Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wudang Cotton Palm

Dear all,

The end of Day 1 and so many wonderful gifts already. I am so grateful to Sifu for transmitting this precious art. I came to this course with an empty cup and the cup is rapidly being filled with priceless jewels.

Today was incredible for so many different reasons and on so many different levels. To be a part of a course that allows us to learn in one day the Cotton Palm Set, although we have the videos, which Sifu joked about the past masters would be astounded at this accomplishment. To me and I'm sure others the marvel is the transmission. The way that Sifu brings the art to life and allows us to crystallise the skills after we learn just the forms is magical.

One of the bonuses of learning such an advanced art is the need to take breaks to prevent over training. This means lots of opportunity for discussion, questions and even demonstrations by accomplished masters as we saw today from Sifu Barry and Sifu Tim, showing what cotton palm does to a watermelon. Pity the poor watermelon that got the cotton and cosmos palm strike!

Still one day to go and we will learn the applications and maybe even a small bonus. Cotton Palm has use in combat, healing but also spiritual development. We are blessed in our school to have these opportunities. Rare jewels not to be missed. I missed Dragon Strength and Cosmos Palm but have the good fortune to receive this transmission.

I'm really happy to share this course and its blessings with all my brothers and sisters. Even the curious bystanders at the sports centre I feel are receiving the blessings. I'm grateful to share another course with Parveen. This journey in the shaolin arts is more meaningful and enriched because of our incredible family.

Thanks to Sifu and Past Masters. Thanks to the Fully Alive team for making this a possibility. Looking forward to a lot more fun tomorrow.

Shaolin Salute,

Joel.
    Once you know the map all routes become clear.

— Grandmaster Wong Kiew Kit

Comment

Dear Shaolin Family

Just a quick word to say thank you for all the accounts from the summer camp. It sounds like you had a wonderful time... which is no surprise of course
      I am very much enjoying reading about your experiences and the courses!

Best regards
      Andrea
      Enjoy some Wahnam Tai Chi Chuan & Qi Gong!

Evening Classes in Zürich
      Weekend Classes in other Swiss locations

Facebook: www.facebook.com/Taichichuan.Wahnam.ch

Comment

Yes indeed ... great to hear of the wonderful course experiences. Please keep sharing
        Sifu Andrew Barnett
        Shaolin Wahnam Switzerland - www.shaolin-wahnam.ch

Flowing Health GmbH www.flowing-health.ch (Facebook: www.facebook.com/sifuandrew)
        Healing Sessions with Sifu Andrew Barnett - in Switzerland and internationally
        Heilbehandlungen mit Sifu Andrew Barnett - in der Schweiz und International

Comment

Picture from Cotton Palm course

A few had to leave to catch a plane - so Mark, Steffen and Christian are missing from the photo. Wonderful to have everyone in the UK for such an amazing course

_DSP7080.jpg
          Profile at Capio Nightingale Hospital London Click here
          Chi Kung & Tai Chi Chuan in the UK Fully Alive
          Fully Alive on Facebook Fully Alive
          UK Summer Camp 2017 Click here for details
          sigpic

Comment

Thank you for sharing your experiences from the courses, sounds like yet another great Summer camp.

Best wishes,

Nessa
            Nessa Kahila
            Shaolin Nordic Finland
            Instructor
            nessa@shaolin-nordic.com

www.shaolin-nordic.com

Comment

Greetings from the Heart

Dear Shaolin Wahnam Family,

What would a be better way to kick-start summer than to visit the beautiful UK for a Shaolin Summer Camp?

The courses this year were incredibly good: all-around clear improvement from the last year, thus I benefitted tremendeously. I'll write a more detailed review by the weekend.

For the Family members whom I met I wish lovely time practicing the precious arts we learned. I already miss you all very much! See you again next year?

By the way, if anyone has checked the UK Summer Camp website recently, there's this announcement:

NEW...SUMMER CAMP 2018

The Secrets of Wudang Kung Fu
              The Best of Shaolin

The Essence of Nei Gung
              Enriching your Everyday Life

Sounds pretty good, doesn't it? I guess I'll have to return next year...

Dear Fully Alive team,

You gentlemen are awesome. Really.

Thank you so much for organizing this fantastic event and tasty dining to finish it. I am sure I received much more than I had hoped or paid for. Once again my experience was anti-climatic without peaks, which I think makes room for excellent and enjoyable learning. The steady benefits and wisdom that I felt suffusing from Sigung's teachings are simply ridiculously good.

Dear Sigung,

It was a great pleasure and honor to learn again from you. It's amazing how clear and simple you manage to make our learning: simple, direct, and effective. In the light of such profound teaching that makes learning seem almost trivial, I am humbled and wish to remain always fully aware and boundlessly appreciating of the dedication and skill that makes such transmission possible in the first place.

Now I must keep my part and keep practicing with moderation and cultivate these precious gems to their fullest potential. From the Heart, thank you!

With sincere gratitude,
              Olli

Comment

Latest Update...

Thanks Olli for sharing. There was me thinking no-one would notice my low-key announcement on our shaolin-training website yet.

However.... We actually have another, very exciting, announcement that Sifu asked us to make during the Summer Camp:

Cultivating Spirit, Training Energy
                2nd December to 8th December 2018
                Penang, Malaysia

You can see more details here:
                https://www.wongkiewkit.com/forum/sh...-December-2018

Tim Franklin

http://www.theguardianlions.co.uk
                A story of finding Courage and Wisdom

www.zenarts.co.uk Classes and Courses for Shaolin Kung Fu, Taijiquan and Qigong in Bognor Regis, Chichester, West Sussex

Fully Alive on Facebook Energy Flow for Health and Happiness

UK Summer Camp Qigong, Taijiquan, Shaolin Kung Fu, Spiritual Cultivation with Grandmaster Wong Kiew Kit

sigpic

Comment

UK Summer Camp 2017

Kung Fu Days 1-4
                  This course took us through a steady progression of the Kung Fu Fundamental Skills in the disciplines of Kung Fu, Taijiquan and Xingyiquan.
                  The Students chose a specific set for their Combat and skills practice through the 4 days and Sigung worked individually with us in our groups to hone in on refining our skills.

The Specifics we covered were as follows;
                  Day 1 : We started steadily with Internal Force training with One Finger Shooting Zen. One of the schools little gems for our ongoing training and then progressed into the Fundamental Skills of Stances, Footwork and Movement. We covered specific stances to cover internal force training, some agility and to enhance grounding techniques to create a stable base for later martial combat. We then went onto practicing our chosen sets to establish, refine and polish various points.

Day 2: We did more One Finger Shooting Zen then progressed steadily into form, flow, force speed and threat, followed by Fundamental Skills of Spacing and Timing. We learnt the skills to bridge the opponent for attack mode and the best ways to avoid an opponent’s entry for safe space avoiding the element of threat again refining and polishing our chosen sequences

Day 3: Again in traditional Shaolin Wahnam style we started with One Finger Shooting Zen and took it to a deeper level of practice. From the previous progressive two days we added the Fundamental Skills of Covering, Bridging and Entering and began to apply the skills not only in the chosen sequences but also learning the counter sequences for all styles as we built up a step by step progress.

Day 4: Yes, another step further in one Finger Shooting Zen as we entered more deeply in the skill of Flowing and consolidating force and it must be said that this was a bit of a revelation bridging the two together. This was the day for Fundamental Skills of Internal Force. We then looked at the free sparring and looked to apply our sets in varying circumstances and looked at possible strengths and weaknesses in our own ability and skills. We then followed into more refined and skilled counters like an opponent’s specific strike, kick and grip, we also explored the felling technique through the sets.

When looking back on the Summer Camp it really is hard to believe that we cover so much content in such a short amount of time, but somehow it works and it really is a testament to Sigung's Skill & Experience at teaching as well as his dedication and love for the Art. Thanks to Sigung for showing us the way in this great Art! Personally I had the best time ever learning on this course, the students were fun to be with as always and it's great that we can all grow and gain skill for a True Master of the art.
                  Thanks again to Tim, Barry and Mark for Setting up Summer Camp.

/O
                  James

Here is link for the 4 day course.
                  Aaahhhhh!

Comment

Dear Tim Sipak,

Originally posted by Tim View Post
                    That's so much internal force that it literally lifts your mustache... Watermelons beware! Those palms know no mercy.

With sincere respect,
                    Olli

Comment

Cotton Palm Videos

Dear all,

In case you haven't seen already Sifu has kindly uploaded the videos taken by the Fully Alive team from the Cotton Palm course at the link below:

I absolutely love training this set and the videos are invaluable reminders and prompts for fine tuning my practice.

Now just need to find a willing sparring partner who enjoys being felled lots. Parveen?? 😝😝

With gratitude,

Joel 😊
                      Once you know the map all routes become clear.

— Grandmaster Wong Kiew Kit

Comment

Originally posted by Joel View Post
                        Now just need to find a willing sparring partner who enjoys being felled lots. Parveen?? 😝😝
                        Ha ha ha ye could take turns on the felling

Comment

Unending effort

Whatever course I have been on with Sifu, I have always come away feeling very grateful for the teaching Sifu very generously passes onto us. There are so many benefits we get in our daily lives, like clarity of mind, increased energy and good health, that they can start to become quite normal.

Following this years Summer Camp, many of you told me how much you enjoyed Sifu's teaching this year and the application of the skills in daily life. For a number of years this has been the aim of Fully Alive to do our part in helping make the world a healthier, happier and less harmful for all. Sifu has done such an amazing job in helping us with this aim in a way that, I believe, would have been unheard of in time gone by. Thank you Sifu from all of us.

Something else though that might be missed is the unending effort and time Sifu puts in to making these arts, and the benefits, available to all. Not just the people who attend the courses. This year Sifu, as he often does during a course, spent hours on his computer playing with the many, many videos we took, to make them available for you. This is actually quite unbelievable when one considers the additional time Sifu spends teaching and preparing for courses.

As Sifu said during the courses "If you can achieve one tenth of what I can do then you are already doing very well".
                          For those that have not yet seen the videos, here is a link to the main page:

http://shaolin.org/video-clips-14/uk.../overview.html

Following the summer camp I am very much enjoying my daily Cotton Palm training, and also my preparation to the Wing Choon course in Switzerland this August. Wow, Cotton Palm meets Wing Choon, sounds like a good combo to me (Thinking Flower Set!).

Enjoy the videos, and if you feel like sending some extra gratitude to Sifu, please let Sifu know here on the forum what you think of the videos and the training.

10 Questions to the Grandmaster

Prior to the Summer Camp we purposely left out the 10 questions to the Grandmaster for the Cotton Palm for two main reasons:
                          1. There was already a lot of good things happening on the forum re other excellent courses Sifu is teaching around the world.
                          2. The Cotton Palm needed some experiencing before the questions would come.

Here is the thread for the 10 questions for Cotton Palm:
                          https://www.wongkiewkit.com/forum/sh...308#post137308
                          Tim Franklin

http://www.theguardianlions.co.uk
                          A story of finding Courage and Wisdom

www.zenarts.co.uk Classes and Courses for Shaolin Kung Fu, Taijiquan and Qigong in Bognor Regis, Chichester, West Sussex

Fully Alive on Facebook Energy Flow for Health and Happiness

UK Summer Camp Qigong, Taijiquan, Shaolin Kung Fu, Spiritual Cultivation with Grandmaster Wong Kiew Kit

sigpic

Comment

The Wonderful Wonders of Wudang Cotton Palm

Ahhh! The Wonders of Wudang Cotton Palm have been very wonderful indeed so wonderful I keep hearing Sifu's words resonating in my heart..."Life is Wonderful" and it really is!

It is incredible how Sifu transmitted the skills of Cotton Palm, to not only "bring good health, vitality and longevity but also for peak performance, spiritual joys and combat efficiency". I thoroughly enjoyed every aspect of the course and I am still amazed how all this was achieved in just two days and from what appears to be a 'simple' kung fu set has been so life transforming that even now jewels from this course are crystallizing.

Sifu has mentioned in previous courses how 95% is in the preparation and 5% in the implementation and it is only by Sifu posting the video of Cotton Palm along with Tim Siheng's video that I was able to prepare the forms through daily practice so I could then benefit and enjoy the course fully. After the course Joel I needed clarification of the last combat sequence and when the videos were posted online we jumped for joy as we could refer to the videos and implement the finer points into our practice. I am sincerely grateful to you Sifu for taking the time to edit and post the videos online in a systematic way for our benefit and reference. Thank you also to Tim Siheng, Barry Siheng and Mark Siheng for showing how the masters can multitask; filming and performing Cotton Palm!

This course was very special as not only did we get teachings transmitted from Sifu but also several Instructors. Thank you to Barry Siheng for imparting your wisdom of placing hands on your heart, and thank you for the skill you shared in sparring, thank you to Tim Siheng for sharing how Cotton Palm is the second or one of the highest courses after Dragon Strength, it moved me to tears and still does, you were the last person I sparred with and it was very enjoyable and compassionate, thank you. Thank you to Angel Siheng for your encouragement and sharing your skills in sparring along with displaying your bountiful energy by demonstrating all the combat sequences with Sifu. Thank you to Nick Siheng for your lovely comments and conversation. Thank you to Claude Siheng it was lovely speaking with you and listening to your experiences. Thank you to all the other instructors and thank you to all my brothers and sisters I loved sparring with all of you. It is an invaluable experience to put Sifu's teachings into practice, to gain confidence to implement new combat sequences and to learn do adapt the skill level accordingly; level one to three. It was lovely reuniting with all of you...Shaolin Salute!

So much was learnt on this course that if I wrote every detail down in this post it will turn into a book so I am really looking forward to reading further posts from my brothers and sisters.

The 'highlights' or 'aha' moments during the course for me were when Sifu mentioned how performing 'waves sleeves light breeze' and 'cloud hands' can activate the kidney meridians, how the power comes from the waist rotation and to perform sequences in one continuous movement, how the slower the set was performed the greater the force consolidated, how we all performed the cotton palm set as one heart/mind and Sifu said how Zhang San Feng would be impressed. How to move in stances whilst performing cloud hands opened closed, how much force can be built from 'waves sleeves light breeze' and 'cloud hands' to not only expand into the cosmos and enjoy spiritual joys but also to have abundance of energy to spar for hours, how the force built is so strong it can bounce of low level spirits, how Cotton Palm can be used for healing, how to explode force in the set, how Cotton/Cosmos Palm cannot harm unless there is intention behind it, how to use a guide when you're over training; if you feel refreshed after your practice it is good, if you feel tired you have over trained. How Cotton Palm can make you feel cool and refreshed when it's hot and warm you up when it's cold and the 'big aha' highlights were how simple and effective Cotton Palm is against attacks; strikes, kicks, felling and gripping, how effective it is to apply the 'secret' counter attack using Palm strike, how to use force and when to yield and follow it with a quick counter attack in sparring and of course moving in stillness..ahhh peace!

I recall Sifu mentioning whilst we were in chi flow how beautiful and how wonderful life is and how we must find the beauties in life even though there is suffering and these profound words have really transformed all aspects of daily life and made them more enjoyable. Even in suffering there is so much joy! Who knew being felled over and over could bring so much joy haha! (Yes Joel we are an excellent match as you love felling and I love being felled ...brother Mark CH I will be making good use of the new felling techniques which include a little bit of tickling hehee!) I laughed and giggled so much on this course whether it was from Sifu imparting a story whilst 'we rested' such as Yim Wing Chun defeating an unwanted advancement and receiving gifts instead, to Sifu demonstrating gripping combat sequences with Angel Siheng or Barry and Tim Siheng and their watermelon demonstration or just sparring with brothers/sisters and having an enjoyable conversation over good Spanish food at the graduation dinner...it is true when they say laughter makes you younger and it is wonderful to laugh with a lighter heart!

I always marvel how Sifu can transmit teachings on many levels and can answer questions which have been in our hearts and sow seeds for us to continue cultivating. From transforming our weaknesses into strengths Sifu enables us to reach our potential...how blessed we all are to have Sifu as our Teacher, our Father Shaolin Salute Sifu!

"Why chase after stones when you have Jade" Sifu has transmitted a very rare Jade and the only way I can express this is through a heart of prostration and to keep polishing the Jade through daily practice. I am deeply grateful to you Sifu for compassionately dedicating your life in spreading the Shaolin Arts and bringing joy to the world. Thank you for transmitting the skills to "do better no matter what we do". Thank you for transmitting the Wonders of Wudang Cotton Palm as life now flows in a more meaningful way, radiating with joy.

Thank you to the Fully Alive team for organising the Wudang Cotton Palm course and all the incredible courses at summer camp. Joel and I are really looking forward to reading further details regarding the 2018 summer camp courses which brother Ollie has already mentioned along with the Cultivating Spirit and Training energy course. The Wudang arts have a special place in my heart and Cotton Palm has unfolded 'the Way' and next year is going to be an even more wonderful year with all the courses Sifu is teaching; Ng Mui's Flower set and 72 pattern Tiger Crane, Pakua, Eighteen Lohan Arts, Secrets of Wudang Wow!!!

Reading Sifu's post on the main Shaolin Wahnam page has left me in awe; "Three Levels of attainments ...The attainment of being a practitioner, a researcher and a protector, is progressive. In other words, one must be a research before he (or she) becomes a protector, and one must be a practitioner before he becomes a research." ..Practice Practice Practice...I am glad to be living this life right now!

And a big Thank you to my wonderful partner Joel it is a blessing to share the Shaolin Arts with you, 10 years we celebrated this year at summer camp and we are looking younger, happier and have good health and vitality which enriches our daily life, what more can we ask for!

Shaolin Salute Sifu and to the Past Masters and Homage to the Buddhas and Bodhisattvas for divine protection OM MANI PAMDE HUM !

With Love & Blessings,
                            Parveen
                            “So I say to you –
                            This is how to contemplate our conditioned existence in this fleeting world:”

“Like a tiny drop of dew, or a bubble floating in a stream;
                            Like a flash of lightning in a summer cloud,
                            Or a flickering lamp, an illusion, a phantom, or a dream.”

“So is all conditioned existence to be seen.”

Thus spoke Buddha.

Comment

Asking for Kind Assistance

I am still due the course reviews I promised. There's a silly hindrance in that I have graciously forgotten many details about what was taught on the third day of Chi Kung.

Could some kind soul please help me to fill in the missing details about what exercises we used for each skill, and more pressingly what and when did we visualize?

Overcoming despair

Exercise: Dancing Butterfly
                              Visualizations: ?

Building willpower
                              Exercise: Merry-Go-Round

Overcoming shame
                              Exercise: ?

Having a purpose in life
                              Exercise: Bear Walk and Nourishing Kidneys

Remaining unshaken by others

Exercise: Pushing Mountains

With sincere respect,
                              Olli

Comment

My experience of the cotton palm

Thank you Olli and other people for their excellent descriptions of the course.

Some of the application of the waving hands at the end of the cotton palm form could be find in the eagle claw kung fu.
                                The internal force training in the kung fu course and the cotton palm course were very powerful. I was sleeping on the sofa at the entrance of the Guildford Surrey Sport Park for more than one hour every afternoon after the morning session. I was too tired to train in the afternoon.

Thank Sigung for teaching us this wonderful martial arts.

Thank the Fully Alive team for their time and effort of organising another summer camp.

After three months of practising the force training method in cotton palm. My legs started to wobble while doing the cloud hands in the horse stance.

The following things happened during my stance training since mid October 2017:
                                1) I was like a horse rider while doing the golden bridge and santi stance. My hands were moving down and then up after five seconds into the stance training. I usually lost my balance after less than two minutes. My legs sometime also wobbled as well.
                                In mid Feburary 2018 I managed to stay in the horse stance for twenty minutes, while my arms were moving down and up.

2) occasionally the following things happened:
                                Three circle stance - my legs started to wobble and my hands also moving down and then up.

False leg stance – my front bend leg was rotating 360 degrees non stop or just moving from side to side.

Single leg stance – I could no longer do it. I lost my balance once my bend leg started to rotate.

Bow arrow stance – both of my legs started to slightly bouncing up and down after 20 seconds of training. My body began to shake and I lost my balance and fell forward.

Horse stance and unicorn stance – my legs wobbled after 2 minutes of training.

I could not maintain my balance for more than 2 minutes, once I started wobbling.

I found on the question and answer section that other people also have similar experiences. Sigung described the shaking of the legs were due to tissue cleansing. While doing involuntary cloud hands movement in the golden bridge meant the person has reached another advance stage in his golden bridge training. However, I did not think this apply to me as my internal force was very weak compare to many people on the course. I was not doing the cloud hands movement in my golden bridge training.

Is it possible for anyone to tell me why my hands are moving down and then up, while doing the golden bridge and santi stance?

Thank you very much for your help
                                Kam

Comment

Working...
                                X