Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shaolin Tantui - best kept secret in town!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Excited for the Special Shaolin Tantui Course!

Hi everyone!

As Sigung's Special Shaolin Tantui courses draw closer, I get more and more excited about learning these life-changing arts from a true master! I can barely hold in my excitement.

Hi Craig,

In response to your question:

I wanted to ask others who will be going, what in particular has got you excited about the course?
    Thanks for asking!

I think this would have to be my daily training.

Every day I practice Shaolin Tantui sequences as taught by Sigung. Recently, one night during training I had some wonderful experiences with Tantui that I'd like to share here:

I felt the movements of Tantui pulling the chi stuck deep inside up and out, my spirit came alive and all my cells felt awake and vibrant. I also noticed the movements felt very noble and later realized that the pressing attacks of Tantui-always moving forward, no matter what opposition is faced-trains the spirit one needs to persevere in cultivation despite the challenges that arise in life. In training Tantui, one learns to not get pushed around by one's thoughts or other people, and instead to simply move forward with clarity, sincerity of intention and spirit.

This experience was very inspiring for my training in Shaolin Tantui and motivates me to understand the arts deeper. It made me excited to learn more and improve my skill level, not just for the sake of the art but for improving the quality of my daily life, too!

Every time I practice Tantui sequences, even after only just a few repetitions I always find that the chi flows much smoother and quickly clears out emotional and physical stuckness from the day.

With excitement for learning more in July and August,
    Shaolin Salute,
    Erica

Comment

Dear Emiko Sijie and Shaolin Wahnam Family,

Thank you Emiko Sijie for initiating this discussion and all the members who have posted. I've enjoyed reading all the experiences and views presented so far. I look forward to reading more about this wonderful art.

Michael, thank you for your posts and questions especially those regarding skills. I cannot fairly comment on "Seeking kicks" as I do not have enough context. However I can offer my experience regarding what skills one may receive at a Tantui course taught by Sifu.

From my direct experience, Sifu has taught Tantui at the marvelous level. In other words, he has transmitted the skills and understanding to use any technique or sequence from Tantui to counter all situations. Irregardless of whether it is a strike, kick, fell, or chin-na, a skillful Tantui practitioner merely carries on with the next technique in the sequence. These skills allow us to bring life to techniques and thus make it shine.

For example, let us consider Sequence One, "Big Boss Offers Wine". The Tantui exponent initiates with the strike, "Big Boss Offers Wine." The responder uses "Single Tiger Emerges from Cave" followed by "Black Tiger Steals Heart." The Tantui exponent covers the attack with "Black Crow Flaps Wings" and creates an opening for a strike with "Second Brother Offers Wine." The responder brushes aside the strike and uses "White Snake Shoots Venom." The Tantui exponent use "Rising Dragon Galloping Tiger" to cover while springing the coup de grace, the kick.

What if the responder uses "White Horse Presents Hoof" instead of "Black Tiger?" The Tantui exponent still would use "Black Crow/Second Brother." How about if it was "Fell Tree with Roots" instead? The Tantui exponent still would use "Black Crow/Second Brother." How about if it was a grip like "Fierce Tiger Descends Mountain?" It would be the same.

Irregardless of the counter of the responder, the Tantui exponent will flow to the next technique. The techniques are vessels for the skill. With marvelous skill, the techniques become alive and beautiful. It may even bring about great awe and reverence in the responder, a win-win situation!

There are many benefits learning Traditional, Genuine Northern Shaolin from Sifu. I'll post more on my experience and understanding later.

Best wishes,
      Mike

Comment

Dear Shaolin Wahnam Family and Friends,

If my memory serves me correctly, in 2004, Sifu taught the application of the first sequence of Tantui during a Toronto Kungfu course. I do not know the exact reason why he taught us, but I suspect he heard from Emiko Sijie some of us in Toronto had learned Tantui before and he generously wanted to help us see the applications. With his seemingly effortless skill, he showed us how it could applied in multiple situations. I was in awe with his depth of understanding and the profundity of this art. Being inspired, I had practiced it for a few months afterwards.

The following year I was fortunate enough to attend the Combined Kungfu-Taijiquan course in Malaysia. During a free sparring session, an idea of trying out the Tantui sequence popped into my head. I faced off with one of my seniors who was using Taijiquan and initiated with "Big Boss Offers Wine." He fended off my strikes well but did not notice the kick until it was too late. My foot was an inch or so from his groin. From the look on his face, I suspect he was rather surprised. I admit I was also surprised how well it worked. After the training session, he pulled me aside and told me he asked Sifu how to counter Tantui and would show me the next time we faced each other. I wasn't able to know what Sifu said as the opportunity did not arise.

There are a few things I've learned from that experience. First, it gave me a deeper appreciation of Sifu's vast understanding and teaching ability. Sifu's transmission of skill enabled me to apply the techniques skillfully. This is one example of the importance of learning from a genuine master and being grateful to him/her.

Second, it gave me a deeper understanding of the kungfu saying, “the hands are like two gates (to create the right situation); it is the kick that delivers the coup de grace” (quoted from Question 8 in http://shaolin.org/answers/ans02a/apr02-2.html). Thanks to Sifu, I had direct, firsthand experience of the meaning of those words.

Third, it gave me a deeper realization of the importance of training sequences. Consider a scenario in which two sparring partners with relatively-close skill level face each other. One uses a sound sequence which he/she has practiced well. The other does not use any sequence. If all things being equal, victory will favour the one using the sequence. When I was sparring with my senior at that time, I believe he was the better fighter. Due to my approach, I overcame the difference by merely applying the sequence. However, if I was to spar with someone who is at a much higher level like Sifu, I would almost certainly be defeated regardless.

Please note the training sequences in not only important in Tantui. It applies to all other arts as well.

The techniques and skills found in Northern Shaolin Tantui are profound. Learning them from Sifu, a master of Genuine, Tradition Shaolin, is a golden opportunity to enhance one's kungfu understanding as well as enriching daily life.

Best wishes,
        Mike

Comment

Dear Hubert,

Dear Michael,

both Sipakgung or Sisookgung (sorry, don't know exactly),

thank you very much for your replies and further explanations.

I'm quite sure the Tan Taui courses with Sitaigung will be marvellous and Sitaigung will teach at his best and Tan Tui Practitioners will propell in their levels.

Apart from this, my guess is that some things you mention are not specific to Tan Tui Style, when it comes to how we train in our school or how we take sparring situations.

Even though I'm still a beginner in Tai Chi Chuan I was wondering about the Tai Chi Chuan Practitioner asking how to counter Tan Tui.

You say you used a Strike followed by a kick as coupe de grace. However, also in Tai Chi Chuan we use faint moves were we initiate with a strike but intend a kick for example.

During the courses I find myself sometimes in the situation that even though it moved to a freer mode I'm still a bit stuck in either cooperation or in a mode where I think I have to use a secific pattern. Maybe this happened to the Tai Chi Chuan Practitioner you mentioned.

Do describe a bit more where I'm coming from:

Tan Tui would be interesting as Nothern Style because I'm living in the countryside with mountains. Also, every new style is a chance to question one owns 'routines' or 'map of the world' and also learn something new or focus deeper on something specific.

On the other side every style can potentially get a limitation, guess that's why we in our school also train breadth and not just depth.

So, as learing Tai Chi Chuan (I wouldn't call myself yet a practitioner) I'd ask: how does a Tan Tui practitioner 'tick and tock'?

Can it be - just to come up with something - that practising 'roads' becomes such a strong subconscious picture that he aligns mainly to the 'straight line'? Would a Tan Tui practitioner tend to execute one of his 'roads' in sequence (in a straigt line)? Would he tend to 'vigorously press forward'? Would he tend to react to perceived 'pressures or threads' ('what triggers executing 'his machine')?

Because the sparring situations for example you mentioned are still in the 'one pattern for a pattern' mode of description, this may be just to help getting the picture for the readers.

So, as learing Tai Chi Chuan 'I'm coming from a circle, not a straigt line'. And I'm coming back from the recent Tai Chi Chuan Intersive course in Sabah with Sitaigung. There he also taught for example to open with a strike as faint move to catch the oponents attention so that he may not be aware of the kick that is coming. But there is much more that does not have to do with patterns...

He is also teaching how to create and apply combat sequences. But even in that there is a part where the instruction is: 'Do as if your real partner is an imaginary oppenent and apply your sequence'. But the real learning from this, how I perceive it, is that it may not matter to me too much what my oppenent is doing ('he does not predetermine what I am doing').

Or the point in the 'four modes of attack' how I perveive it is, that the specific pattern does not matter too much. Like, whatever my opponent is doing it falls into such a mode and I do not need to know a specific counter for a specific pattern I just need to know how to counter such a mode of attack.

Or we train 'Pushing Hands' and apart from learning about spacing, covering and timing we learn that we can get to the sides or the back of an opponent and that what ever one can do is only 'within ones reach' or the opponent can only do what is 'within his reach'. If I go back I may get out of my opponents reach but at the same time he's getting out of my reach.
          However, as mentioned above, there is also the point of direction, for example: if my opponent goes straight line and I go to his side, we're still in reach, but I'm in a position of advantage.

This brought together, just as an illustration, if a Tan Tui Practitioner would tend to react to perceived pressures in executing a linear sequence of patterns in a straight 'pressing' forward motion, then I would as a Tai Chi Chuan learner 'give him the perceived pressure or thread' triggering his forward execution prepared to step to his side should he move vigorously forward. If so, I don't even have to have a pattern in mind 'how to counter Tan Tui'. Once I'm at his side or even back the advantage is on my side.

But that's not completly 'calculable' anymore as it also to a big degree depends on the awarness, alertness and speed and agility as well as experience in sparring (incuding timing, covering, spacing...) of the sparring partners.

What I tried to illustrate is, that as a Tai Chi Chuan learner I'm not instructed to see 'it happening' on a straight line, for me its 360 degrees and a circle. I'm not instructed to react to patterns with just a pattern (where the other can trigger a foreseeable reaction), I'm getting trained to adjust my position in relation to my 'opponent's position' looking for advantages (whether this is the position of my arm or my complete body). I'm not instructed to react to pressures and this is in 'keeping distance straight' sort of, I'm instructed to apply 'circular against straight'.

On the other side I was supposing, that a Tan Tui practitioner may have more awareness of reach and spacing. I thought that it may be an integral part of Tan Tui that one learnes his reach and is aware of the reach of an opponent and how to 'play with reaches' (like opponent tries to come in with strike but get's stopped by a kick - so he was so focused on his strike that he was not aware of the theme of reach and he got countered before he could get into reach for a strike).

So, it keeps being interesting, quite sure the Tan Tui courses with Sitaigung will be marvelous.

Thank you very much,

With Shaolin Salute,
          Michael

Comment

Dear Michael, Shaolin Wahnam Family, and Friends,

Michael, thank you for reply and further inquiries. I appreciate the consideration, interest, and effort you put forth into your reply. I will do my best to respond your thoughtful post. Also, I would like to invite other, regardless of their experience in Tantui, to give their thoughts, experiences, and perspectives. Personally speaking, I've gained much benefit in reading the sincere words of others.

There is many points we can discuss. I'd like to start off with these ones:

Originally posted by MichaelS View Post
            Even though I'm still a beginner in Tai Chi Chuan I was wondering about the Tai Chi Chuan Practitioner asking how to counter Tan Tui.
            Taijiquan is a wonderful, profound art and the opportunity to attend Sifu's Taijiquan Intensive Course is a precious gift. In 2004, I was fortunate enough to attend one in Toronto and made a deep impact in my practice even though it is not my specialization. I do occasionally practice "Grasping the Swallow's Tail," "Cloud Hands," and various techniques which help me deepen my understanding of the arts as a whole as well as enhancing my health, vitality, and spiritual joy.

I appreciate your questions regarding how to counter Tantui with Taijiquan. These questions, if earnestly persued, will reward you with depth of understanding and skill. I've personally benefited from asking such questions.

In theory, I believe one should have all the relevant knowledge and techniques to counter Tantui after attending an Intensive Course. For example, could you use the fifth Taijiquan combat sequence, "White Crane Flaps Wings" to counter the first Tantui sequence, "Big Boss Offers Wine?"

With all that said, the real key to deep understanding is consistent, correct, and sincere practice.

You say you used a Strike followed by a kick as coupe de grace. However, also in Tai Chi Chuan we use faint moves were we initiate with a strike but intend a kick for example.
            I am glad you could recognize the use of the strike as a feint to disguise the real attack, the kick. This is what happened when I sparred with my senior. When I executed the technique, "Rising Dragon Galloping Tiger," the hanging fist acted as the "feint attack" and the kick was the "real attack." Please note the hand attack can be real or feint. If my senior failed to defend the hanging fist, it would be "real." It is good to identify this as a tactic which can be applied to any style of Shaolin Kungfu (including Taijiquan).

During the courses I find myself sometimes in the situation that even though it moved to a freer mode I'm still a bit stuck in either cooperation or in a mode where I think I have to use a secific pattern. Maybe this happened to the Tai Chi Chuan Practitioner you mentioned.
            If I'm not mistaken, Sifu has said the secret, the open secret, to combat efficiency is the practice and application of sequences. If we have sequence in mind and have practiced it well, we have a plan or map to victory. With a good, sound sequence, we need not worry about what technique we should apply next and allows us to focus on the skills needed. We merely flow into the next technique.

I'm quite certain my senior had all the techniques and skills to deal with each individual technique in the first sequence of Tantui. Also, he would have known and encountered the tactic of "Feint-Real Attack" before. He handled all my strikes crisply so I don't believe he was rattled or off-balanced. I believe the determining factor to the outcome was the application of a sequence. By using a sequence, I could flow from one technique to another, press him, and deliver the coup de grace as planned.

Once again, the key is to practice, practice, practice. Practice consistently. Practice wisely. Practice sincerely.

Michael, thanks again for your thoughtful post. I hope other will come in and share their own experience and understanding.

Best wishes,
            Mike

Comment

Dear Michael,

Sipakgung or Sisookgung,

thank you very much for your response and further description.

What I've already learned from first reading:

That there's quite a difference between a faint move and a feint move...

...even though being not a native English speaker it may sound quite similar. :-)

Thank you very much,

With Shaolin Salute,

Michael
              Last edited by MichaelS; 26 April 2017, 08:50 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

Dear Michael,

Thank you for your response.

Actually, I find your English to be good. And, to be fair, feint and faint do sound very similar to a native English speaker. I wouldn't be surprised if a native speaker mixed them up.

Best wishes,
                Mike

Comment

There is many benefits from learning Northern Shaolin Tantui from Sifu. Not only do we learn the techniques and their applications, we are given numerous skills and ways to further develop them according to our personal aspirations and needs. I am continually surprised with new discoveries as I continue to practice this art. I would like to share with you a recent one.

From some insight given by Emiko Sijie, I was inspired to practice Tantui as a qigong exercise. I was also inspired by the story when Sigung Ho taught one of the sultans of Malaysia the Shaolin Pakua Set to generate qi flow for good health, vitality, and longevity. To my pleasant surprise, I found it to be quite effective! It produced results such as invigorating energy flow within and outside the body, accumulating of a "pearl of energy" at the dantian, and calming the mind. The most notable effect for me was the improved qi circulation through the lower half of the body. My lower back, hips, and legs loosened and the qi flowed quite well all the way to the toes. As a result, I feel more lighter and stable.

Thanks to Sifu, we are given the skills to do so. We are able to practice Tantui to promote longevity, improve quality of life, and vitalize the spirit. It's a wonderful gift that can benefit people from all walks of life.

Best wishes,
                  Mike

Comment

Thank you all very much for the exciting and inspiring posts that have been made so far!

I was already pumped up for the courses with Sifu/Sigung/Sitaigung in July-August, but after reading what everyone has written, my happy anticipation for the special opportunity to learn from him has only grown.

It has been quite a rich adventure these past few months to go to various places and introduce/teach the basics of Tantui to both beginners and intermediate exponents. So far, I'd have to say that probably the person who has received the most benefits is...er...me. I am very grateful to Sifu (Sigung/Sitaigung) for this great learning opportunity to delve deeper into Tantui that has helped me to also change and grow as Shaolin practitioner.

Tantui is indeed special and has much to offer. One tiny example of the unique benefits of training Tantui is that it is easy to train this art without developing a recurrent lower-backache. Having trained in numerous other styles since I was a child, this is a most gratifying discovery - to say the least!

In my first post, I had invited people to come and join in this fun discussion. One of my questions was:

I would like to invite forum visitors and fellow Shaolin Wahnam members to post here and share their opinion on which version of the origin of the term 'Tantui' they think is correct. Also, which version is preferred?

This was in reference to this passage:

Before going any further, it is worth taking a moment first to consider the origin of the term 'Tantui'. This term comes from two sources:
                    a) from 'spring kicks', meaning 'to be released from a compressed situation', and not 'one of the four seasons of the year in a temperate country';
                    b) and from 'long tan si' which is word-for-word 'dragon-pond-temple', or the 'Temple of Dragon's Pond', where Tantui was first developed.

The word 'Tantui' is in Mandarin pronunciation. In the Chin Woo Association in Penang, where this is the first set practiced, regardless of what kungfu style students may specialize in later on, it is called and also spelt as, 'Tham Thui', which is in Cantonese. 'Tham' refers to 'pond' in Cantonese. The Temple of Dragon's Pond in Cantonese is 'Long Tham Chui'. In Cantonese, 'spring' in 'spring-kicks' is also pronounced as 'tan', or more precisely as 'than', just as it is written in English.

In Mandarin, 'tan' in 'Tantui' is also pronounced as 'than' as the Chinese pronounce it, and not as 'tan' when written in English spelling. Just as 'qigong' is pronounced as 'chi kung', and not as 'qi gong', in Spanish, 'Jose' is pronounced as 'ho say' and not as 'jose'.
                    Well, my personal perspective is that the both versions are correct. They are not contradictory to one another as I believe the first version originates with the Hui people who did train Tantui for combat but ultimately for spiritual cultivation, and the second version alludes to the account of a Hui warrior being severely injured in battle, receiving healing care at the Long Tan temple, and then teaching the monks there out of his gratitude for their generosity. Long Tan Temple, being a subsidiary temple affiliated with the imperially-blessed Shaolin temple, would naturally have communicated the existence of Tantui, and it makes sense that this would have been incorporated by and "improved" upon at the Shaolin temple.

So, as learing Tai Chi Chuan (I wouldn't call myself yet a practitioner) I'd ask: how does a Tan Tui practitioner 'tick and tock'?
                    Michael, this is a great question.

If I understand correctly, you have just attended an awesome Intensive Taijiquan course with Sifu/Sigung/Sitaigung. No doubt, through direct experience you have 'tasted' the unique wonders of Taijiquan. Soon you will be able to describe how a Taijiquan practitioner 'ticks and tocks'.

In the same way, I respectfully invite people wherever they may be, whatever their level may be, to come to this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to experience what makes a Tantui practitioner uniquely "tick and tock", and moreover to receive the wondrous benefits of good health, combat efficiency and spiritual joy, transmitted so skillfully and profoundly as only our Sifu/Sigung/Sitaigung can.

From the heart,

Emiko
                    Last edited by Emiko H; 3 May 2017, 02:47 PM.
                    Emiko Hsuen
                    www.shaolinwahnam.jp
                    www.shaolinwahnam.ca

INTENSIVE & SPECIAL COURSES -- PENANG 2018
                    Taught by Grandmaster Wong Kiew Kit
                    4th generation successor of the Southern Shaolin Monastery
                    Small and Big Universe Course: Nov 21 to 25
                    Becoming a Shaolin Wahnam Kungfu Practitioner: Nov 26 to Dec 2
                    Cultivating Spirit Nourishing Energy: Dec 2 to Dec 8
                    Intensive Chi Kung Course: Dec 9 to Dec 13
                    To apply, send email to: secretary@shaolin.org

Comment

Emiko Sijie, thank you for your insightful post. I was not aware of affiliation between Long Tan Temple and Shaolin Temple. Now I have a much clearer picture of the history of Tantui and its development over the ages.

Michael, thanks once again for your post. It has given me an opportunity to share my experiences. In doing so, I have gained much benefit and enjoyment. Here are some more thoughts I'd like to share:

Can it be - just to come up with something - that practising 'roads' becomes such a strong subconscious picture that he aligns mainly to the 'straight line'? Would a Tan Tui practitioner tend to execute one of his 'roads' in sequence (in a straigt line)? Would he tend to 'vigorously press forward'?
                      The term 'roads' as it relates to Tantui means 'sequence.' In Chaquan, another style of Northern Shaolin Kungfu, they also use the term 'roads.' Chaquan has been commonly referred to as 'Ten Roads of Cha Kungfu' or 'Shi Lu Cha Quan' in Mandarin Chinese. Here, the 'roads' are 'sets' where the movement and techniques go in all directions. Based on my experience, I interpret 'roads' as a way to develop internal force, flow, and skill and not necessarily referring to physical path of the techniques.

As you has keenly observed, Tantui is initially taught to be practiced in a straight line. According to my understanding, this approach allows a beginning student to practice the techniques systematically and develop skill in applying a "vigorously press forward" attack as you aptly said. Once the student has developed enough skill, he/she may practice it in ways other than in a forward, straight line and using tactics other than "pressing attack."

For example, it may be practiced by going backward as if one is feigning weakness to lead the opponent to the coup de grace, the kick. Or, it can be practiced to circle around to the opponent's side or back through side-step. Or, it can be practiced in one spot as if one is being attacked on multiple sides.

Sifu has not only taught the techniques but the skills to apply those techniques. He has generously transmitted the secret of qi flow and internal force which allows every student to develop marvelous skill. And, through practice, every student will gain a deeper appreciation and understanding of the term Sifu often says: "Kungfu (including Taijiquan) is alive."

Would he tend to react to perceived 'pressures or threads' ('what triggers executing 'his machine')?
                      A skilled Tantui exponent will merely responds with the next technique in the sequence or any technique of his choosing. This is the most simple, direct answer I can give. Perhaps it would be good to elaborate.

When I was sparring with my senior at that time, I did not know what techniques he would use. I did not think about how I should apply the techniques. I merely followed Sifu's instructions: "Just do the sequence." So, I did the sequence. I got a result much better than I had expected. This is an example of just following Sifu's instructions without overthinking leads to success.

Because I had practiced the techniques and developed the skills, I was able to do so. I practiced until I can perform sequence with good form, flow, and force. I practice until I can do it relaxed without thinking. I practiced with faith in Sifu, the Art, and myself. From my experience, this is the way one can become skillfully, respond marvelously, and receive the benefits such as good health, vitality, and spiritual joy.

To anyone is interested to get their own magical Tantui experience, I highly recommend attend the special course in Malaysia this summer. These skills I've talked about can only come from a genuine master like Sifu.

Many thanks,
                      Mike

Comment

Dear Emiko,

Dear Michael,

Sipakgung or Sisookgung,

thank you for your kind words and further explanations.

Regarding the origin of Tan Tui I do not have an opinion, have seen some different versions and somebody on a kung fu diskussion board suggested, Tan Tui may be much older as generally seen.

Also, going by the version of a 'hui' or 'muslim' warrior from western China teaching it around 1600 in eastern China, it would not be clear to me, 'exactly what' he was teaching. As it seems to me that there was sort of an evolution of Tan Tui and also legends refering to different versions (like for example 10 roads / 12 roads). Also, it's not clear by this account what his contribution was, if he learned it or the basis from a motherstyle etc. then the question would be still open, were it originated.

The history of Kung Fu and of the 'energy aspect' is more than 2.500 years old. Cultural exchange between the east and west ('and all in the middle') has the same old history, the 'silk road' for example dates back to 100 BC. Mohammed lived around 570-632 CE according to wikipedia and the first 'contact' of Islam with China was around 700 CE, however the islamic influence only became stonger starting around 960 CE. There were people 'converting' to Islam, there were people immigrating from islamic countries. Even though Tan Tui is wide spread within 'the hui people' it's origins are not clear to me at least, it just may have become very popular amongst the 'hui people' and it's practice may have been adjusted accordingly ('arabic poetry' - what it describes may have been practised before without this analogy).

Regarding the naming 'Tan Tui' therefore the same, if it was evolving (maybe out of a 'motherstyle') and when there are different versions then for me it would even be a different question from 'when on' it is called Tan Tui and what the naming event was or whether there was just one.

But the 'benefit' is in it's practice I guess and it's wisdom is in the style itself.

Quite sure the upcoming Tan Tui courses with Sitaigung will be marvelous.

Thank you very much,

All the best,

With Shaolin Salute,

Michael

Comment

In 2013, I encountered considerable doubt regarding my kungfu practice as the enthusiasm and liveliness had diminished. Although I was practicing on a regular basis, I had questions whether it was worth it to continue. With great fortune, I was given the opportunity to attend the 'Magic of Shaolin Tantui' course in 2014. In strong hopes of understanding kungfu more deeply, I wanted to come as a humble student and to be as open as possible to the teachings. In other words, I wanted to empty my cup in hopes it would be filled.

To facilitate this, I deliberately set two guidelines.

First, I would lay down all of my knowledge and understanding in service of being a good student of the arts and Sifu. I would listen, watch, and follow Sifu's instructions with a beginner's heart. It is not to say I would forget everything I had learned. If it is relevant and in service of the class, I would gladly pick it up and use it accordingly.

Second, rank, status, and accomplishment will not interfere with the learning and Sifu's teachings. The learning and Sifu's teachings comes first and seeking some sort of acknowledgement or confirmation is not the primary goal. It is not to say those things aren't important or irrelevant. Once again, they must be in service of the teachings and Sifu.

Even though much of the course material was taught before, I followed as if they were new and I was rewarded immediately. One of the first things Sifu taught was Horse-Riding Stance. I listened to his instructions intently and followed them as faithfully as I could. When I sat in the stance, I instantly felt the tremendous flow of energy and force, the 'pearl of energy' at the dantian, and a clearer presence of mind. In that brief moment, the doubts and questions cleared. I gained skill and experience much deeper than I had before. I gained insight into the great vastness of these arts. I gained deep feeling of appreciation for Sifu's tremendous generosity and skill. Because I emptied my cup, it could be filled.

Because of my experiences in the Tantui course, I have been using this approach in every subsequent course with Sifu. Every course would give me insights and results beyond my comprehension.

In short, I experienced fantastic results whenever I enter into any of Sifu's course with my cup empty. I come with the goal of being a better student. A better student of the Arts. A better student of Sifu.

Now I have deeper appreciation of the wisdom behind Sigung Ho's request when Sifu asked to be his student. That request was:

"Start from scratch."

Best wishes,
                          Mike

Comment

In Shaolin Wahnam, we have such a ridiculous amount of arts and sets to learn. What may be more ridiculous is Sifu's generosity in posting them on his website. Anyone can visit his website and learn them as they so choose. However, it is only learning them from a true master like Sifu can one be able to acquire and develop the skills to perform them at a high level.

Many years ago, I had questioned the importance of learning a large number of sets. As I develop further in these arts, I realized that we can derive much benefits from expanding our breadth because we have the heart-to-heart transmission. Sifu's words of "Having traveled the first mile, you will be able to travel hundreds of miles" or "yat lei tung, baak lei ming (一里通,百里明)" in Cantonese became clearer to me.

In terms of combat application, with great breadth, one can use a hundred techniques on one situation. With great depth, one can use one technique on a hundred situations.

In the Genuine, Traditional Shaolin arts, breadth and depth are two sides of the same coin. When one attains a good level of proficiency, breadth breedeth depth. Likewise, depth breedeth breadth.

With a variety of sets under my belt, I practiced and reflected upon how a Tantui exponent using sequence one would apply his techniques against various arts like Dragon, Tiger-Crane, etc. Because of breadth, I was able to deepen my deepth of understanding in Tantui.

In 2014, I decided to revisit the Ten Road Northern Shaolin Tantui I learned from a previous teacher. The first three sequences were very similar to the Twelve Road Tantui I learned from Sifu. So I decide to focus on the fourth one to uncover its applications and essence. I practiced it using the flow and skills Sifu has kindly taught me. After some period of time and reading the "Song of Secrets" about this version of Tantui, the applications of this sequence became more apparent.

Because of this discovery, I became to understand the wonder of the hook hand technique. I realized it could be used to counter nearly all techniques! I sought out other sets and arts using the hook hand such as Cha quan to further my understanding. As a result, I could see some applications in various techniques! Because of the depth in the Shaolin Arts, my breadth has grown.

For the record, I believe that one should pick a specialization and further develop in it. However, in Shaolin Wahnam, expansion of breadth is not at the cost of depth. We are able to learn other arts, do them well, and deepen our understanding of our own specialization.

The Northern Shaolin Tantui Sifu taught me has given me many benefits in the other arts I practice (including Qigong and Taijiquan) as well as enhancing the wonders of daily life. Sifu is always improving and I truly believe this upcoming course will be much better than his last one. What a wonderful opportunity to be had!

With kind regards,
                            Mike

Comment

Working...
                            X