Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UK Summer Camp 2017 - Community Thread

Dear Shaolin Wahnamers and visitors,

Welcome to the UK Summer Camp 2017 community thread. This is a place to discuss and ask questions about the courses, tell us about your experiences of the Summer Camp in previous years and offer any suggestions for those intending to come to this one.

Here are some links to some information and videos you may find helpful.

The main website
    http://www.shaolin-training.com

Courses on offer
    http://shaolin-training.com/courses/

Venue
    http://shaolin-training.com/venue/

Course Times
    http://shaolin-training.com/course-times-and-info/

Grandmaster Etiquette
    http://shaolin-training.com/grandmaster-etiquette/

Airports
    The nearest airports to Guildford are Gatwick and Heathrow.

Cotton Palm Page and Video
    http://shaolin-training.com/courses/...f_cotton_palm/

You may remember a very interesting Q&A thread about Cleansing, Building and Nourishing, with over 26,000 views now. You may like to have a read through this thread again, as it is as relevant today as it has been over the last 1500 years
    http://www.wongkiewkit.com/forum/sho...he-Grandmaster
    Tim Franklin

http://www.theguardianlions.co.uk
    A story of finding Courage and Wisdom

www.zenarts.co.uk Classes and Courses for Shaolin Kung Fu, Taijiquan and Qigong in Bognor Regis, Chichester, West Sussex

Fully Alive on Facebook Energy Flow for Health and Happiness

UK Summer Camp Qigong, Taijiquan, Shaolin Kung Fu, Spiritual Cultivation with Grandmaster Wong Kiew Kit

sigpic

If you are coming to Summer Camp this year you might find these videos useful and interesting. You might also find them useful and interesting if you aren't coming to the 2017 Summer Camp.

The four sequences being used at this year’s Fundamentals of Kung Fu: From beginner to Master course (half way down this page)

Profile at Capio Nightingale Hospital London Click here
    Chi Kung & Tai Chi Chuan in the UK Fully Alive
    Fully Alive on Facebook Fully Alive
    UK Summer Camp 2017 Click here for details
    sigpic

Comment

Count me in for Summer Camp 2017

Lovely Jubley! Count me in for Summer Camp 2017.

Anyone else?

See you there.
      James
      Aaahhhhh!

Comment

Dear James Sisook,

I'm all in. Only a bit over three and half montsh left, which is unbeliavable!

Dear Shaolin Wahnam Family,

As it was in the previous year, I'm offering to share my hotel room in Guildford Holiday Inn with anyone traveling alone.

If you are short on money, I can even let you stay in for completely free. PM me if you are interested!

With sincere respect,
        Olli

Comment

Don't Miss the Opportunity

Dear Shaolin Wahnam family,

Sifu gave us a wonderful opportunity in Boston to learn and develop the skills of Cosmos Palm and said that it should not be missed. Having been one of the lucky ones that did the course I can see why. Interestingly, I have practiced Pushing Mountains and what of Cosmos Palm training Sifu has passed on before over the last 15 years. This was good preparation for the deeper learning and experience I got at the course.

This was indeed a very special course, and I have continued to practice the set each day since the course. I have noticed that as a result of the practice my internal force has increased, as would be expected. I have also noticed that I am able to use the internal force generated with much less effort. Something that I have wanted to develop as a skill for some time. Something else interesting also seems to be true. Since the course I have noticed that my field of energy is now further reaching and this has had a positive affect on those around me, both in my clinic and life in general.

Having developed a level of proficiency in Cosmos Palm (which is ongoing) I was interested to see how the Cotton Palm would compare to Cosmos Palm. On one level the skills and outcomes I am developing are quite similar. Increased force, larger field of energy and good health. However, I am also noticing the ease in which energy flows through my systems and my ability to get to flow at various levels. This has in turn improved my fluidity in Kung Fu.

I also tested out the difference in delivery of the energy by palm striking a kick pad held by one of my students. When I struck with Cosmos Palm there was a loud 'thwack' on pad and it was felt by the holder of the pad through his whole body. It was as if it shook his systems to the ground. I had struck from the distance of holding my palm at my shoulder.

When I struck with Cotton Palm I used double palm methods (Wild Horse Chases Wind). My palms were about 6inches from the pad. As this is Cotton Palm I wanted to see what the effect would be by gently letting my force flow through the pad using very little effort and using as little as a physical strike I could. The result surprised me. Although I thought I was being 'very gentle' the strike was very powerful. The holder felt like they had been winded as the force passed through them and out the other side.

I am still developing my Cotton Palm with daily practice of the set and will be glad to let you know how it is going.

In the meantime I wanted to pass on the following from another thread. It is an important message from our Grandmaster.

When training Taijiquan over a period of a long time, like after 20 years, some high level Taijiquan masters may develop Cotton Palm, but it is unlikely they will develop Cosmos Palm because they do not know how to consolidate force. In other words, no matter for how long a Taijiquan practitioner trains, he will never develop Cosmos Palm. As an analogy, no matter for how long a swimmer who uses crawl or breast-stroke trains, he will never be able to use butterfly-stroke.

For the very rare Taijiquan practitioners who know Cosmos Palm, it will certainly enhance his skills in Pushing Hands. He may let his energy flow and be very perceptive not only of this opponent’s movement but also his intention. He is so perceptive that he knows the opponent’s movement before the opponent makes a move.

He may consolidate his energy so that his opponent cannot even move him. No matter what the opponent does, he remains like a solid rock. By exploding force, he can let his opponent fly back many feet, or be seriously damage on the spot.

Cosmos Palm is a very high-level rare art. It is not only excellent for combat, but also excellent for health, vitality, longevity, peak performance and spiritual joys. Those who missed the course, irrespective of whether they are Taijiquan practitioners, just missed the opportunity.
          It goes without saying, but I'll say it anyway, Cotton Palm is a very, very rare art. In fact we have struggled to find much information on genuine internal training methods and benefits of this rare art. So, we consider that anyone who comes to this course will have a genuine opportunity to develop something very rare and beneficial indeed. Like the Dragon Strength and Cosmos Palm I believe much of what makes it special is the transmission from Sifu, which cannot be learnt by video.

Hope to see many of you there.
          Tim Franklin

www.zenarts.co.uk Classes and Courses for Shaolin Kung Fu, Taijiquan and Qigong in Bognor Regis, Chichester, West Sussex

UK Summer Camp Qigong, Taijiquan, Shaolin Kung Fu, Spiritual Cultivation with Grandmaster Wong Kiew Kit

sigpic

Comment

Kung Fu Legends - What if they are true?

Kung Fu Legends - What if they are true?

As an avid Kung Fu movie watcher I have always been intrigued by the abilities of the masters. Pak Mei was one of great masters that appeared in many movies, beating his opponents with his great Kung Fu. One of the skills he developed was the Cotton Art. Thus the legends were born, passed down from master to master.

There are many stories of the masters abilities, but how many of them are true? What skills of Kung Fu awesomeness can someone really develop? Well, that's what I am on a quest to find out...

Here's a link to a video.

For some reason I am unable to embed the video, using a MacBook pro on this forum. It just displays the url like above. Any ideas how I can fix this. I tried to use Cotton Palm, but it didn't work.... yet!
            Last edited by Tim; 16 February 2017, 11:49 AM.
            Tim Franklin

sigpic

Comment

Thank you Olli for your wisdom. That has worked fine.

Tim Franklin

sigpic

Comment

Hi Olli and James,

I will be there as well.
                Is it possible for anyone to tell me how to download the combat sequences onto my computer? I cannot find the download button anywhere on the vimeo video.

Thank you very much for your help
                Kam

Comment

Dear Kam Siheng,

Glad to know you are returning!

Originally posted by student View Post
                  Is it possible for anyone to tell me how to download the combat sequences onto my computer? I cannot find the download button anywhere on the vimeo video.
                  UK Summer Camp 2017 - Fundamentals of Kungfu Combat Sequences

Take Lohan Kungfu for example. Right below any embedded video is a titular link such as Sequence for Combat 1 -- Shaolin Lohan Kungfu which leads to the actual vimeo site: https://vimeo.com/155130774

You can download all the videos only through vimeo as far as I know. You can also get to the vimeo website by clicking on the vimeo logo at the lower right corner of any embedded video.

screenshot.jpg

I have attached a screenshot with added red arrows to guide you to the right track. Please make sure that your browser has JavaScipt enabled, or the download button might not appear! After clicking it once, you will be given a popup to choose between different video resolutions if available.

Hopefully now you are able to download all the Shaolin Wahnam videos you wish to have on your hard disk.

With sincere respect,
                  Olli
                  Last edited by understanding; 25 February 2017, 06:42 PM.

Comment

Hi Olli,

After spending 3 hours trying to download the videos, I have finally succeeded and the problem appeared to be caused by a corrupted file inside my computer. You suggestion did work once the corrupted file was removed.

Kam

Comment

Dear Kam Siheng,

After spending 3 hours trying to download the videos, I have finally succeeded and the problem appeared to be caused by a corrupted file inside my computer.
                      Oh my, computer issues can be very surprising. Too bad that chi flows will not directly clear blockages like that, but luckily they give us enough mental clarity and endurance to get problems fixed eventually.

I'm glad that you managed to get it working. Happy training!

With sincere respect,
                      Olli

Comment

Dear Tim, many thanks for this particular reminder.

Best Wishes
                        James

Originally posted by Tim View Post
                        Dear Shaolin Wahnamers and visitors,

Welcome to the UK Summer Camp 2017 community thread. This is a place to discuss and ask questions about the courses, tell us about your experiences of the Summer Camp in previous years and offer any suggestions for those intending to come to this one.

Here are some links to some information and videos you may find helpful.

You may remember a very interesting Q&A thread about Cleansing, Building and Nourishing, with over 26,000 views now. You may like to have a read through this thread again, as it is as relevant today as it has been over the last 1500 years
                        http://www.wongkiewkit.com/forum/sho...he-Grandmaster
                        Aaahhhhh!

Comment

Dear Kam,
                          Great to hear you will be attending this years Summer Camp, we missed you last year.
                          Glad you got the downloads for the 4 sets too, really useful.
                          Nice one Olli!

Look forward to seeing you then.

Best Wishes
                          James

Hi Olli and James,

I will be there as well.

Kam
                          Aaahhhhh!

Comment

Some Thoughts and Expectations Right Now

Dear Shaolin Wahnam Family and Friends,

The following consists substantially of my fanciful inference and speculation... Take it with a pinch of salt, ok?

The courses last year were excellent. You can read my detailed review in this linked thread. Especially the first and third Chi Kung courses were home runs in terms of innovative and thematically brilliant transmission of skills. The second and fourth Chi Kung courses delivered exactly what they promised, but in contrast to the aforementioned they lacked the consistent 'wow'-factor outside of brief single-pointed Zen mind and Merging with the Cosmos. The five levels of Chi Kung they dealth with, namely medical, health, scholarly, warrior, and spiritual, are in particular a very important category in understanding how and why any Chi Kung is applied for different needs, but would it be possible to recast these convenient applications in terms of some fundamental (and formless) skills in order to broaden the bandwidth of skill transfer?

Judging from Tim Sipak's posts on what is coming up we are surely having something special ahead. It seems that they have come up with actualizing the fundamental skills of Chi Kung through Flowing, Cleansing, Building, Nourishing, and Consolidating. Conceptually this is very rich and in my eyes a fitting continuity to what was taught last year. Indeed, if they have asked for these skills to be realized through all the courses, as the advertisements for Cotton Palm and linking to certain classic Q&A series suggests, we will be having a superb opportunity to develop a broad and very valuable set of skills. How do they come up with good ideas like that? There must be something special in the British tea. Or in the chi flow.

Last year we were taught that the fundamentals of Chi Kung were being relaxed and having no thoughts. With this it's natural to enter and remain in the Chi Kung state of mind and generate an energy flow, which everyone incredibly did without introducing any physical techniques! Currently I'm most interested to see how will Sigung teach the "Developing and Deepening the Fundamentals of Chi Kung" course, especially whether it will reflect the theme I mentioned. The five above mentioned skills are another compeletely valid take on what are the fundamentals in the operative level: Without having a chi flow and being able to control it, the ability to enter Chi Kung state of mind would remain an impressive but impractical achievement. The benefits are what count, not the means!

The following two Chi Kung courses can feature arbitrary techniques in their content, with a deepening view on practical applications. I am fully expecting my mind being blissfully blown to bits again by the end of the third day, just for witnessing the sheer genius of Sigung's insightful applications.

The "Fundamentals of Kungfu" has been condensed to four days, so it's natural to expect it to be more intense. I am really looking forward to experiencing how Sigung will teach it this time and if the renewed overall theme will influence the teachings.

Cotton Palm is going to be major attraction and future classic, no doubt. Regrettably, I missed the Cosmos Palm course for reasons of health, timing, and ignorance, so I'm very satisfied that Sipak Tim and Sisook Barry attended the course and then wanted to invite its familiar art to the UK. For me this course is a God- or Heaven-sent opportunity. I had already become interested in attending the UK Summer Camp 2017 when in 2016 the Fully Alive team teased and invited everyone to return for an even better experience. When they later confirmed that the event would indeed be an improved reprise, I knew from direct experience that it was well worth taking and dediced to fix my heart to it right away. To my utter surprise they later announced that they have upgraded with Cotton Palm, which makes the deal all much more sweeter.

Now that you have enjoyed my musings with a pinch of salt, you can in turn pinch yourself to realize that not everything is pure fancy and distant dream, namely that the UK Summer Camp 2017 is going to happen in some splendid format and will be conducted by a generous Shaolin Grandmaster, and that you all very lucky if you are able to attend this fine gathering of kind and loving hearts from all around the world.

With sincere respect,
                            Olli
                            Last edited by understanding; 3 March 2017, 01:20 PM.

Comment

Dear everyone,

Guildford has some fine restaurants. I remember Positano being an excellent choice for Italian food. More recommendations anyone?

With sincere respect,
                              Olli
                              Last edited by understanding; 3 March 2017, 04:30 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X