by Grandmaster Wong Kiew Kit FEBRUARY 16TH -19TH 2019
              GENERATING ENERGY FLOW
              ONE FINGER SHOOTING ZEN

Sifujoan@gmail.com

Comment

Dear Family,

Here are more links from the wonderful Pushing hands course at the Valentine's 2017 in Ireland.

Thank you Sifu,

Enjoy your Pushing hands practice everybody!

Many Blessings,
                Joan

GENERATING ENERGY FLOW
                ONE FINGER SHOOTING ZEN

Sifujoan@gmail.com

Comment

Which mode of attack/defense is Pushing Hands?

At the recent Tai Chi Chuan Intensive course in Sabah there was the instance to ask Sitaigung 'which mode of attack is Pushing Hands'?

Thank you very much, Sitaigung for generously answering our questions as well as this one.

The answer from my memory:

'There are actually 18 Techniques in Tai Chi Chuan, but this is something else. The four modes of attack and defense are a different categorisation. Within the four modes of attack, Striking, Kicking, Felling, Gripping, Pushing Hands does not fit just one category, it is usually seen as being ca. 80% Felling and 20% Striking.'

Thank you very much,

With Shaolin Salute

Michael

Comment

Push Hands seem so simply, yet they are such an amazing way to train skills. Thank you for posting the videos and this interesting thread!

Best regards
                    Andrea
                    Enjoy some Wahnam Tai Chi Chuan & Qi Gong!

Evening Classes in Zürich
                    Weekend Classes in other Swiss locations

Facebook: www.facebook.com/Taichichuan.Wahnam.ch

Comment

Working...
                    X